Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So grandparents bought my son the 3-1 Creator Castle for Christmas, built it with him the other day, very cool set
this is the biggest set I've done with my kiddo so far and I love it, other than that when other kids (or some adults) play with it they've busted the drawbridge several times trying to force the mechanism while not understanding the locking part

I've loved most of the 3-in-1s I've done so far, though mostly haven't gotten around to doing the alternate models because they seem to use ~75% of the pieces so they're necessarily worse.

We're doing the Ferris Wheel now and I'm excited to see what might come out later this year to rival the other building-type Creator sets like Townhouse Pet Shop & Café

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Voice of Labor posted:

one extremely microscale and one also microscale, but bigger than the other.

first I think will be fine just slapped together using these in grey:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=232#T=C

for the second, alternating grey 1x1 bricks and 1x1 dark grey or grey transparent bricks should be fine. it's not exactly, like, the most elaborate of architectures, and I don't have to build the whole thing, but if someone had put some actual thought and care into a design, I'd be curious to see it.

e: might have to do some of the world financial center buildings too

You could also do one grey color snot bricks and then a different grey with grilles.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

After repeatedly trying to make a 3x9 Beware Batmobile and realizing that it cannot look like its model proportionally (especially when the 4x9 looks really good at every angle), I've decided that any large car can be 4 wide if it needs to be to work with the 9 length... so I might have to revisit a few of the ones that I've done, starting with the Brave & Bold one, maybe I'll work my original face back into a 4 wide model of it. It's another car that looks that little bit wider in animation too. '66 might get a relook too, it would benefit a lot from more space between its tailfins, and a bit more definition in the split two seat cabin area. The ones that already go out to 4 in places are fine ('89, BTAS, BvS), and the other ones fixed at 3 also work I think (Forever, &Robin, Tumbler, 2022).

So the mini/micro split isn't about width so much, it's about length, with the micro advent-scale being on average 6 studs long, and the mini advent-style being on average 9 studs long.

Update: So I messed around with 4 stud '66 and B&B designs and found neither really works well at 4 at all (despite B&B having a better hood possibility at 4)... both have great potential at 5 studs, but at that point they would need to be longer, and why keep using pinhole wheels instead of going to small real wheels, and suddenly I'm not looking at micro builds at all and more like old speed champions scale and aaaaaaaaaggggghhhh...

So I'm leaving them at 3-4 with 3 as the standard body width and 4 for extra wide bits of 3 stud cars.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 9, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

The_Doctor posted:

Which one is this?

I can't seem to find it anymore, maybe I imagined it :( Or it was a bricklink thing, but I swear I saw a preview for a 2022 set like it. Oh well.

Sivart13 posted:

this is the biggest set I've done with my kiddo so far and I love it, other than that when other kids (or some adults) play with it they've busted the drawbridge several times trying to force the mechanism while not understanding the locking part

I've loved most of the 3-in-1s I've done so far, though mostly haven't gotten around to doing the alternate models because they seem to use ~75% of the pieces so they're necessarily worse.

Same, we just build the initial design and don't re-do it. Maybe when my son is older he can have fun trying the alternate designs out. We have the 3-1 T-Rex too, but my son likes the t-rex so much we only tried one of the others for 2 or 3 seconds tops.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Holy poo poo I don’t put together many technic sets and this BMW gearbox is complicated. Seems to have come together alright though; without any error that I can tell, shockingly. I’ll probably be yearning for the simplicity of it come time to put on the 8 million stickers.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

OK, existential crisis over maybe, here's both Batmobiles from "The Batman" animated series circa 2004:

If I recall, the coupe style car is his original, and the one that's kind of that crossed with BTAS is the replacement car.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I only built the dog alternate model for 31021 (Cat and Mouse) and I refuse to apologize :colbert:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Cockblocktopus posted:

I only built the dog alternate model for 31021 (Cat and Mouse) and I refuse to apologize :colbert:

I've never built any of the official models from Deep Sea Creatures, Mighty Dinosaurs, Fire Dragon, or Wild Lion - I made cool robots out of them and left them like that.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 10, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We didn't do the alt sets for the Beach House (31118) because they're a step down from the excellent A-model. Did all 3 for the two recent Town Houses and all 4 for Deep Sea Creatures though.

