Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Even if Qiao’s viewpoint isn’t fully mainstream within the DSA, Li added, “these outlets have sowed enough confusion with their disinformation that we can’t do much with DSA committees without it being blocked.” And Qiao has proved to be particularly effective in stifling the left’s discourse over another human rights crisis nearly 3,000 miles northwest of Hong Kong.
https://files.catbox.moe/apbviw.mp4

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

see I don't think children and civilians actually equate to confederates though

this seems to imply that you dont think anyone in the northern army killed children or civilians

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The confederates deployed bushwhackers and stuff to harass union lines.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

New Cold War is going well apparently

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43820/australia-buys-m1a2-sepv3-advanced-abrams-tanks-to-lead-its-major-armor-upgrade

Guess the Aussies have the money to waste in the middle of COVID

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

doing a lot of ??? at the dude who's saying caste is no longer a political faultiline and also is implying the congress isn't neoliberal

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KomradeX posted:

New Cold War is going well apparently

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43820/australia-buys-m1a2-sepv3-advanced-abrams-tanks-to-lead-its-major-armor-upgrade

Guess the Aussies have the money to waste in the middle of COVID

It is absolutely insane to think china or anyone for that matter would invade Australia in a ground war where those tanks would be needed.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

FishBulbia posted:

see I don't think children and civilians actually equate to confederates though

the analogy is that memorials can be neutral or have a political agenda. that’s not always bad. but it certainly can be. if you want a more literal analogy, I’m AGAINST the memorial to the Ukrainian SS who died in WW2 in Canada. do you think members of the SS are as innocent as children and civilians, to use your silly logical?

e: I actually have enjoyed reading the discussion you sparked but also lmao at your purposely dangling the prospect you want a discussion then doing a bait and switch. it’s genuinely beyond most d&d posters lol

I actually hate seeing cspammers do it to and the lols are not fun imho (sorry cpt_obvious)

eSports Chaebol has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Jan 11, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It is absolutely insane to think china or anyone for that matter would invade Australia in a ground war where those tanks would be needed.

it’s mostly for unvaccinated tennis players

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
India Considering Easing Curbs on Some Chinese Investment, Sources Say

quote:

India is considering easing scrutiny on certain foreign direct investment, according to people familiar with the matter, after rules mainly aimed at China created a bottleneck for inflows.

Currently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government scrutinizes all investment proposals from companies that are either based in countries that share a land border with India or have an investor from one of these nations. It is now considering exempting proposals where the so-called beneficial ownership is less than 10%, which means the investor may be from a neighboring country but holds only a small stake in the firm proposing the investment.

The move is being considered after proposals worth $6 billion were stuck amid the red tape, the people added, asking not to be identified discussing private deliberations. The proposal could be approved as early as the next month.

The government had imposed curbs on such investments amid a bloody border standoff with China and also avert risks of opportunistic takeovers. The move slowed down the approval process with proposals from the neighboring nations including China and Hong Kong piling up.

An email and text message sent to the trade and industry ministry spokesperson remained unanswered.

Apart from delaying, the restriction had also complicated deal-making for investors. Relaxing the rules will broaden the pool of investors that capital-hungry Indian firms can tap, as local firms increasingly turn to large global investors to fund their growth.

As of Nov. 2021, over 100 proposals are awaiting clearance from the government, with around a quarter of them of over $10 million each.

Ah yes the first and only rule among the Capitalists: Don't gently caress with the money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

belgend posted:

doing a lot of ??? at the dude who's saying caste is no longer a political faultiline and also is implying the congress isn't neoliberal

Creating the largest make work program in the country that actively depletes the seasonal migration into cities post harvest is neoliberalism. Creating state owned corporations that are directly competing with private capitalist enterprises is neoliberalism. Taking more state control of the economy post 2008 is neoliberalism.

Actual leftist policy is acquiring some of the most fertile land in the country for the benefit of tata motors and splitting with your coalition government partners for buying nuclear fuel for a more carbon neutral future.

Edit: https://voxdev.org/topic/labour-markets-migration/labour-market-effects-workfare-programmes-evidence-india-s-nrega

https://www.dartmouth.edu/neudc2012/docs/paper_299.pdf

quote:

We use district level data from two rounds of National Sample Survey (NSSO) to
compare districts where the NREGS was launched with nearby districts, over time. Our main
results show that the NREGS has signicantly reduced rural to urban migration in India by
27.9 percent and has reduced urban unemployment by 38.7 percent. Our results on inequality are ambiguous. We have further disaggregated the data to study heterogeneity of results.
Analyzing causes of migration shows that employment related migration reduced by 58.5 percent; marriage related migration fell by 33.6 percent and as expected, study related migration
was unaected by the job scheme. Disaggregating by education level reveals that NREGS
reduced rural-urban migration of illiterate households by 32 percent. Literate households were
unaected by this labor market scheme which guarantees unskilled employment at a minimum rural wage."

