Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

HA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Adorable that Kwiat is the 100th customer, not so much the "she has been taken away" and that we are considered an intruder.

Must rescue our chibby baby!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I warned you guys about walking right into the MC&Ds. Should have gone foraging instead.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I think Kwiat can handle this. Let's go back to the hideout and chill until she returns with a decade's supply of food and a bunch of MCD artifacts.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
:frogsiren: OH GOD THEY TOOK THE CHICKEN :frogsiren:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CONGRATULATIONS to the 100,000TH VIEWER of this thread. Your grand prize is an update at some point later today.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Black August posted:

CONGRATULATIONS to the 100,000TH VIEWER of this thread. Your grand prize is an update at some point later today.

:toot:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I hoist myself up, burning with midnight. Bastards. I'm going t-

-SLAMMO-

My kidneys!! I fall forward clamping my mouth shut to mask the pain while the second backstabbing security bot rolls and flings itself down, pinning me with its metal weight.

[2 Damage!]

HP: 16 / 21
FP: 14 / 15

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

You're a real piece of poo poo, security bot!

Stay calm. Don't do anything sudden or stupid. The bot adjusts to face me in a threatening manner; leaning over to aim a piston at my skull. Which I want it to do, that's a good spot to take a hit, but I have to keep my cool first. Keep my eyes on Kwiat. It's taken her up to the stage... little living sacrifice, white cast blacklight by stagebright. Patterns of obsidian and gold meander with the pace of idle rich, turning the room into a world of shadow and strobe. It's because he's here, now.

I don't dare reach out with the banished of my silver thought. I just peek into the well, and take in the shine reflected up back out. What's coming to my senses? That flicker of light, as he coalesces on stage. But is it HIM him? Hololive - a complex recording? A pretend-AI? A psychic projection? I can't be sure. But I have to accept my new task; get Kwiat out of here without being seen by Carter, or taken down by security.

But he... he's speaking now. Oh I can see him begin to drift through the flickering first steps of high definition, the metal heat of radio waves washing over my ears with steel foam song. I want to watch. I want to see, as the stage dims to nothing but a black void with a golden spotlight, shining down where the security bot sets the chicken. She's so well behaved, how could she not be in this presence? My hands burn to clap my heart out when he finally reveals himself out of the dark.

Carter, oh, you're the menace of the every mundane. Look at you, in your three-piece royal blue. His face golden ratio round, hair so perfect orange spitcurled. He flickers as though he walked out of the first TV set to ever turn on, dripping warm radio light into the confetti storm. The sound of adulation's theme follows him as he closes in on Kwiat, fading when he raises a hand to speak. My chicken stays perfectly still, her wings flared out with pride she doesn't know the source of.

"Hello... hello... hello."

One greeting for her. One for an audience unseen. One for the sky, facing to where his office lies. He walks a slow circle before he looks down smiling at the puffed-up Kwiat. I'm almost proud of her. Carter gestures and takes out a card from his broad blue suit, studying it carefully. He smi̕l̷̢e͘͟s͜ ̶͟ ͢ ̨ ͞͠ ̀ ̨ ̵̸͠ ̛ ̷́ ͢͢ ͞҉ ̛҉ ̡ ̴͟͞ ͏ ̡ ͟ ̸̨ ̀͞ ̴̷̷ ̷̨ ̨̢ ̷̨҉ ̢͡͡ ͠ ̨͟ ͘ ̴͟ ̀ ̢̛ ̀ ͢y̸͡o̵u̴r name right here, young man..."

I- what just-

"...yes, yes here it is in plain text, the Name of a WINNER. The name of a #1, and a #100%. My name is Carter, one of the founders of the establishment you were so kind to walk into, and YOU, are Aitvaras."

He puts a hand out and down to gently take one of Kwiat's wings to shake. "Kadath and asset bless you because this is your day, young man. Aitvaras-" Carter shuffles a lean to turn Kwiat around and put a hand on her back, leading her further onto the stage as he talks. "Aitvaras, I want you to relax and look with me back on your life. I want to talk about why you're here, what led you to this moment - what MADE you a #1. What destined you for the #100. Now, to prepare you for this, Aitvaras, we've prepared a drink; we've prepared the best, for you. Please, take a pick. You're in the winner's circle."

Another spotlight snaps on cleanquick. It shines with a lesser gold onto three pedestals. Each has three different ornate glass bottles resting on top. At the base are three empty crystal dish-goblets. Kwiat need only pick her poison to enjoy while she watches her life. I struggle under the bot and the terrible buzzing haunting my eyes, trying to shake the sense of deja vu that tells me every word I'm hearing has come to hurt me personally.

Which bottle is Kwiat waddling towards to pick?

Black August fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 6, 2022

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hello there Candy Cadet.

Meanwhile, ahaha :asoiaf: let's see what dark rainbow chicken knight can do.

Also, we seem to have 3 pips of tyranny, but 40% tyranny, which is not how that used to work.

