Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oh I have plenty of pressure cookers that I'd like to upgrade to, mainly this fellow but I am specifically looking for a pressure canner that can be used as a cooker. I recall someone previously mentioning in either this thread or the canning one that the All American ones are suitable but I've not seen any in the UK, which is why I ask. Maybe folks are still frosty about independence, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it's that our grandmas just put wax on the top of the jam and/or boiled the jars till the lids went pop and pickled everything. "just scrape the mould off it petal" so canners were never really a thing here.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I was surprised when I studied abroad that in Sweden, my host family (who were Polish, but that's a different story) just kept jam after opening in the cupboard. Madness! Somehow it worked. I know people who would throw out jam left out a day... But there it was regularly used, but weeks.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The vast amount of sugar in jam prevents the bad stuff from growing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

droll posted:

The vast amount of sugar in jam prevents the bad stuff from growing.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but doesn't the bad stuff eat sugar?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Poldarn posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but doesn't the bad stuff eat sugar?

Small amounts yeah, but iirc sugar is hygroscopic, so it draws water out of nearby substances, which kills bacterial and stuff.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

Small amounts yeah, but iirc sugar is hygroscopic, so it draws water out of nearby substances, which kills bacterial and stuff.

That's neat, I had no idea.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Poldarn posted:

That's neat, I had no idea.

This can be used to advantage like taking a bunch of strawberries, put em in a jar, cover with sugar and wait till it all turns to liquid which you decant off and repeat till the strawberries are shrivelled white things. Add a bunch of vodka to the liquid and then drink.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NPR Journalizard posted:

This can be used to advantage like taking a bunch of strawberries, put em in a jar, cover with sugar and wait till it all turns to liquid which you decant off and repeat till the strawberries are shrivelled white things. Add a bunch of vodka to the liquid and then drink.

Or give up and eat the sweetened, softened, strawberries after the first pass. Because macerated strawberries with their juice taste amazing.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Or give up and drink the vodka before the first pass.

I agree.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have been looking around trying to find a recipe for my instant pot but so far I have failed so I figured I would ask here.

I'm a big fan of the steamed dumplings you can get from a Chinese restaurant and would love to make them at home, but hell if I can find a recipe for them. I've tried making Bao, and while good, it wasn't the same thing.

The type that I am talking about are the ones that are round like a bao bun rather than crescent shaped like a pot sticker.

Does anyone know of a recipe for these?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The real trick with a instant pot is to get the right accessories. You want this set which is generic chinese and sold under loads of names https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W98BSKL

use the egg thing with the basket on top and it's the exact right height for everything, especially steaming (with the vent open)

idk if chicken and Rice: Fresh and Easy Southeast Asian Recipes From a London Kitchen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AU5V8MI/ has what you need but I've found it works well with the instant pot.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

jadebullet posted:

So I have been looking around trying to find a recipe for my instant pot but so far I have failed so I figured I would ask here.

I'm a big fan of the steamed dumplings you can get from a Chinese restaurant and would love to make them at home, but hell if I can find a recipe for them. I've tried making Bao, and while good, it wasn't the same thing.

The type that I am talking about are the ones that are round like a bao bun rather than crescent shaped like a pot sticker.

Does anyone know of a recipe for these?

I think your jumping off point should be learning the names of what you want to make.

Siu mai, har gow, xiao long bao?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
also you dont need an instant pot to steam anything, just use a normal chinese bamboo steam basket on a wok or any pot that it fits on top of

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

droll posted:

I think your jumping off point should be learning the names of what you want to make.

Siu mai, har gow, xiao long bao?

