Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't necessarily fault Geralt for it because even in the books him and Yen's entire dynamic is constantly sleeping around then lying to each other about it immediately. Which is another good argument in favor of Yen because they really are perfect for each other, the toxic power couple.

Hey, that’s not fair, Geralt only slept around whenever he breaks up with Yen for the umpteenth time, Yenn’s the one who started banging an old lover when she was deciding between them.

God, what a hosed up couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, that’s not fair, Geralt only slept around whenever he breaks up with Yen for the umpteenth time, Yenn’s the one who started banging an old lover when she was deciding between them.

God, what a hosed up couple.

Geralt banged several of Yen’s closest friends. To my knowledge Yen never banged anyone that Geralt knew. So, yea….they’re both hosed up. I love the Shard of Ice short story because it’s about two insanely powerful men having a pissing and moaning contest about a woman. It’s amazing and kinda realistic in lot of ways.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did anyone else ever notice the poor choice of words Yen uses during The Last Wish?

She says to the Djinn "Do you see the spell that binds us? Only a Djinn can remove another Djinn's spell. Remove this one and you shall be free." She says that while she is binding the Djinn to herself with a spell. A spell that once removed would free the Djinn. Given that just after the player can make a choice that proves that Geralt's last wish was in fact the spell that was removed, safe to say it's canon that the wish was removed. Still, that was a pretty rookie mistake for her to make there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The thing about the original wish is that, whether it’s removed or not, Geralt and Yen wouldn’t feel a thing. All it did was tie their fates together so the Djinn couldn’t kill Yen, because Geralt was its master and it couldn’t kill Geralt. It didn’t tie their feelings in any way. That was all on them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I guess the wish is also what kills Yen in book canon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I guess the wish is also what kills Yen in book canon.

It’s neat because that ending happens in such a way that the wish is fulfilled, technically, but it’s still by her own hand.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I think this game could be improved a lot by kind of "Arkham-izing" or even adding some Dark Souls into the combat system a little bit. Where the buffs, skills and items become obvious but are also super contextualized, still dependent on player input/timing and work differently against different monsters that make you shake up your strategy a tad more for each fight. I mean, kind of lean more into making the combat a mini game.

My recollection of playing it was that the combat didn't have a whole lot of depth. More than Bethesda games for sure but not enough to make it super exciting, especially with the crossbow being a pea shooter. It was: (auto apply) oils, (use correct) igni plus dodge with some parries thrown in but still mostly seemed to come down to equipment, armor, LVL and HP more than any real video game fighting.

It's a minor complaint but something that would have personally kept me playing more, is easy to implement and might help make different builds against different enemies more strategic and varied.

I think the depth of Witcher 3's combat is supposed to come from preparing for combat and learning about your enemies, but after you know most of it, there's not much left. The combat doesn't feel too great, and it becomes super perfunctory after a point.

And then there's fighting humans, which you do a whole lot and there's not actually much to learn at all, you just figure out how to manage when there's shields.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda funny, cause in retrospect the Batman style combat is probably how playing as a Witcher should feel wrt feinting and disorienting to punch above your weight. Oh well, I’m easily satisfied so I’ll take mediocre hack and slash stuff.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

The thing about the original wish is that, whether it’s removed or not, Geralt and Yen wouldn’t feel a thing. All it did was tie their fates together so the Djinn couldn’t kill Yen, because Geralt was its master and it couldn’t kill Geralt. It didn’t tie their feelings in any way. That was all on them.

I'm one of those dense motherfuckers that conflate their fates being tied, with them having feelings for each other.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't know how the books treat it but in the game that's very much the conclusion you're supposed to draw.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I just interpreted the books as establishing that destiny was a real thing in the fiction. Which made what would otherwise have been convenient, borderline Deus ex machina, events feel grounded and not hacky.

In the same vein, genies being real and capable of influencing reality didn't seem out of place. I just thought it included character's inner workings as well.