Also, wait, tyranny, not anxiety? uhhhhh

Regallion fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 6, 2022

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah we've been the Tyrant since we got out of the hideout at least, no 'you' pronouns. I'm guessing the other personalities are on cooldown right now after the big fight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Winner Winner Chicken Has YOU For Dinner

Slender stained-glass decanter filled with something incongruous. - 5
Vibrating gemstone gourd filled with a dark rainbow. - 14
Orbular clear bottle filled with essential blue. - 3

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Regallion posted:

Also, we seem to have 3 pips of tyranny, but 40% tyranny, which is not how that used to work.

It's working like it always has. The [%] pip counts as its own block, so it goes [10%], then [ X ][20%] and so on.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Got 'Blessed Potion of Power']

Kwiat waddles over to the bottle she wants, which by deault is the most colorful and sparkly one. Carter claps his hands and the stage explodes, showering grand the rays of confetti-light. Kwiat doesn't even cluck at the startling sound. Her eyes are all on Carter, who speaks with stage-soft while I struggle to hear him over the creak of 500 pounds of metal jackass squatting my spine.

Carter says, "Do you see that bottle? That's Power. Why did you choose ͜͢͜ ̶̕͜͡͡ ̸͘͢͏ ̧̕ ̴̢̡͟ ̨̨̡͢͞ ̸̛͡͞҉ ́͘̕͡ ́͢ ҉̵͟ ̵̴̡̀͞ ̷̨̛ ̴͏͝ ̷̸̢̨͠ ́͝͏̷̶ ̛͟͡ ̸͡ ̸̢͟ ̡̡ ͏͝ ̴̷̢ ̵̕ ́͢͟ ̴͟ ́͘̕͜͟one, Aitvaras? I'll show you why."

Stop! That soothing radio lie! Stop speaking like that... but I have to see. I have to know why he calls her that. Why my heart is screaming every time he says that name. I flatten myself to force the weight more evenly over me as the back of the stage opens up, and reve̸̸̕͘͠a͜͢҉̛̀l҉̴̴͘s͏͏̀ ̷̡͜ ̴̡͠͝͡ ̶͢͞͞ ҉̵̵͢ ̷̢̛́ ̶͘͟͢ ̨̧ ͡ ̶̴͡͞ ̧̢̛̀ ̴̧͘͢ ̸̸̸ ̨́́ ̕͝ ̵̢̀͜҉ ̀ ̷̢͞ ̶̕ ͢͜͠҉̕ ͜͟ ̷̡҉ ̡̡̛ ̨̛ ̷̷̛͢͠ ̨ ̴̴ ̶̴̀̕͘ ̴̸̡ ̷̕͜͢ ̶̷̧̡̛ ̵͟͏͘ ̕͡ ̨̛́҉̶ ̴̴̀͟ ̨̕͠ ̷̸̸͞ ̢̨́͘͞ ̷̶͡͠ ̴̀͘͡͠ ̷̸̶̧ ̛͟͞ ̶̶̀͢͜ ̵͘͜ ̵́̀͟ ͝ ̨̢ ́̕ ̀͜ ̶̧̀̕͝ ͡ ͠҉ ́͘͏͏ ̀̕͜͏ ̷̷̵͢͡ ̀͏̵͜͞ ͟͟͠ ̵̢͟͡ ̵̶̛̕͢ ̢̧̛́͟ ҉҉ ̸͡ ̶́ ̶̢̀̕͜ ҉̡̢́͠ ̸̴͟͝͝ ̷̴̵͞͠ ̧ ̴̡̢͢͠ ̵̷̀͡ ̶̢͢͡ ̸̸͟҉҉ ̶̸͠ ̸̧͡҉̢ ̷̡͘͡͝ ̴̡͠ ̀́ ̕͜͠ ̨̛͟ ̨̧ ͘̕͟͡ ̡ ̴̢̀ ̷̷͢ ̢̢̨͜͢ ̶ ̸ ̶҉ ̛͢͡ ́͡ ̸̢̕̕ ̛͏̢ ̢͟͝ ̶̴́́ ̧͡͠͝҉ ͘̕͡ ̛̕͢͝͞ ̸̷͝ ̵͘͢͢͝ ͢͝͡ ̵̵͘͜͟ ̢̨͟

quote:

(Do you want to talk about it? I'm not going to judge you. You already know what I did. You know why that bullet was missing.)

"Aitvaras. You came from adversity."

(A curving dark glass wall. Within, light coalesces towards coherence, becomes a window to a dark forest. Eyes blink into focus. They look around at vast ruins carved of pale alien stone, displaced remnants of some awful temple of finality. Shapes move among them, legion people, bearing the forms of the new world. They're moving with that familiar old style, wrought in fear, anger, hunger.)

"You came from the needless poverty and suffering of those who do not understand VALUE."

(The forest beyond the ruins doesn't end. No way out. Food is irregular, often unclean. There are no true families or community. Just paranoid confused desperation. The eyes look all through the ruins as time and season passes. They often look into the black of the forest night.)

"You came from the shame of the new world - a world that cannot fend for itself, cannot govern itself, cannot understand the meaning of value in the chaos of Awakening."

