Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pryor on Fire posted:

You must not be aware that this is a very exciting time to be in city planning and transportation. We painted two huge rainbows on the street last year. This has been celebrated as a major leap forward in the city where I live.

Sometimes the homeless sleep on the rainbows, and this makes the city planner very angry.

last year the rainbow crosswalks got painted over while they did some street work, they never explained why they had to be painted over to do the work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

https://twitter.com/shujauh/status/1479821836321918978?s=21

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

McCracAttack posted:

We weren't shy about demolishing stuff to get our current infrastructure. And by "stuff" I mean "black neighborhoods". Scroll halfway down for an interesting before and after example.

Oh I'm aware. I think it was a before and after picture of downtown Kansas City that destroyed me emotionally. It want anything about Kansas City in particular, it's just that was the one out of the dozen or so that finally broke me after the others wore me down. The racism just makes it sting that much harder. America really is the great satan.

It took a few days to recover emotionally from that. The auto industry stole so much from us.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I'm 32 and never had a license because I've never been able to afford a car, I still get boomers telling me I should just get something cheap and I can't explain to them enough no I can not afford a car. I'm not paying for insurance and a car loan when a monthly bus pass gets me to work.

My two favourite responses are "well you should get your license anyway" cool what would I practice driving with, dipshit, and "well what would you do if there was an emergency and you had to go to the hospital" call an ambulance?!

In fairness, in the US, for the price of one ambulance ride you can buy a car.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

surely there is no easier way.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

First they come for the cows, and i said nothing, etc..

This seems especially cruel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Skeleton King posted:

The thing is that back in the 40s america DID have a decent public transit infrastructure in most of its cities. The nation being physically large was not a huge problem. The reason "america too big" is a problem now is because we have 80 years of horrendous car reliant sprawl making it completely impossible to provide any solution to the problem of transit in most places.

It wasn't a problem because everything ran on steam trains, but those were rapidly becoming obsolete, hence my point of the decision being "more and better trains" vs. highways.

Don't disagree with your post though, just wanna be pedantic :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

imagine being a cow and all you can see is the face of zuck, forever

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Danaru posted:

I'm 32 and never had a license because I've never been able to afford a car, I still get boomers telling me I should just get something cheap and I can't explain to them enough no I can not afford a car. I'm not paying for insurance and a car loan when a monthly bus pass gets me to work.

My two favourite responses are "well you should get your license anyway" cool what would I practice driving with, dipshit, and "well what would you do if there was an emergency and you had to go to the hospital" call an ambulance?!

tbf the ambulance ride may cost more than a car, depending on your insurance company's mood

America!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So does that cow have four eyes or what

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

New matrix looking good.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Buddy, I'm not waiting to turn right at a red light, I'm sure as gently caress not waiting for a BUS!!!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Welcome... to the Mootrix

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StormDrain posted:

This is a version of the trolley problem I haven't seen before.

What problem? I only see solutions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Welcome... to the Mootrix

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
It's even worse than the matrix because we still actually have a viable "outside" that cows could actually go to

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lol no we don't cows are terrible for the environment and should all be killed, along with all other farm animals

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1480544388967112706

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol man that’s dark

like that monsanto seed case but for 🍄

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Public transit in America being so bad is part racism, part legit problem because America BIG, and part capitalism where gas engine car manufacturers strong-armed a lot of already existing public transit into the dirt before it could really flourish and set an example

It does suck and could be massively improved but redesigning the whole nation to be car-free at this point is probably magic wand level thinking

Except the USA isn't all that big, it just hasn't invested in train infrastructure at all. Way larger countries have excellent public transit infrastructure. Americans just think their country is exceptionally big because they feel exceptional, and like to use that as a blanket excuse for all the country's failings.

Also, the size of the country isn't really relevant to providing great regional transit, which is way more important than high speed rail.

BonHair posted:

I mean, a major topic in the local elections last year in my Copenhagen suburb was if we should have a light rail on the main road to the city. There was a lot of disapproval of the idea, not least because it would destroy the local shops somehow, in addition to the car spaces. For some reason, our conservative party was the only one pushing for a metro solution.

The point being that we have car culture too. The difference is of course that I can get anywhere I need by public transport and/or bike.

Conservative parties love expensive metros (that then don't get built for cost reasons) that put public transit out of sight and allow for car traffic to continue unimpeded. It's not surprising at all.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Jan 12, 2022

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

Those are both pictures of the same building from different angles, a historic cigar factory. It was a movie theater for a while and now I don't know what it is. That Gameworks is still there though, but it sucks and is basically a worse Dave and Busters.

am i the only one who wants architecture to move beyond standard brick buildings?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

am i the only one who wants architecture to move beyond standard brick buildings?

I would like my house to be made of hemp.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

you should build a house in Minecraft

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

and you would be the only hemp-house in the tri-county area :toot: (which makes no sense :psyduck:)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arivia posted:

you should build a house in Minecraft

Probably this, actually.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hempcrete

Build a wood frame and encase it in hemp hurd and lime. Not exactly cheap but I have plenty of free time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

Yes

Bricks are great

Luv bricks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bunker is the preferred abode of the thoughtful and prepared

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fame Douglas posted:

Except the USA isn't all that big, it just hasn't invested in train infrastructure at all. Way larger countries have excellent public transit infrastructure. Americans just think their country is exceptionally big because they feel exceptional, and like to use that as a blanket excuse for all the country's failings.

Also, the size of the country isn't really relevant to providing great regional transit, which is way more important than high speed rail.

Conservative parties love expensive metros (that then don't get built for cost reasons) that put public transit out of sight and allow for car traffic to continue unimpeded. It's not surprising at all.

american terrain for trains is dark souls NG asylum demon

chinese terrain for trains is dark souls NG+7 4 kings

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gary Larson's The Matrix: This Time Its Cows

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

ArmZ posted:

Gary Larson's The Matrix: This Time Its Cows
The Mootrix

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the matrix 4 as a end of year billion dollar blockbuster

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Already been perfected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxXjsQbCZR8

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Fame Douglas posted:

. Way larger countries have excellent public transit infrastructure.

Outside of China what countries are way larger than the US? And have excellent nationwide public transporation?

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Outside of China what countries are way larger than the US? And have excellent nationwide public transporation?

Fame Douglas is some flavor of british so they're probably thinking of australia

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Klanada

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin posted:

How does the USA being big stop your cities from having decent public transportation? That only seems like a ( bad ) argument for why there's no high-speed rail cross-country

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Didn’t the USSR have an effective rail network as well as urban metros?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Bigger country = faster trains. We could be going 500 mph if it weren't for cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Fame Douglas is some flavor of british so they're probably thinking of australia
Australia doesn't have excellent nationwide public transport though.