I finally found the name. Jiaoxi

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've only seen jiaozi as the crescent ones

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

BraveUlysses posted:

also you dont need an instant pot to steam anything, just use a normal chinese bamboo steam basket on a wok or any pot that it fits on top of

yeh but the whole point is that this is the pressure cooker thread and the instant pot is included in that :lol:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
you can wrap the dumpling up any shape you like if you’re making them yourself, so if you just want “a dumpling” a pork or shrimp jiaozi recipe should do fine

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i got a new pressure cooker for xmas

:getin:

santa brought it a day early so i could fill it w/ collards and it did a good job

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've had my Instant Pot for a few days and I've made chicken twice. Both times I had to do the chicken in multiple layers to accommodate all the pieces, and both times the pieces on the top layer were undercooked when I checked them with a thermometer immediately after releasing the pressure. I realize the heating element is on the bottom, but I was surprised to find a 40F difference within the same pot. Should I just limit everything to one layer, or am I doing something wrong? Quick releasing too early? There are a lot of variables with IP cooking that I'm not used to.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm really confused, if I'm reading this right, I think you are layering when you don't need to layer. What I do is use https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W98BSKL with the liquid* underneath the chicken. If it's a whole chicken, I have the much lower instant pot silicone insert to keep it off the bottom and then have the liquid/veg around the chicken.

*If you are making butter chicken you have your sauce underneath, take out the chicken and then use a stick blender to make it smooth, then add butter and the chicken back in.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well for example, I made Kenji's chile verde, with a bed of vegetables on the bottom, a layer of chicken thighs on top of that, and then a few extra thighs stacked on top of that layer. After 15 minutes at high pressure, the chicken in the middle was ~185F, but the top layer was reading ~145.

I probably should have just stirred everything up before putting the lid on, but I'm used to slow cookers where you're generally advised to have a "protective" layer of vegetables below the meat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh that's not enough time, the key is the more mass/density there is the longer you need. For example, if you have a baking potato, slice it and spread it out then you are looking at 7 mins on low, leave it for 15 mins and then quick release. If you were to cut it into quarters, then it would be 14 mins on low.

For what you did I would do at least 30 mins on high and then let it naturally release.

Personally I prefer raising the chicken off the bottom to prevent it sticking and then having the veg round it.

e: oddly enough electric pressure cookers can't get the same high level of pressure as your old style pressure cookers so you do have to adust older recipes to add more time

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 28, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
ok so I was one of the first people to buy an air fryer max and then used it alongside instant pot pressure cookers twice a day until my grandma bought me this for Christmas. It turned up today and trust me when I tell you "holy poo poo this is the future"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C873WR9?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1 (smaller, cheaper models are available)

The slider thing has pressure cooker, steam and air fryer on the same lid and the lid is hinged. I was ??? on how that would work but they built the air fryer element sturdy enough to take the pressure.

It uses the air fryer element alongside the bottom pressure cooker element to get up to pressure faster, it also has an automatic quick pressure release that will scare the poo poo out of you but it beeps fair warning first. The other big thing is that it can use all the air fryer extra vents to release pressure if it needs to so they reworked the tiny valve into basically a pressure up indicator.

It feels like a huge leap forward on the instant pot even without the air fryer element, but it's also the first self cleaning air fryer which is huge because you look at what's built up under your air fryer elements once and only once.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is this a good stovetop pressure cooker to get?

Or is this better?

I've got a Tefal one which I think is 5 litres and I want something larger. There are 'commercial' ones for less money, but they appear to be generic Chinese brands and I don't want to take risks with something that could explode.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love my 12Qt Kuhn Rikon stovetop pressure cooker. It is especially awesome for all the things that make my instant pot give the dreaded BURN warning.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

How is the pressure regulator? I've only used my current one where you turn a dial to low or high then turn down the hob. Do you have to adjust the heat to attain the pressure you want with the Kuhn Rikon?

Does it seem like it will last forever? If I'm going to spend £200 on a pan of like easy access to replacement gaskets and components that feel solid.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NPR Journalizard posted:

This is also why using honey to cover wounds was a treatment back in the day as well. The high sugar content in the honey kept microbes without the ability to regulate their environment from being able to colonize the injury.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How is the pressure regulator? I've only used my current one where you turn a dial to low or high then turn down the hob. Do you have to adjust the heat to attain the pressure you want with the Kuhn Rikon?

Does it seem like it will last forever? If I'm going to spend £200 on a pan of like easy access to replacement gaskets and components that feel solid.

