Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ardennes posted:

Sorry for the spoiler, but yeah, it eventually landed on the guy least qualified for the job. The IJN by mid-1944 was largely a spent force and an aggressive strategy only really works if you can do serious damage with sustainable causalities.

Btw, current Russian doctrine is also aggressive-defensive but I think there is much more of an argument to be made the Russians could do serious damage before NATO could fully respond.

Battle of Leyte Gulf = Hood's Tennessee Campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Battle of Leyte Gulf = Hood's Tennessee Campaign

so what, surigao strait is franklin?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what, surigao strait is franklin?

Actually Franklin is Phillipine Sea and Nashville is Leyte Gulf

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I think Hood had a better chance of actually doing something than Toyoda did even if both were in a desperate situation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every time i read about the western theater its boundary keeps getting pushed east. technically sherman in savannah on the atlantic ocean is the western theater. the eastern theater feels confined to the chesapeake

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

every time i read about the western theater its boundary keeps getting pushed east.

---- Jeff Davis reading telegrams 1864-5

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Also, I think Hood had a better chance of actually doing something than Toyoda did even if both were in a desperate situation.

I don't think either of them had a chance and I think it was the same stupid "strategy" both times

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hehe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

I don't think either of them had a chance and I think it was the same stupid "strategy" both times

I think Hood could have possibly at least isolated some Union forces and complicated Union operations even if he couldn’t have stopped Sherman. Toyoda sacrificed the Japanese fleet without any real hope of operational success. Both were poor plans, one poorer than the other.

Yamamoto has certainly been over-celebrated by some writers to sell books but he was still the best man for the job.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sullat posted:

Bengasine pasta looks just like spaghetti, so I guess it ain't going away.

Now every time I eat spaghetti I will think of vilerat. Thanks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BENGASINE AIN'T GOIN' AWAY

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Bucatini was an inside job

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reading on henry lane wilson's wiki page and i came across this quirk:

quote:

Wilson served in the U.S. Foreign Service during the presidencies of William McKinley (1897–1901), Theodore Roosevelt (1901–1909), and William Howard Taft (1909–1913), and briefly under Woodrow Wilson. He was appointed Minister to Chile in 1897, remaining in that capacity until 1904, when he was made Minister to Belgium, serving in Brussels during the height of the Congo Free State controversy.

Wilson was appointed Ambassador to Mexico by President Taft on December 21, 1909. At the time it was the only diplomatic post with the rank of ambassador.

was there some sort of reorganization of the state department going on at this time?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

at the time ambassadors were reserved for nations you had an exceptional close relationship to otherwise you sent envoys and plenipotentiaries

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

reading on henry lane wilson's wiki page and i came across this quirk:

was there some sort of reorganization of the state department going on at this time?

That was still pre-WW1, so probably a precedence/protocol thing thing with the European powers only deigning to recognize (shudder) republicans like those Americans as sending ministers and Americans only deigning to recognize Mexico and not (shudder) those potential colonies as neer-peer enough to deserve anything more than a minister or consul.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The whole world in 1914 was what, 50 countries?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this dolphin was a race traitor

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Some arsehole tried to shoot it, it wasn't rammed by a ship or anything.
A variety of dolphin extremely uncommon in NZ waters so maybe just finding friends where it could.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

In 1904, someone aboard the SS Penguin tried to shoot Pelorus Jack with a rifle.

“Who must go?”

quote:

SS Penguin was a New Zealand inter-island ferry steamer that sank off Cape Terawhiti after striking a rock near the entrance to Wellington Harbour in poor weather on 12 February 1909. Penguin's sinking caused the deaths of 75 people, leaving only 30 survivors. This was New Zealand's worst maritime disaster of the 20th century.

quote:

Jack was last seen in April 1912.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

“Who must go?”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/HqLincoln/status/1481856392726200322

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FDR posted:

And while I am talking to you mothers and fathers, I give you one more assurance.

I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again:

Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars.

They are going into training to form a force so strong that, by its very existence, it will keep the threat of war far away from our shores.

The purpose of our defense is defense.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fdr should have been impeached and convicted over pearl harbor with henry wallace leading the war in europe

marines would have been at stalingrad

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

and then he would get to press the decision button that lets America annex the entire Soviet Union

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and then he would get to press the decision button that lets America annex the entire Soviet Union

the USSR would have declared war on germany before us so even if we had troops they'd still get ownership as each province was capped

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Booker4KY/status/1481685602059886595

"misguided"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm reading Michael Swanson's latest book, which is about America's early involvement in Vietnam. He relates a story about a WSJ journal article from 1958 about a bunch of corruption wrt US involvement in Laos that nobody read that was reprinted in Reader's Digest and then caused a heck of a scandal

Just the idea of Reader's Digest blowing the whistle on government corruption and really getting a bunch of people riled up is the most 1950's poo poo I've ever heard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just a bunch of dudes in gray suits and black hats taking the train home from work reading Reader's Digest while chainsmoking and being like "Wow. There's a country called Laos. And we're doing some hosed up things there. It sure is 1958."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ben garrison is our norman rockwell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the body language is so good. austria and bulgaria may as well be dabbing. bulgaria is even stabilizing its new crown

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like looking at city and county historical data on twitter, lookin' up podunk towns and poo poo. took it up as a hobby in 2009

to date, this is the only town i've ever found that lost people every decade of the 20th century except during the great depression. manistee, michigan:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paging joementum, i know he'd have a tidbit

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The county where I'm from lost population in every census since it peaked in the 1930 census, with there being about half the number of people today as there as 1930. Individual towns are mostly in decline but occasionally see an increase as old farmers go into one of the local retirement homes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverJia1014/status/1483858854983368704

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm not sure Arther McArther is the joke you want to tell four times.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I wonder how much looted war gold he is sitting on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
e: nm