Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It's a shame it happened, poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Poor Lupin, and poor everyone else, the other cats are going to miss him, too. I believe he was the oldest cat

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Poor Lupin, and poor everyone else, the other cats are going to miss him, too. I believe he was the oldest cat

Nope, youngest of the original three. I think he was 9 or so.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aw man... :(

Crabgrass is on break for a while

Old School Peanuts (Apr 11, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 18-19, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

:suspense:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aw drat Lupin :(

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Oh no. Poor Lupin.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
RIP Lupin

See you in the funny pages (but not in, like, a mean or dismissive way)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Lupin Forever 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

RIP Lupin

See you in the funny pages (but not in, like, a mean or dismissive way)

I am curious to see how the strip handles this since she *does* take a lot of inspiration from real-life happenings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
RIP Lupin. Drawing Lupin could just be too hard for her after the loss, or maybe she will want him to live on in some form in the comic. People handle grief differently so all we can do is wait and see I guess.

I don't understand, why wouldn't Dustin want to work nights? I mean aside from the whole "Dustin just doesn't want to work at all because he's a lazy millennial" poo poo, he could work at night and then sleep during the day which would allow him to avoid the verbal abuse from his family, seems like a pretty favorable situation to me, I feel like he'd be asking for only jobs that had night shifts available.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics
The people who were guessing the cobwebs were the core of the lie were only half right!

Wait what? Does velvet really burn instantly?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was Lupin the deaf one?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Popping in with an example of Dilbert from a desk calendar.

Definitely weeding out the day-to-day Adams BS for these.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Was Lupin the deaf one?

Yeah, Lupin was deaf. He was also the youngest of the original three cats, 4 years younger than Elvis and one year younger than Puck. He had actually turned 9 years old back in 2021.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The_Other posted:

Yeah, Lupin was deaf. He was also the youngest of the original three cats, 4 years younger than Elvis and one year younger than Puck. He had actually turned 9 years old back in 2021.

It was weird to see pics of the actual cat. She draws them so chubby.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't understand, why wouldn't Dustin want to work nights? I mean aside from the whole "Dustin just doesn't want to work at all because he's a lazy millennial" poo poo, he could work at night and then sleep during the day which would allow him to avoid the verbal abuse from his family, seems like a pretty favorable situation to me, I feel like he'd be asking for only jobs that had night shifts available.

Because the boomer writing him cannot conceive of wanting to work nights. Only jobs with 9-to-5-type hours are respectable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Dustin doesn't want to work nights" is 100% that he's shiftless, unmotivated, and unwilling to pound the pavement and pull himself up by the bootstraps.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Awww, RIP Lupin. You were a good kitty.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

I hope this results in Bernice being told she’s absolutely a terrible fit for being a therapist/counselor/whatever.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I am curious to see how the strip handles this since she *does* take a lot of inspiration from real-life happenings.

The original webcomic had an about page that stated that none of the cats would ever die in-strip, iirc. Beatrix is based on a cat they had who died very young who she put in the comic as a tribute, Baba Mouse is Georgia's childhood cat I think, etc.

edit: Some extra (very good) pics and info in the Instagram post.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 11, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
RIP Lupin. A good kitty and a fine journalist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The author probably didn't think this far, but I find that when I go nocturnal it REALLY wreaks havoc with my mental state. Just sad and bitter and my depression gets dialed up to 11. I can do it physically, I even seem more inclined to stay up late, but mentally it's not worth it at all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regardless of the rest of the strip, this is a good line.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have never worked a true graveyard shift, but between college and grad school I worked an arts admin job that meant I had to be at work until usually 9:00 or 10:00 every night. At that age it killed me to not be able to go out and socialize in the evenings, and to get out of work and not have anywhere open to go (this was a college town in Maine so even the grocery closed at like 9:30), especially since wife (gf at the time) worked a 9-5 at the same university and would usually only be awake for an hour or two after I got out of work and walked home.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Just sitting here crying over a cat I did not know who inspired a newspaper comic they I post on these dead gay forums.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
RIP to Lupin, love that little mfer

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Graveyard shifts are hell and I blame no one for having that be a firm line.

