Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I've been in my current job for fifteen years, and I get paralyzed by anxiety whenever I try to think of specific ways out of it.

Currently, I deliver and troubleshoot instrument interfaces for one of the major Laboratory Information Systems companies. The role has involved every step of the process, primarily because nobody outside the group understands even the most basic element of how lab instrumentation works, is used, or functions. A list of my main responsibilities and "job description" accomplishments are along the lines of:

Handling this as a quote block as I am lazy posted:

- Dealing with customers via a ticket system and on the phone, walking them through various requests, issues, etc. This could range from a request for one or more interfaces, discussion of how a given instrument is supposed to work or fit into workflow, issues with the interfaces, issues with the network, issues with the term server, issues with the tests and what to expect - if further description implies a call could be had for it, I've had that call, probably a few hundred times.

- Done several on-site implementations and an operational assessment to tell the lab what they might be doing better.

- Done external and internal training on how instrument interfaces work. Mentored half a dozen people, two of which weren't actually in my group at all.

- Delivered interfaces via programmer routines.

- Wrote several internal guides, recorded instructional lessons.

- Handled a good deal of QA and internal testing - in particular, bloodbank related interfaces are considered a medical device by the FDA, so I'd do validations before delivering each and every one (this has been relaxed somewhat so now validations are done per release rather than per site).

- Submitted various bug and feature requests via our internal system, then JIRA for the last few years.

- Did a good deal of work with internal data fields and saved structures. That is: reading tracelogs from instruments and parsing out our internal information from raw text files and such.

- Technically, we sell software, but as it turns out most laboratories don't have a ton of dedicated IT staff, so I did a lot of hardware and network troubleshooting: term server issues and in the last five or so years, a lot of TCP/IP troubleshooting. The lab instrumentation field is really far behind in terms of that sort of thing, in case you're wondering why term servers are even a part of this. But if you have something that's not functioning on a Xyplex, I'm your man. Network stuff tends to be a lot of guiding people through why a port is inaccessible or what might cause the network to drop a connection after a period of idle communication. Educating customers on how networks function has been a very frequent occurance.

...but I also did a lot of things that would normally be handled by other groups, were our specialty not so...unique:

dear god he's still talking posted:

- Handled a million purchase orders and had to have major discussions with the purchasing reps who fairly frequently formatted them wrong or sent them over unsigned (?!?)

- Had to track accounting milestones for thousands of interfaces over the years (our contracts were not designed to handle things like singular, relatively cheap purchases, so everything that would cost, say, $3000 would be broken into three milestone events for delivery, testing and operational status).

- Dealt with all the paperwork Sales normally would. They would get the comission, I might get a pat on the head.

- Had some low end programming responsibilities. I delivered some fairly common changes for fairly frequent problems, and interface deliveries required access to the utilities. I would also do some basic dives into the code to see if I could suss things out.

There's more, but this is already extraordinarily long and I don't want to lose track of the point - it's more to provide context than anything else.

None of what I do is in a commonly used programming language. Our current software is written in a distant relative of an archaic language written in the late 60's by the founder of the company. I can do very baby level programming in C++ (or I could like six years ago), but beyond that, I have very litttle useful programming experience. I went to college and got an English degree, so none of my education really comes into play with what I do.

At the suggestion of some friends, I've looked into DevOps a bit, and I've done some very simple Ansible/Docker/Vagrant work with a spare PC I had lying around to make it function as an HTPC with *arr integration and such. This was fun, but I don't think "fun" is necessarily what employers are looking for. I've been watching the free AWS class stuff Amazon put out, and that's....fine, if a bit boring and self explanatory most of the time.

I don't want to continue where I am for a number of reasons. The main one is that the company is on a blatant downward spiral, and after a decade and a half of seeing coworker friends come in and burn out in 3 year increments, COVID accelerated the process so now the group I'm sort of attached to is a quarter the size it should be, and workload has increased for everyone. I can't help a whole lot with it (it's well outside my expertise), but I know how this place works, and I know when the remaining 1/4 burn out and leave I'm gonna be stuck holding the bag.

Whenever I look at LinkedIn or Indeed or whatever I get a giant pit in my stomach, and I've woken up in the middle of the night and had an hour and a half long waking anxiety attacks about what I'd even do in an interview, or if I could make enough to keep paying the mortgage or for my kids, or if I'd ever really be happy. I realize this is my fault for staying where I've been for as long as I have - I'm not exactly ambitious, I just like doing a job for a set period, not being treated like total garbage, and leaving at a reasonable time.