You regulate the pressure by the hob only. There are two lines on the valve to show is you are at low or high pressure. No regulation at all on the pot.

It feels like it will outlast at least me if not my kids, really well built. Worth it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

learnincurve posted:

ok so I was one of the first people to buy an air fryer max and then used it alongside instant pot pressure cookers twice a day until my grandma bought me this for Christmas. It turned up today and trust me when I tell you "holy poo poo this is the future"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C873WR9?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1 (smaller, cheaper models are available)

The slider thing has pressure cooker, steam and air fryer on the same lid and the lid is hinged. I was ??? on how that would work but they built the air fryer element sturdy enough to take the pressure.

It uses the air fryer element alongside the bottom pressure cooker element to get up to pressure faster, it also has an automatic quick pressure release that will scare the poo poo out of you but it beeps fair warning first. The other big thing is that it can use all the air fryer extra vents to release pressure if it needs to so they reworked the tiny valve into basically a pressure up indicator.

It feels like a huge leap forward on the instant pot even without the air fryer element, but it's also the first self cleaning air fryer which is huge because you look at what's built up under your air fryer elements once and only once.

is the lid hard to clean with those coils on it? looks like a pain

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Booyah- posted:

is the lid hard to clean with those coils on it? looks like a pain

oh air fryer lids are an absolute 100% ball ache I'll never be the one to gloss over that one. People who know what they are doing say they are simple enough to disassemble and clean under though, but I don't have that knowledge and every time I managed to screwdriver scrape a layer of built up crud off of my old one (ceramic layer under the coils) it was "extended it!!! by other 6 months!!!" to my teenagers to absolutely no enthusiasm whatsoever.

What you do to clean this is put washing detergent in water and hit the pressure cycle for 5 mins, it's not going to be perfect but compared to the extremely low bar of regular air fryers it's a huge improvement.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I would not give up the ability to toss the lid of my Instant Pot into the dishwasher for an air fryer function.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got this one, loving hell it's a bit of a big beast. In my previous 6L Tefal stovetop cooker I could just about fit two chicken carcasses in but I've just done four with room for at least two more. It does take some getting used to, balancing the hob so it stays at the right pressure, but it's a lot more efficient than my last one too - taking less gas to stay at high pressure, despite twice the volume.

Now my only problem is reducing so much stock will take much longer.

Edit: And now I'm left with what can only really be described as nearly a litre of hot chicken syrup. Worth it.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 11, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats the advantage of stovetop over electric?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That question got me thinking - I can only justify why I wanted stovetop.
  • It's bigger - this is 12L and the biggest IP I saw was 8L
  • It's smaller to store for the same internal volume
  • It's just a pan - I can use it for anything
  • Just changing the gasket this ought to last forever
  • I get the most control over heat for searing, sauteing, etc.
Can one do all the pressure release methods with the electric ones? Like letting it cool naturally, releasing via the valve, or running cold water over it? I use the latter method when making more delicate things.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

barkbell posted:

whats the advantage of stovetop over electric?

Stovetop can be larger and are capable of going to a higher pressure level than electric, which means they can cook quicker

The downside is safety - electric is idiot proof.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Can one do all the pressure release methods with the electric ones? Like letting it cool naturally, releasing via the valve, or running cold water over it? I use the latter method when making more delicate things.

yes to the first two, with the last one you can get these cold pad things that go on the top of the lid which allows for a faster natural release. Some of them, mine included, have a automatic pressure release which will make you jump out of your bones.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I primarily use my IP these days but still have a Fagor Duo set that I break out occasionally. Aside from higher pressure, it also gets to pressure more quickly, is larger, and I can run water over the top of it to drop pressure before I do a quick release. Using the smaller pot that came with the set, I can make risotto in 20 minutes (which includes 6 minutes at pressure) with very little babysitting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i do honestly miss the running water method, it's much nicer than having steam venting for 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I only discovered at Thanksgiving that putting a towel over the steam vent in my IP is not only a good idea, it's basically a requirement for using it.