But also i 100% would expect Dustin's family to not let him sleep during the day. He has to share to a bedroom with his grandfather, for chrissakes.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

RoboRodent posted:

But also i 100% would expect Dustin's family to not let him sleep during the day. He has to share to a bedroom with his grandfather, for chrissakes.

No, see it's perfect. They can take turns in the bed.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I've worked swing shift (2-10pm or 4-midnight, depending) for a tour company in Alaska when I was in college, and it often turned into a graveyard shift lasting well into the early morning hours of 2 to 3 or 4am during the busy season. All sorts of things happen that make for delays, rescues, guest transfers, last minute tour refitting. We got paid good overtime, but it definitely was a benefit to be young and energetic and also that it only really lasted 2-3 months. There were a bunch of us who were working similar tourism industry jobs, so we had something of a late night crew that would get together around 3 or 4am most days to decompress (or re-compress?) and hang out. Since it was light all the time during the summer it really just felt like a quieter time of day than it being the middle of the night. I suppose we were lucky to that there was a 24hr grocery in town, but even still we were of the persuasion of not necessarily needing or wanting to go somewhere like a bar or diner or something but would head out to places like a gravel pit or tailing ponds or someone's cabin to have cookouts, or swims, or light bonfires from branches pulled out of slash piles that the dept. of transportation piled up.
I think that because of those circumstances it wasn't bad at all and I had some fantastic times. But I also can see how that if that were the norm, it would quickly burn someone out or if there wasn't that kind of community of similarly occupied people it'd be isolating as hell. I got lucky for sure.

Scarf that celestial catnip Lupin, you've earned it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Working overnight was fine for me, but I'm pretty nocturnal and have an appointment to do a sleep study for delayed sleep phase disorder. It's definitely not for everyone, especially not someone with a clearly severe sleep disorder like Dustin. Why isn't anyone concerned about his health? (Because they hate him, but still) (gently caress Ed)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

here lies WILBUR
he never scored

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Crab Dad posted:

He’s gonna wake up soaked in piss on his bed.

Here's my prediction:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

From Georgia Dunn's Instagram, some of the last pictures taken of Lupin

Georgia Dunn posted:

Some of the last photos of Lupin, taken last night when he and Iggy were getting skritches. ❤️ Thank you so much everyone for all of the love and kind words. I wish I could respond to everyone individually. I have been reading them throughout the night whenever sadness hits me (so, a lot) and your words have been a great comfort. Thank you. ❤️

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Aww, Lupin. :smith: Good cats always go too soon.

RE: night shift, I did night shift first thing out of school and it was doable for a weird loner like me, but still hard. Biggest problem in my case was that I was in an apartment with paper thin walls and noisy neighbors, and by the end of it I was going lowkey insane any time I got woken up in the middle of sleep. (white noise only does so much, and there's basically no recourse to assholes refusing to keep it down and let you sleep when your sleeping hours are during the day)

I work evenings now(3-11pm) and it's probably my ideal shift, since I can basically wake up and go to bed whenever the gently caress I want & I'm out of the apartment when people are stomping around making the most noise. :v:

RoboRodent posted:

I've heard stories of people who've done night shifts for years and had family who were either incapable of understanding that or were so boomer-brained that they couldn't break the "if you're not up by 7am you're a lazy sack of poo poo who's wasting the day" mentality, resulting in repeated wakeups an hour or two after the night shift worker went to bed. (not coincidentally, these stories usually involve people with families that are either abusive or deeply-toxic-but-not-straight-up-abusive)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're really incapable of framing any situation in a context that isn't high school, are they.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Julet Esqu posted:

That slogan is making me irrationally angry

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 11, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

this was on a discord

Didn't know Daniel Clowes wrote and drew Mary Worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Farewell, Lupin.