I just don't really know where to go. The DevOps thing seems like a neat idea, but the more I look into it, the more I think "I'm gonna be stuck doing 60 hour weeks and being on call, aren't I?" I've dealt with critical hospital issues before, so it's not so much the prospect of "whoopsie, production is down and everyone is mad" that I'm concerned about, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit of seasoning on an already bitter milkshake I keep chugging down.

I'm just not really sure what to do here. My resume is polished up (it hasn't changed a whole heck of a lot), so that's good, but I think I might be approaching this incorrectly. I guess I don't know what I don't know, so I have no idea what sorts of jobs I'd be qualified for or like. Would a career counselor be helpful in this instance? Has anyone else been in a similar rut, and if so, how did you get out of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That's a giant text block so I won't quote it. But have you looked at lims admin positions in pharma / biotech companies? Often they need low level programming, lots of user training, SOP creation, ui help and solving user caused bugs. Good pay, usually good hours (not hospital hours), and you're not tied into a company that sucks and have more options. Honestly your resume sounds great for that role, and there's a lot of those positions out there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That anxiety is super normal. 15 years is a long time. 2 weeks into a new job it will be fine.

Same with interviewing, weird and hard at first and then gets better.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I'm at a point about 8 years into a career, where my salary is becoming unsustainable but I know I don't want the next job in the career ladder very much. I make $150k/year in an individual contributor role, and have numerous offers to move into a ~$200k (still very low for my extremely high-CoL area) role but I've done it before and it involves 100 hour workweeks and traveling half the year. It's specialized blue collar stuff, and I've never worked in an office, but covid has made me realize I've made the extremely wrong choice. Have any of you bailed on a career at this point?

I'm feeling really lost at this point, all the jobs in my city if I do not travel are very specialized tech/biotech. I qualify as maybe a high-level janitor, or a junior maintenance tech, if I actually worked in town, so talking 40k a year, and I feel super trapped. Moving is 100% out of the question for family reasons I can't really get into.

Everyone I talk to in my job about this either thinks I'm crazy or feels trapped in the same way, I have a good reputation but people are starting to question why I'm not stepping up into the obvious next role.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What skills do you have that net you 150k but are only qualified for glorified janitorial positions?

What do you want to do?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you go in to entry level nontechnical corporate jobs there's a possibility that you could in a decade or two be making nearly $150k

just so you're aware

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Mr Newsman posted:

What skills do you have that net you 150k but are only qualified for glorified janitorial positions?

What do you want to do?

Engineer on a container ship. Like engineering officer, not an actual degreed engineer. I like, work on the engines and equipment. I'm not sure what I want to do really, just something with less travel and preferably WFH eventually.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Wang Commander posted:

Engineer on a container ship. Like engineering officer, not an actual degreed engineer. I like, work on the engines and equipment. I'm not sure what I want to do really, just something with less travel and preferably WFH eventually.

Gotcha. Hard to give any suggestions based upon what you've shared but people absolutely change careers all the time.

They go back to school at 45 and get a degree, take a lower position to break into a specific field, or do transitions within their current company to gain specific skills for their future.

With that said, it all depends on how badly you need to make your current salary. Family of 3 to support and a mortgage? Bit harder.

I think some things to look into might be related to your proximity to biotech. Maybe you'd be interested in laboratory ops? Field service engineering?

FSE would include travel but would likely be territory based and if you're close to a hub then you'd be home most nights.

Edit: totally possible to be flying all over the states though. Could be worse than what you do now.

Just some thoughts.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, working container ships makes sense. What concrete skills do you have, what are some jobs that are interesting. You almost certainly have more skills than you think, now is not the time to be modest. I'd say come to terms with taking a pay cut for sure, at least for a while, since a significant part of your current compensation is being out on the boat. How tied are you to where you are currently based out of?

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Hello. My career (teacher) is riddled with covid and I am not interested in doing it in-person for the foreseeable future, nor am I interested to do it online because I'd rather do it in-person if I am doing it at all. I'm taking a full break from my line of work, but I am not abandoning it permanently. I don't know how long I'm looking at working in something else, but a year sounds about right. Maybe two. Heck, I have no clue these days. My goal is to work some something on the lower end of pay that allows me to stay fully remote.

I have two separate questions about my prospects:

1. I am going to take up a basic monkey-work data entry job to pass the time and pay the bills. Other than being rad at Excel, are there any certs or skills that might help in branching to better levels of pay (or less bullshit) in that area without having to make it like a career path or work towards upwards mobility? If that makes sense. If that seems a bit much, should I just stick to monkey work and not put too much thought into trying to get something better out of it than it is?