Now they're all in pieces on a bedroom floor or reused into mocs though (mostly the former).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Which one of you bastards bought Barnes and Noble out of the 1989 Batmobile

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We didn't do the alt sets for the Beach House (31118) because they're a step down from the excellent A-model. Did all 3 for the two recent Town Houses and all 4 for Deep Sea Creatures though.

Now they're all in pieces on a bedroom floor or reused into mocs though (mostly the former).

31118 Beach House A model is very very good. I also have mine built at the moment. I dont know what i'm gonna do with it tho.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like the Collectible coins are returning starting on the 11th. If you want them you should probably be prepared to be ready as soon as they’re up since they seem pretty popular.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Bloop posted:

Even if you aren't planning to do all the weird ones, I'd LOVE to see the Batman Beyond batmobile

Here's a first attempt at a mini-scale one, to go with the 3-4 x 9 stud cars. I think it's technically around 5x11 counting protruding side studs and pointy bits, but I've been waiving dimensions extended by just fins, and the core cabin is about 4x7 so I think it works at the same scale. Entire design based around how to build the front fork in a 3-4 wide space.

And here's revision 2 with accompanying micro-scale build:

I changed the front fork to a different very slightly wider design since I couldn't stand seeing plate undersides on the outside of the original one - this did sacrifice the nice curve I had in the middle in favor of something more angular but overall I like the look a lot better.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 10, 2022

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Went to buy some stuff to try to get the tiger GWP, but the butthole tiger was sold out. Boo. Don’t really want $80 of stuff if I’m not starting with the big Tiger.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's a first attempt at a mini-scale one, to go with the 3-4 x 9 stud cars. I think it's technically around 5x11 counting protruding side studs and pointy bits, but I've been waiving dimensions extended by just fins, and the core cabin is about 4x7 so I think it works at the same scale. Entire design based around how to build the front fork in a 3-4 wide space.

And here's revision 2 with accompanying micro-scale build:

I changed the front fork to a different very slightly wider design since I couldn't stand seeing plate undersides on the outside of the original one - this did sacrifice the nice curve I had in the middle in favor of something more angular but overall I like the look a lot better.

nice

very much instantly recognizable as what it is, which I guess is the real test!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Bloop posted:

nice

very much instantly recognizable as what it is, which I guess is the real test!

Thanks!

There are a lot of Beyond-mobile MOCs out there, I'm particularly fond of these two:
https://www.bricklink.com/r3/studio/design.page?idModel=113781
https://www.flickr.com/photos/102567866@N06/19591482989/

The smaller minifig-scale one doesn't nail the shape exactly, but it looks really good and is a perfect size to be swoopable.

Unrelated, but I just did a season 1 Superfriends Batmobile, which is basically '66 with some lines simplified, no exhaust pipes or siren, and a somewhat more serious front bumper. It has a very subtle downward hood V that just can't be done at this scale (or maybe any unless it was very large and individually tiled) since it descends in two directions at once. So I left it flat.

Quick and more or less just a mod of my '66 build.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I got my email from Lego regarding the first round of bricklink designer sets shipping to North America. Said they should be going out at the end of January and I'll get my castle when I get it due to global shipping issues. I'm glad they finally sent an update I was getting worried that maybe they'd forgotten my order.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Scipiotik posted:

I got my email from Lego regarding the first round of bricklink designer sets shipping to North America. Said they should be going out at the end of January and I'll get my castle when I get it due to global shipping issues. I'm glad they finally sent an update I was getting worried that maybe they'd forgotten my order.

Yeah I was worried for a bit when it said it went into back order, but my fishing boat will ship until end of Feb apparently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I can't seem to find it anymore, maybe I imagined it :( Or it was a bricklink thing, but I swear I saw a preview for a 2022 set like it. Oh well.

Was it this Ideas set? It just achieved 10,000 supporters so it may yet be real!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The_Doctor posted:

Was it this Ideas set? It just achieved 10,000 supporters so it may yet be real!

Nice! I might actually get that if it becomes real.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They just announced the 36 that made the next review.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/294d596d-bbb4-4fff-b0e0-da7c7b21e0da

I'd kill for the Big Boy Train.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol at the coral reef. Least enjoyable build ever.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Riverside Scholars is by far my favorite of those, though it is very large.

The orchid and terrariums are really nice too.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

lol at the coral reef. Least enjoyable build ever.

Yea, that's just a mess. There's several that are just kind of messes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Quick and more or less just a mod of my '66 build.

Make the windows transparent yellow and you got yourself a Classic Space mode too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Make the windows transparent yellow and you got yourself a Classic Space mode too!