(Fewer and fewer now. So many walk into the woods to never come back. Plenty more die as hostility ripens to murder. The eyes... they look up often, begging those who are supposed to adult and guide them. But it never happens. What happens is a hand across the cheek, a threat of something worse.)

"You came from stock that is beneath you, stock that failed to value you."

(A ray of light, one gray day in the outskirts where nobody goes. A chicken! Wandering the woods! She's so small and skinny... but the eyes shares what little food is allowed, keeping the bird safe. There's some relief now. Some small sanctuary when the day dies and the hate cools for the night.)

"You came from circumstances. From the robbery of your value. The theft of your dignity. Those who are poor in all things, those who have no shine, no sparkle, no currency of soul- they can only steal value."

(Worse and worse and worse again. Those fewer left now graduate their monstrous, seeking new highs of terror and rage. There's everything wrong with what's going on. There's nobody to stop it. The cycle perpetuates faster and hotter each turn. The eyes, always looking up at everyone else, hiding more and more, losing hope that anyone will ever be help. But the little pretty bird- she's kind. She's hanging on. One day, the eyes promise, there will be an escape.)

"Ait̴̀̕ ͘͏ ̀́ ̸̨̕͢ ͢ ̡̧̀͏̕ ̴͞͏͡͏ ̷̸̡̨͝ ̨͘ ̴͟ ͘͘͜ ̵͘ ̀͘ ̸̶҉ ͝͝ ̸̢̛̕͢ ̛҉ ͘͢͞͠ ̶̶̛̛ ̕͜ ̡̧̛ ̷̕͝ ̨͟ ̨̧̕͘ ̴̧̀͜ ̷̶̨́͞ ̴̀͠҉͝ ̷̧̨ ́͟͞ ͏̡̨ ̷̡̧̧ ̸҉͠ ̀͢ ̢̀͝ ̵̕ ̸̀ ̨̕͜͞͠ ҉̶̧ ̵̕ ̡͟͏͞ ̷̛ ̵̢͡͡ ̴̢̛҉̡ ̨̀͡ ̵̀̕͝ ̴ ҉͠ ̴̧v̨͘aras. This is why you have value. This is why you are valued. This is why you have created value in a world that has already begun wrong, and lacks the strength to find it in itself."

(They're sick. Changing. Something isn't right. They're saying the eyes look like they'd be more useful as food. They're saying maybe a warm dead little body will feel right. They're saying that the woods won't open until it's been fed everyone it wants.)

(Then, one day,)

(They find the little bird.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

"AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE VALUED FOR CHOOSING MARSHALL, CARTER, AND DARK FOR ALL YOUR PROVIDER NEEDS!"

"The benefits will continue to happen. Look at what else we have ready for you as our 100th Guest. This is our appreciation."

Kwiat clucks once in the pandemonium of light and sound in the pitch black reception, and Carter claps his hands with such a rosy-cheek rotund smile. He bows and waves his hands as the black glass screen shows endless gold curtains parting, the air thunder with the unseen stadium. The chicken flares her wings and keeps them out while listening to Carter's microphone fortune-serenade.

"I want you to bring three things with you when you leave. I want you to have them because I know you'll be back. You're #1. 100 strong. You made it through all you did so you could be rewarded like this."

The screen flashes. It shows the schedule of the store.

STORE HOURS posted:

M: CLOSED
T: 10pm-12am
W: CLOSED
T: CLOSED
F: 8pm-12am
S: CLOSED
S: 12pm-12am

"Please. Give us your valued guest feedback. How should the schedule change?"

"Take your time to think about that kind of convenience, as we expand our operations and bring you to yet another reason for why you're a #1 for choosing us. See this?"

He gestures. Products are there, a mere thought of convenience away, three supercolor spreads of incredible products. One is saturated with the shades and jades of Mana, a glittering lineage of gemdusted salad supremes, a vegetable-fruit offering with hybrids that only the most fine-distilled magics can allow. Another is familiar with the violets of fungals and freak snacks, a new experimental convenience offering with amazing psi-stimulants. The last is a brilliant golded spread of religiously-derived products, loaded with artificial blessings for the most divine flavors.

"We have so much we want to offer, but we need to take it slow. What would you like to try, and see more of in YOUR #1 store in the near future?"

"Savor the temptation these products bring. But don't hesitate to follow your heart once you make up your mind. Because I want to hand you one more ball to juggle to think this through."

One more roaring wave of applauded phantom praise. Carter raises his hand in time with three small glass black pillars. The first has a small royal blue box. The second a set of two buttons, one black one gold. The third is a candy of some sort, gemlike and glittering dark. Carter circles and steps for the finale with a conductor's patient timing, speaking with corporate faith. "Synergy. It brings value, just like products - OUR products - do. Now imagine, what would it be like if you could have genuine, totality of synergy with our products? Think of that lifestyle. Of that sort of #1 state of mind. Try one of these, 100%. We have so much more to offer in the coming years. Take a look at our synergistic opportunities."

"Would you like to wear MORE products? Become one with a product? Or maybe you'd like to have a special gift, a personal one, from your pal, in this little mystery box here."