2. My undergrad was in English. I really enjoyed writing and researching during that time, and I was the type of student that had no problem cranking out papers and posts. During graduate school, my writing amount increased exponentially to match the reading and research while time limits on assignments dropped significantly. I almost always enjoyed the challenge. Due to this ability to write under pressure and not hate it, some people have recommended I look into copywriting as an alternative career idea or for part-time income. I've looked at entry-level jobs on several job sites, but without experience it seems like I am SOL. The internships I've seen all require me to be enrolled in a school, and it doesn't seem like training is part of any listing I've seen. Does anyone here have any advice on how to get into a basic remote copywriting job for peanuts or experience that isn't a scam? Is there anything I could study in my spare time to help (besides marketing, I guess)? This is something that might actually be an alternate career path if I could figure out how to find that Goldie Locks company that offers training, etc., and/or takes on newbies so I could actually gain experience.

Also, I'm probably going to sign up for a year of unlimited Coursera, so if you know of any courses on there that would help me in any of the areas mentioned, I'll gladly take a look! Thank you.

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 8, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Lockback posted:

Yeah, working container ships makes sense. What concrete skills do you have, what are some jobs that are interesting. You almost certainly have more skills than you think, now is not the time to be modest. I'd say come to terms with taking a pay cut for sure, at least for a while, since a significant part of your current compensation is being out on the boat. How tied are you to where you are currently based out of?

My problem is I am 100% tied to living in an area where the only jobs are tech/biotech. I have no skills in that arena whatsoever. My skillset is basically "plant operator" and if I were in the North I could make substantially the same income at a power plant but in the South blue collar pays nothing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm curious for an outside perspective on my career, if folks have the time. Any insights appreciated!

Background: In 2013, I graduated with a liberal arts bachelor's degree in political economy, which was an interdisciplinary consisting of politics (know a lot about that), economics (forgot everything), and history (somewhere in the middle). After about a month, I found a job as a writer at a nonprofit for $30k/year. A few months in, I was promoted to lead a team of writers and got a bump to $32k. The next year I got bumped to $40k, then two years after that I got another promotion and a raise to $58k. We had a restructuring a few years ago that resulted in kind of a lateral move, and I received a couple more big pay bumps during that time to $88k. Last month, I got a small raise to $90k. In that time, the nonprofit has grown from 40 to 65 full-time employees.

Pros:

- I've tripled my salary in less than nine years, and I'm earning more than I ever expected to given my degree/profession. I have no debt aside from a mortgage, and I'm on track to have that paid off by 34. The nonprofit is financially healthy, so there isn't significant risk of disruption.
- I get to work from home, and that's unrelated to the pandemic.
- I now have more than eight years of management experience; my current situation is 11 full-time staff, one part-time staff, and 15 part-time contractors around the world. I've mostly managed front-line staff, but I've also managed other managers. I enjoy management a lot, and I'm very good at it. I'm the only manager in the company who has been nominated by his team for the leadership award every year, and I've won it three out of eight years.
- I love my team. At this point, it's a handpicked group of very skilled, competent, and kind people. I respect and trust them. We've been extremely successful.
- My boss has enormous trust in me and has designated me as his successor for years. He confides in me regularly.
- I spent five years as the only non-department head on the organization's executive team. During that tenure, I created many of the organization's systems and literally wrote the company's mission statement and core values. I have an excellent relationship with the COO, and a good one with the CEO (although she's always kind of hot-and-cold on people).

Cons:

- I work a lot. I know it doesn't compare to some people, but I probably average close to 60 hours/week, which is more than anyone I know aside from a doctor friend. The nature of the work tends to involve a lot of creative problem-solving, so that's nice on one hand because it's mentally engaging, but it's also tough because it's so mentally taxing.
- I'm pretty much at the peak of the salary ladder for my position at this point, and I believe that I'm something like the sixth-highest in the company behind my boss, the three executives, and our lead tech developer. I don't think my boss or the executives are going anywhere, so unless a new position/department is made, I don't see my compensation substantially changing in the foreseeable future.
- Although the health benefits are fine, the retirement benefit is lame. There's a 401k, but no matching whatsoever.
- When I joined the nonprofit originally, I was recommended by a woman who I had worked with during a collegiate internship, and we became very good friends. That friend group expanded to four of us over the years, and we went on multiple trips together. In the past year, though, two of the four (including my original friend) have resigned.
- The executive team was disbanded last year, so I no longer have a direct line to the executives. This has occasionally caused some bad initiatives to get through that I was previously able to kill in the cradle.
- One of the executives, a new VP, was hired last year after briefly being a consultant. The position was made explicitly for him and I heard that nobody internally was ever actually considered for it. That annoyed me because the role was so in-line with my experience/skillset that several people congratulated me when the position was announced in the belief that it was obviously meant for me. Bitterness aside, he's not an idiot, but it's a real "new guy is saying what we've all been saying for years, but he believes it's new and that he's a genius for saying it, and he's getting rewarded accordingly" situation.