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Jan 11, 2022

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think US arms sales are usually not for actually use but to build up brownie points with the US. I dunno why Australia would think they would need to butter up the US more. I am amused at the idea of AU fearing a Chinese invasion that would make Normandy look laughably small though. They are just waiting to pounce!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

OhFunny posted:

India Considering Easing Curbs on Some Chinese Investment, Sources Say

Ah yes the first and only rule among the Capitalists: Don't gently caress with the money.

Love my nationalistic government that will stand up to china by giving up all territory, blaming it on nehru and sending me whatsapp forwards from the Epoch times regarding the PRC>

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Australia is pretty much already upgrading from M1A1 tanks so it is a pretty straight forward.

That said, I kind of doubt they are going to be apart of any pitched tank battles.

Also, Taiwan lost a recently upgraded F-16 in a training accident, it wouldn’t be that notable except they also lost 3 F-5s in accidents as well over the past year. Also, there were a bunch of accidents in 2020.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Jan 11, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Australia is pretty much already upgrading from M1A1 tanks so it is a pretty straight forward.

That said, I kind of doubt they are going to be apart of any pitched tank battles.

Also, Taiwan lost a recently upgraded F-16 in a training accident, it wouldn’t be that notable except they also lost 3 F-5s in accidents as well over the past year.

Time to buy some fancy new f-35s

Or whatever those flying junk heaps are.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Time to buy some fancy new f-35s

Or whatever those flying junk heaps are.

It will probably happen eventually. Taiwan’s Air Force is starting to more seriously age and the F-35 is pretty much the only choice if you are reliant on the US at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Jan 11, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1480703132472872961

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
stalin was right 2022

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

This is also more or less what Vijay Prashad, the director of an internationalist organization called Tricontinental and a Marxist intellectual who did an event with Qiao in May 2020, told me when I asked him about the Uyghurs. “The ‘cultural genocide’ charge is one that I’m not entirely sympathetic to,” said Prashad, who has visited China numerous times but has not been to Xinjiang. “Education policy is a big part of poverty alleviation,” he added. “The fact is that most modern societies have forced people to have an education.” In his telling, what is happening to the Uyghurs is analogous to what countries like the United States and Australia did to their Indigenous populations, or what the British Empire did in his native India—but somewhat to my surprise, he didn’t mean that in a bad way. “That’s the price that people pay,” Prashad told me. “You can’t preserve some cultural forms and alleviate or eradicate absolute poverty.”

i bet that "in his telling" is covering for that not being what he said at all

Not Uyghurs, but I'm sure this woman would be really happy if her ethnic group had no modern education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv7gVH2Wij4&t=401s

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

It will probably happen eventually. Taiwan’s Air Force is starting to more seriously age and the F-35 is pretty much the only choice if you are reliant on the US at this point.

the us is terrified that a f35 falls into chinas hand somehow despite them probably already knowing everything about it and already using a lot of its (and f22s) tech in it

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1480931455568076807?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1480888367176769541

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

What gets me is the counterfactual, let's say Stalin had right away believed the reports of famine and prioritized categorically stopping the famine over industrialization. It seems that a predictable result of that is going to be slower, and thus less, industrialization. So what then happens in 1941 and 1942 when the Soviet Union needs to face the Nazi horde but with less industrialization, and thus less weaponry, less logistical capacity etc? It's not at all impossible that more people end up dead in this scenario.

Clearly there was no way for Stalin, or other decision makers in the USSR to know this for certain ahead of time, but it likely was part of their considerations.

the geographical distances of the Russian landmass have not changed in 100 years and the population has grown roughly linearly since then. meanwhile the speed of information transfer reached the physical maximum and the ability to process information has increased by several orders of magnitude. comparatively, the scale of the economic system to be managed has hardly changed relative to the power of the technology available to do so. this is a dramatic over simplification, but a single Silicon Valley series A seed company commands more planning capacity than the ussr in 1917. i think it’s fun to think about how goddamn feasible a fully planned, global economy would be but for the recalcitrance of capitalists and monarchists

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mike10010100/status/1481020157363433473

oh so thats what a tankie is a person who wants to know why bad things happen instead of just saying theyre bad

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the us is terrified that a f35 falls into chinas hand somehow despite them probably already knowing everything about it and already using a lot of its (and f22s) tech in it

The problem is that the RoC’s air fleet is clearly aged and the PLAAF already has multiple fighters superior to Thr RoC’s best (mostly older gen f-16 with some newer variants coming out.) Taiwan needs a creditable deterrence and the only real upgrade path is eventually to the f-35. It is a bit of a rock and hard place.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jan 11, 2022

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

cenotaph posted:

Not Uyghurs, but I'm sure this woman would be really happy if her ethnic group had no modern education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv7gVH2Wij4&t=401s

This reminds me of one of the BBC's alleged exposès of the "cultural genocide" or whatever from last year. It was about evil CCP officials going to villages in Xinjiang and tearing Uyghur women away from their families and sending them off for forced labor. The BBC guy had a cut up video the article was largely based on that he tweeted out and billed as "the video the CCP doesn't want you to see."

