Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does it not gain true sight after awhile? The other rooms eventually do that if you hang around too long, but I never thought about if bosses did or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The bosses do too. Only Clinkz can really abuse it (because of his skeletons), but then the bosses / minions will attack the archers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ever since the battle pass update, I often have issues with range & spawn boxes not rendering correctly, anyone else?

Can't see Tower Radius:

Can only see the absolute faintest line of my hook range in the river here, nowhere else:

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Yeahp, and it doesn't even replicate reliably.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah same, I've also heard people have had issues with missing or incorrect sounds.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Have noticed the tower range issue. I also use the "sort by roles" plus feature on drafts and that seems to not work about 10% of the time now

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Whenever Death Prophet is in a match at some point or another I'll hear the sound for her silence even though her hero is nowhere near mine or my camera, and usually someone else in the game notices and comments on it too.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Do you think this is related to that bug where effects in your fog of war persist until you finally reveal that area, and then they play?

I don't remember it doing sounds, but..

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
It's started happening in labyrinth too. lot of spell effects aren't showing the radius outline. it's especially annoying when it happens on the gel stage and you can't see the death explosion radius.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Sometimes it seems like it's drawing under the ground instead of laying on top.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I hope they spend some time after coming back from holiday break fixing these weird bugs and not just removing cheese strats from aghs lab

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wouldn't that be something :allears:

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

I always think in these situations "who is 'they'?" because I'm pretty sure the only people still working on Dota 2 is that one guy that posts on the Reddit saying he's bailing out buckets of water out of the ship as fast as he can and Tividoto who makes personas between all of the sick motorcycle jumps he tweets about

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Spamming invoker in turbos to get another mid in my stable and man ppl Are psycho

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yea speakin from experience of bein way too highstrung about this game it's way more fun once you chill out and you can still make big plays too

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

flashman posted:

Spamming invoker in turbos to get another mid in my stable and man ppl Are psycho

For some reason my boys hate turbo mode but it’s really good for trying out a new hero imho. Hate solo queue but I still do it when trying out a new guy or something. Helped me nail the OD meteor hammer combo timing. That poo poo sucks so much lmao.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Nothing funnier than people really into Turbo who understands the meta and get mad when they lose.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I realized that the main part of this game which made me high strung was my good friend and former roomie who I play a lot with. When we lived together we played most games in a party of two and lanned together, him as the core and myself as the support. These days our group has grown to 5 so I play with a couple other friends regularly, and I also play all roles more often. This has illuminated several things to me:

-my old roomie is the weakest player of the five of us
-he doesn't last hit/farm very well

One of our regular group of 5 is a couple thousand mmr higher than the rest of us so I just listen to him and ignore my old roomie's complaints.

This has allowed me to transcend to a higher plane of dota mindset.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I realized that the main part of this game which made me high strung was my good friend and former roomie who I play a lot with. When we lived together we played most games in a party of two and lanned together, him as the core and myself as the support. These days our group has grown to 5 so I play with a couple other friends regularly, and I also play all roles more often. This has illuminated several things to me:

-my old roomie is the weakest player of the five of us
-he doesn't last hit/farm very well

One of our regular group of 5 is a couple thousand mmr higher than the rest of us so I just listen to him and ignore my old roomie's complaints.

This has allowed me to transcend to a higher plane of dota mindset.

That's always so awkward when you personally know someone you play with/used to play, and they are terrible.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To be clear i am also Not Good at this game, it’s just clear that he’s worse. Now that I play ranked games with other people and some solo, our ranks have diverged a bit. He’s fallen to about Herald 5 and I’m around Guardian 4, other three friends are high Guardian, mid Crusader, and then a Legend (he was actually Archon on his previous account)

When we play as 5, of course we get weird divergent skill sets in every game. I don’t know how our Legend friend has the patience to play with us.

Realizing my buddy is bad was great for my mental state because I stopped taking his criticism and complaints so hard on myself. I’ve learned a lot by listening to our Legend friend, though I can see how exasperated he gets when the Herald consistently ignores his advice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This patch feels super stale to me at this point. Hopefully the speculation is correct and we'll get a patch in 2 weeks.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Duo queuing is the absolute worst way to play the game, even moreso than solo queuing. It's just my buddy and me left playing this game and it's so rare to get normal human beings matched with us!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Geight posted:

Duo queuing is the absolute worst way to play the game, even moreso than solo queuing. It's just my buddy and me left playing this game and it's so rare to get normal human beings matched with us!

