Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Crimson Vow has clearly been out too long this thread needs new spoilers to get it back on track

There's some kind of stream today at noon EST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't think it's a lot to ask to scroll by some posts you don't like

wait I dont have to read every single post in the thread? whaaaat?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

PleasantDirge posted:

Is ash barrens expensive again already?

it's ten cents, I think they mean something else

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Football sucks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kashuno posted:

Crimson Vow has clearly been out too long this thread needs new spoilers to get it back on track

Not until the 27th.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Why does flipping (mega)morphs not use the stack? I get that it's a big blowout when you pay to flip a morph and don't get the triggered ability from cards like Den Protector but you could say the same about getting blown out when you pay for mechanics like Level Up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Grifter posted:

Why does flipping (mega)morphs not use the stack? I get that it's a big blowout when you pay to flip a morph and don't get the triggered ability from cards like Den Protector but you could say the same about getting blown out when you pay for mechanics like Level Up.

Because then you could have paid the wrong amount and the boardstate would have changed in between.
Imagine if I just tap 3 and put it on the stack, you respond, I respond, we doo a whole lot of responding, and finally it turns out the creature cost 4 to turn face up. I paid the wrong cost, but there was no way to catch it until it's turned face up. So the answer is to keep everyone honest.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Grifter posted:

Paying a morph cost to morph something doesn’t have a “[cost] : [effect]” which means it’s not an activated ability; it’s a special action.

Why did they not make it an activated ability?To stop weird interactions of messing up the cost and responding to it and ruining the board state. But it’s a special action and that’s just how it is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PleasantDirge posted:

Is ash barrens expensive again already? I second this but please add ashes to ashes and more REB/BEB type cards as well.

Nah, but it's a pauper staple and should be reprinted into oblivion

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Grifter posted:

Morph creatures would be real, real bad if every single one of them could die to two damage no matter what.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kashuno posted:

It hasn't been out long enough tbh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

flatluigi posted:

i didn't see it in amidst all the football chat but they're making a pauper panel so that bans don't take loving forever anymore

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-pauper-format-panel-2022-01-10

They need to do this for Legacy and Modern.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

I'm not american and don't follow any of their silly american sports but I still found the discussion interesting, and I don't think it outstayed its welcome.

Except the bit where a couple of posters were just talking about it without actually saying what happened, as though they assumed everyone else in the thread had also been watching it live and already knew exactly what went down. That felt pretty americentric and needlessly exclusive on their part.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's less, "europeans" and more like "anyone in the world outside USA".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

YggdrasilTM posted:

Right but Europeans are the only ones we ignorant colonials will even pay lip service to caring about.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

much too lazy to type all that out

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

They need to do this for Legacy and Modern.

And they can start by banning the companions. The experiment was fun while it lasted, but it's time for our friends to go.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Morph creatures would be real, real bad if every single one of them could die to two damage no matter what.

Morph is a real bad mechanic, full stop.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Crackbone posted:

Extremely wrong friendo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Triple Khans is held up as one of the best draft formats ever made almost solely because of morph. Terrible opinion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Next thing you are going to tell me is that split second was not a good mechanic!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Triple Khans is held up as one of the best draft formats ever made almost solely because of morph. Terrible opinion.

By morph, do you mean "good mana in a three colour set, with fun build arounds"?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

By morph, do you mean "good mana in a three colour set, with fun build arounds"?

No, I mean by the mechanic Morph they built most of the limited environment around, which ups the ability to interact with the board, and adds skill to the game because you have to make decisions based around morph creatures and any bluffs your opponent might be using with them.

Also I said “almost solely.”

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

No, I mean by the mechanic Morph they built most of the limited environment around, which ups the ability to interact with the board, and adds skill to the game because you have to make decisions based around morph creatures and any bluffs your opponent might be using with them.

Also I said “almost solely.”

I ask, because multiple other sets had morph, and yet I don't see people ever talking about Onslaught limited as being that good, and few people talking about Time Spiral limited being that good, and almost nobody talking about how Dragons of Tarkir or even Fate Reforged limited being enjoyable.

My personal experiences with all of those sets follows general trends, though I'm a little higher on TSP block since I wasn't overwhelmed by all the mechanics (but I can understand that I'm a minority in that opinion)

Which would make it seem like, perhaps, Morph wasn't the load bearing mechanic that made Khans limited a good format.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I wasn’t playing when Khans was out but I’ve heard multiple people say triple khans is one of the best limited formats of all time, and until this moment I had never heard morph was even in the set

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

And they can start by banning the companions. The experiment was fun while it lasted, but it's time for our friends to go.

Nah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I don't think the others are anywhere close to problematic but Lurrus needs to be banned in modern.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the others are anywhere close to problematic but Lurrus needs to be banned in modern.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've started playing MODO and last night I got matched up against a streamer I recognized for the first time (FluffyWolf2). I got my poo poo pushed in but he was really nice about it lol

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What exactly would obtain a Lurrus ban in Modern?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

printing black lotus II into modern

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Bauble should go before Lurrus imo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The issue with companions is less that they are too powerful, the issue is if we are ok with having deckbuilding permanently warped around 3-4 cards for the rest of Magic’s history.

My money is that eventually they will give them the axe just to increase deck diversity.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

The incentive to not play 3 mana permanents so you can play the best card in modern in your deck is very bad for gameplay and format diversity and the number of things that are actually viable in a way that other companion criteria isn't.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

The incentive to not play 3 mana permanents so you can play the best card in modern in your deck is very bad for gameplay and format diversity and the number of things that are actually viable in a way that other companion criteria isn't.

I do find it funny that the best card in modern is 7 bucks right now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

The issue with companions is less that they are too powerful, the issue is if we are ok with having deckbuilding permanently warped around 3-4 cards for the rest of Magic’s history.

My money is that eventually they will give them the axe just to increase deck diversity.

It's this; How is this hard to see as problematic. I have a hard time getting excited about most cards that are being released because they either cost more than two mana or don't have an ETB.
I also kind of just hate the auto 8th card in hand as a game mechanic to begin with, and I say this as someone that has built every Lurrus shell in Modern.

It's already starting to get stale, and it's only going to get worse.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Let's say we ban Lurrus. What 3 mana permanents that are currently not played due to lurrus would be played?

I'm honestly curious.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

YggdrasilTM posted:

Let's say we ban Lurrus. What 3 mana permanents that are currently not played due to lurrus would be played?

LotV is probably the one that gets pushed out Bx midrange decks due to Lurrus.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

jassi007 posted:

LotV is probably the one that gets pushed out Bx midrange decks due to Lurrus.

Yeah, but without lurrus, why are you even playing a Bx midrange deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't think it's a lot to ask to scroll by some posts you don't like