:v:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

That's an awesome space car!

Why is red space Batman so menacing?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Seriously, Brooklyn 99? Because the office isn't boring enough

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

B99 would probably be the first sitcom set I bought. :blush:

I like that, Steampunk Explorers, Meeting Point, Pirate Tavern, and Riverside Scholars.

I can see them making Gremlins as they’ve already done the hard part of making Gizmo/gremlin heads.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Scipiotik posted:

I'd kill for the Big Boy Train.

I love my Lego trains and all but that's just too big. I see peoples videos of their custom trains that are so huge, the gauge of the track is so tight that the rears just swing wide so far past the track. Lego needs a new train but I wish there was a happy medium between the younger playset focused ones and some $400 3000 piece that's just the engine.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lego 6-car Shinkansen.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The Christmas set lover in me would love to see Gremlins. Still dreaming of a Golden Girls set going up for a vote sometime.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So something else I'm tinkering with - the tank from TDKR. This is the "mini" version, '89 car for scale.

It's about 21x12 studs, making it about 2.5x the size of a car on each axis. Does anyone know what scale it's meant to be? It definitely seems large in the comic.

So this thing is definitely still in progress... I packed all these greebles in the tread center area, but they're in past the treads, when they need to come out of the body into the tread area, so that all needs a rework. The face on the front was the first thing I made when I had a smaller final tank in mind, and needs to be enlarged a bit. I also need to find a way to thread an axle from the head to the body, which will probably require a rework of my neck ring assembly. The neck rings and head are pretty well hooked together but ultimately the head and neck are held onto the body by 4 studs right now, and that's gonna fail. The spine doesn't actually connect, it's like 1/3 of a plate off vertically where it meets the head and the last gap is closed with round tiles - not that it would offer that much additional support.

The other thing on my mind about this is that treads seem to be totally manual in Studio? Like there's no snap or assist with them at all? So while I have these placed nicely I think, and the ends actually meet correctly, I have no idea if the tread count is right or if they would interface with the gears and work in real life.

Has anyone dealt with treads in Studio?

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 10, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Well your gears appear to be interlocking, and therefore turning against each other, so I'd say that's your main issue first and foremost!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Well your gears appear to be interlocking, and therefore turning against each other, so I'd say that's your main issue first and foremost!

Ha! I hadn't even thought about that... since the lower two tension the chain, I guess I need to put another plate between the two gear layers so they can't meet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that Land Ahoy one looks really neat. I'd buy it if they did that one. The rubik's cube one is also interesting, but it seems like it is too fiddly. The fact that it kind of works just means someone would pick it up, be too rough with it and then it just falls into a bunch of pieces. Everything else is just a big mess of pieces that would be terrible to build, or it's just not interesting. The JWST looks like it is absolutely huge and would cost 400 dollars based on a video I saw of it. People need to be more realistic.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Yea, that's just a mess. There's several that are just kind of messes.

Why does Lego even deign to let models like these go forward? Thing has three billion unique elements in two billion colours, it would never be made.

edit: I also lol at pitching the Naruto model which has been on sale for at least a year already by knockoffs

edit edit: The emergency box is a funny idea

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 10, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mameluke posted:

Why does Lego even deign to let models like these go forward? Thing has three billion unique elements in two billion colours, it would never be made.

edit: I also lol at pitching the Naruto model which has been on sale for at least a year already by knockoffs

edit edit: The emergency box is a funny idea

I think they should revisit some of their recent contest entries, just thinking of that giant reef idea, for example, here are two better things from the recent seaside contest:

A much more manageable reef vignette:
https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/52673310-3aeb-400f-a313-11924fee54b7/application/ba9241b2-dc80-4b1f-b082-13aa70f092b8

A really awesome sea turtle (I really hoped this would win):
https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/52673310-3aeb-400f-a313-11924fee54b7/application/1fe11050-01ad-446e-a8a4-398f2daa578e

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man I kinda like a bunch of those Ideas sets. Looking to forward seeing what gets picked and how those ones change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Mameluke posted:

Well, these are just the Ideas submissions that have received 10,000 votes and thus qualify for review. Lego hasn't even looked at them properly yet, it's just how the system works. Most of them get thrown out pretty much immediately for reasons like that.

I quite like the Magic Bookends one, that's a cute idea. Although it'd need at least a minor redesign - the blue windows in the middle book are the 60s style windows that haven't been made in decades.