Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Klyith posted:

FF 94 introduced JS site isolation, and 95 turned on for all sites & users by default. It's a new security system that keeps javascript from different sites contained in separate processes.

I have no idea if this is what's responsible, but it's possible and I think is the major change recently that would qualify. I have twitter embeds disabled so I haven't experienced the problem or have specific suggestions to fix it.

I believe the JS isolation is turned on & off with fission.autostart in about :config if you want to try it.

Hey, thanks for this post.

I tried toggling this and it mozilla still won't embed twitter properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You can also try turning off enhanced tracking protection.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Still not working :(

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Still not working :(

Check addons then. Something blocking the twitter scripts from running is your next most likely cause.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You can also use the CSS I linked to on the previous page. You can inject it via Stylus or via a userscript (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey/Violentmonkey).

code:
[id^="twitter-widget-"] {
    visibility: visible !important;
    display: initial !important;
    min-width: 1px;
    min-height: 1px;
}
As userscript:
code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name     Fix Twitter
// @include  *
// @grant    GM_addStyle
// @run-at   document-start
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle ( `
    [id^="twitter-widget-"] {
        visibility: visible !important;
        display: initial !important;
        min-width: 1px;
        min-height: 1px;
    }
` );
The fix might get uplifted to Firefox 96 if it gets finished in time. Otherwise, Firefox 97.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Check addons then. Something blocking the twitter scripts from running is your next most likely cause.

Success!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Jesus Christ Mozilla

https://twitter.com/mozilla/status/1476951030638260225

Screenshot it case it gets deleted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Am I going to have to start watching my CPU usage to look for bitcon mining?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Explain this to me like I'm a 6 year old.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Explain this to me like I'm a 6 year old.

Crypto bros badger semi-respectable organization into accepting crypto donations by promising they'll donate so much money.

Crypto bros run off and yell at the world that this proves crypto is legit and respectable. Crypto bros don't actually donate that much money. Normal people are disgusted by crypto bros and don't donate money.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Klyith posted:

Crypto bros badger semi-respectable organization into accepting crypto donations by promising they'll donate so much money.

Crypto bros run off and yell at the world that this proves crypto is legit and respectable. Crypto bros don't actually donate that much money. Normal people are disgusted by crypto bros and don't donate money.

In this case it's also plausible that the team behind Mozilla are just cryptobros and no one was promised any money. So they sold out for less than a promise.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inceltown posted:

In this case it's also plausible that the team behind Mozilla are just cryptobros and no one was promised any money. So they sold out for less than a promise.

Undoubtedly some of them are, because it's tech and crypto is a mousetrap for tech nerds. But mozilla isn't really even taking the crypto, they're just signed up on bitpay (a crypto payment processor), so I don't think mozilla touches the poop themselves. Some bro donates $100 worth of bitcoin, mozilla gets $90 real money and bitpay keeps the rest.

I dunno. I immensely dislike buttcoin bullshit, but I can't really care much about some org accepting them in donations. Wikipedia does too, whatever. I don't think it really moves the needle at all for legitimizing crypto in popular consciousness -- look at all the replies to that tweet. And it's not like they're putting that poo poo into the browser like Brave. My feelings can be summed up as :rolleyes:

I wouldn't donate to mozilla anyways, they don't actually use donations to the foundation for firefox development. (If that changed in the future I'd reconsider, but for now mozilla seems to prefer google's 100s of millions.)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Didn't Mozilla already try accepting crypto donations at one point and stopped doing so because they found that they got less donations overall?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

chestnut santabag posted:

Didn't Mozilla already try accepting crypto donations at one point and stopped doing so because they found that they got less donations overall?

2022 is the year of Linux desktopBitcoin though.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

chestnut santabag posted:

It doesn't matter. Donations to Mozilla have nothing to do with Firefox.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Wheany posted:

Jesus Christ Mozilla

https://twitter.com/mozilla/status/1476951030638260225

Screenshot it case it gets deleted:

Mozilla Founder Slams Mozilla for Adopting Cryptocurrency Payments

Lol, cat fight!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Wow, it actually worked.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/6/22870787/mozilla-pauses-crypto-donations-backlash-jwz

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So today, my Firefox can't connect to certain sites, citing a PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR. Which must be purely a Firefox problem because the same sites (in this case just Google, Gmail, or Facebook) open in Vivaldi. I'm googling this error but I'm still not really sure what are the steps to fix this or reset this somehow? Could this be a plugin thing that I accidentally updated the settings or anything? Or maybe something in the about:config?