When there are articles all over the place about the Great Resignation and half of your work friends leave, it's easy to think that you should leave too. I feel like the holiday gave me better perspective on things, though, and in typing this up, my current opinion is that I'm letting my ego get the best of me and that I should cool it about this VP thing.

I do think that the lack of future earning growth potential isn't ideal, but on the other hand, it's not obvious to me that I actually need to be making more money. I'm also skeptical that I could make as much elsewhere unless we were acquired (we're a data vendor for some Very Big Companies that might want to bring us in-house at some point) or if I were headhunted, but it's a tiny field. I think if I went to the private sector and took an entry-level management position somewhere I could get higher eventually, but I'm sure it would be an initial paycut (and maybe no longer working from home). I also don't know if my lack of an MBA (or quantitative/statistics skills in general) would bar that from happening, either.

My takeaway is that I've been lucky and I shouldn't screw with a good thing. I'm inclined to keep doing what I'm doing for a few more years and get the house paid off so that I have complete financial freedom.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
With a staff of that size and what you described for responsibilities, 90k seems kinda low. There's no reason you can't look on the side and see what's out there. Either just grind for a few months or find efficiencies in your day.

Your degree and previous expectations don't matter anymore, don't let it hold you back. You don't need an MBA and I doubt you take any kind of paycut. The risk, actually, is that you anchor on your current wage and underprice yourself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd maybe consider talking to a headhunting or consulting firm and see what they might find for you. Management experience in a data vendor is probably less niche than you think.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

PITY BONER posted:

Copywriting

I do this in-house. I made a resume and cover letter making fun of old jobs, and had a couple upwork projects with a radio ad I somehow got to do at another job. The right person saw it, thought it was funny, and I got lucky. I advertised my voice well, and that’s what my team wanted.

You need a portfolio. To get that you need either design skills or work. Yes, it’s a catch 22. Figure it out on upwork or watch some TikToks on how to break in. If you have design skills, make an ad for your favorite brand.

Read the Adweek Copywriting Handbook and the Boron Letters. The first is a good how-to. Read the second to see if you can stomach this industry. If you find it smarmy and revolting, well…yeah that’s a lot of advertising.

It’s not smarmy everywhere, but I cannot stress enough how different academia is. Your experience is applicable, but no one cares about it in the way other academics care. The only thing that matters is your ability to create good work. You’ll probably get edited by someone who knows less than you about writing, but they get projects done on time so it doesn’t matter. Read Strunk & White to learn how to cram lots of meaning into short sentences.

Maybe some agency people here can give more input. Offer to work for cheap maybe? The official channels don’t always matter, especially for large creative agencies with tons of volume. Network, flex LinkedIn (peep the LinkedIn thread) and get your name out there. If you’re just clicking applications all day your odds are low.

There’s also content writing, SEO, email marketing and so much out there that you could get into. Generating lots of (good) words fast is certainly an in-demand skill.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

surf rock posted:

I'm curious for an outside perspective on my career, if folks have the time. Any insights appreciated!

I agree with Xguard86 that you might be surprised what's out there and you could find something where you're making as much / more and working less. There's no harm in looking anyway, maybe you could be the "new VP out of nowhere" guy somewhere else.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thank you for the advice, everyone! That perspective is really helpful. :)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm starting off a new career in ontology, just started my first full time job. The owner of my company asked me what job title I'd like, to help me with my career. There's sorta an informal understanding between us that I'd work here for a couple years and move on as/if I outgrew the position.

What job title should I ask for? I was thinking of just honestly saying junior ontologist for my experience level.