He winks.

"Give the people what they want, #100."

TYRANNY: [1%]

Whhhhn... where are you? I was talking to you just a second ago, your feathers were making shadows on the wall, and...

Black August fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 10, 2022

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

what.

Also, yeah getting a permanent fusion with a feather can only go well, pulling literal JESUS on those lords should really put some fear of god into them.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

relic fusion sounds good
good for us, maybe good for our chicken?
...wonder what would happen if the chicken fused with our relic feather. hm

mystery bug
Oct 9, 2021
2 relic slots gives us more mechanical flexibility as we can then swap both out as needed rather than having 1 perma stuck to us, BUT fusing with the feather is probably more narratively satisfying. What do goons care more about I wonder?

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
So I think what's happening here is that we're perceiving Holy End Carter, who is referring to Kwiat as Aitvaras, since a similar event must have happened with him in the Holy End timeline.

And then the part about the bullet... I'm guessing that talk with Carter about not being valued must've resonated with our Holy End memories. I think that's a memory of Holy End us, encouraging Aitvaras to open up about his past since we seem to have some dirty laundry of our own as well regarding a missing bullet.

Which caused him to tell us about what happened to him immediately after the Fall. When he arrived at the new world, it looks like he spawned in a settlement far outside the city of Anidus, which went to hell pretty quickly since I would assume people had a lot of difficulty adjusting abruptly to that new environment.

I'm thinking the other people found his chicken and tried to eat it, which caused him to try to escape...

quote:

You occupied yourself by talking with the boy and learning all about him. He tells you that he came from a settlement that was hidden in the far woods beyond the city, an awful place where everyone struggled with violence and survival. He had made a deal with the Fae, who took advantage of the child- he only had to promise his soul, and they would give him the power to escape the malice of the village. But as the Fae loved to do, he had been tricked, and was fused with a chicken... which gave him the Coward's power to escape. Now he was on the run, avoiding the Fae who wished to collect, and doing his best to care for his last chicken.

Which also raises some interesting possibilities on what would possibly happen if we chose to fuse with the Kurczerwony.

Grond fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 11, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - WHY HAVE TRAUMA WHEN YOU HAVE HAVE PRODUCT

NEW EXTENDED HOURS FOR MORE FREQUENT SHOPPING
Change Tuesday to be open Noon to Midnight. - 3
Change Friday to be open Noon to Midnight. - 2
Open up on Saturdays, 8pm to Midnight. - 7
Be open on Sundays 24 hours. - 8

NEW PRODUCTS WITH SENSATIONAL PACKAGING
Delicious jade-green produce to enhance your MAGICS. - 1
Funky cool fruity fungal flavor sodas and gummies for your PSIONICS. - 12
Gilded ivory cured sweetmeats in fine sandwiches to empower your DIVINITY. - 9

NEW SYNERGISTIC OPPORTUNITIES FOR BETTER LIVING
Get an S-Rank shiny new Carter-Brand Relic. - 7
Fuse a Relic with yourself permanently, re-opening a slot. - 10
Open your synergies with two Relic slots. - 7

...LOADING

VOTING INCEPTION

Which Relic do you want to fuse to the character? All of the statistics and properties of the Relic will be made innate to the character (and Kwiat). Said Relic will no longer be interactable - it cannot be enhanced or changed once fused.

KURCZERWONY: When all other death-preventing methods are exhausted, you'll get ONE chance to roll a 3 to not die. Otherwise, you die.

SOLAR VEIL: Grants a permanent +2 to ST. Permanent ⅓ resistance to Holy, Light, and Fire damage. Permanent wraith-shroud with innate warming.

OILSTAINED SHIELD: Permanent +3 to Defense and a chance to Block physical attacks.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We've already deluxified the Solar Veil once and we keep it equipped 99% of the time anyway, seems like the smart choice.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm torn, on the one hand, the Shroud has basically become part of our default outfit. On the other hand, the oilstained shield let's us get its buffs while bypassing the curse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Randalor posted:

I'm torn, on the one hand, the Shroud has basically become part of our default outfit. On the other hand, the oilstained shield let's us get its buffs while bypassing the curse.
I feel like the shield would give us... effects.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I’m torn. On one hand, the Kurczerwony seems like the best for Kwiat, because our little buddy could use the extra chance at life if they’re ever in danger of dying. Like, say, from us not being able to feed them for a long time.
On the other hand, it seems like tempting fate to give them this. Just having Kwiat in a situation where they’re dependent on this is anxiety-inducing.

At first, I dismissed the solar veil as being useless for Kwiat, but then I considered: what if these buffs would get them a little survivability? A chicken with +2 ST and innate resistances and never dying to cold. Able to keep eggs warm, hunt for food a little more confidently, or maybe even go on adventures with us. Actually, what I’m describing is less survivability, and more thrivability.

Yeah, I’m gonna go with solar veil. I think the key thing is the innate warmth, which means if Kwiat lays eggs….they could potentially hatch chicks easier!