Strangely, even though I can't access Google or Gmail, YouTube works fine. As does Something Awful, Steam...it's really a seemingly random selection of sites.

More info: It goes away after an unspecified amount of time, and then I can access all sites fine. But if I shut down/restart the computer, the problem kicks in again. Not sure if that helps diagnose the problem.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 11, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Artelier posted:

So today, my Firefox can't connect to certain sites, citing a PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR. Which must be purely a Firefox problem because the same sites (in this case just Google, Gmail, or Facebook) open in Vivaldi. I'm googling this error but I'm still not really sure what are the steps to fix this or reset this somehow? Could this be a plugin thing that I accidentally updated the settings or anything? Or maybe something in the about :config?

Strangely, even though I can't access Google or Gmail, YouTube works fine. As does Something Awful, Steam...it's really a seemingly random selection of sites.

More info: It goes away after an unspecified amount of time, and then I can access all sites fine. But if I shut down/restart the computer, the problem kicks in again. Not sure if that helps diagnose the problem.

Checked your system time and if your motherboard is loving with it?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

endlessmonotony posted:

Checked your system time and if your motherboard is loving with it?

I checked my system time, accurate as of half an hour ago. Then I booted into Windows and Firefox worked with all sites again. Yeay!

But now it's giving me the PR CONNECT RESET ERROR again. So this time it's the opposite, where it starts out fine then becomes not fine.

Is...is something wrong with my PC. :(

EDIT: About 3 minutes later and it's fine again.

I've noticed that if a site hangs, the status bar says that it's performing a TLS handshake until it times out. Not sure what TLS is but maybe there's a setting I can interact with?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Artelier posted:

I checked my system time, accurate as of half an hour ago. Then I booted into Windows and Firefox worked with all sites again. Yeay!

But now it's giving me the PR CONNECT RESET ERROR again. So this time it's the opposite, where it starts out fine then becomes not fine.

I've noticed that if a site hangs, the status bar says that it's performing a TLS handshake until it times out. Not sure what TLS is but maybe there's a setting I can interact with?

Time does not work that way. It can change at any point, and indeed, a problem returning on boot would hint at the time being reset (due to a motherboard issue) and then correcting once you're connected to the internet. It's one possibility.

This, however, sounds like DNS. Tried manually changing your DNS? Also check your network hardware. For incorrect or inconsistent time settings too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'd first suggest checking for a misbehaving browser extension or a lovely third-party antivirus.

e: removed redundant part

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Artelier posted:

try setting security.tls.version.max to 3 to limit it to TLS 1.2/disable TLS 1.3 (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security.tls.version.%2A#3_2) or set network.http.http3.enabled and network.http.spdy.enabled to off in about :config to see if it makes a difference

TLS 1.3 should be stable now, but if the problem is happening during TLS negotiation that's the first thing I'd check. The HTTP versions are also worth trying since the newer protocols are stricter than HTTP/1.1 was and consider most anything outside the spec a fatal error, though some implementations are stricter than others. The Firefox implementation (and, for that matter, most implementations) are crap at reporting the actual violation, and can even misreport an HTTP violation as a TLS violation--that's literally what happened to me, when some site was incorrectly sending a Host header in its response.

Usually those issues should indicate an issue on the server's end though, so Google and Facebook seem unlikely to be broken, unless you're behind a lovely middleware proxy (some 3rd-party AV does install these).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It also kind of sounds like the revocation server for a registrar is misbehaving. I think firefox handles that differently than the Chromium family, and it would explain how it affects a seemingly random but consistent selection of sites?

On the other hand, gmail and youtube are both signed by Google Trust Services (same root and intermediate certificate, even), so if they behave differently it's probably not that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I tried about:config suggestions, didn't work. Changed DNS, didn't work. Troubleshoot mode Firefox, didn't work. Refresh Firefox, didn't work. Completely uninstall Firefox, reinstall, works! Restart the computer, tried it with no add-ons, works. Installed my usual add-ons, restart the computer again, works. Restarted again just to be sure, works, and that's where I'm at now.

