Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Was it mentioned anywhere before that firestar wasn't a citizen? Did they decide that just now or did I miss something?

I pretty much only read xmen related books though for marvel so it could be that or my horrid memory.

I voted for her anyway.

This one doesn't seem like it's going to be as clear cut as the last. But I'm thinking it will be either syren or armor. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, if the bio says that Firestar hasn't joined Krakoa yet, then the shots of her in the crowd probably aren't canon and just artists drawing people in.

So if that is the case, that would be even more of a reason for me to want to see her join up. Maybe Kate and her can share some stories about Emma. Maybe we can see what Vance thinks of Krakoa since that's another well-known mutant from the 90s that we haven't seen in a while.

Surge would be my second pick, since I think she got left behind after some other New X-Men kids got used a lot.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe we can see what Vance thinks of Krakoa since that's another well-known mutant from the 90s that we haven't seen in a while.

Too bad they basically just made Vance into a cop, always on the side of the government. #JusticeForJustice

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I voted for Surge, because she's due for some more prominence.

I've been rereading a lot of old comics lately, and it's stunning how many characters are out there who get unceremoniously sidelined after a particular run. You wouldn't think from Kyle & Yost's New Mutants that, 10+ years later, Surge would be the one who gets almost no panel time, but here we are.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's wilder than that. Emma sets the barn on fire so that Firestar will believe that her powers are out of control and that she's responsible for killing her own horse. However, Firestar manages to SAVE the horse from the barn, but Emma, not to be outdone, just gives the horse a fatal aneurysm with telepathy. Which she somehow still manages to get Firestar to blame herself for.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Goddammit, I love comic books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor horse, thought of Emma and died.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are Firestar, Spider-Man, and Iceman still friends? Super friends, one might say?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How Wonderful! posted:

It's wilder than that. Emma sets the barn on fire so that Firestar will believe that her powers are out of control and that she's responsible for killing her own horse. However, Firestar manages to SAVE the horse from the barn, but Emma, not to be outdone, just gives the horse a fatal aneurysm with telepathy. Which she somehow still manages to get Firestar to blame herself for.
Emma Frost was like, deeply invested in the moral corruption of minors at the time, wasn't she? I'm guessing Empath probably soured her on the concept, but she had a wardrobe and everything so she wasn't about to quit right away.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Emma Frost from that era is simultaneously completely bathetic, and the hugest queen in the universe.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
You can splice hairs by saying Firestar's powers are microwaved based but at the end of the day is her power any different than Sunfire? Does the team need two fire-based people? Does this mean Sunfire will get offed in the first season rather than the usual first mission?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

You can splice hairs by saying Firestar's powers are microwaved based but at the end of the day is her power any different than Sunfire? Does the team need two fire-based people? Does this mean Sunfire will get offed in the first season rather than the usual first mission?
He could also be like "gently caress all y'all I'm going back to Japan."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gologle posted:

Are Firestar, Spider-Man, and Iceman still friends? Super friends, one might say?

Spidey and Iceman have been pretty chummy off and on since the Silver Age, but the way they introduced Firestar in the mainstream comics means they haven't interacted as much as you might think. She's a lot younger than Spidey in the 616.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

He could also be like "gently caress all y'all I'm going back to Japan."

Isn't he going to Mars Arrako with Storm and Magneto or did I completely make that up?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Sunspot is going to Arrako I think, not Sunfire

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Sunfire was on Arakko in the most recent X-Men and I believe a caption says that he's been spending a lot of time up there, but Sunspot was the only one specifically mentioned in the X-Men: Red teasers afaik.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Ah ha, that was the wire I crossed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Firestar was the only mutant smart enough to mostly avoid the X books for like twenty years.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Open Marriage Night posted:

Firestar was the only mutant smart enough to mostly avoid the X books for like twenty years.

This is Moira erasure.

(She's okay with it)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

danbanana posted:

This is Moira erasure.

(She's okay with it)

I'm just imagining how infuriating it must have been for Moira to plot with Charles and Magneto after she faked her death. "Okay, Magneto's dead, but Charles is going to telepathically contact me on Tu--no, never mind, his mind merged with Magneto and Earth's heroes sacrificed themselves to stop him and he lost his telepathy. But hey, Magneto's back now, better ring his Genosha number. Hmm, nobody's picking up. I guess I'll try Charles' this time. Wait. Scott, slow down. Who is Cassandra Nova? Oh, good, Magneto's back. Oh, he's crazy, Oh, he's dead. Oh, that wasn't Magneto after all. Oh, there go their powers. Are you there, Charles? Scott, you're saying he got shot in the head and Red Skull stole his brain? Well as long as I'm on the phone, could you put Magneto on? Wait, Charles is back already? I really need to talk to you two about Kra--you're saying Scott killed him? Good lord. I knew I should have picked somebody less fragile."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I'm just imagining how infuriating it must have been for Moira to plot with Charles and Magneto after she faked her death. "Okay, Magneto's dead, but Charles is going to telepathically contact me on Tu--no, never mind, his mind merged with Magneto and Earth's heroes sacrificed themselves to stop him and he lost his telepathy. But hey, Magneto's back now, better ring his Genosha number. Hmm, nobody's picking up. I guess I'll try Charles' this time. Wait. Scott, slow down. Who is Cassandra Nova? Oh, good, Magneto's back. Oh, he's crazy, Oh, he's dead. Oh, that wasn't Magneto after all. Oh, there go their powers. Are you there, Charles? Scott, you're saying he got shot in the head and Red Skull stole his brain? Well as long as I'm on the phone, could you put Magneto on? Wait, Charles is back already? I really need to talk to you two about Kra--you're saying Scott killed him? Good lord. I knew I should have picked somebody less fragile."