For the record I'm coming from am academic background, so these things are not ones Ive thought a lot about.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Look around job postings and see which ones look like you want to do them as a next step in your career, then ask for that title. Also, i am curious: What the gently caress does an ontologist do?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

moana posted:

What the gently caress does an ontologist do?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

honestly saying junior

Na, no need to reduce it for that reason. I'm still getting used to this too, coming from academia. Like, you don't need to embellish (chief ontology officer), but a flag just to say hey guys I'm new is just letting your new guy insecurities have too much power

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ontologists engineer these

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(information_science)

It's a quickly growing field because 'big data' and any sort of AI needs an ontology

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I was going to say, Data Analyst is probably the "base" or umbrella for that, but you can have a bit of fun with it. I'd maybe go with a bit more industry title than "Junior Ontologist" (My first thought on that was you were doing Quantum Theory or something) but something like 'Data Analyst, Ontology Engineering' sounds good. You can probably even call something like that "Associate Data Scientist" if your boss is cool with that, that might be the most impressive.

Remember, your title you call yourself at work and what you put on your resume don't have to be the exact same thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that is deeply lame compared to what it ought to be :colbert:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yea I agree. I was going to suggest "Metaphysicist" as the job title

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm in my 20s with a B.S. in computer science and people are constantly telling me that I should get a Master's degree to move up in my career. But I don't really see it the same way. In the tech field, the people I see who usually get a Master's are from foreign countries where their B.S. doesn't make the cut here. Getting a Master's to move up as a programmer at my company doesn't happen because the skills needed to move up are pretty specific to the job itself.

For me, the only reason why I would get a Master's would be to try and change career completely - I've been thinking of maybe getting a Master's in computational linguistics. But even then - and here's the general questions for everybody - is it best to do the Master's while working? Or take time off to focus solely on the degree?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 15, 2022

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

proletariando posted:

I'm in my 20s with a B.S. in computer science and people are constantly telling me that I should get a Master's degree to move up in my career. But I don't really see it the same way. In the tech field, the people I see who usually get a Master's are from foreign countries where their B.S. doesn't make the cut here. Getting a Master's to move up as a programmer at my company doesn't happen because the skills needed to move up are pretty specific to the job itself.

For me, the only reason why I would get a Master's would be to try and change career completely - I've been thinking of maybe getting a Master's in computational linguistics. But even then - and here's the general questions for everybody - is it best to do the Master's while working? Or take time off to focus solely on the degree?

Just wondering, who's telling you to get an MS? You're right, MS CS programs are a waste of time and money if you have a BS and only want the MS to move up as a programmer. Maybe if you want to move into management in an environment where some form of advanced degree is required or expected it might help, but at that point you're better off with an MBA.

To answer the other question, it kind of depends on why you're getting the degree. But MS programs are pretty expensive on the whole so you might be better off working if you can handle the combined workload, unless money is no object.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only time to take an MS is when someone else is paying for it.

Is that MS in computational linguistics really gonna open many doors for you? If you already have a CS degree I imagine you can work your way into a computational linguistics job by taking online courses or working on side projects. Your new employer should then pay you to work while doing the degree, if you still want it at that point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are a few good reasons to go for a master's in CS. I can think of four:
  1. You want to specialize in something that wasn't really available in your undergraduate program.
  2. You want to get a more prestigious school's name on your resume.
  3. You want to go for a PhD but you're not quite sure about that or you need to strengthen your application.
  4. You're in school and want to delay your graduation until the economy improves.
That last one clearly doesn't apply here, and it doesn't sound like the third one does either. But those first two reasons are legit, and might be applicable. Just don't expect your current employer to give you a raise or promotion for completing it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would but suggest a masters as the right option to moved up, no. But saying it's a mistake of it's something you really want to do but go look and see if there are jobs with hard Masters requirements in your area. I'm betting there won't be.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
Any ideas for a late twenties dude who has worked office for the last 1.5 years doing inside sales and establishing an ERP/work analysis program in a fabrication/manufacturing setting? I have no degree, went from general labor to welder to lead fabricator/shipping/everything to worming my way into an office, all with no experience. I’m super tenacious when it comes to any work put in front of me, and really badly want to get into something similar to what I’m doing now, but making much more money and would love a WFH setup. My wife is about to graduate and can give me enough time to let me quit me job and focus on getting a 2-year degree (an associates..right?), but I don’t have any clue what fields will truly yield a worthwhile time investment

Goons, please, please help me make bank. I’m incredibly hardworking and as a current example I’m the ERP software my current employer hadn’t enabled to track jobs for regular items we manufacture and can see through raw material and labor data where our pricing should be, went through and made lists to corral like items so they could be price adjusted when their common raw material goes up in price, the list goes on. Mind you I also had to come up with the backbone for this ERP software and actually has to basically translate what the lovely xml table backed software does so it works for our unique manufacturing process.

