Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

crepeface posted:

googling "best mask covid" and buying the result is not consumerism keep your half baked beliefs in the oven a bit longer

also idk what you're talking about, I've seen plenty of n95, kf94 and p2 masks though I wish saw more

I would add to this that at least where I live in the US (Seattle) we have essentially had an indoor mask mandate since early 2020, save for a few months in spring 2021. Given that many people have been required to wear masks continuously while working for nearly 2 years, it’s not terribly unreasonable to seek out options that are comfortable and effective while also allowing movement and communication as necessary for work tasks. It’s really no different from picking out a set of good work shoes, and the differences in quality of day-to-day life are equally noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why is the US hospitalisation rate way worse than we are seeing in Canada or Denmark? Is it because of the vaccination rate?

In BC (which was an epicentre of Omicron in Canada) it's spread so wildly our testing infrastructure has just completely collapsed, half the shops around here are partially closed because of lack of staff who are isolating and yet our ICU wards are still only half full, way below the peaks of the other waves

edit: most people only have two shots still, they only started doing general pop booster at the start of January

Alctel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 11, 2022

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Alctel posted:

Why is the US hospitalisation rate way worse than we are seeing in Canada or Denmark? Is it because of the vaccination rate?
I suspect it's this, the US has a hideously bad vaccination rate.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

crepeface posted:

googling "best mask covid" and buying the result is not consumerism keep your half baked beliefs in the oven a bit longer

also idk what you're talking about, I've seen plenty of n95, kf94 and p2 masks though I wish saw more

No but watching mask reviews on Youtube is. Something about the idea that if I can just be an Informed Consumer and Purchase the Best Product, I will be Protected. Though I can't really fault that from people in countries where that genuinely is their only protection beyond isolating as best they can because the government hasn't done poo poo. I just don't seem to see it much from the Europeans in here, it seems mostly an American thing.

Re: n95s - in Perth? Really? I'll take your word for it but in Melbourne it's like 90% cotton, 9% surgical (especially on the elderly), 1% something better. All anecdata of course.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

much like their posting

Source: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

I do not think going further and citing specific posters or examples would be in a spirit of comradely good fellowship though I could mention the US CE / USPOL thread as a honeypot for such posting.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 11, 2022

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Don't forget our morbidly obese rate and 'hasn't seen the inside of a doctor's office until their lungs were full of the 'rona' rate.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Alctel posted:

There's a lot of vaccinated people in hospitals, but differences like this are still largely driven by how many unvaccinated people there are unless it's very close yeah. Using CDC information of ~80% reduction in hospitalization from vax, which has not been updated for omicron but I've basically rounded down to the nearest 10. And using only fullvax numbers assuming nobody else has any vax for simplicity since adding all factors could get very complicated and it's already probably not a great estimate due to omicron:

75% vax (canada)
.75 * .2 + .25 = .4 vs no vax rate of 1
62% vax (US)
.62 * .2 + .38 = .504 vs no vax rate of 1

(A entire fully vaccinated population would have 1 * .2 + 0 = .2 vs a no vax rate of 1)

.504 / .28 = 1.26 = expected ~26% more hospitalizations per person in the United States given the factors above based on vaccine status alone.

E: Higher vaccination effectiveness vs hospitalization would increase this expectation and vice versa.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 11, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

freebooter posted:

No but watching mask reviews on Youtube is. Something about the idea that if I can just be an Informed Consumer and Purchase the Best Product, I will be Protected. Though I can't really fault that from people in countries where that genuinely is their only protection beyond isolating as best they can because the government hasn't done poo poo. I just don't seem to see it much from the Europeans in here, it seems mostly an American thing.

Re: n95s - in Perth? Really? I'll take your word for it but in Melbourne it's like 90% cotton, 9% surgical (especially on the elderly), 1% something better. All anecdata of course.

plenty of people youtube reviews for computer parts, video games, cooking ingredients/utensils/tools, tvs, household appliances etc

why do you think watching a guy test the listed specifications of a mask or talk about fit/comfort is consumer culture rather than simply using a resource to learn more about a topic

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Rust Martialis posted:

much like their posting

killer_robot posted:

Don't forget our morbidly obese rate and 'hasn't seen the inside of a doctor's office until their lungs were full of the 'rona' rate.
Both extremely valid points.