It's a good thing that you can have different takes on this though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't know how the books treat it but in the game that's very much the conclusion you're supposed to draw.

That’s absolutely not the case. Geralt was basically love at first sight with Yen, prior to his wish. It’s also why his wish was to save her. The wish was about fate, not feelings.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Again, I have no idea what the books have to say about it. I assume it's pretty close to what happens in the show? The games, the books, and the show are (from my understanding) quite different and have different canonical events.

The game wants you to draw a direct connection between the wish and their romantic feelings for each other. The characters themselves are of that opinion which is why they go and do the things they do in that quest.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The games are basically high quality fan fiction sequels to the books, idk much about the show except that it seems to be telling the same story worse, but the game’s pretty much directly take place after the last book in The Witcher (but really Cirilla) Saga so taking book stuff into account is valid even if the games are great narrative experiences on their own.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

The TV series suffers mostly from being a Netflix production. It could have used more pre production time. There are some moments that come together nicely, but it feels like the only one passionate about the thing is Superman.

I can't imagine someone new to the Witcher being engaged as much as confused by it, but that's just like my opinion man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can kinda get having to trim some stuff down, but from what I watched the thing that absolutely perplexes me is that the rewrote the Saytr encounter to be Geralt and Dandelion’s origin story. Like…why? What does that add compared to him just going “oh, what up my longtime friend” and having the story play out?

Also, Dandelion/Jaskier/Buttercup doesn’t look nearly foppish enough, you should immediately be able to infer that he’s a tool. :colbert:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I really like the TV Jaskier, he's so obviously in love with Geralt and I just love it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the depth of Witcher 3's combat is supposed to come from preparing for combat and learning about your enemies, but after you know most of it, there's not much left. The combat doesn't feel too great, and it becomes super perfunctory after a point.

And then there's fighting humans, which you do a whole lot and there's not actually much to learn at all, you just figure out how to manage when there's shields.

Which is why I actually liked W1 combat the most, you'd just potion up Geralt, choose the right style, point him at the enemy and he'd do these beautiful badass combos and spins and what not. W2/3 combat just has him dodge/roll everywhere and flail around like a drunk.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
When you're bad at combat in W3 you roll around all the time.

When you're ok at combat in W3 you dodge and parry.

When you're good at combat in W3 you airdrop a cluster bomb from across the map and get 3 random mutations for the trouble.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Again, I have no idea what the books have to say about it. I assume it's pretty close to what happens in the show? The games, the books, and the show are (from my understanding) quite different and have different canonical events.

The game wants you to draw a direct connection between the wish and their romantic feelings for each other. The characters themselves are of that opinion which is why they go and do the things they do in that quest.

The characters in the game want to make sure that their circling each other’s love is not a by-product of the wish. They don’t literally believe it makes them love each other. When/if Geralt let’s Yen down in that scene, he’s using it as an opportunity as a clean break. They don’t feel any different for a reason.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

When you're bad at combat in W3 you roll around all the time.

When you're ok at combat in W3 you dodge and parry.

When you're good at combat in W3 you airdrop a cluster bomb from across the map and get 3 random mutations for the trouble.

I find that W2 has a much higher power ceiling than W3 by going full alchemy. I got my Geralt so juiced up that I was killing shield enemies with a single heavy attack exceeding their block value and hp totals combined, oneshot the operator before he could get his shield up and reduced the dragon to 1 hp when she stuck her head into the tower before the fight on the roof even started, effectively skipping both of those bosses. This was after dealing with all human sized enemies by the midgame onward by firebombing the entire room and any boss that let me prepare by placing 10+ of those explosive mines stacked on top of each other.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Asehujiko posted:

I find that W2 has a much higher power ceiling than W3 by going full alchemy. I got my Geralt so juiced up that I was killing shield enemies with a single heavy attack exceeding their block value and hp totals combined, oneshot the operator before he could get his shield up and reduced the dragon to 1 hp when she stuck her head into the tower before the fight on the roof even started, effectively skipping both of those bosses. This was after dealing with all human sized enemies by the midgame onward by firebombing the entire room and any boss that let me prepare by placing 10+ of those explosive mines stacked on top of each other.