Please help thank you :S

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you could probably roll in to implementation consulting but you will need a Bachelor's, probably. figure you could get in the door right now if you had a Bachelor's and your experience just under or around six figs as an individual contributor, going up from there as an IC with pretty rapid advancement, or if you make the leap in to management at some point at least twice that

doesn't really matter the field. in general, more quantitatively oriented degrees are more valuable in the labor market. so figure BBA, finance, econ, some kind of industrial engineering to align with your background etc. you can start at CC part time and then transfer credits to a state institution assuming you have good ones in your area, this helps lower cost and allows you to work concurrently for some of the four years of your bachelor's

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you could probably roll in to implementation consulting but you will need a Bachelor's, probably. figure you could get in the door right now if you had a Bachelor's and your experience just under or around six figs as an individual contributor, going up from there as an IC with pretty rapid advancement, or if you make the leap in to management at some point at least twice that

doesn't really matter the field. in general, more quantitatively oriented degrees are more valuable in the labor market. so figure BBA, finance, econ, some kind of industrial engineering to align with your background etc. you can start at CC part time and then transfer credits to a state institution assuming you have good ones in your area, this helps lower cost and allows you to work concurrently for some of the four years of your bachelor's

First off, thank you! I figured I would have to get a bachelors, but couldn’t help asking if there was a way out of it, and it’s nice to know that my feelings line up with what you’re saying - that is to get a degree in roughly anything pertaining to the strains of work I find myself doing. So, I’ll end up doing what I thought I would need to from the get go, which is asking my wife to give me more time in order to choke down as much schooling as I can get.

May I ask, do you have experience in implementation consulting? And can you see me running into trouble trying to get a job in this field 4 years from now, when the world has continued to devolve? I know, it’s stupid to ask given you just recommended it, but I’m hoping you will be willing to humor me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm a strategy guy but have worked with/against a ton of implementation teams.

I don't anticipate that companies will have to stop replacing lovely legacy systems any time soon, and they certainly won't develop internal expertise at doing it. The only real risk is increasing competition from lower cost offshore labor, but companies will still want a good local resource to be face to client at minimum. Right now there is a huge delta between resource availability and work to be done, so the market is very, very good for employees. The world continuing to devolve generally favors consulting firms.

Seriously consider not taking that much time off work and instead adding a part time course load at a local CC to start.

There are probably paths that don't involve getting a bachelor's but that's basically the unlock path to making a lot more money especially if you want to work from home and not be on call

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Any reason for the caution? I do on doing our local CC for my two years, and I’m situated next to a ton of schools I could transfer to once completed. My wife will make twice what I do now once she graduates, which will be my opportunity face my schooling head on - but if I’m missing something, I’m all ears!

Thank you for the reassurance and insight, the logic makes sense to me, regarding future security. And honestly, if I need a bachelor's I’ll go for it, the most important thing is that I come out with a career that I can make bank with, but as I’ve never really had much exposure to ‘professionals’ in my life, I honestly wasn’t sure if I could swing it with an associates. I’m good at devoting myself to challenges when I know the outcome is more stable, so it’s not the end of the world.

How’s working against the consultant pan out? I’m used to a major amount departmental headlocking, but most of it stems for ignorant business owners and “I’ve been here for 20 years” types, and so my hope is that this is a career that doesn’t rely on me cracking everyone’s skull just to get operations straightened out.. god I hate my gig

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

eternalvictory posted:

Any reason for the caution? I do on doing our local CC for my two years, and I’m situated next to a ton of schools I could transfer to once completed. My wife will make twice what I do now once she graduates, which will be my opportunity face my schooling head on - but if I’m missing something, I’m all ears!
I think you have some great ideas here. Reach out to some of the community & 4-year colleges you’re thinking of to learn what that process looks like. My guess is it’ll be a lot of the entry-level courses at the CC with major-focused classes at the 4 year. Those college admissions counselors will also be able to tell you which courses are online-only, how many courses people take with a full-time job versus being full-time students, how much study time goes into a course, stuff like that. That will help shape your timeline of when do you quit to go full time, does it make sense to work and take one or two classes to get back in the swing of school, stuff like that. Plus, they could point you to some financial aid packages you might qualify for that you wouldn’t hear about otherwise.