I think I mentioned before that the pandemic will tend to exacerbate existing problems and from the sounds of it the state of US public healthcare wasn't great pre-COVID.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Best public healthcare in the world if you can afford it. (Nobody's interested in making sure you can afford it.)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Suzera posted:

There's a lot of vaccinated people in hospitals, but differences like this are still largely driven by how many unvaccinated people there are yeah. Using CDC information of ~80% reduction in hospitalization from vax, which has not been updated for omicron but I've basically rounded down to the nearest 10. And using only fullvax numbers assuming nobody else has any vax for simplicity since adding all factors could get very complicated and it's already probably not a great estimate due to omicron:

75% vax (canada)
.75 * .2 + .2 = .4 vs no vax rate of 1
62% vax (US)
.62 * .2 + .38 = .504 vs no vax rate of 1

(A entire fully vaccinated population would have 1 * .2 + 0 = .2 vs a no vax rate of 1)

.504 / .28 = 1.26 = expected ~26% more hospitalizations per person in the United States given the factors above based on vaccine status alone.

E: Higher vaccination effectiveness vs hospitalization would increase this expectation and vice versa.

Nit: your canada line should be "+0.25"? Math is right.

At this point DK is something around 94% Omicron. Ignoring the other variants (for the current purposes only as I think this is a bad idea):
pre:
                                 Unvaccinated              Partial           Full                           Unvaccinated    Partial    Full
09 JAN    New cases:                     403.6                367.3          276.6    Hospitalizations:              40.6       35.3    9.4
"Full" here would include 2 sticks and also boosted. The current data isn't yet teased out into "0, 1, 2, or 3" sets sadly.

In the last couple weeks "partial" has been a lot closer to "unvaccinated" , but "full" is somewhat lower, and consistently so for infections.

For hospitalization, "full" has been consistently somewhere in the 75% lower rate range. So toss SSI as a source onto the pile?

DK reports a "population" of 5.18M - which means they're excluding some people, I think children, from vaccination. So the report that 88.3% of Danes are fully vaccinated is confusing, but among those over whatever age cutoff SSI uses... (I looked but I can't find why)

0.88*0.2 + 0.12 = 29.6%

DK vs USA - 0.504/0.296 = 1.70x
DK vs CAN - 0.400/0.296 = 1.35x

The multipliers are incommensurate though because of where we are in each wave, history, and lockdown level - DK has masking in stores and transit, for example. And people are doing it.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 11, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Rust Martialis posted:

much like their posting

We are now moderating based on quality of argument. You haven't provided any support for your claim here, I would invite you to expand on your reasoning and provide some references if helpful.

edit: sorry, it's late my time and my post was a lovely half-joke. Your post I quoted is bordering on white noise. Please make sure your posts are some combination of interesting, informative, or funny.

Koos Group posted:

[*]Being boring. This could include making the same claim over and over in the same way, particularly when you're the one bringing it up, or repeating a very common talking point we're all likely to have heard before. This is subjective, so it will be enforced fairly leniently.

"much like your posting" is a cliche/meme on SA. I don't have any problem with it if it's a good jab, but this is subjective.

If you're gonna post a catchphrase, cliche, or meme make sure it's squarely on target or you're risking getting a sixer depending on which mod is paying attention. Being clever vs. white noise is a fine line and pretty subjective.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 11, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Rust Martialis posted:

Nit: your canada line should be "+0.25"? Math is right.
Yeah, used 80% when I first wrote it for a reason I don't remember right now, maybe it was the single vax rate, but didn't edit that bit when I fixed it. Good catch.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 11, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Rust Martialis posted:

DK reports a "population" of 5.18M - which means they're excluding some people, I think children, from vaccination. So the report that 88.3% of Danes are fully vaccinated is confusing, but among those over whatever age cutoff SSI uses... (I looked but I can't find why)

0.88*0.2 + 0.12 = 29.6%

DK vs USA - 0.504/0.296 = 1.70x
DK vs CAN - 0.400/0.296 = 1.35x

The multipliers are incommensurate though because of where we are in each wave, history, and lockdown level - DK has masking in stores and transit, for example. And people are doing it.

Canada is 89% vaccinated for the over 12s, which may be what DK is using

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Rust Martialis posted:

Source: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

I do not think going further and citing specific posters or examples would be in a spirit of comradely good fellowship though I could mention the US CE / USPOL thread as a honeypot for such posting.

