Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ikanreed posted:

You joke, but

i have never and will never tell a joke. trains trains traints trians tinras trrains tiarn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

that means they need more surplus military equipment

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

who will stand up to this murderous COVID-19 gang?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm "firearm related" intentionally not being split out between "getting shot by criminal" and "getting shot by self / other cop"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Palladium posted:

that means they need more surplus military equipment

clearly they need to be patrolling in nbc rated vehicles because that's a lot of losses to gas attack

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I loved the subway and streetcars in the year I lived in Toronto.

Helsinski has a pitiful metro but when you get the right combination of starting point and destination, it's amazingly convenient.

Stockholm has a tunnel banana so it's better.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

The Bloop posted:

I'm in no way defending musk or the death tube but the point isn't a train, it's a speed lane for your individual car, which you still want on the other side

The fact that they've got cabs doing it now in that tube is just a partial failure state of the idea but the point is not the same as the point of trains

Wait what

It's supposed to be a people mover for getting people from end to end of the convention center (less than a mile in each direction), it doesn't exactly connect to regular vegas traffic or anything

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1318795706128240640

Musk's dumb rear end originally pitched selling their convention center a fleet of cars for it with the promise that they would be put on/built into "skates" specially designed for tracks in the tunnels, you know, like a tracked people mover like at disney's tomorrowland but also you get to sell teslas to make this light rail kinda "train"

He doesn't like trains because he wants to sell cars, which is why all the greenwashing with tesla is so so funny/depressing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I loved the subway and streetcars in the year I lived in Toronto.

Well those days are over now that Metro Toronto amalgamated - the suburbs will keep voting in their mayors to get rid of bike lanes downtown and halt TTC expansion.

I remember an interview with a Ford voter where he said his main concern was making it easier to drive and park downtown lol.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

I'm "firearm related" intentionally not being split out between "getting shot by criminal" and "getting shot by self / other cop"

I was about to say.

Also I thought guns don't kill people? But they kill cops apparently?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Wait what

It's supposed to be a people mover for getting people from end to end of the convention center (less than a mile in each direction), it doesn't exactly connect to regular vegas traffic or anything

Musk's dumb rear end originally pitched selling their convention center a fleet of cars for it with the promise that they would be put on/built into "skates" specially designed for tracks in the tunnels, you know, like a tracked people mover like at disney's tomorrowland but also you get to sell teslas to make this light rail kinda "train"

He doesn't like trains because he wants to sell cars, which is why all the greenwashing with tesla is so so funny/depressing

Jokes on him. Trains are made of cars.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Wait what

Yes, the Vegas one is just that, but it's supposed to be a proof of concept for numerous larger tunnels elsewhere. That's just the only project he could get funded/approved.

Yes, you're absolutely right about that one it's very dumb in every way (and so would be the other ones that will never be built)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I kinda want them to try to build the Miami one just so Musk can "discover" the difference between the Southern California / Nevada desert and literally anywhere else with a water table the same way he "discovered" that you can't make cars entirely with robots that move so fast you can't see them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Supposedly Musk's company would pay for construction too but I'm sure they'd find a way to make it so actually taxpayers have to pay for it somehow plus the billion dollar retrofit when it floods 5 seconds after the digger is first switched on

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's funny watching Americans being mystified as they observe actual good public transport from the rest of the world. Why is it so poo poo in America?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/rdwrt/status/1480709063495364608

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It's funny watching Americans being mystified as they observe actual good public transport from the rest of the world. Why is it so poo poo in America?

America's real fuckin' spread out compared to a lot of Europe, so the infrastructure's gonna need to deal with that. In the 40's and 50's we had to address this in a big way and were faced with either "more and better trains" or "hey that Hitler guy had some good ideas what with the Autobahn" and chose the second one for military reasons.

Then 40 years after that in like the 80's when it started to really become apparent that this was a turbo-bad idea, the reason we couldn't do anything else became "if we fund public transit then those people would use it" which tied in real nicely to all the other white panic Reagan loved to lean on. You either lived in the suburbs and commuted to work in your car or you were a poor, probably ethnic person who couldn't afford a car and was probably up to no good.

