Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I like almost no episodes with Daphne's family, and especially with Gertrude, but the Halloween ep when she gets in the prank war with the weiner kid next door is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh, who watches PBS?

I'll tell you who. Discerning, cultured viewers like yourselves.

This program was made possible due to a grant from the Ultra-Humanite, and viewers like you.

We really need more The Simpsons arcade clones.

Final boss is a giant robot with Maris inside it. Somewhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Final boss is a giant robot with Maris inside it. Somewhere.
The robot cracks and reveals the bloated head of MECHA-FREUDJEUNG.

Defeating that with over 90% listernership grants you the secret boss, NegaFrasier.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Losing a life plays "I AM WOUNDED"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagacity posted:

Later attacks can be blocked by "Have you forgotten that - not three levels ago - I was punched in the face...by a man now dead...?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Sagacity posted:

This just sounds like one of those old reskins of Wolfenstein 3d.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Frasier episode that dealt with gay stuff that I most remember is when there is a new handsome Station Manager(?) at the radio station, and Frasier invites him back to his house to set him up with Daphne, but the bloke is gay and thinks that he is on a date with Frasier.

Hilarity ensues.

I always felt bad for that bloke, because over the course of the evening Frasier leads him on pretty hard, (for a 90s show where the gag was "haha two men being flirty with one another is hilarious"), and the punchline is Daphne comes in all dolled up just when the guy finally says the magic words "I. Am. Gay.", so turns around and runs away in humiliation. And then Frasier just goes "sorry mate, not into dudes. I was trying to pimp you off to my housecleaner, heh." And this poor handsome man takes it all with far more grace and dignity than I would have.

I don't think he was ever seen again either.

Culture Cruise on YouTube covers this episode, and it's impressive just how many gay vibes Frasier is sending off.

I actually like his stuff a lot in general. He does a great job providing the contexts that a lot of these shows were produced around and really explaining the way people felt about this. Also, he doesn't just say "this doesn't work according to modern sensibilities," nor does he just say "it was a different time back then." https://youtu.be/3o65Oia-j5I

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This show is constantly unclear on the labor situation at KACL.

Like the contracts for the on-air personalities are negotiated individually but all the producers and techs have a separate combined contract?

And sometimes Roz calls Frasier her boss which... yeah I guess? It's not like Frasier could run the show without her though.

As far as Roz goes- it's the Frasier Crane show. At the end of the day, she answers to Frasier. She screens the calls, she is running the clock, I'm assuming she's monitoring the levels.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Just restarted the series, and I don't think I watched the last few seasons the first go around because I felt the show had moved so far away from it's original feel. Is it worth finishing them or is there a certain season I should pretend it ends at?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Basically once Nile's and Daphne get together it's not a good show anymore. Probably a season before that even.

Like it still has good jokes occasionally but it's not as good.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Basically once Nile's and Daphne get together it's not a good show anymore. Probably a season before that even.

Okay yeah, I think this is about the time I checked out mentally last time. I'll stop then. Thank you!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, so season 9 and 10 just kind of fall off overall, and the show definitely feels weird during that time.

However, I would recommend checking back in for season 11. Basically, the crew realized that the show lost its footing, and decided to do that they can to go out on a high note. So season 11 really gets back into the classic groove of Frasier. You got the episode where Martin eats a pot brownie and Niles thinks he's eaten a pot brownie and hilarity ensues.

So yeah, give season 11 a chance.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Also, the episode where they go to a spa and see someone going through a door to a more exclusive area was pretty classic imo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guys are far too hard on the show. Its not the Simpsons. Its the pinnacle of the genre, and you must accept that the sitcom has been brutally massacred in the wake of the prestige television era.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sagacity posted:

Also, the episode where they go to a spa and see someone going through a door to a more exclusive area was pretty classic imo.

Lol the platinum door. One of my top five, probably.

