Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We get hosed up and take pride in our survivors, but like don't like talk to them or ask them what they think should happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Junkie Disease posted:

We get hosed up and take pride in our survivors, but like don't like talk to them or ask them what they think should happen

Our culture isn't interested in people, it's interested in mascots.
Nice, quiet mascots that we can project whatever beliefs we want on to them without the pesky risk of them contradicting us.

It's why Americans love ARE HERO ESSENTIAL WORKERS, but get pissed off if any of them try to ask for basic decency or fair wages or for people to wear a mask.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Remember when jet flyovers for Essential Workers were a thing, and a Canadian pilot died?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

the_steve posted:

Our culture isn't interested in people, it's interested in mascots.
Nice, quiet mascots that we can project whatever beliefs we want on to them without the pesky risk of them contradicting us.

It's why Americans love ARE HERO ESSENTIAL WORKERS, but get pissed off if any of them try to ask for basic decency or fair wages or for people to wear a mask.
teh TROOPS are important heroes that serve our country bravely!
those gold star family scumbags gave trump covid!
teh SURVIVORS are important heroes that went through a terrible tragedy!
david hogg is a scumbag trying to take advantage of a terrible tragedy!
teh UNBORN are precious baby angels with all the same thoughts and feelings as you!
babies are gross, keep your legs closed, bitch!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Fortunately we weren't doing Christmas at our house this year, so when my mom's husband started talking about how Joe Rogan and Dana White cured themselves of covid using natural supplements, and how Candace Owens and Ben Carson were incredibly smart, I was able to say "Well I guess I'd better get going."

e: He was specifically talking about Ben Carson being incredibly smart about politics, I should clarify. Ben Carson is incredibly smart when it comes to his profession, which isn't politics.

Oooh you could do this for lots of things about basic hygiene and safety.

"Normal" people: checking to make sure their chicken is cooked properly
"Conspiracy theorists": happily eating raw chicken

"Normal" people: washing their hands at the sink after taking a poo poo
"Conspiracy theorists": happily eating potato chips with poo poo covered hands

"Normal" people: driving slowly and carefully on the ice with their seatbelt on
"Conspiracy theorists": happily doing 75 mph while not wearing a seatbelt over icy roads

...oh wait, that last one actually happens quite a bit around here.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Someone do a follow up with the bottom image replaced with people on ventilators while the “normal” people keep shopping

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My family had my sister wearing a “Let’s Go Brandon” hoodie. No one mentioned a drat thing which probably pissed her off.

My wife’s family just had my sister in law talking about how awesome Joe Rogan is. My brother in law (who loves Ayn Rand and has a “The South Was Right” book) was surprisingly quiet with the bullshit.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

They’re probably working through having to be mad at Trump about the boosters

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I feel like 'Lets Go Brandon' is a self own where most people would be laughing at you and not with you.
Aren't you supposed the big tough people? Why are you scared to say a naughty word?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

duffmensch posted:

They’re probably working through having to be mad at Trump about the boosters

I love how Ben Garrison is over Trump too

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The white dots are corona virus.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

HootTheOwl posted:

I feel like 'Lets Go Brandon' is a self own where most people would be laughing at you and not with you.
Aren't you supposed the big tough people? Why are you scared to say a naughty word?

It's so weird considering that even something like "that frickin Cheeto in the white house" has more teeth, as an insult. I thought you were supposed to hate this guy, and you won't even say gently caress him?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HootTheOwl posted:

They just want to be asked about it, so I never ask. It's great! My dad tried to float it past me and I reacted like he'd said nothing. That little look of deflation is lovely. Just, decadant.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The appeal is getting away with a "transgressive" phrase in polite society and thinking they're triggering the libs. It's a code phrase and shibboleth to indicate their support and group identity while providing plausible deniability.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

wow I fixed it!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

:drat:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DarkHorse posted:

The appeal is getting away with a "transgressive" phrase in polite society and thinking they're triggering the libs. It's a code phrase and shibboleth to indicate their support and group identity while providing plausible deniability.

Yeah, despite all their bluster most of them don't have the guts to wear shirts or fly flags that straight up say "gently caress JOE BIDEN." They also probably hope/fantasize that someone will ask them what their shirt means while they're out and about too, hence why that one poster's sister was upset when nobody mentioned it.

Also apparently somebody said "Let's go Brandon" to Biden and he was like "Yeah man, let's go Brandon!" which my mom's husband thought was the funniest thing.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, despite all their bluster most of them don't have the guts to wear shirts or fly flags that straight up say "gently caress JOE BIDEN." They also probably hope/fantasize that someone will ask them what their shirt means while they're out and about too, hence why that one poster's sister was upset when nobody mentioned it.

Also apparently somebody said "Let's go Brandon" to Biden and he was like "Yeah man, let's go Brandon!" which my mom's husband thought was the funniest thing.

My boss, who is convinced everyone who doesn't tongue-bathe Trump's feet worships Biden, said it to me a couple of weeks ago and I replied with "yeah, gently caress Joe Biden" and he was legitimately taken aback that I would say it out loud and that a leftist would say such a thing.

I told him that "Let's go Brandon" was for cowards and he's been huffy about it ever since.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Devorum posted:

My boss, who is convinced everyone who doesn't tongue-bathe Trump's feet worships Biden, said it to me a couple of weeks ago and I replied with "yeah, gently caress Joe Biden" and he was legitimately taken aback that I would say it out loud and that a leftist would say such a thing.