Now we're 40 years after that and this poo poo is just so loving baked in to everything that it'd require trillions of dollars and a massive shift in the way nearly everyone lives, and if you can't tell we're not exactly great at addressing big problems or change. If I own a car and drive to work every day why would I want to fund anything other than more and better roads for other people to use?? Obviously I'm just going to keep using my car, it's what I know and have always done.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

enterprise blockchain lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I think I mentioned it but I receive random crazy spam from a few people in my city every time the city council talks about funding light rail or anything besides roads, where they go on and on about how OUT OF TOUCH city hall is because OBVIOUSLY the ONE THING citizens want transportation funding to go to is MORE AND BETTER ROADS!!! How can we POSSIBLY think about funding some DUMB THING NOBODY WOULD USE when I SAW A POTHOLE JUST THE OTHER DAY!!!

It's never seen as a service they would actually use, or even a service that would remove other drivers from the road and thus make their own stupid car commute faster and better, it's always just a waste of money and hosed-up priorities because the roads have problems and we should focus all our effort onto fixing those problems before even thinking about "luxuries" like light rail.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Public transit in America being so bad is part racism, part legit problem because America BIG, and part capitalism where gas engine car manufacturers strong-armed a lot of already existing public transit into the dirt before it could really flourish and set an example

It does suck and could be massively improved but redesigning the whole nation to be car-free at this point is probably magic wand level thinking

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shame Boy posted:

Like I think I mentioned it but I receive random crazy spam from a few people in my city every time the city council talks about funding light rail or anything besides roads, where they go on and on about how OUT OF TOUCH city hall is because OBVIOUSLY the ONE THING citizens want transportation funding to go to is MORE AND BETTER ROADS!!! How can we POSSIBLY think about funding some DUMB THING NOBODY WOULD USE when I SAW A POTHOLE JUST THE OTHER DAY!!!

It's never seen as a service they would actually use, or even a service that would remove other drivers from the road and thus make their own stupid car commute faster and better, it's always just a waste of money and hosed-up priorities because the roads have problems and we should focus all our effort onto fixing those problems before even thinking about "luxuries" like light rail.

To add another layer on top of this: this intense navel gazing is actively rewarded by literally every aspect of our culture & political system because it makes people more pliant consumers

The problems that can't be ignored, pushed back to be the next administrations problem, shot, or shouted down at a city council meeting (ex. COVID) have an added bonus of making everyone slowly even more insane

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think some of you will like this from the failing new york times thread

double negative posted:

all my APs gone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zzulu posted:

Our so called great and good are to a man balls deep in minors OP

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oooh, that's a fun idea.

Better yet, hold a golf cart convention in the tunnels. Invite all of the Villages to Las Vegas with their golf carts, put a big banner up that directs them to the free tunnel party (golf carts only), then have them take turns telling the cops "gently caress off, private property."

Then roll a wiley coyote boulder in front of the tunnel.
For the love of God, Montresor!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

I kinda want them to try to build the Miami one just so Musk can "discover" the difference between the Southern California / Nevada desert and literally anywhere else with a water table the same way he "discovered" that you can't make cars entirely with robots that move so fast you can't see them

Well he did discover how to make robot cars move so fast that little kids can't see them (and vice versa)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

I mean, a major topic in the local elections last year in my Copenhagen suburb was if we should have a light rail on the main road to the city. There was a lot of disapproval of the idea, not least because it would destroy the local shops somehow, in addition to the car spaces. For some reason, our conservative party was the only one pushing for a metro solution.

The point being that we have car culture too. The difference is of course that I can get anywhere I need by public transport and/or bike.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I tell people that I didn’t get my license until I was 22 they are mystified followed by disgusted when I tell them that the bus was so convenient I would just look around for a sign and wait a few minutes before getting on it to get where I needed to go.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Professor Shark posted:

When I tell people that I didn’t get my license until I was 22 they are mystified followed by disgusted when I tell them that the bus was so convenient I would just look around for a sign and wait a few minutes before getting on it to get where I needed to go.

We killed this planet for cars, now drive or else the planet died for nothing

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I would simply inform the companys of tesla, ford, and chevy that they now make seats for trains, and cabins for trains, and engines for trains, and then hand them designs for the trains approved by the train experts, and hand them money for changing the factories to make train things.