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

eternalvictory posted:

Any ideas for a late twenties dude who has worked office for the last 1.5 years doing inside sales and establishing an ERP/work analysis program in a fabrication/manufacturing setting? I have no degree, went from general labor to welder to lead fabricator/shipping/everything to worming my way into an office, all with no experience. I’m super tenacious when it comes to any work put in front of me, and really badly want to get into something similar to what I’m doing now, but making much more money and would love a WFH setup. My wife is about to graduate and can give me enough time to let me quit me job and focus on getting a 2-year degree (an associates..right?), but I don’t have any clue what fields will truly yield a worthwhile time investment

Goons, please, please help me make bank. I’m incredibly hardworking and as a current example I’m the ERP software my current employer hadn’t enabled to track jobs for regular items we manufacture and can see through raw material and labor data where our pricing should be, went through and made lists to corral like items so they could be price adjusted when their common raw material goes up in price, the list goes on. Mind you I also had to come up with the backbone for this ERP software and actually has to basically translate what the lovely xml table backed software does so it works for our unique manufacturing process.

Please help thank you :S

Apologies for the long effort post but this is kind of in my wheelhouse. FWIW, I started out in inside sales a long time ago and was in ERP software in that role for awhile at a global megacorp well known in this area so can somewhat relate. A couple of thoughts:
  • As others have said, having a bachelors for most of the jobs you'll want will likely be a prerequisite. In my brief time as a inside sales hiring manager, I was more concerned about someone's drive and execution, as that's more important to the job imo and there is always a chance to sell yourself to the hiring manager along those lines. I'd even brought this up to others in management in the past and several said they viewed college degree as "being able to start something and see it through long-term," which I understand but doesn't mean they're be great in a sales job that more than anything requires persistence, patience, dealing with rejection a lot, and consistency in your efforts despite all of that.

What was an interesting dichotomy is that Megacorp had external contractors for SDRs to make cold calls, set meetings etc, a major part of which were through a women's prison program/company called Televerde. Unsurprisingly, many of these women did NOT have 4-year degrees but DID have felony records. However, they also were willing to work hard and generally followed direction because they wanted a 2nd chance; once they got out from serving their sentence, they would often then become contractors directly for the megacorp, with several of them became FTE's, which was pretty cool. I personally worked with and mentored several of them and got mine hired on directly, which she greatly appreciated and later moved onto field sales at a small channel partner. Just an example of what your educational background (or not) being less of a factor than drive and showing you can do the job.

My degree is in "International Business," which turned out to be about as meaningless as it sounds, and have worked with journalism majors, econ, several that had been attorneys, ex-military, teachers, former restaurateurs or small business founders, it really spans the gamut. The nice thing about sales is that it's very black-and-white and your background really isn't as important as "did you close deals and achieve quota, y/n?"

• When you talk about making money, what range are you targeting? I don't know the comp plans for inside sales now but in software, it used to be like $100k total split 50/50. If money is your #1 motivating factor, I would say if possible work on moving to field sales - in normal times, I'd say it would likely require at least another 1-2 years with a strong track record in inside sales first, but the comp (and pressure) is significantly higher. Standard OTE in my field is $125k base and $125k variable/commission, with potential for much higher with accelerators above plan, plus tech companies are generally good about benefits, 401k, and possible equity. I don't live in what you'd call an high concentration of that type of company or jobs like the Bay Area or NYC and I'm not a great saleperson by any means, it's more a career I muddled into, but have been able to WFH for 10+ years now and made a pretty good living to support my family from it.

What's cool is it's a profession that can earn as much as those with advanced degrees like doctors or attorneys. Results are not typical but I know several of my peers that have made well over $500k some years and the higher performers can W2 over $1M. The top people at my company probably make 1.5-2x what the C-Suite do. On top of the potential for great compensation, President's Club/Winners Circle trips can be incredible experiences.

• With your background with ERP/work analysis, you could possibly get a smaller SaaS company to take a look at you eventually, but you'd likely need a more established history of over-achievement to mitigate some of the other things they would look for. However, based upon what I've seen, some startups are so desperate for talent nowadays, and there is so much turnover for entry-level jobs, they'll take on anyone with a bit of sales experience. Selling and revenue attainment will be the most important factor, but you having skills outside of that on the semi-development side I think could help a lot, as at a startup, you will have to be more independent in how you approach deals, "doing more with less resources" etc.

I'm currently in field sales at a mid-size, high growth SaaS company (recently hit 1000 employees) and we have several inside/SDR types who took somewhat of a step back to join as there was major upside financially here 2-3 years out and more of a career path. For example my current SDR is probably 32-33 yro, served in the Marines for several years, then was a director of sales for local technical certifications and training, but came here since there is much more of a long-term path for growth. So if you're open to taking a bit of a step-back to possibly have a better overall path, might be something to think about.