IMO, the version of the video he tweeted out was pretty benign but making incendiary claims while trusting most of your audience won't analyze your evidence is basic strategy.

However, after just a tiny bit of research, I found out that this "video the CCP doesn't want you to see" was an excerpt from a much longer video that CGTN had literally posted to YouTube like 4 years prior.

https://youtu.be/07NjqkQAgs8

Basically party members went to remote villages to recruit people for a work program. Most of the video focused on them trying to convince the family of one young adult woman that she should be allowed to work. I haven't watched the whole video in like a year but basically they were eventually convinced, she went to a city to work for a few months or something, then came back with livestock and money.

Genocide on a disturbing scale. The true reality that the Communist Regime in Beijing won't tell you about.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1479377517316382723

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
a major part of the Uyghur genocide narrative boils down to 'cultural genocide is when you try to encourage women to be allowed to work jobs other than homemaking'.

It's really no shock the main architects of this poo poo are christofascist freaks like Zenz, so much relies on 'YOU'RE BREAKING THE FAMILY UNIT BY LETTING A WOMAN OUT OF THE HOUSE', real cool to see libs parrot it though!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is this a new version im sure weve seen it before

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

'Qinstan' is some real sleeper gold

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Qinstan is some real shadowrun level bad worldbuilding for non-western cultures. Can't get over thinking about the imperial sultanate dynasty of Qin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngusRobertson/status/1480941318322987014

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

They really want to carve China up this badly, Jesus

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mom i want 10 year plan

we have 10 year plan at home

10 year plan at home:
https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1345461258603155456

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
becoming a janissary to serve Qinstan in their war against the mongol horde

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

a major part of the Uyghur genocide narrative boils down to 'cultural genocide is when you try to encourage women to be allowed to work jobs other than homemaking'.

It's really no shock the main architects of this poo poo are christofascist freaks like Zenz, so much relies on 'YOU'RE BREAKING THE FAMILY UNIT BY LETTING A WOMAN OUT OF THE HOUSE', real cool to see libs parrot it though!

The birth control poo poo too. When Zenz got a bunch of liberals on his side with the "birth control is genocide" report I was honestly a little impressed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DiscountDildos posted:

The birth control poo poo too. When Zenz got a bunch of liberals on his side with the "birth control is genocide" report I was honestly a little impressed.

yea that too, giving people family planning being literal genocide sure is a cool take to see liberals spit. Good thing that poo poo isn't being used here to justify removing of those rights!

Uh oh!!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

western liberals would absolutely be against birth control if abortion rights werent such an integral part of their origin myth now

were in this weird situation where drat near all the developed world is about to fall off a cliff in regards to birthrate but the only country anyone acknowledges as having that problem is china

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The problem is that the RoC’s air fleet is clearly aged and the PLAAF already has multiple fighters superior to Thr RoC’s best (mostly older gen f-16 with some newer variants coming out.) Taiwan needs a creditable deterrence and the only real upgrade path is eventually to the f-35. It is a bit of a rock and hard place.

Well on the USs end the f35s wont even be our main line of air support, it'll be upgraded F16 since we absolutely hosed ourselves this airfighter generation. We'll have to speed up the upcoming generation which will still take 15-20 years at the least before the aircraft are in stable production baring everything goings tits up like the f35 again.

And within our own doctrine there is a belief that the upgraded f16s are a match against the chinese fighters with the biggest factor for success being the experience of the airmen in them. I dont know how delusional that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Upgraded f-16s are probably fine against similar 4th gen AESA Chinese aircraft (j-10/11/16) but I really don’t know how they would fare against the j-20 which is a 5th generation fighter.

Of course, the other issue is that the PLAAF can concentrate its force of fighters while the US really can’t while there size and general tech of both forces isn’t that different from each other at this point. (A big part of it is the PLA has been building tons of 4th generation planes while the US has been screwing around with the F-35.)

It is why a war over Taiwan is a bit of fantasy, the PLA already has a overwhelming advantage.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Jan 12, 2022