And then you start the next game and get killed by a stray dog.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mike the TV posted:

And then you start the next game and get killed by a stray dog.

That’s if you survive the ‘gently caress you non-sword builds’ ghost battle sequence with no potions or signs.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm playing with Ghost Mode mod which supposedly fixes up combat a bit.

Don't really remember how the game was originally but so far it's been pretty fun.

https://witcher-games.fandom.com/wiki/Ghost_Mode#New_damage_formula_and_combat_changes

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I'm playing with Ghost Mode mod which supposedly fixes up combat a bit.

Don't really remember how the game was originally but so far it's been pretty fun.

https://witcher-games.fandom.com/wiki/Ghost_Mode#New_damage_formula_and_combat_changes

The biggest difference I recall is the change to how stamina works. iirc it consumes a little bit of stamina when you roll and stamina also doesn't regenerate when rolling. So you need to use short dodges instead of rolling everywhere. That and some tweaks to abilities. I think they also did something with armor to make heavy attacks more useful.

It feels 90% the same so you don't have to completely relearn combat.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah a lot less rolling a lot more paying attention to enemies to parry their attacks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't mind the W3 combat but Arkham style would have been a vast improvement

But then again those games mostly work because combat consists of 'regular guy' and 'big guy' and not a dozen different shapes and sizes of monster and trying to work that out would have been a nightmare so :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should've kept 2's combat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

They should've kept 2's combat

75% damage bonus on a backslash and the only way to dodge is by rolling. Yeah I totally want to go back to that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the only thing they should bring back from W2 is dice poker, though that might be a more unpopular opinion than the combat

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ainsley McTree posted:

the only thing they should bring back from W2 is dice poker, though that might be a more unpopular opinion than the combat

Isn't W2 dice poker basically just a slot machine?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaal posted:

it's got dice though

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ainsley McTree posted:

it's got dice though

Fair point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Bring back arm wrestling, you cowards :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kaal posted:

I vaguely remember it being absurdly easy to cheese? Or I may have just found it so boring I installed a cheat mod for it.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My favorite romance take is my friend texting me going "Hey, I had sex with that witch lady in the swamp, if I romance someone else will that give me a bad end?"

I took great delight in telling him that Keira had no romantic thoughts about Geralt, that was a one night stand, and that it ended with her magically knocking him out and leaving him.

Random question, does Dandelion's outfit in W3 make anyone else feel like they're getting a headache just looking at it?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I vaguely remember it being absurdly easy to cheese? Or I may have just found it so boring I installed a cheat mod for it.

The latter, I think. It was very common to cheat mod if you were trying to actually make money off it. Otherwise people would arm wrestle a guy in Act 2 a bunch. Dice Poker was fine if you were just trying to get a single win in for a quest, but it was both random and slightly stacked against the player so it wasn't fun or profitable.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Asehujiko posted:

and reduced the dragon to 1 hp when she stuck her head into the tower before the fight on the roof even started, effectively skipping both of those bosses.

I remember having so much fire resistance against the dragon that he actually healed me with his breath. Couldn't stop laughing.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Agaragon posted:

My favorite romance take is my friend texting me going "Hey, I had sex with that witch lady in the swamp, if I romance someone else will that give me a bad end?"

I took great delight in telling him that Keira had no romantic thoughts about Geralt, that was a one night stand, and that it ended with her magically knocking him out and leaving him.

Random question, does Dandelion's outfit in W3 make anyone else feel like they're getting a headache just looking at it?

I can't remember, is it even possible to NOT rumble with the swamp lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mikojan posted:

I can't remember, is it even possible to NOT rumble with the swamp lady?

Yeah you can turn her down and she still knocks you out.