I told him that "Let's go Brandon" was for cowards and he's been huffy about it ever since.

Reminds me of those people who used to say "If we put Trump in jail we should put Clinton/Obama/Whoever in jail and get surprised when you agree 1000%"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was a sports thing and the crowd was chanting "gently caress Joe Biden" and the anchor either misheard or was trying to cover it up and reported they were saying "Let's Go Brandon!"

Edit: Tucker Carlson apparently looks uncannily like the psycho from Offerings

Also like a dog that's been shown a card trick

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2021

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Tucker always looks like he is mid debate on, "Fart or Shart?" to himself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DarkHorse posted:

It was a sports thing and the crowd was chanting "gently caress Joe Biden" and the anchor either misheard or was trying to cover it up and reported they were saying "Let's Go Brandon!"

Yes but also a cop called into Santa tracker and said it

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

I like the guy on the right sliding ever further to the right as time goes on

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Just keep the guy on the left's expression the same and have him saying gently caress Joe Biden and it's more accurate

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aww, they're finally trying to invent a reaction they didn't get.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/TexasGOP/status/1479540652513841161?s=20

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Not RWM but RWM adjacent: you gotta hand it to him

Edir: correction to my previous post, you don't gotta hand it to him

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

If you can wait in line to vote, then you can wait in line for bread and other staples. Wait that's communism!!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

If you can wait in line to vote, then you can wait in line for bread and other staples. Wait that's communism!!

There's also the GOP preference to shorten early voting periods and eligibility. So, imagine everyone trying to get COVID tests on one day.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Waiting in line at the grocery store sounds like communism!

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
OSHA is for pussies???
?Fun? Conversation I had last night.

Me -What FARS do you recommend?
Me - I have to fix my roof and don’t want to die

TheLogicalOne - Stop being a pussy

TheLogicalOne - You won't do work that's risky but Ive got the chip.

Me - *Won’t do work that is risky without proper safety equipment.
Me - Please learn the difference between being safe and being unwilling to work.

TheLogicalOne - There is no such thing as proper safety equipment. Astronauts have billion dollar budgets to ensure their safety and even their rockets explode sometimes

I’ve removed most of my responses starting here.
I was at a loss of how to respond so I started trolling them about Space Center tickets/tours/breakfast with Astronauts offers.
If anyone wants the full conversation I can post it.

TheLogicalOne - You're very life in every technology that you enjoy is a result of people taking risks without the proper safety equipment

TheLogicalOne - No I'm not that's what safety is it's an attempt to mitigate risk and one of the problems that is often encountered is that you create greater risks if you have to use gloves because there may be a risk of electrocution then you're going to be less dexterous and risk more. If you have to wear a mask you aren't going to get as much oxygen. Risk and safety go hand in hand.

TheLogicalOne - The best way to manage risk is to not be a p**** I'm not even kidding when I say that I know that it sounds like a meme. What is a person who works in an environment that completely ignores OSHA regulations on a regular basis like literally every other company in the world I can assure you the safest way to do something is to do it quickly to get in get what you need done and get out. The more agile you are the more dexterous you are able to be the better and the quicker you're going to get in and out without injury

TheLogicalOne - Really it's the same as riding a bike. The slower you take it the more cautiously the more risk-averse you are the more likely you're never going to achieve a speed where you will actually be able to balance

TheLogicalOne - And here's a really fun piece of information for you. This is something that exists from the ground up it's not companies demanding too much of their workers it's workers who say I don't want to put on the f****** harness every time I go up to change a light bulb

TheLogicalOne- If it were the employees being whiny little b****** all the time the company would fire them. But the fact of the matter is the company looks for and aims for people who will take risks.

Me - FARS is like a seatbelt, it doesn’t lower your risk of a crash but it makes one less likely to severely injure you.

TheLogicalOne - Yes and even that seat belt is a risk versus reward scenario there are people who have died because they can't get out of their car quickly enough because the seat belt has malfunction

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GrunkleStalin posted:

TheLogicalOne - Yes and even that seat belt is a risk versus reward scenario there are people who have died because they can't get out of their car quickly enough because the seat belt has malfunction

God if I had a dollar for every time I saw this argument over the last two years

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I know I see dozens of cars on fire or plunged into icy waters every day, but practically no collisions. Why are we preparing for collisions when everyone's drowning and burning to death? Madness

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It started off as risk compensation, the idea that if you make cars safer then people will drive more recklessly and the number of deaths will remain the same for reasons.

A huge part of it was from the anti-tax and anti-regulation movement of the 70s.

""If you force vehicle manufacturers to spend more making safer vehicles then people will just ram into one another for fun" - A Scientist" - A Vehicle Manufacturer

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How fun would that be though, if cars were safe enough the world could actually be bumper-cars

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

GrunkleStalin posted:

Risk and safety go hand in hand.

This sentence is true (safety is about assessing risk and then mitigating as needed). Somehow they are saying it to mean the exact opposite though.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It is somewhat true. Introducing pads and safety equipment to the NFL probably increased the intensity of hits and increased injuries.

However, that is due to the financial incentive placed on the players to hit the hardest and any weird bounty systems.

Unless there was a financial reason to drive recklessly, safety measures would not increase crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's somewhat true for boxing too, gloved boxing encourages blows to the head that would break your fingers bareknuckle.

Not for motor racing though, where people have been driving recklessly for money since someone figured you could put an engine on wheels, and safety improvements (both physical and the rules of racing) still improve safety.