:chloe:

What constitutes white noise posting is very subjective. There is no minimum word count or post length or whatever for D&D, but if you're gonna post catchphrases, memes, emptyquote, etc make sure they're on target. Me personally I don't wanna throw out 6ers for this sort of thing, just please avoid white noisy stuff.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rust Martialis posted:

(..)
(..)

If you are talking about breakthroughs specifically, only 12+ could get vaccinated when the breakthrough dashboard was introduced and they have kept it that way since (probably for data consistency). It says 12+ at the top of the breakthrough dashboard: "Statens Serum Institut - Gennembrudsinfektioner (opgjort for 12+ årige)". Source (the Danish breakthrough infections dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d/page/Gennembrud/

The "fully" vaccinated percentage currently stands at 88.9% (90.2% partial) for 12+ and 82.9% (85.8% partial) for 5+. Confusingly the third dose is only stated as total population at 53.1%, of which only 79.2% are "fully" vaccinated (82.1% partial).

Out of the 1052k completely unvaccinated in Denmark, 24.2% are ineligible children under 5 and 33.4% are children 5-12. Source (the Danish vaccination dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/9824b03b114244348ef0b10f69f490b4/page/Regionalt/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Alctel posted:

Canada is 89% vaccinated for the over 12s, which may be what DK is using

We're also reporting over 50% boosted at this stage, but I have no loving clue what population SSI uses.

I would also like to state that Pingui is way more on top of the data. I am not an epidemiologist, I can stare at data okay and sometimes see patterns maybe, but you can see faces on the moon and animals in clouds. I *am* reasonably trained in analyzing datasets and but the nuances of statistics are hellish. I'm trying to do better all the time.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 11, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

crepeface posted:

plenty of people youtube reviews for computer parts, video games, cooking ingredients/utensils/tools, tvs, household appliances etc

why do you think watching a guy test the listed specifications of a mask or talk about fit/comfort is consumer culture rather than simply using a resource to learn more about a topic

Because it's weird. Any N95 is fine, picking the ~Best Brand~ is not going to give anyone any particular edge over the virus and it'll all be neutralised anyway when some CHUD coughs in your eyes at Target

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

freebooter posted:

Because it's weird. Any N95 is fine, picking the ~Best Brand~ is not going to give anyone any particular edge over the virus and it'll all be neutralised anyway when some CHUD coughs in your eyes at Target
To some degree yeah because it's still the same rated filtration medium. But also fakes that don't match the rating exist, some masks fit some face shapes better so you get a better seal (which is important), some are easier to wear for extended periods so you're less inclined to take them off or futz with them (touching your face or possible mask->eye transfer), and (especially for elastomerics but also sometimes ffrs) you also have issues like clarity of voice which might require extra don/doff.

Would I expect everyone to go through this effort? No. Think it should be required? Maybe, but leaning no atm. Do I think it's useful to try to get a mask that works better for you to keep the protection intact? Yes, absolutely.

E: Is it "weird"? Maybe, but "normal" right now is killing and debilitating a lot of people so I really don't care to consider that alone as a justification for not bettering your protection.

E2: I'm going to assume the cough thing is basically a joke and you don't mean it anywhere near literally or universally since that would imply masking alone is useless. And can be fixed with eye protection anyway if it's really that big of a concern.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 11, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Suzera posted:

E2: I'm going to assume the cough thing is basically a joke and you don't mean it anywhere near literally or universally since that would imply masking alone is useless. And can be fixed with eye protection anyway if it's really that big of a concern.

I mean it in the sense that mask obsession (or rather ~Perfect Mask~ obsession) is tied into the idea that you, personally, can purchase something that will greatly protect you, personally, from COVID. Which is not necessarily untrue, but I think you're still probably better protected if you walk into a store where the other 10 people are wearing surgical masks and you're maskless than if you walk into one where 10 people are maskless and you have your Youtube-review-endorsed N95.

But I also realise that the latter is probably a more common scenario for most Americans so I'm not trying to judge. It just kind of feels like a marker of how much the state has failed, especially when it comes down to Youtube reviews and Amazon vendors. Real loving 21st century dystopia poo poo.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

freebooter posted:

I mean it in the sense that mask obsession (or rather ~Perfect Mask~ obsession) is tied into the idea that you, personally, can purchase something that will greatly protect you, personally, from COVID. Which is not necessarily untrue, but I think you're still probably better protected if you walk into a store where the other 10 people are wearing surgical masks and you're maskless than if you walk into one where 10 people are maskless and you have your Youtube-review-endorsed N95.