You playing ranked by chance? I've been in unranked and it's been...rough...after almost five years away from playing regularly.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
duo queue is bad, 5 stack is worse in my experience because you have a 75% chance to match up with a team that has some synergy in mind, and a 100% chance your stack just takes comfort picks then dies repeatedly to like grimstroke/lich/kotl ulti combos forever

i need to stop duo queuing with my higher ranked buddy while cavern crawl is going on as well because he just picks cavern heroes and since he's the highest mmr on the team, we get wrecked by their best player sticking to a hero they know

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The skill ceiling on dota is high enough AND individual players have enough impact that if your response to losing is “my team failed me” then YOU are the problem. Carry harder.

I love 2 team queue with my dota friends, and I don’t mind losing. Life is a journey. Slam-pick cavern crawl and learn to carry with Lion core, gently caress the haters. There’s so much room for improvement in everyone’s game.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
It's more that I have maybe time to commit to 1-2 dota matches every few days, and I know the 5 stack I play with is not coordinated or good at drafting. At least in solo queue the enemy team is more likely to be just as bad at drafting and communicating so I'd usually rather stick with that than start at a disadvantage.

Playing duos with my friend is fun when he's sticking to heroes he's played more than once and less fun when he's trying mid, I'd just rather he does that on his own time

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

duo queue is bad, 5 stack is worse in my experience because you have a 75% chance to match up with a team that has some synergy in mind, and a 100% chance your stack just takes comfort picks then dies repeatedly to like grimstroke/lich/kotl ulti combos forever

i need to stop duo queuing with my higher ranked buddy while cavern crawl is going on as well because he just picks cavern heroes and since he's the highest mmr on the team, we get wrecked by their best player sticking to a hero they know

This is kinda how I feel. My 5 stacks we never discuss who to play before we queue and a lot of our comfort picks don't synergize well. We don't play as a full 5 super regularly and therefore don't communicate/coordinate super great. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose to crazy try hard 5 stacks. Socially it's usually a fine environment unless we're on a losing streak.

One or two of those people I'll duo queue; 1 is decent to be with on voice and I usually have a decent time even if we win or lose. The other guy though is just too prone to getting titled I think and we have like a 30% win rate together. It's not that he gets like angry but just, "Ugh what are we even doing / what is this %pubbie_hero% doing" and I just wanna be like shut the gently caress up dude just alt tab and do whatever it is you'd rather be doing while you wait to respawn. He's a good friend IRL but I kinda hate playing DOTA with him. He quit for a while but just restarted.

We also used to 3-4 man queue if we didn't have the full 5, and often had issues where it's just like, oh our/their pubbie is literally playing his 50th game of DOTA ever and it's a 1-sided stomp. Just isn't good DOTA.

I feel like unless your MMR is similar, just solo queue because your matches will be better. Be liberal with your mute button, but honestly 10000 behavior score I run into fun chill people more often than I do dickheads.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There are lots of ways to enjoy Dota but what really bothers me is when people imply there's a worst way to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not fun getting matched against a late night 5 stack who have alarmingly good synergy for Guardians. Equally I don't think playing game after game of solo queue is fun, it's stressful and asks a lot of you BUT it depends on your situation. Some people might only get to squeeze in a game or two a day and so want to just play a nice solo ranked game, my buddy does, he's got 2 kids and a hard job and if he wants to blow off steam by playing solo mid dota 2 games and grinding up to Crusader when he gets a free hour then why not.

I adore playing dota with friends, having a core group of people you know is where most of my satisfaction has came from in the past few years, I've said before to my buddy that I mentioned earlier that if I hadn't got him into Dota I'd have petered out playing by myself but through matchmaking with him I've met a good dozen people who are super chill and fun to be in a game with.

My friend does make me laugh though, he's the classic "if I could only get into Archon/Legend/Ancient" patter without really strongly acknknolweding his own mistakes - hardly uncommon for Mobas. I'm not sure what he's aiming for, speaking as someone who has been as low as 10 mmr and as high as 2500 it's never really affected by the enjoyment how "skilled" the games are. If anything, when I was Archon every single game I felt I had to play as good as I possibly could or I'd be exposed, now I'm sitting near 600 mmr and I generally enjoy myself on a wide range of heros - win or lose.