• It won't totally compensate for lack of degree, but you might also want to look into some of the sales training programs and certifications available - I'm not up-to-speed on what the latest-and-greatest are but through previous employers, I got certified on SPIN, Executive Focused Selling, "Bridging the Chasm," "Dale Carnegie, Relationship Selling, "Selling Through Curiosity" and several others. Knowing some of the different approaches is helpful to emphasize in interviews and to utilize different modalities in different situations.

Along these lines, there are some good sites like SalesHacker, JB Sales (my personal fav, Barrows and his team are awesome and frequently put on pretty insightful, free weekly webinars) or quite a few people on LinkedIn and Twitter that are worth following and interacting with - you can learn a fair amount from them and probably get others' thoughts on how to approach this. I haven't checked out r/sales but I'd imagine there is something similar, though questionable quality.

• Another thing you might want to look into given your current role is some sort of Sales Operations type gig? Sounds like you're already doing similar sort of work, whether because of your aptitude and/or current employer's gaps in that area, so that could be an angle. They'll want you to really understand CRM systems and be an Excel wiz but those things you can probably pick up organically and having direct experience of managing a territory and accounts will go far with the people you'd support and management.

• As Kyoon Griffey pointed out, there are no shortage of companies looking to replace lovely legacy and/or homegrown applications as more things go to the Cloud, people who created/maintained these are retiring and so forth. That and people and resources to support this transition and deploy new solutions as consultants are in VERY high demand.

For example, my current company is often replacing legacy systems like Hyperion and manual stuff like Excel and our partners cannot find enough solid consultants to staff projects. And even when they have enough consultants, they're usually primarily focused on delivery, not the business development side, which means they're largely at the mercy of the company they're partnering with to feed them i.e. bringing them into projects, not finding them through their own efforts. We've expanded pretty quickly, especially in the last 2 years during COVID, and while there are some positives to this growth, ultimately it can delay clients' going live if we don't have enough people to deploy what we've sold and it's also a risk if the deployment partner is only focused on what they're working on now vs finding future projects. I personally know 1 one of my clients that couldn't find an admin certified on my company's product, but found someone younger who had similar experience and was eager to learn so hired her, otherwise they would have had to pay lots of money to poach someone local and/or relocate from another area. So people are having to get creative and hiring someone who might not be an exact fit, but can grow into the job.

I'm happy to discuss via PM and however I can help.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Holy smokes, thanks for getting back to me in such a manner, folks.
I’m lucky to have my partner who is just finishing up her schooling and went CC to state, and she’s gone ahead and already got a lot of my paperwork end of things started, like getting me signed up for financial aid. But it is clear I need to get ahold of someone like a counsellor, I think that’s number one on my list at this point.

Rapstar -
First off, thanks again for taking so much time, I appreciate all the insight and hearing about your background - I’ll try address everything I can without creating too much filler.

I’m really torn on what do when considering a sales path or not, I’m inside sales at the moment but my company is so fast and loose that I often end up as first contact where I find myself selling. I wouldn’t say I enjoy that side of things though, even the inside sales part of sales wears on me pretty hard. Which is why the idea presented by kyoon is so intriguing to me, I love building systems and I also love educating others on how those systems can be utilized and how they’ll benefit from incorporating new tools. I haven’t been exposed to even a half assed decent sales environment, so I can’t/won’t neg the idea completely, but I also know that my social anxiety combined with the wrong fit would be a disaster for me.

I don’t have a specific pay in mind as I’m pretty unaware of any of these topics, and it’s partly my motivation for putting myself out there and asking y’all these dopey questions. I know it’s gross to say, but I’m just looking to earn as much as I can, and betting on goons knowing about solid niche fields or otherwise even normal career paths that I’m just wholly unaware of. I had figured I would be told that sales is my best bet for earning 200k and onwards, and I think that’s the baseline I’m after. I know I’m smart and have excellent experience that can relay how I’m a good fit in most any situation I can think of, and I’m dying to figure out how and where I can best throw my weight to get the best outcome possible for my income.

I have more I need to respond, but I have to cut myself short at the moment. Apologies for any points I haven’t yet address, I’ll try to continue this later tonight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"Sales engineer" or "presales" might be a fit too. Basically what you described as fun: show people the product, explain why it will solve their problems. Latter part is far more important.

Often, it's more about teaching and being hyped about your solution vs the more sales-y stuff which also might be a fit. People also transition between these roles and full on account executive (or whatever title) all the time, so it's not an option-limiter.

Comp is still really good 100-300k depending on commission at a big SAAS co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah sales engineering is a good fit