Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Or use a salt pig. I like mine

Not judging but if you have company over do you put the salt pig on the table? I'd love a salt pig (I just use a jar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm tired of buying pepper grinders and having them break.

So I'm looking around online and the most highly recommended seem to be Puegot brand mills but they're $50-75! Thats high in my mind, BUT if it'll literally last me 30 years or so than I am OK with that. Does anyone have any experience with them? Worth the extra money?

There are two correct options - Peugeot if you value aesthetics and a very fine grind, the Unicorn Magnum if you want just absolute asstons of pepper and don't need it ground too fine.

The Magnum is having supply chain issues right now since they get their grinding mechanism from Europe (Italy?), but mine is going strong after a decade with no noticeable wear.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just bought table a salt pig for Christmas, love it and it's worth weirding out guests imo

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Now I want a goatse salt pig just for when we have company.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have a Unicorn Magnum that's probably over 10 years old and it works like a charm. Although I was dumb and cheap and got the mini that holds less pepper. It's kind of a pain to refill so some day I'll probably buy the large one.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not judging but if you have company over do you put the salt pig on the table? I'd love a salt pig (I just use a jar).

I just put a a glass coffee canister like thing with kosher salt on the table. I have a tiny mason jar with finishing salt that a lot of guests like, because most people use table salt or kosher salt (until I was looking up how to up my steak game). The table salt stays in the pig, or in the container.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd love to keep fleur de sel out but I use it as soon as someone gifts it to me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'd love to keep fleur de sel out but I use it as soon as someone gifts it to me.

I've been working on the same box of Malden for years... Like, I really only use it to finish meats (and avocado toast).

Everything else gets kosher salt except baking where measures are usually in table salt so that's what I use then.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if older kitchenaid stand mixers have an ID plate anywhere? I don’t know what model of bowl lift mixer I have because it was given to me as a gift from my Nanna about 20 years ago and I can’t find a model number on the exterior anywhere. Googling has led me to believe there was once something on the bottom to identify the model but I don’t see anything on mine now.

I want to get a scraper beater for it but there are a ton of different part numbers for those.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

SubG posted:

Now I want a goatse salt pig just for when we have company.

As long as it's cast from a mold and not just some artist's interpretation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.beaterblade.com/beaterblade-size-chart

this is pretty straightforward with how to determine which one you need

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.beaterblade.com/beaterblade-size-chart

this is pretty straightforward with how to determine which one you need

Thanks. I grabbed a generic one off Amazon that said it would work with 5 quart bowl lifters but it doesn’t fit well and I know better than to put something that’s going to rub asymmetrically onto a motor.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pseudanonymous posted:

As long as it's cast from a mold and not just some artist's interpretation.

Art can surpass the beauty of reality

I have a mug and a shot glass from the original run. Good stuff. I'm certain Empty Sandwich would make one a better shape for a salt pig if someone asked nicely enough. I'd be down for one!

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Any recommendations for a rice cooker with a stainless steel / uncoated inner pot? I checked the OP and it didn't mention anything. There are some on Amazon but wanted to see if you all had any ideas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is there a specific reason you want one that doesnt have nonstick?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought this one a while back and it worked fine. Not as nice as the $$$ zojurushi it replaced or as versatile as the instant pot that replaced it but it is cheap and does what it says.

Instant pots also have a stainless inner pan.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

They want to make sticky rice :v:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals leach into/from nonstick materials.

Clark Nova posted:

I bought this one a while back and it worked fine. Not as nice as the $$$ zojurushi it replaced or as versatile as the instant pot that replaced it but it is cheap and does what it says.

Instant pots also have a stainless inner pan.

Is the zojurushi stainless steel? I'd buy that one if it was.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nah, the zojirushi I had was teflon, and afaik they all are.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't think of a single thing endocrine has ever done for me but I do know I like delicious rice

Edit: To be actually helpful I use an Instant Pot to cook rice and it does not have a non-stick surface. The tradeoff is that the rice always stick really, really badly to it.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

well gently caress me theres like 10 different instant pots to choose from jesus christ

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think pressure cookers make as good rice (although maybe I just wasn't doing it right). I guess you could use it in steamer mode if it has that but will it stop automatically when the water boils off?

There also seem to be some older style rice cookers with stainless inner pots on Amazon but maybe with mixed reviews.

mystes fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 11, 2022

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Buffalo also makes dedicated rice cookers with stainless steel inner pots. I have no insight into their quality though.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I've got a lovely old chefs nice and it's getting dull. Everything I'm reading says get a sharpening stone but there are so many out there and they all seem like a pita. Anyone recommend a good cheap set of stones to get my knife decently sharp that are easy to use/understand?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kwolok posted:

I've got a lovely old chefs nice and it's getting dull. Everything I'm reading says get a sharpening stone but there are so many out there and they all seem like a pita. Anyone recommend a good cheap set of stones to get my knife decently sharp that are easy to use/understand?