So I guess the answer is, it is a mystery? :shrug: I hope this doesn't pop up again

Thank you everyone for helping! I appreciate all the steps and explanations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
In Firefox 96 does reopen closed tab work correctly? For me in stead of opening the last closed one it opens a random closed one.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Firefox has just, mid-session, stopped resolving websites when other browsers and web applications had been and continue to work fine. This is pretty weird. Doesn't seem to be any addons fault, either - disabling them all got the same result.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 13, 2022

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bewilderment posted:

My Firefox has just, mid-session, stopped resolving websites when other browsers and web applications had. This is pretty weird. Doesn't seem to be any addons fault, either - disabling them all got the same result.

What happens if you set Firefox to use a different DNS over HTTPS provider?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

bewilderment posted:

My Firefox has just, mid-session, stopped resolving websites when other browsers and web applications had. This is pretty weird. Doesn't seem to be any addons fault, either - disabling them all got the same result.

Having the exact same issue today, woke up 30 mins ago and it's now constantly loading forever. Chrome and non-browser internet connections still work fine.

If I close FF, I get a crash, but it works again when I start it back up. For like 5 - 10 minutes, then suddenly all the tabs are loading forever again.

E: In a voice call with a friend and they got the exact same issue, only started within the past hour (they used it fine earlier this morning apparently).

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Same problem. 15% CPU usage and websites just stopped loading. Disabling 'network.http.http3.enabled' in about :config worked

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/s2utvv/psa_solution_for_firefox_not_working_right_now/

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 13, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

And just as soon as the problem started, it suddenly disappeared. I fiddled with a few settings but nothing that made a difference when it started working.

I did manage to troubleshoot that it's something with failing to resolve DNSes - entering raw IPs in the address bar worked, for a given value of 'worked' since anything that didn't refer to an IP address failed, including most certificates.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just came here to see if anyone else had the exact same thing happen. Are you on Linux? 45 minutes of troubleshooting later I did a system update, I only had one update needing to be applied, some gnome-desktop3 update, and installing that and rebooting fixed it. I'm thinking Firefox had some date issue happen today related to something in that library since I think it happened right at midnight? I don't even use Gnome as my desktop.

It was really bizarre, starting Firefox with a blank profile worked but my existing profile wouldn't no matter what I tried. I couldn't even connect to local IP addresses so it wasn't a DNS thing, and when I closed out Firefox the GeckoMain thread would hang and need to be task-killed.

Edit: Oh, should have previewed before replying. I guess the Gnome desktop thing was just a coincidence.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm having the same issue too. Windows 10, Firefox 95.
The problem goes away if I use a fresh Firefox profile, but when I tried copying some of my data from the original profile to the new/test profile, it occurred again. Currently trying to figure out what file exactly causes it.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I’ve just encountered this same issue on windows 10 - a few windows updates and a reboot and it was back to working. Another system on macOS has this issue, have recommended using safari over Firefox for the time being.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just fired up my laptop and it's still having the same issue, but my desktop is working again so I guess it's not fixed universally. There's going to be a real interesting incident report tomorrow.

Edit to give more weird details: When this first started happening on my desktop I booted up my laptop and Firefox was working there so I started troubleshooting on my desktop, including trying copying over my laptop's profile without success. And now my laptop's not working, so it really seems like Firefox is phoning home and getting bad data that's making it hang until it gets the next refresh of whatever it's calling.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 13, 2022

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Same issue here on Windows 10. I notice that Firefox's CPU usages rockets to over 10 percent on my 5800x and stays there until I shut the browser down.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dammit Mozilla.

Edit: Aaaaand my desktop died again until I did this.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Same problem. 15% CPU usage and websites just stopped loading. Disabling 'network.http.http3.enabled' in about :config worked

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/s2utvv/psa_solution_for_firefox_not_working_right_now/

Just to spell it out in the thread, setting network.http.http3.enabled to false in about :config and restarting, also fixed it for me. A comment in that Reddit thread suggests that turning off all telemetry also works. Wild that that can block the entire browser's connection pool.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, the profile I had created worked at first. Then I exited, tried my original profile for changing the http3 setting one suggested in the Reddit thread, but it didn't help anything. Then went back to the test profile, with no changes, and now that one's also dead.

When I exit a Firefox that has the issue, it lingers for a minute still spending CPU time, and eventually produces a crash report.

Edit: Disabling the Telemetry settings fixed it immediately, didn't even need to restart the browser before things started loading again.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm guessing their telemetry servers are configured to only use HTTP3 and that's why disabling network.http.http3.enabled also fixes the issue.