Edit: also the oilstained shield is gross and grody and ew. Let’s get, like, some degreaser for it or something.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 11, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for the veil just because I realized that it could turn our little chicken buddy into a little Phoenix (fire chicken!), and I think that's neat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
As someone trying to keep chickens warm in single degree temps, a little extra heat would be nice

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My chickens usually keep themselves warm by forming a chicken pile, but Kwiat is a lonely chicken. She needs an innate blanket!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

QUICK SIDE-VOTE CLOSED - Become As Products

Kurczerwony - 3
Solar Veil - 11
Oilstained Shield - 1

DOUBLE LOADING...

...DOUBLE LOADING

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
We really need to go back to Ulthar sometime.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OST: Your Pal Carter

"SUNDAY, ALL DAY, ALL THE WAY, AS YOU SAY. AND THAT'S WHY MARSHALL, CARTER, AND DARK IS THE NUMBER ONE PROVIDER OF THE NEW WORLD! YOUR STRESS, YOUR SICKNESS, YOUR SADNESS; IT WILL ALL BE TAKEN AWAY FOR A LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW PRICE!"

The phantom applause is religious. Screams and pleas of affirmation muffled under the thunder. This is my chance. I have to execute at the peak of my ability to escape. No mistakes. Focus... look at Kwiat and close out the sensory overload, feel the weight of the metal on me and then...

TYRANNY: [10%]

I tense my back. I feel the stone in my strength move tetonic, as I focus all my motion into flipping the robot.

(ST - Get Off Of Me) 21 [2]+[3]+[1] = 6 - Great Success.
[-2 FP]

Rock it, then heave before it can put its treads down, then roll and grab and slam the weight into the momentum, ending up on top of the detestable machine with legs sprung ready.

TYRANNY: [ X ][20%]

Look through the confetti storm, gold lamp glow, stage light brights - that little puft of red and white. I clench my fist and think through the microcosm of celestial bodies present, and fine the tiny star of chicken to drag into my gravity.

(!Darkness - Chibblin Theft) 20 [2]+[5]+[2] = 9 - Success.
[-3 HP]

Get over here! I drag not only Kwiat, but everything nestled around her- that bottle, those two weird buttons, and what looks like a huge can of soda. Every motion and blood-slown act is done as fast as possible, the chicken slamming into me with a bubble of gravity punching my stomach as I stop her without tearing her apart. Can't stop acting!

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

I leap off the robot as it flails dangerously to push up and attack. But I'm already throwing it BACK at Carter, along with an entire shitmessed wave of food, chairs, plates, confetti, all to mask my theft.

(!Darkness - Wave Of Product) 20 [5]+[5]+[4] = 14 - Success.
[-7 HP]

I hold Kwiat tight. Clench my teeth to rattling. Taste copper red. My knucklebones are trying to punch through my paper skin. I clench tighter, and think with all of tidal force's ferocity. The stage is the center of attraction- Carter, turning to send eyes and spotlight my way in search of the precious 100th- and then the shadows deepen to tangibility, exploding with gravitational hate that HEAVES half the room onto the stage in one aimless tableflip. Including the robot I was on, it can go directly into Carter's face.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

It's time. I throw open my pack, cram Kwiat and the goodies in, and then book it with all the grace I can force from my body. I have one chance to make it out of here with the ability to return when I want intact. I can't be caught.

(DX - Trick It Out Of Here) 11 [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 - Success!

I'm vaulting. Perfect-time jumps, the right glides and slides, bobs and weaves, ducks and covers. I go over and under tables, hide behind chairs, and charge up to the stairs that leave out of the reception area. I have to force my lungs into overdrive now, because security is on the ground and looking for an ID. I keep Kwiat worn on my front so I can hold her and have my gun out, and keep her face open to make the robots hesitate.

(HT - Nonstop Running) 15 [5]+[5]+[4] = 14 - Success (By One).

HP: 8 / 21
FP: 12 / 15

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

My lungs still hurt fierce from the injection royale in the red fever dream. But I force them to work overtime, and they comply. I'm out. Leap down the stairs - legs crash into the tile floor, but they don't give. I take off running while red sweeps the aisles. I open my pack in a moment of adrenaline madness and begin to SHOVEL food in as I run, trying to put in all the compact stuff that seems good for us both.

(How Many Days Of Food Did We Get?) [5]+[2]+[3] = +10 Days Of Food!

I'm moving with grace, nonstop, piling cans and bars and boxes in with a clucking Kwiat. I just need to find my way out and we're golden. I round a fractal corner to find security waiting for me, slowly turning around. I act before I think, and throw up my hands again with the clouding motion.

(PSI Clouding ɑ) 13 [6]+[4]+[4] = 14 - Failure (By One).
[-1 FP]

Wait, poo poo! It doesn't work on robots! I think? I feel my seal on my psychic intent crumble further. I can't waste time on anger over it, not with Kwiat in danger. The robot tries to piston me, but Kwiat is in the way. I have to juke it. I go for a power flip, hoping I don't tear a muscle.