King kw65. It's a 1k and 6k grit (two stones glued together), I glued the plastic stand to an old plate and put that plate on a damp cloth on a table when I use it so it doesn't move around. Watch lots of YouTube videos and keep those knives out of the dishwasher so they stay sharp.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have some expensive Shun knives that I need sharpened, but I don't see myself using stones. I think they have a lifetime free sharpening policy, so I just gotta figure out how to safely ship them lol.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

thehandtruck posted:

well gently caress me theres like 10 different instant pots to choose from jesus christ

i think the instantpot duo is the most popular one

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

King kw65. It's a 1k and 6k grit (two stones glued together), I glued the plastic stand to an old plate and put that plate on a damp cloth on a table when I use it so it doesn't move around. Watch lots of YouTube videos and keep those knives out of the dishwasher so they stay sharp.

Thanks, looking at king it looks pretty good. Any reason not to trust pebble? This combo of 1k/6k looks really aesthetic and the stand looks decent quality:
Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone 2 Side Grit 1000/6000 Waterstone- Whetstone Knife Sharpener- NonSlip Bamboo Base & Angle Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZZUL30/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y5CX6XWRPDJQ9XWRDA0Q

Edit: reviews are questionable, maybe I'll just go with King

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 11, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've used freehand stones, the spyderco sharp maker, and an edge pro imitation. I've gotten rid of all of them and now I take mine to be professionally sharpened 2-4 times per year. Costs me 50 bucks a year and they put a better edge on than I can do.

I guess if you want to sit down every week or month and sharpen your knives it pays to do it yourself, but it just doesn't make sense for me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happiness Commando posted:

I've used freehand stones, the spyderco sharp maker, and an edge pro imitation. I've gotten rid of all of them and now I take mine to be professionally sharpened 2-4 times per year. Costs me 50 bucks a year and they put a better edge on than I can do.

I guess if you want to sit down every week or month and sharpen your knives it pays to do it yourself, but it just doesn't make sense for me.

What kind of place does knife sharpening? Like, what would I search for to see if there's someplace local rather than shipping my knives back to the manufacturer?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Any cutlery store usually has a knife sharpening service.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Googling "CityName knife sharpening" has found me the three of the four places I've used. The fourth was at a farmers market.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd say I only have to sharpen mine maybe every 4-5 months and it takes about an hour each time. I have 5 knives that I sharpen this way and rotate through so if you only have one knife I'd guess you'd be sharpening it for ten minutes every month or two. If you hone it and hand wash it makes a big difference.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got lazy and dropped the cash for the Chef's Choice electric sharpener. While I don't doubt you could get a bit of a finer edge with manual sharpening or paying someone to do it, it's idiot-proof and takes five minutes to get my knives back to where I want them to be. Plus it's super quick to run all my paring knives through since nothing drives me crazier than a dull paring knife.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

barkbell posted:

i think the instantpot duo is the most popular one

thanks, picked that one up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Annath posted:

What kind of place does knife sharpening? Like, what would I search for to see if there's someplace local rather than shipping my knives back to the manufacturer?

There are a lot of knife sharpeners who operate out of a truck or a van and they'll just drive to your house and do it right there in the street.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

There are a lot of knife sharpeners who operate out of a truck or a van and they'll just drive to your house and do it right there in the street.

The Wholefoods near me has a mobile sharpener 1-2 days a month.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Thanks, looking at king it looks pretty good. Any reason not to trust pebble? This combo of 1k/6k looks really aesthetic and the stand looks decent quality:
Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone 2 Side Grit 1000/6000 Waterstone- Whetstone Knife Sharpener- NonSlip Bamboo Base & Angle Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FZZUL30/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Y5CX6XWRPDJQ9XWRDA0Q

Edit: reviews are questionable, maybe I'll just go with King

I have that pebble. It’s fine.

As another poster said. Once you’ve figured it out, which just takes some repetition, sharpening a knife is 10 minutes every 4 months or so.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Sportman posted:

The Wholefoods near me has a mobile sharpener 1-2 days a month.

Every Farmer's Market near me has someone that will sharpen your knives while you walk around the rest of the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I got lazy and dropped the cash for the Chef's Choice electric sharpener. While I don't doubt you could get a bit of a finer edge with manual sharpening or paying someone to do it, it's idiot-proof and takes five minutes to get my knives back to where I want them to be. Plus it's super quick to run all my paring knives through since nothing drives me crazier than a dull paring knife.

This is what I do as well and what I pretty much suggest to any of home cook who has no real interest in sharpening knives as a hobby or passion. Or to take them to a professional knife sharpener as many people mentioned.

The only real negatives in my experience are that the chefs choice sharpeners can be a bit "crude" when it comes to sharpening. Insofar that they remove a bit more metal than necessary and just due to the design of them, every one I've ever used scratched up the sides of the knives as you drag them through. Not a big deal if you have well used/lower end knives that you don't care about as much aesthetically, functionally there are no drawbacks. Im sure you could cover the sides of the knife or the sides of slot where you drag the knives through with some tape to prevent the scratches.

Overall just being able to sharpen up any knife you need within a few minutes in the comfort of your own home is more than worth the cost of the sharpener alone. Even if it's only 90% as good as it could be if you spent hours practicing on stones and watching youtube videos about hand sharpening or whatever. And honestly I bet it's actually better than most people's hand sharpened knives cause most people are trash at hand sharpening regardless of how much they fool themselves into thinking otherwise.