But I also realise that the latter is probably a more common scenario for most Americans so I'm not trying to judge. It just kind of feels like a marker of how much the state has failed, especially when it comes down to Youtube reviews and Amazon vendors. Real loving 21st century dystopia poo poo.
If you're indoors in an enclosed area without great ventilation where other people wear surgical masks and hang around for a while that still leaves the room getting saturated with aerosols, so you definitely want the seal and filtration when you inhale in that scenario. Unenclosed outdoors or in places with great ventilation+filters on that system from what I've seen the proposal is correct since it basically has to be shot into your face there and surgical masks do a good job of preventing that.

So it kind of depends? But also there's a lot of indoors+enclosed+poor ventilation spots so might as well have an n95 you aren't inclined to take off or frequently break the seal on.

I do feel like getting the "best n95 for you" is kind of extra credit, but it's also the kind of thing that if you do get one that seals poorly on you or is fake or you have to take off to speak then whoops you have covid from that mandatory one hour in person conference room work meeting yesterday with people wearing an assortment of surgical and cloth (or no) masks, and then hope you roll well on the dice.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 11, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

freebooter posted:

oh now we're talking about brands and not just masks in general? :rolleyes:

fyi the kn95 standard doesn't have a certification process so a lot of them weren't up to standard so the brand did matter.

slorb
May 14, 2002
There are real differences between legitimate n95/kn95/kf94/p2 masks in comfort and the pressure level required to breathe. Picking a mask isnt just about whether it fits your face.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
If you’re wearing a quality respirator (n95 or elastomeric) and practice basic precautions, it doesn’t matter what masks (or lack of) others are wearing.

Please stop discouraging people from seeking out quality PPE that will protect them. In my anecdotal evidence, all the people who have tried to shame me for wearing a respirator are the ones who are “taking Covid seriously.” It’s such a bizarre thing. Usually the argument is “you’re vaccinated stop living in fear.” Is taking basic precautions living in fear? Pretending like sourcing and wearing an effective mask is a Herculean task is such a common talking point, but I cannot understand why.

Do you think condoms are all one size fits all and any condom will do for any dick? Who cares about brand just use whatever is in the bathroom vending machine even if it’s a piece of crap that will surely rip?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

So when the executive branch tries to get the masks, who do they pay, and with what money?

How are the tests being acquired and paid for and why can’t we just follow a similar path?

Vox I noticed that your specialty in this forum appears to be shooting down idea of a functioning government. Can you provide details on how we could actually flatten the line of covid infections?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing a lot of “death by a thousand paper cuts”.

This is awesome! What about other blue states / cities? Are they doing anything similar?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shut the gently caress up you stupid commie, the government doesn't exist to buy you a mask or get you a covid test or protect your loved ones from a horrible disease or promote the general welfare.

The government exists to turn tax dollars into missiles for Israel and Saudi Arabia, it's in the Constitution. The government is out there doing stuff, Biden spent $700 billion dollars on the military just last year, your ignorance of what the government is doing doesn't obligate us to ignore how many great bombs it bought

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 11, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Vox I noticed that your specialty in this forum appears to be shooting down idea of a functioning government. Can you provide details on how we could actually flatten the line of covid infections?

Otherwise it sounds like you are doing a lot of “death by a thousand paper cuts”.

The well researched and explained responses have thoroughly convinced me that the problem is not incompetence or apathy but that the state itself is fundamentally incapable of meeting the needs of a modern nation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Imagine if we had a president that vetoed a military spending bill because it didn't include funding to protect Americans from a deadly pandemic that's on its way back up to doing a 9/11 a day, again

Eh who am I kidding every congressmen would get a nice dinner and a visit from a hooker courtesy of Lockheed and his veto would be overriden by a 5/4 supermajority

(a 5/4 supermajority is when 25 senators vote twice and the lobbyist lets them upgrade their wine choice)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 11, 2022

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Ontario's ICUs continue to flatten the curve vertically (this is our single-day record for ICU admissions btw):

https://twitter.com/OntHospitalAssn/status/1480889175809343491

Our premiere also announced that schools are re-opening on Monday, along with new COVID-friendly measures like "school kids can't get tested unless they literally develop major symptoms while in class", "no one in a classroom is a close contact", and "parents or teachers will no longer be notified about any cases in the schools"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fritz the Horse posted:

If you're gonna post a catchphrase, cliche, or meme make sure it's squarely on target or you're risking getting a sixer depending on which mod is paying attention. Being clever vs. white noise is a fine line and pretty subjective.
Vote!