(ST - FLIP IT) 21 [5]+[3]+[1] = 9 - Success.
[-3 FP]

I growl with shadow as I do the deed, throwing the security bot through a shelf. It hurts bad and breaks me out in an ugly sweat, but that's the price I pay for the speed. I keep running, charging for the front. No more thefts. Think. Think! Where do I go from here?

(IQ - Think) 10 [1]+[5]+[4] = 10 - Success.

Right, right, right! This way. I make the run without stumbling into anymore dead ends, bad averts, or searching robots. The lights sweep red consistently now, but there's no alarm sound. Just the quiet broken by my heavy breathing and the distant hum of treads. I curve and grab a pole to swing-turn into the last stretch. I see the entrance! But the bars are still there, dammit. I need to keep this speed, but I have to keep Kwiat safe, and I need enough power to break through, so...

I suck in air with a hiss. I tuck Kwiat under my arm. I sling out the filthy shield from my back, no love for its touch, but I need its size and cover. I start a train charge as hard as my legs allow - but I need three more things to really cinch this. I need the force, and the hard. To get those, I need blood. I remember, in my clarity of charge, the bubbling of my blood.

(Bubbleblood II) 13 [3]+[5]+[2] = 10 - Success (By 3).
(Bubbleheal) 2d+3 [2]+[3]+3 = +8 HP
[-2 FP]

HP: 16 / 21
FP: 6 / 15

My heart thunders on at the halfmark of my endurance and I scream down into the royal of my blood's color, awakening the parasite I bound. It cries awake and begins to beg me, and I demand it give me the absolute most of its first performance to show me I was right to not crush it to death inside of my mighty heart. I tell it to give me strength for my quickened blood. A lot.

「Bloody Parasite」
[Fed -15 HP!]
[ST increased by +15]

[ST: 36]
[No risk of corruption... this time.]

I exhale in pain, slowing for one long leaping gait, my body going pale under the shroud as I send forth the most life-rich of my vitae to my abused prisoner. It screams with druglust loathing, kicking and screaming against its restraints as it swells with power and relief. I force it to the bargain, and feel my muscles darken with a deep-red stain, growing hideously tense for just a little while as I'm given the blood's burned power back.

I'm a mass of red vein darkness, my new nightmare strength moving me faster and faster, the shield whispering with the flow of air forced past its jagged edges. I think of where the door is, instinct taking over as my body tries to heal from the horror of the sudden mass draining. Escape. Escape. Don't let them tag you.

(ST - Metalbreaking Shield Smash) 36 [1]+[1]+[4] = 6 - GREAT SUCCESS (By 30)!!!
[-3 FP]

I think of the piston that rammed into my bruised kidney. I repay the favor of the motion with a sudden mighty train-thrust grunt into the metal bars, EXPLODING past the glass and steel safely as I come flying out, knock the head off of the security bot waiting alone outside, and then hit the grass and go sledding all the way to the south soccer field fence, curled up to protect my chicken and precious cargo. I twist to shield us as we slam into the fence and spring off. I waste no time. So tired. It's getting so dark. The sky is slow to its peak anger of tomorrow, but my God is it howling mad already. I leap up and re-tie Kwiat, deciding to do the strange due of my gun and the shield as I CHARGE into the south, in order to loop back up and around to my hiding place at the school without taking the paths or the Holy Land.

HP: 1 / 21 [Danger!]
FP: 3 / 15 [Exhausted!]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

I'm feeling strong. I'm feeling mastered. I can easily overcome this and force my blood-shocked body to dizzy oh no

TYRANNY: [1%]

no no I almost fall and pass out for a spell but I can't do that I have to keep on I just wanted this to be relaxing and fun after everything I went through I just gotta

(WL - Get Back Safe!) 20(-8) [4]+[5]+[2] = 11 - Success...

TYRANNY: [10%]

stand up and keep running. Keep jogging. Feel sick carrying a lot of food and weight the wind is making my ears hurt. Someone is angry. Someone in the sky is so, so angry. I can't- I have to just clear the forests.

(HT - Hellish Endurance Running) 15(-5) [2]+[5]+[2] = 9 - Success...

See, Kwiat? See? Gonna get us...

quote:

...up the mountain, just one more city to run through, just that easy and we can be...

...home safe. My gut is going to make me answer for a lot. My muscles will have their revenge for my barbuster stunt. But I can't let any of that control my fading thoughts. Legs pumping. Shield up and out. Gun aimed ready steady to blow. Chicken clucking in time with the jangling of her cargo bag. As I soldier through the silent woods. Across the lifeless grass. Up the quiet hill. Down the long waterloved stone steps. Oh I remember the heart of seeing all this goldstone swirl under the mushroom benevolence.

Why am I thinking like this? I must be exhausted. My discipline has been shameful. But I survived and got us back safe and with my store use privileges intact. Plus, food and free goods. It wasn't bad at all. Does that feel right? To say that? That it was a terrible and frightening thing, but there was some good of it and now we're okay, so we can let go of it for today? Is that-

(![ER_INVALID]) __ [6]+[2]+[2] = 10 - yeah of course that makes sense and the mushrooms grow all over the idea

A note escapes your sore throat. It's a cool stormy darkness on the waterfall stage, where you stand with your pack undone and Kwiat cradled in your arms. How long have you been standing here, sending song out into the rain-drenched empty seats? Just a sliver of blue light left, the final of the Sun's fall sent to protect you. You... feel...

