Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hatty posted:

Only bad area in Bloodborne is the Forbidden Wood and Sekiro has no bad areas that I can think of. Truly we are blessed to have such great games

I didn't even think about Sekiro. The temple is so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Abandoned Dungeon of Sekiro is kind of bare bones and the enemies are not fun to kill if you're combing the area for the first time.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I love Sekiro's vertical level designs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hirata is god tier.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

huh posted:

This is being planned by r/DarkSouls2

I just finished an 100% achievement run of sotfs and there was plenty of active multiplayer, got invaded a bunch of times (by players) and cooped all the 30 sunlight medals.

It was much better than I remembered and they had fixed all the ugliness with lighting from the base game.

Also powerstancing is good

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AnEdgelord posted:

Shulva, Brume Tower, and Eleum Loyce are some of the best levels in Souls history and are a test bed for a lot of ideas that show up in later games

People go crazy about the dumb videogamey elevator but no one mentions how Brume Tower is peak this-is-just-a-videogame-gauntlet design. Like a square room that locks from the inside leads around a mountain and down through three broken floor holes to another square room that locks from the inside. They're all kind of like that but the tower always makes me laugh imagining a normal person trying to work there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

JBP posted:

I didn't even think about Sekiro. The temple is so loving cool.

The battle music is wild! I think it had mostly stayed the same track up to that point in the game iirc? So hearing something new with the creepy tone to it was awesome

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DS2 gave us this so it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD448x8iitk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Actually let me sit down and figure it out.

Worst Levels
1. Frigid Outskirts
2. Lost Izalith
3. Shrine of Amana
4. Bright Cove Tseldora
5. Iron Passage
6. Smouldering Lake
7. Farron Swamp
8. Crystal Caves
9. Earthen Peak
10. New Londo

Honorable Mention: Original Blighttown with all the framerate problems

Imagine putting New Londo (a good level) on this list and not Shaded Woods (absolute screaming trash)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dark Souls dancing videos are art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d13fCKP6hB4

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dabir posted:

Imagine putting New Londo (a good level) on this list and not Shaded Woods (absolute screaming trash)

New londo loving rules and is perfect.

DS1 has some level design flaws (that weird staircase to the lower undead burg) but the way everything stacks ontop of eachother is unreal, when compared to 3 and DeS. It has the best cohesive world imho.

I cant speak to DS2, because I skipped that one for not having a good computer/playstation at the time. Might pick it up if it goes on sale especially with this planned return.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think you need some differentiation between levels that are bad because they were shipped unfinished and levels where somebody clearly had an idea they were going for and put a lot of work into but unfortunately for the players, their idea sucked. Or the area is entirely superfluous to the overall game design.

For the former, you have places like lost izalith, all the various 1/10ths of a level that ds2 ended up recycling to stitch maps together, darklurker's caves, the ganksquad's cave, blue smelter's cave, frigid outskirts, profaned capital and arguably the most egregious of all; the series of perfectly rectangular corridors on the way to Sir Alonne. One could also argue that blighttown should be included in this category as well if engine optimization is considered a criteria to the level itself being "finished".

The second category includes the various slow walking swamps, crystal caves, iron keep, blue smelter's cave, frigid outskirts, and smouldering lake. Probably also cathedral of the deep because it goes on forever and ever between shortcuts on first playthrough.

And then the last category is for situations where a level does something but does so worse than a different level in the same game. There's a much more expansive and better looking rat playground in the doors of pharros but we still have the grave of saints for some reason. Lost bastille into sinner's rise, gutter to black gulch, there being three functionally indentical darklurker caves, and road of sacrifices leading to farron keep.

Bonus dishonorable mention that doesn't go into any of the above categories to lost izalith for being just so eye searingly orange.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DO YOU HAVE 1 loving HOUR TO SPARE?

course not but still...

Watching this in chunks - its awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQ236-_Y7I

Also has some cool insights into things and not just comparisons.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dabir posted:

Im flexible on the lower 5 and was really just filling in the last couple with whatever came to mind that I had even slight negative feelings on.