Browse this forums long enough and you'll meet plenty of folk who dabbled in dota for a bit or maybe only watch the tournaments but don't ever want to play it because its toxic or stressful or a huge time investment or they don't want to miss out on other games or basically want to play a game whats all about how exposing how much better other players can be.

There are thousands of videogames out there but Dota has the highest high and the lowest lows and once you get really into Dota, most other videogames are just ok

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 11, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i enjoy playing dota by solo queuing and flaming the h*ll out of both my team and the other team constantly (:<

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sugar free jazz posted:

i enjoy playing dota by solo queuing and flaming the h*ll out of both my team and the other team constantly (:<

The Purge "Honestly, I'm really impressed" and Dendi "MMR is just a number" voice lines are perfect for this

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i enjoy r0flc0pt3r!ng around bein l337 and slamming n00bs into the w@mbul@nc3

sippin on my lm@0n@d3

i enjoy many things, from time to time (:<

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ultimately yea all that matters is however you're having the most fun. But for me listening to anyone complain about how poorly the match is going, or just having 1-side stomps (even if we're the ones doing the stomping) ain't it :v:

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

This patch feels super stale to me at this point. Hopefully the speculation is correct and we'll get a patch in 2 weeks.

I agree I'm done with seeing bara, od and tinker every game. Hoping for a buff on slark or furion.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There are thousands of videogames out there but Dota has the highest high and the lowest lows and once you get really into Dota, most other videogames are just ok

This hits home, I've been playing dota on and off since 2015 but I recently got back into it in a big way. Over the past year I've put in about 2000 games. I've tried playing other games but every other game is just boring compared to dota. No games have the insane complexity and highs and lows of dota.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I stopped playing when they removed necrobook lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary of DOTA this month :toot: I was actually thinking of getting a tattoo for it. Sadly my bestest DOTA friend who I really liked playing with and really helped me learn the game passed away a few years ago. Some years I play less than others, there was a big lull from like '15-'18, but I always play around TI time if not all year round.

It is definitely the best RPG in my book, and it's not even close. It has everything.

Kill monsters, level up.
Buy cool items.
Complete repetitive and unrewarding quests ("Kill this tower, get 100g" :v)
It is both Single player (farming) and multiplayer (complex team fights)
Bite-sized servings like a Roguelike where a game is only 25-60 minutes, not some never ending open world RPG crammed full of POI

3400 Hours logged on Steam, most games I play for 10-100. Path of Exile is my second closest game with like 700, although that's not counting hours on the stand alone client. The possibilities and complexities are endless, and yea the highs of any other game just doesn't compare. The next closest thing in Intensity was Wilderness PVP in Runescape when I was 11 years old.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I like doing is rolling around as a pangolier ball or pressing all my buttons as puck

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure I get the complaints about duo queuing. No matter how many (<5) in your party, you run the risk of getting team mates who don't want to coordinate/communicate, that's the nature of the game. It can happen in solo queue just as easily.

At least with duo queuing, you should be able to get a well-coordinated laneing phase with your partner.

The 5-stack concerns feel familiar. When my friends and I first started running 5-stacks, it did feel like we often ran into teams with better draft synergy who'd steamroll us. But after awhile it stopped feeling that way and now our win rate is much closer to 50% as a 5-stack. We don't run specific 5-stack team comps, we just have more experience playing together.

Our 5-stacks are weird tho, since our ranks span from borderline-Herald up to Legend.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I just don't play ranked anymore full-stop and it has been great for my dota/gaming health. My last ranked match was well over 2 years ago.

I'm usually between Legend/Ancient and I mostly play with 1 or 2 other friends (one is Ancient/Divine, one is Crusader/Archon). We're all in our 30s now and have been playing way too long. We play a few nights a week after kids are put to bed, and sneak in a round or two.

Game is just more enjoyable without the stress of mmr, which none of us really has the time to grind/climb anymore. Cavern crawl has been really fun, as has Agh's Lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have plenty of time to grind MMR I just choose to play Unranked instead :shrug: That's been calibrated enough over years of play, I don't need to see the number really.