Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Arguably Alanna got her just desserts too, as she basically bore all of Rand's pain even as she made him more capable of enduring it

Though I have no idea why she didn't just release the bond, holding a string to the Dragon seems a raw deal even if it's valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He let his guard down to heal him.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Going to be interesting to see the whiplash from non-book folks. I saw a lot of "yeah, Alanna is a badass boss!" type reactions throughout the season.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

jng2058 posted:

I mean he didn't really trust her so much as just be in the same room as her.

He let her touch him to heal him and after delving his injuries she bonded him.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

Going to be interesting to see the whiplash from non-book folks. I saw a lot of "yeah, Alanna is a badass boss!" type reactions throughout the season.

That's if they do that storyline.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I think you gotta keep it in, its so key to a lot of characterisation for the back half of the series

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It'd be weird to introduce her as a named character and then not do any of her stories.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It was her and Verin showed up in the Two Rivers, right? Having Perrin take point from an Aes Sedai was another of those little beats on his growth as a leader.

What I'm saying is don't you dare cut Goldeneyes.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

My friend is reading the books for the first time and he just finished TSR. He liked it but said that parts of it were "long-winded." I just laughed at him

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

goethe.cx posted:

My friend is reading the books for the first time and he just finished TSR. He liked it but said that parts of it were "long-winded." I just laughed at him

Yeah I just hit Crossroads of Twilight in my reread and.....whooo boy has my reading slowed down.

I went in with an open mind, I actually thought everything up to this was better than I remembered.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

goethe.cx posted:

I googled and apparently it's one of the longest books in the series, which I was not expecting.

But yeah, oof, not a great sign for them finishing things.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Just started Lord of Chaos and it has a 71 page prologue

Feel like I made this same complaint two years ago in this thread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ungratek posted:

I had forgotten that Lord of Chaos is when the prologues start spiraling out of control

Ungratek posted:

Path of Daggers was much better than I remembered. Pacing was really good throughout, and everyone’s plot had actual momentum. The lack of Mat didn’t really bother me because nothing the other characters were doing could have been mirrored in his arc.

Starting Winters Heart now, and I remember this being a slog until the end. 86 page prologue...

Ungratek posted:

Feel like I made this same complaint two years ago in this thread

Yes, yes you did.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I just hit Crossroads of Twilight in my reread and.....whooo boy has my reading slowed down.

I went in with an open mind, I actually thought everything up to this was better than I remembered.

CoT is really really DULL.

I've been stuck in it for like the past 6-8 months. I'm almost to the point of reading the last chapter and then jumping into KoD just so I can get past it to the snap back to early series pacing/form.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I skipped CoT and watched a synopsis on YouTube. Would recommend that to anyone, especially since The Gathering Storm is pretty great and has some good pay offs.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Winter's Heart was a bit slow but at least has a cool ending. CoT takes the cool ending and is like "what if we made it suck poo poo instead"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Notorious ZSB posted:

CoT is really really DULL.

I've been stuck in it for like the past 6-8 months. I'm almost to the point of reading the last chapter and then jumping into KoD just so I can get past it to the snap back to early series pacing/form.

if you are stuck with a bad book you should read a better book

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I mean part of me wants to slog through but there's just something about CoT that makes my eyes roll off the page.

And I say this as someone who can read 20 page philosophical discussions by grunt soldiers in Malazan.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Kudos to Jordan and Sanderson for really making me like Nynaeve by the middle of Towers of Midnight. Aes Sedai are bullshit. gently caress the police.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Thin red line

Thin red line

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Paddyo posted:

Kudos to Jordan and Sanderson for really making me like Nynaeve by the middle of Towers of Midnight. Aes Sedai are bullshit. gently caress the police.

Daighian :smith:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've reread the series at least 5 times and I've never actually fully read COT. No desire to either.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Barreft posted:

I've reread the series at least 5 times and I've never actually fully read COT. No desire to either.

Here’s the secret to reading CoT: only read the Mat chapters.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I seem to remember CoT being heavy on Perrin and Egwene, the least interesting POV characters

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

I seem to remember CoT being heavy on Perrin and Egwene, the least interesting POV characters

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Crossroads_of_Twilight/Statistical_analysis

quote:

Crossroads of Twilight contains 30 chapters, a prologue, and an epilogue and consists of 22 unique POVs and 45 individual POVs. It has a total word count of 264,665 words.

It's almost all Perrin and Elayne besides the other million POVs

e: updated, sorted by word count sry

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 11, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean Alanna kind of regrets the bonding and everything we can tell from the books she spent the time from then on out in constant state of panic/tortured/pain but she still maintained the bond. You kind of got to wonder if Rand would have been able to do and withstand what he withstood without being a bonded person. Also Alanna gets done pretty dirty in the books because after all of that she's captured tortured and then murdered all to get to Rand.

So kind of sucks for her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I mean Alanna kind of regrets the bonding and everything we can tell from the books she spent the time from then on out in constant state of panic/tortured/pain but she still maintained the bond. You kind of got to wonder if Rand would have been able to do and withstand what he withstood without being a bonded person. Also Alanna gets done pretty dirty in the books because after all of that she's captured tortured and then murdered all to get to Rand.

So kind of sucks for her.

I mean yeah, but her original goal was to bond him and then use the bond to force him to do whatever she felt he should do. It just didn't work because male channelers can't be forced to do stuff unlike people who can't channel IIRC.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah but once he's bonded by the polycule then Alanna didn't really need to maintain hers for him to get the benefit. At that point she was just doing it for who knows why - pride, I'd guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean yeah, but her original goal was to bond him and then use the bond to force him to do whatever she felt he should do. It just didn't work because male channelers can't be forced to do stuff unlike people who can't channel IIRC.

I feel like it was just...Rand. But it's also just a recollection, I don't have specific memory of ashaman warders having the bond used to compel them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

cailleask posted:

Yeah but once he's bonded by the polycule then Alanna didn't really need to maintain hers for him to get the benefit. At that point she was just doing it for who knows why - pride, I'd guess.

Because greens are very especially territorial over their warders. Like, another sister even telling a warder not her own to go do something is a slap in the face to them.

Also she was coping with the death of one of her warders, which i'm sure just made that territorialness even worse.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I can remember "Is Alanna BA for bonding Rand?" theories til AMOL.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I feel like it was just...Rand. But it's also just a recollection, I don't have specific memory of ashaman warders having the bond used to compel them.

I think the Ashaman who ended up bonded also couldn't be compelled? But I'm the one who forgot Rand got forcibly bonded so take that with some salt.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Barreft posted:

I can remember "Is Alanna BA for bonding Rand?" theories til AMOL.

*bonds Dragon Reborn against his will*
*kills self to drive him insane*

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/ppallo/status/1480570160612364291?s=21

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Pleads posted:

Better plan than anything Gawyn thought of.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pleads posted:

e: read wrong

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think its in the books that Ashaman that are bonded can't be compelled by their Aes Sedai.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

cailleask posted:

They weren't a polycule.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Ungratek posted:

I remember the first time I read it I was surprised when I got to the end of the prologue that I was reading the proloque - it was so long I had forgotten!

CoT is a bit long winded for sure and without Matt chapters would be a really tough slog, but it wasn't so bad that I skip it when I do re-reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah I had that same experience when "Ages come and pass..." showed up after I'd flipped through a big chunk of book already