I think it's funnier if she already knew all this was gonna happen and didn't tell them about it. Like she's kicking back with popcorn laughing her head off each time Xavier or Magneto die or get cloned or get turned into babies or whatever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gologle posted:

It's basically one of those nebulous Schrodinger's Continuity things where they were never really seriously a thing in the comics, but every once in a while someone remembers the cartoons, so the comics tend to act as if the stuff that happened in the cartoons also happened in the comics. Issue #3 of the 2018 Iceman book had them palling around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Saoshyant posted:

Bad news on that front: she's been around for 15 years and no one's basically wrote anything interesting with her that I recall, much less give her the spotlight for a whole story.

This is an (urgent) invitation to drop whatever you are doing right now and go read Tom Taylor's X-Men Red.

I feel like I read an issue of X-Men red and liked it so it will go on the list.

Armor gets like nothing interesting written about her but I feel like she's in a lot of books as a Default Krakoan Strike Team Member but maybe I'm conflating 2-3 appearances.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gologle posted:

I think you mean amazing friends. Super friends are those other guys.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Rick posted:

Armor gets like nothing interesting written about her but I feel like she's in a lot of books as a Default Krakoan Strike Team Member but maybe I'm conflating 2-3 appearances.

Armor is one of the Six in S.W.O.R.D. to "refine" mysterium from the white hot room. She hasn't been used too much otherwise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, but I read New Warriors so it maybe didn't work out quite that well.

That reminds me: Is Marvel Boy a mutant?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Surge got my vote, seems kind of like the Marrow for this round. Would pick in a fighting game. Does look like Siryn will win it, these matchups are a bit gameFAQs character battle-esque. Put Link in there, at least in an annual.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, but I read New Warriors so it maybe didn't work out quite that well.

That reminds me: Is Marvel Boy a mutant?

Vance Astrovik/Justice? Yes but he's had almost no interaction with other mutants ever of note and when he did it was on the side of the Avengers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno why firestar wouldn't at least visit krakoa. it's not like she has much else going on.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

GOD IS BED posted:

Armor is one of the Six in S.W.O.R.D. to "refine" mysterium from the white hot room. She hasn't been used too much otherwise.

I don't think she's had more than a single appearance in all of SWORD, and I think that writers of those books are the ones to volunteer characters up so hopefully she wins it if Ewing's got nothing for her

or Surge, she should get to be in things again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno why firestar wouldn't at least visit krakoa. it's not like she has much else going on.
I mean...it might do to remember that Krakoa is fundamentally an extremist nation based on segregationist ideals and there are hundreds of reasons why any random average mutant wouldn't necessarily want to live there that these books mostly just politely ignore in order to not upend the line-wide status quo too much.

I feel like the continuing slow boil of the Hickman reboot going on for the third year now has kind of slowly desensitized everyone to the fact this whole Krakoa thing is actually still really g-drat strange and mostly hangs together, on a worldbuilding level, by duct tape, prayers, and sheer cheek.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 11, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

an extremist nation based on segregationist ideals

but enough about the us

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

but enough about the us

I mean it’s more like Israel, if Israel refused to allow non-Jews to visit

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And also Israel had no indigenous people and was an island in the middle of nowhere. So, not a lot like Israel, then.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Angry Salami posted:

And also Israel had no indigenous people and was an island in the middle of nowhere. So, not a lot like Israel, then.

It’s homeland for a specific oppressed people made explicitly for the defense in response to genocide, and all you have to do to gain citizenship is be born a member of said specific oppressed people. Seems a lot like Zionism to me

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I mean it’s more like Israel, if Israel refused to allow non-Jews to visit

Krakoa has at least two human citizens.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sol system is Israel, humans are the Palestinians

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s homeland for a specific oppressed people made explicitly for the defense in response to genocide, and all you have to do to gain citizenship is be born a member of said specific oppressed people. Seems a lot like Zionism to me

Again, the lack of a displaced people is a massive and crucial difference between Krakoa and Israel. Of course there's parallels, but it's not a 1:1 comparison.

site posted:

sol system is Israel, humans are the Palestinians

Magneto (?) does actually say this at one point, but the gist of his argument is that even though mutants should rightfully claim all of Earth, they are ceding all of it except for Krakoa to the humans.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i do like how the humans have been enormous whiny bitch babies about arakko. no one was doing anything with mars, despite the widely available super tech that made traveling there trivial. but then once mutants took over the dead, empty rock no one cared about it suddenly became the rightful property of the american capitalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

i do like how the humans have been enormous whiny bitch babies about arakko. no one was doing anything with mars, despite the widely available super tech that made traveling there trivial. but then once mutants took over the dead, empty rock no one cared about it suddenly became the rightful property of the american capitalists.

I think it also shows their pettiness that they lay claim to Phobos as if they realized that Krakoa had laid claim to only Mars itself. Like, having a much closer eye and base of operations to Arakko came in second after pedantically implying Arakko's moon didn't belong to it