Also I had completely forgotten about the Shaded Woods. Aside from the Doors of Pharros that whole run of levels to Duke's Dear Freja is one of the worst sections of any souls game if only because of the back to back bad levels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Doors of Pharos sucks twice. As a multiplayer arena it sucks because the one and only spawn location massively favors the host. There’s all these weird traps they went to all the trouble of putting in, but they forgot to make it actually feasible for the phantom to get to any of them unless the host is deliberately letting them do so. But wait! It has a singleplayer zone attached! Which also sucks because there’s nothing there, not even a boss. It’s a hallway with like five guys and a couple death drops. At least you can tell there was a good piece of concept art behind it, but yeah it’s just another vestigial DS2 area.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tbf I can see having negative feelings about New Londo cause it could probably use a bonfire somewhere, if only so you're not taking the lift every single time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

skasion posted:

Doors of Pharos sucks twice. As a multiplayer arena it sucks because the one and only spawn location massively favors the host. There’s all these weird traps they went to all the trouble of putting in, but they forgot to make it actually feasible for the phantom to get to any of them unless the host is deliberately letting them do so. But wait! It has a singleplayer zone attached! Which also sucks because there’s nothing there, not even a boss. It’s a hallway with like five guys and a couple death drops. At least you can tell there was a good piece of concept art behind it, but yeah it’s just another vestigial DS2 area.

I remember Doors being pretty extensive, are you thinking of Grave of Saints? That's the "level" that's just an open faced corridor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

I remember Doors being pretty extensive, are you thinking of Grave of Saints? That's the "level" that's just an open faced corridor.

The rat summon part of Doors is pretty big, but the critical path is extremely short (and mutually exclusive with it, unlike Grave). There’s a stair and a hallway past the axe throwing guy, Gavlan’s house, a stair going up, a little bit with a crystal lizard and a death drop, another stair and you’re in Tseldora.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember quoting this as an instructional video for how to get through the shrine of amana. just step slightly to the right guys

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dabir posted:

Tbf I can see having negative feelings about New Londo cause it could probably use a bonfire somewhere, if only so you're not taking the lift every single time.

Yeah New Londo is cool but the ghosts can gently caress right off. Souls enemies hitting you through walls is annoying enough already without having an enemy that's supposed to do it.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah New Londo is cool but the ghosts can gently caress right off. Souls enemies hitting you through walls is annoying enough already without having an enemy that's supposed to do it.

The ghosts are one of those things that's right on the line between "charmingly dickish" and just outright unfun, but I really like New Londo in terms of atmosphere.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I went and watched a let's play of DS1 because I remember being so horribly frustrated with it I quit.

Specifically, there was a long, narrow tunnel fairly early on that had a knight or something in it with this really long lance/spear that felt like a dead end but the play through I watched, the dude never went that way so I don't know how he got through it. I wanted to see the solution there.

watching it though made me realize a lot of what I was doing wrong (not timing attacks or watching patterns, not kiting enemies into manageable areas, not using my environment, button mashing) so maybe I'll give it another go since I plan on trying ER. Is success in these games just a simple matter of not going the wrong way (with no idea if it's right or wrong until it's too late)? Because the dude played for less time than I did and never got owned once so I assume it was an optimal path he was using.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

I went and watched a let's play of DS1 because I remember being so horribly frustrated with it I quit.

Specifically, there was a long, narrow tunnel fairly early on that had a knight or something in it with this really long lance/spear that felt like a dead end but the play through I watched, the dude never went that way so I don't know how he got through it. I wanted to see the solution there.

watching it though made me realize a lot of what I was doing wrong (not timing attacks or watching patterns, not kiting enemies into manageable areas, not using my environment, button mashing) so maybe I'll give it another go since I plan on trying ER. Is success in these games just a simple matter of not going the wrong way (with no idea if it's right or wrong until it's too late)? Because the dude played for less time than I did and never got owned once so I assume it was an optimal path he was using.

Success is entirely down to patience and managing your enemies and surroundings. It sounds like the enemy you ran into might've been the black knight in undead burg that's guarding a dead end with the blue tearstone ring, which is totally skippable

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

BiggerBoat posted:

Is success in these games just a simple matter of not going the wrong way (with no idea if it's right or wrong until it's too late)?
No, it's all about patience and learning the attack patterns, swing timings, and spacing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

There's usually a critical path through areas with side branches that lead to goodies, sometimes guarded by tough enemies. If you ever see an item out of reach, it's probably being dangled in front of you by level designers to pull you away from the main path. That black knight is one of those side paths. You can feel things out, you don't have to stumble into trouble blindly. Like if you take a sharp turn down a long hallway and there's a huge knight standing there obliviously facing away from you, daring you to start some poo poo, you should be able to tell what's happening. Consider what it'll take to get back to your bloodstain if you left one here, then either roll the dice or make a note and come back when you're more powerful.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a feeling you're thinking of the Undead Burg Black Knight, who wields a big sword and just guards a ring that's not even very good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Success is entirely down to patience and managing your enemies and surroundings. It sounds like the enemy you ran into might've been the black knight in undead burg that's guarding a dead end with the blue tearstone ring, which is totally skippable

oh.

giZm posted:

No, it's all about patience and learning the attack patterns, swing timings, and spacing.