(just kidding)

VitalSigns posted:

Imagine if we had a president that vetoed a military spending bill because it didn't include funding to protect Americans from a deadly pandemic that's on its way back up to doing a 9/11 a day, again

That would be cool, and unlike most things the president gets slagged for, something I could actually see a better president (like Bernie Sanders) doing, and improving policy in the process. Not using the leverage the NDAA affords for anything is weak as hell. Hell, at the very least demand they reappropriate the $20 billion the Pentagon didn't even ask for to get sent to Americans as a tax rebate ($60/person - not nothing!) You could also send every American multiple N95s for that amount, couldn't you?

------

My Covid test from last Wednesday came back negative, which is pretty implausible considering I sleep next to somebody who has tested positive multiple times (including today!) It was a saliva test, which requires not eating or drinking anything for 30 minutes before the test, which I'm not really sure whether I complied with because they didn't tell me until 1 minute before the test. (I had a drink in my car, so it's possible that I didn't do this.) I also don't know if that's one of the types of tests that being a smoker can interfere with? Anybody know anything about saliva tests?

My family still has one antigen test socked away so I am going to take it today. I am not trusting that negative result for one god drat second.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And yes, it took me six days to get my results, and considering very few people are probably actually quarantining while waiting indefinitely for their results (I did, because I am pretty confident I'm contagious), all of those tests that are being given and that people are waiting hours in line for are basically worthless, except for statistical purposes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I remember last March or April, mod sassinator was still saying we get to 2+million dead Americans within a couple of years. Sounded absolutely crazy at the time with the way case counts were going.

Shame it looks like they'll be right.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Better almost two years late than never, I suppose

https://twitter.com/bylenasun/statu...ingawful.com%2F

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

I had no idea this hadn't happened already :psyduck:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

brugroffil posted:

I remember last March or April, mod sassinator was still saying we get to 2+million dead Americans within a couple of years. Sounded absolutely crazy at the time with the way case counts were going.

I'm sure before we get to that point they'll have separated from Covid and with Covid and all official numbers will be completely useless.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

brugroffil posted:

Love or hate mod sassinator, I hope someone did a welfare check after they peaced out

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

brugroffil posted:

"considering" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

brugroffil posted:

We're not even halfway to 2 million; we've obviously botched the gently caress out of this wave but "hopefully" it should only take a couple hundred thousand more. If the fallout from omicron results in a better public health response - disallowing large events, encouraging respirators (oh hey, some good news on that!), universal masking - then we can stay well under 2 million.

I bolded the large events because how the gently caress have we not done this???? It really makes any individual's efforts feel useless when they're still cramming thousands of people into arenas to watch NBA teams that are basically G-league teams because all their stars have Covid. The NBA was really proactive in 2020 and I think they could send a huge message by closing their arenas to fans, but they're just... not.

If people are really unwilling to forgo even the most obvious superspreaders, then yeah, 2 million could easily happen by 2023 if we get another major wave.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mellow Seas posted:

We're not even halfway to 2 million; we've obviously botched the gently caress out of this wave but "hopefully" it should only take a couple hundred thousand more. If the fallout from omicron results in a better public health response - disallowing large events, encouraging respirators (oh hey, some good news on that!), universal masking - then we can stay well under 2 million.

I bolded the large events because how the gently caress have we not done this???? It really makes any individual's efforts feel useless when they're still cramming thousands of people into arenas to watch NBA teams that are basically G-league teams because all their stars have Covid. The NBA was really proactive in 2020 and I think they could send a huge message by closing their arenas to fans, but they're just... not.

If people are really unwilling to forgo even the most obvious superspreaders, then yeah, 2 million could easily happen by 2023 if we get another major wave.

Why wouldn't we get another major wave? How do you see this ending anytime soon? Genuinely, what reason is there to believe that Covid won't still be a major problem three years from now other than really wanting it not to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm sure they could break down excess deaths and try to approximate a real death toll that's much larger than the official numbers. But it'll be years and take a lot of research and even then probably won't be super accurate.