ANXIETY: [10%]

It's not going to be there for long. But you want to hold it like you are Kwiat, tears stabbing out of your shut eyes as you suck air in through your nose and hold the moment with confused relief. You duck down and get your pack, gun, and shield, racing through the storm-school halls with Kwiat in arm. Your racing thoughts drag you into the dream of the Camp Champion once more. Visions of motion and life with all the other Black Crows, always there with you in adventure. You think of them living here in the halls with you, sleepy panic yanking you by the legs, gut, and neck to the ladder leading outside. You climb it with agonizing slow; the pain of your body, the horrible squirming of the blood-bloated parasite in your heart, the weakness of your muscles, the weight of the pack, the terror of the past fall and the storm raging outside. You beg your weary arms. Please.

(ST - Climb...) 21(-10) [1]+[5]+[1] = 7 - Success.

The hatch opens.

OST: The News Spreads Further

...you spend too long staring at the sky, as light rain kisses you with an unusual heat. You feel something terrible, lonesome, sad. You refuse to cry out into the coming storm, and amble over sleepy to your hideout. You get inside and lock it with a choked gasp of relief, finally able to breathe without forcing its perfect silence. You sink down and hug Kwiat crying, kissing her comb and hyperventilating as your body forces you to experience the horror highs of everything it just did, as well as everything it has done in the last few days. You falls over shaking and hyperventilating faster, your heart beating too quickly as you trying to cry, but keep hiccuping and gagging too hard to really get out.

The fit eventually passes, and you let go of your chicken to race mad for the distractions of Product and Food. Full belly, fully chibbly belly, you sleep, all will be well. Chase that thought, while your muscles scream something is wrong (permanently) and your head goes mad with intrusive flashes of nonsense threats. The cure? Looking at the strange delicious potion, the strange delicious soda, trying one more recall of biological bubbleheals, and figuring out what the heck the strange gold and black buttons stuck to your shroud do. Then, merciful sleep.

The potion smells vile. But not in a bad way vile? But, vile like a powerful vinegar sauce. Or potent gasoline. Or a superfast dissolver. It smells like something that makes you forget your woe. You lose control in your weakened state of all minds, and smear some on your face to feel it shock and tingle alcohol-hotly. You pour some for Kwiat, and then begin to drink the rest yourself. It's VILE, a menagerie of intense flavors that do not work together save to assault you, but it satiates a need in you that soothes your horribly anxious always-stiff body. Power. POWER floods your absent blood. Kwiat gulps her share down eagerly, and you set the bottle aside with a choking swallow of satisfaction.

Alchemy posted:

Potion of Power [Blessed]
[Common]-[Uncommon]-[Rare]

Increases your highest attribute by +20%, bypassing Rank limits. Strength always gets a chance to increase as well. Relieves Anxiety for a few hours.

Your ST has increased by +20%!
19 -> 23.
You now have A+ Rank ST.

Kwiat's DX has increased by +20%!
13 -> 16.
Kwiat now has A+ Rank DX.
Kwiat's Dodge is now 11 or less.

Kwiat's ST has increased by +1!
2 -> 3
Kwiat still has F-Rank ST.

Wow. You. Don't even feel the tension now. Your muscles are actually relaxing! Kwiat is being a little joy as she drinks her 100th Guest rewards. God it's good. You eagerly tear open your pack and fish out some food. Nothing exceptional in magic here, but still, DAYS of supply! You add it to the pile of what's left of the rations by the cage.

̸̝̩̳̘̦̙̠̮̻͓̪̥̩̤̹̀̕̕ ̨̲̞͈̬͝ ̴̷̖̻͎̱̰̩̮̲͇̭̼̼͠͝ ́͠͝҉̩̣̖̫̠͙̝̣͔͉͍̯͓̳̲͍ͅ ҉̶̡̲̠̦̱͚̯̹̲͢ͅ ̧̧̫̻̱̝̟̣̯̺͟͞ͅ ̷̢̱̘̝͎̲̭͓̭̙̰͞͠ posted:

days of rations.
ADD: +10 days to days of rati̶̷͘͡o̶̶͡ ̧̛ ̶́͘ ̨҉ ̢̀͢͞͞ ̸̢

ADD: -
ADD:
ADD:

ADD: -
ADD:
ADD:
ADD: kay! Let's g

22 days of rations. Would you like to eat for the day?
21 days of rations. Kwiat is Well Fed. You are Well Fed.

tastes great, and to wash it down is going to be the soda. Just for you. It's- you think it's the same brand as the one you got before! But this is a new flavor. Says it's a Cherry/Blueberry/Lemon mix called Primary. You chug it! Again, yuck, the oil... but it passes so fast into the flavor strange swirl that tastes so good. It's a weird mix, but it works. Like a sour cherry-berry lemonade. It settles in your belly with a burp of relief, and the knowledge that you're safe in your room for whatever psyness it decides to wiggle your sleepy mind with.

mushroom (MUSHROOM) posted:

The soda has a great triple flavor, and loads of special new-development additives and formula boosts. The potency of your mushroom's psilospores has tripled! Your mushrooms have also developed the power to act as a rudimentary magic organ as well as a psionic one.