I'm with most other folks, once Niles and Daphne got together the writing changed and had more melodrama and less comedy. I also didn't much like the Mel and Donny stuff even before that, whatever season that was. But yeah, 11 has some surprising series highpoints for being so late in the game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Donny is the fuckin worst.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

codo27 posted:

You guys are far too hard on the show. Its not the Simpsons. Its the pinnacle of the genre, and you must accept that the sitcom has been brutally massacred in the wake of the prestige television era.

https://twitter.com/MatthewACherry/status/1480545643349241857

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I now hunger for the gritty Frasier reboot. I want the episode where Niles accidentally ODs and Frasier has to break down his bathroom door and they both realize how they're constantly drinking and eating handfuls of prescription pills.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd say the show never gets "not good" as a whole. It just downgrades from "great" to "good". The average season 9 - 11 episode is roughly equivalent to the average season 1 - 2 episode. There's nothing as good as the best season 1 - 2 episodes anymore, but the baseline quality is still pretty impressive.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

What the gently caress

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Ugh that two parter with Niles' heart surgery is probably the worst run of eps in the series

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I now hunger for the gritty Frasier reboot. I want the episode where Niles accidentally ODs and Frasier has to break down his bathroom door and they both realize how they're constantly drinking and eating handfuls of prescription pills.

I like the idea of them both becoming huge pill hounds who prescribe to each other

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

after reading the red book for the first time since college, niles rebrands as an esoteric jungian shaman

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I like the idea of them both becoming huge pill hounds who prescribe to each other

This may be less 'gritty reboot' than 'behind the scenes featurette'

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, so season 9 and 10 just kind of fall off overall, and the show definitely feels weird during that time.

Maybe something to do with co-creator David Angell and his wife dying on one of the planes to hit the World Trader Center. Season 9 premiered 9/25/2001.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Frasier was an op???

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say to give them a spin because even mediocre-to-bad Frasier is still better than most of its contemporaries. The dynamic definitely changed, yeah, but there was noooo loving way they could have kept drawing on Niles' unrequited longing for much longer, and that was like 85% of his entire character. As mentioned, David Angell's passing probably had a lot more to do with the quality dip.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh yeah I'll still watch that garbage.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol the platinum door. One of my top five, probably.

just watched this a couple days ago

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Not being an expert --- it's on my list for another rewatch soon, but I can't just make all the episodes from each season --- my memory is that most of the downfall with seasons 9 and 10 is not the fault of Niles nor Daphne, but of the Moons. Having them appear in more than one or two episodes just makes things crawl along. There are good episodes; Daphne's dinner party springs to mind.

What's worse is that they don't go in for the standard "inlaws" problems, so there's not even much schadenfreude. The Moons don't get along with each other at all, so it's just "some old jaded mother hen against the planet", and the "empty nest" explanation doesn't fly because Daphne didn't just leave England yesterday.

Of the Moons we see, they're all leeches, and what they don't suck out of their family they suck out of the ratings. :flame:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The fact that they had Anthony Lapaglia play a Brit is loving insane.

They cast so many Americans as Brits and it's astonishing.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
And the main Brit character who is a Brit actor sounds like she's never heard a Mancunian accent before

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think Frasier is a show you should really sit down with, make sure the lighting in the room is correct, the settings on your television are perfect, no distractions are around, and take in fully and completely.

It's junk you should take in after a hard day or when you need a simple distraction. I created this thread because I was stressed and drinking a lot after work and putting on a ton of Frasier. I kept making GBS threads up other threads with Frasier posts and wanted to stop doing that, so I made this to contain all my Frasier thoughts.

I'm not saying anything negative, I absolutely love the show. I just don't think it's something to take very seriously.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I don't think Frasier is a show you should really sit down with, make sure the lighting in the room is correct, the settings on your television are perfect, no distractions are around, and take in fully and completely.

Maybe YOU don't

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I didn't take Frasier seriously then I'd literally have nothing left

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

Maybe YOU don't

Yeah what the hell is this poo poo.

FALSE PROPHET, FALSE PROPHET!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh really Niles

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol Kirby called at 4:20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Lol Kirby called at 4:20

Hiiii!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like Kirby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

It's junk you should take in after a hard day or when you need a simple distraction. I created this thread because I was stressed and drinking a lot after work and putting on a ton of Frasier. I kept making GBS threads up other threads with Frasier posts and wanted to stop doing that, so I made this to contain all my Frasier thoughts.

I'm not saying anything negative, I absolutely love the show. I just don't think it's something to take very seriously.

Welcome back to the Frasier Crane show. Before the break, Mr Hairpiece was telling us how he can't take anything seriously because of stress and drinking problems, which has led to shitposting. In the last minute of our show, caller, I'm happy to say that we've found a place where you'll fit right in, so grab a drink, get ready for shitposts, because... Now it's time for Bob Bulldog Brisco!

ps You can stay :) thanks for starting the thread.