Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Holy poo poo that Pumpkin Jack run was just 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It was a nice run but the early 3D PS1 aesthetic is just sooo bad IMO (and I know there are people who will fight to the death over this)

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well least the game got in Megatron's Yes, although that certainly was... an ending cutscene alright.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ok the NES Advantage desk lamp is cute

TeaJay posted:

It was a nice run but the early 3D PS1 aesthetic is just sooo bad IMO (and I know there are people who will fight to the death over this)

it is maximum jank and i mean that with nothing but love and admiration

edit: getting a twitch ad for a community college in a state i do not live in seems odd

elentar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 11, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I actually just bought Astalon from Steam winter sale so I'll be skipping the run at least until I've managed to clear it myself.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm not watching it constantly, so maybe I've missed some really egregious poo poo, but the Twitch Chat is being like, super nice and supportive of each other, the hosts, and every runner. It's amazing to see from such a large chat, even if they're in sub-only mode that would only account for so much with all the random gift subs going out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DanielCross posted:

I'm not watching it constantly, so maybe I've missed some really egregious poo poo, but the Twitch Chat is being like, super nice and supportive of each other, the hosts, and every runner. It's amazing to see from such a large chat, even if they're in sub-only mode that would only account for so much with all the random gift subs going out.

The chat is a lot better than it used to be some years ago. Maybe making it sub only helped, and there might be the occasional "lol this is cringe" type of comments but it's generally a lot cleaner and more supportive than when it got a dirty rep by going unreadable whenever a trans person or a woman was on screen. That and I would guess many of the troublemakers get banned long time ago.

I usually watch with Streamlink but I turn the browser stream on when I want to see crowd reactions to a run, and often do my re-watching VODs with the twitch stream timecodes to see 'em too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its years of banning, subs only, people aging, and the community becoming a thing that can push back

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think my favorite example is the Rite run from last night. I can imagine so many situations where the runner or host get dogpiled for how much awkward energy was permeating that run, but as far as I could see the whole chat was being super supportive of the whole endeavor (#JustGoodJumps)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Think I rented this game as a kid but might be confusing it with one of the hundred or so others also reusing all the same assets.

Barudak posted:

I think its years of banning, subs only, people aging, and the community becoming a thing that can push back

really, really dedicated and lightning-fast moderation for sure

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

elentar posted:

Think I rented this game as a kid but might be confusing it with one of the hundred or so others also reusing all the same assets.

really, really dedicated and lightning-fast moderation for sure

It's veeery similar to Cybernator which always confuses me. Doesn't help that that's also another Konami published game

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

incredible, new softlock discovered

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh no he soft locked!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

"we have discovered a softlock"

aww poor omni

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP Cybernator

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
another casualty of the Metal War

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
That's a shame but also pretty funny.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

this game is a lot like Front Mission: Gun Hazard, as well IIRC

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
For some reason there was a trilogy of side scrolling mech games on the SNES

Assault Suit Valken (Cybernator) - sequel to Assault Suit Leynos on Megadrive
Front Mission Gun Hazard
Metal Warriors

All by entirely different developers but with incredibly similar spritework, art styles, weaponry, mobility, etc.

Metal Warriors is the best of them thanks to the 2 player vs mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GI0QrYnaX0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well where a mech dies an astalon rises

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
huh, this game looks neat.
barely half a year old too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My man, you keep saying roguelike when you mean metroidvania or search action or navigation platformer or whatever the gently caress were calling them this week.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Nervous finish

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Willow is always a chill run but this runner has really pleasantly leaned into it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Willow the game seems to be 99% walking in empty corridors and for some reason its not listed as a Walking Sim which is bullshit

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have a weird memory of Willow: it was one of the most rented games of my childhood, very popular for some reason in Finland (possible someone bought a surplus of them at the importer?) and very cryptic, so the local Nintendo gaming magazine was absolutely filled with questions about it. (Another similar game was Star Tropics, which was also super popular, and people kept asking about the sub code because the rental or the copy you borrowed from a friend didn't include it)

Only played Willow a bit myself but GG on Sath finishing it despite some bad RNG there.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Heck of a run. Surprised how good Willow looks for a NES game.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Everytime I see willow I have the obligation to say THANK

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Solid 5 FPS action right here, but I'd imagine it's the stream messing up

e: his webcam is pretty choppy too so might be something to do with his net connection

GG anyway! The run was so fast he could do another one after

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 11, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I've barely been able to catch any of it but it seems they've front loaded with the least exciting runs. Have I missed anything good? I saw the Ori and Kena runs which were pretty good!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
MGS2 was short and good, Metroid Prime Hunters was great because MrShasta is just a ball of positivity, I've also heard good things about Dead Space 2.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So far runs that make my recs list include at least Mega Man 2, Part time UFO and Metroid Prime: Hunters. But there's been plenty of good stuff.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Pumpkin Jack was top-tier.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vanni reads a surprise Gargoyle's Quest poem, nice

e: "Poem so good it broke the internet"

How can I put an interview segment on my recommended list?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Wow, 500k on Tuesday morning

That owns

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr. Game n' Shout living up to their nick :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh drat Spacegulls is a really gorgeous NES indie :swoon:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Spacegulls was a really nice looking homebrew yes.

Magical Doropie / Krion's Conquest is another victim of westernization of the cover art. It's a really fun ... Mega Man-esque platformer.

e: Hah, they were perfectly synced there for a moment

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, is this not a megaman romhack released 6 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AGDQ 2022 is going places.