You hold Kwiat and pet her, so tired. You take one of the buttons off of the shroud, and see that it sticks to your finger. Your rub Kwiat with it as a little massager button, looking at her grow content as she fluffs her feathers and sits to roost. Of course, you don't notice that both buttons slowly melt like oil down into the skin and the shroud, creating a permanent bond of object to self, sharing that nature with the little chicken. Red's beloved gift is now simply an object that is You, summonable at any time and unable to be destroyed unless you are. Its enchantments become your biology.

Fusion! posted:

You have gained several intrinsics from absorbing the Solar Veil. These intrinsics are lost only when you are under the effects of a Divine-cancelling power.
Whether the Veil is summoned or not, you will always be warm, able to withstand dangerous weather, and will dry off quickly.
Kwiat's feathers have these properties - she will never have to worry about mundane cold, will be able to withstand some bad weather and conditions, and her feathers resist water entirely.
You now take ⅓ damage from any Fire-Element, Holy-Element, or Light-Element attack. Kwiat also takes this reduced damage from these elements, and has immunity to campfire-level low damage flames.
The power of Fire has been burned into your blood.

Your ST has increased by +2!
23 -> 25.

Kwiat's ST has increased by +2!
3 -> 5
Kwiat still has F-Rank ST.
But she's awful strong, for a chibber.

(Bubbleblood II) 13 [2]+[5]+[3] = 10 - Success (By 3).
(Bubbleheal) 2d+3 [3]+[5]+3 = +11 HP
[-2 FP]
[Used up for the day...]

ANXIETY: [1%]
HP: 16 / 25
FP: 1 / 15 [Pass-Out Risk!]
[Mushrooming]
[Powered]
[Sleepy]

It's early evening. You're hurt, and tired. But you're well feed, well draught, safe and sound, and holding an alive and fed chicken. You can sleep. God you can sleep after days and days of no real rest. You're going to let go and fall down into it now. You bring the mushrooms down down down, into a void of dream.

Black August fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 13, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tonight will see the character's sheet updated to reflect the new changes and enhancements, as well as the next update to mark the start of the second arc of the game.

As a minor vote to be closed later tonight, please select which accessory to wear now that the Solar Veil is permanently on.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
As a irl chicken owner, I would be deeply, deeply concerned if I had a chicken with that level of strength and dexterity.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

GURPS Baseline Chicken Stats
ST: 1-2
DX: 13
IQ: 4
HT: 12
WL: 4
PE: 10

HP: 2
FP: 12
Dodge: 6

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Kwiat Stats
ST: 5
DX: 16
IQ: ?
HT: 13
WL: ?
PE: 13

HP: 5
FP: 13
Dodge: 11

[⅓ Holy Dmg] [⅓ Light Dmg] [⅓ Fire Dmg]
[Warming] [Auto-Dry] [Resist Weather]
[Immune to Minor Flames]

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I chased one chicken around the entire garden recently to try to stop her eating a chunk of insulation foam. By those stats, I think a Kwiat tier chicken may have simply defeated me in hand to hand combat to protect her prize.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

...I think our little chibber might be able to go talon to tendril with a slime now, if they had to.
just a single regular run of the mill L1 cannonfodder slime or what-have-you, but still

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We'll get her up to "tiny veloceraptor" stats yet!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTE CLOSED - Equip Change

Kurczerwony - 11
Oilstained Shield - 7
Leave the Relic slot empty - 3

The sheet has been updated. The character is more comfortable wearing their own suit, and is keeping it on for now. They have equipped the Kurczerwony. They now take 1/6th damage from Light-Element attacks, 1/3rd damage from Fire-Element attacks (on top of not being able to go below -1xHP from Fire-Element damage), and 1/3rd damage from Holy-Element attacks. Their natural ST is 25, which bumps them from 4d to 5d damage. Not bad, for Level 7.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so the mushrooms "radio" can pick up magic on top of psionic chatter now? or does the fungal array detect magic different. can we test that out with some known magic items in our down time?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CoolCab posted:

so the mushrooms "radio" can pick up magic on top of psionic chatter now? or does the fungal array detect magic different. can we test that out with some known magic items in our down time?

Think of it more as a random% chance for any magic use to be aided somehow by the mushrooms, like how they can now supplement psychic powers. Fungal friend has learned how to link its magic and talk to the character's mitochondria.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[There's a lot to think over right now. Too much for one night, but it had to be started. The landscape of the onerun's future spreads out with the worst possible feeling - that ugly old thrill of Maybe This Is The One.]

[The Blue Book at least comforts the thought with its dream catalogue of hope-fors and could-you-imagines.]

[They have a dream loading. Time for a read. But about what?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Suits duh.