And if any of them pushed back, id have the fbi tie them to a train track and run them over with a drone train

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm 32 and never had a license because I've never been able to afford a car, I still get boomers telling me I should just get something cheap and I can't explain to them enough no I can not afford a car. I'm not paying for insurance and a car loan when a monthly bus pass gets me to work.

My two favourite responses are "well you should get your license anyway" cool what would I practice driving with, dipshit, and "well what would you do if there was an emergency and you had to go to the hospital" call an ambulance?!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I would simply inform the companys of tesla, ford, and chevy that they now make seats for trains, and cabins for trains, and engines for trains, and then hand them designs for the trains approved by the train experts, and hand them money for changing the factories to make train things.

And if any of them pushed back, id have the fbi tie them to a train track and run them over with a drone train

This is a version of the trolley problem I haven't seen before.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
public transit is bad in the US because so many towns and cities were laid out specifically for the car, such that even walking to public transit becomes an insane idea.

for instance, I live in London. the streets are fairly narrow and everything is really compact. I can walk to several train and bus stops within like 10 minutes. I went home to my parents in South Carolina. it’s like a half hour walk to get out of their neighborhood to where there is allegedly a bus stop (I only even knew the bus stop existed because Apple Maps showed it when I went to get directions and it defaulted to public transit). short of bulldozing the suburbs, I’m not sure how you fix that (not opposed personally, but I’d assume the suburban dwellers would be).

youll further notice most of the American cities with good public transit tend to have been laid out before the car (New York City, Chicago, Boston etc). maybe a civil war would be a good idea?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The thing is that back in the 40s america DID have a decent public transit infrastructure in most of its cities. The nation being physically large was not a huge problem. The reason "america too big" is a problem now is because we have 80 years of horrendous car reliant sprawl making it completely impossible to provide any solution to the problem of transit in most places.

To accomplish anything resembling good transit infrastructure and city planning in the US anymore one would have to completely rebuild urban centers from the ground up and probably demolish vast amounts of unsustainable, unservicable sprawl to replace it with poo poo that actually works and is sane. So long as the car dependant infrastructure and suburban sprawl remains in the equation there will not be a viable solution. Our poo poo is simply beyond salvaging.

And of course most of the population has never seen or experienced any different. A lot of Americans simply cannot comprehend the idea of not relying on a car for every single thing they do, and don't want to either.

Edit: to clarify I am in full support of totally demolishing the vast majority of American "cities" and rebuilding them into smaller, compact, sensible urban centers with rail and bike friendly suburbs that aren't stupid and gigantic. It will never happen, but it's nice to dream.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Jan 11, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Keep Tesla away from building any real vehicles.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Skeleton King posted:

To accomplish anything resembling good transit infrastructure and city planning in the US anymore one would have to completely rebuild urban centers from the ground up and probably demolish vast amounts of unsustainable, unservicable sprawl to replace it with poo poo that actually works and is sane. So long as the car dependant infrastructure and suburban sprawl remains in the equation there will not be a viable solution. Our poo poo is simply beyond salvaging.
You must not be aware that this is a very exciting time to be in city planning and transportation. We painted two huge rainbows on the street last year. This has been celebrated as a major leap forward in the city where I live.

Sometimes the homeless sleep on the rainbows, and this makes the city planner very angry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do think learning to drive is a valuable skill even if you don't think you'll need it, much like learning to swim, but I can understand why people who live in big cities don't do either one, and It's basically the same reason most Americans don't learn a second language, it seems like a lot of effort for no obvious application.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Half the country speaks spanish I think the application is right there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Skeleton King posted:

To accomplish anything resembling good transit infrastructure and city planning in the US anymore one would have to completely rebuild urban centers from the ground up and probably demolish vast amounts of unsustainable, unservicable sprawl to replace it with poo poo that actually works and is sane.

We weren't shy about demolishing stuff to get our current infrastructure. And by "stuff" I mean "black neighborhoods". Scroll halfway down for an interesting before and after example.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actual spanish fluency and use is going steadily down in ethnic hispanic populations in usa so you just gotta wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I speak both English and American