But aren't there also objectively Wrong Ways to Go right from the outset as well? And by the time you figure that out, your poo poo's totally wrecked and all your souls are in Blighttown or whatever? Watching this thing, IIRC, I think I actually did the giant eagle transport like real early for instance.

Dabir posted:

I have a feeling you're thinking of the Undead Burg Black Knight, who wields a big sword and just guards a ring that's not even very good.

That was it. That fuckface. I got the distinct impression I Was Not Supposed to be There Yet but couldn't figure out another path so I probably just sucked.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 11, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

But aren't there also objectively Wrong Ways to Go right from the outset as well? And by the time you figure that out, your poo poo's totally wrecked and all your souls are in Blighttown or whatever? Watching this thing, IIRC, I think I actually did the giant eagle transport like real early for instance.
The intended way is through sewers into Undead Burg, but technically you can go anywhere right from the start depending on your skills.

Giant Bird Lyft is tutorial area to game area, unless you've somehow managed to not get your Estus Flask you're good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

oh.

That was it. That fuckface. I got the distinct impression I Was Not Supposed to be There Yet but couldn't figure out another path so I probably just sucked.

The correct path was ignoring the stairs leading down to him and going up the stairs slightly past him. If you remember from the LP you watched, there's the trap where a guy kicks a burning barrel down the stairs at you? He's a 180 degree spin from that guy.

He's basically an optional tutorial for how good a) backstabs and b) gold pine resin are. You run up to him, get your poo poo pushed in, then try again by applying the gold pine resin you got right next to him and slow-walking up to him. And the ring is ok to have when you have literally nothing else to fill those slots with, but his real reward is the 20% chance of getting a run-defining weapon drop.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

oh.

This is possible, but honestly losing souls isn't THAT big a deal. It's absolutely frustrating when to lose 6,000 (or 40k or 60k, ask me how I know) because you got a little too cocky about checking out that new area, but ultimately you get them back fast enough that it's not really THAT punishing. It's honestly one of the things I've come to appreciate most about the design of these games: in some ways they feel more brutal than they really are.

If you go down a path and get absolutely curb-stomped by some giant demon knight, or realize you can't actually damage those ghosts, or can't walk anywhere without getting instantly poisoned and dying, then just go explore somewhere else.\

Edit: Full disclosure, I bounced off DS1 several times in basically the same spot as you. I do think the reputation of From games for being so crazy difficult kind of works against them sometimes, because it might lead you to think that the respawning skeletons in the graveyard next to Firelink are just...what the whole game is going to be like. One their method of shepherding you along the critical path clicks and you get a feel for where they tend to place bonfires though, everything falls into place.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 11, 2022

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

DS2 is my favourite dark souls game because it was my first dark souls game, and I played it during my first year at university which was one of the most enjoyable years of my life, so I have nothing but happy memories from that time period. I tried 1 afterwards and didn't particularly enjoy it. 3 was... ok? Bloodborne was meh, demon's souls awful, and I both love and hate Sekiro at the same time.

Can't wait for elden ring!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Great example of "this isn't a necessary path" is the first big axe guy in Bloodborne who's guarding some item (can't recall which).

Frankston posted:

Bloodborne was meh, demon's souls awful

:|

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think he's even guarding anything at all or if he is it's like pebbles or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Frankston posted:

3 was... ok? Bloodborne was meh, demon's souls awful, and I both love and hate Sekiro at the same time.

oof

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Frankston posted:

DS2 is my favourite dark souls game because it was my first dark souls game, and I played it during my first year at university which was one of the most enjoyable years of my life, so I have nothing but happy memories from that time period. I tried 1 afterwards and didn't particularly enjoy it. 3 was... ok? Bloodborne was meh, demon's souls awful, and I both love and hate Sekiro at the same time.

the most boggling of takes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think he's even guarding anything at all or if he is it's like pebbles or something

He drops (lovely) blood gems sometimes but otherwise yeah he’s just there to gently caress with you

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Frankston posted:

Christ on a cracker.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Frankston posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Look saying that DS2 is the best souls game is one thing, saying its better than Bloodborne is over the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i may preorder this thing, green man has it for $50 right now

was the network test on pc or just consoles? any write ups about performance? i assume it would be about the same as dark souls 3, doesn't look in lovely compressed youtube videos like it's built to strain systems.