Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The one I need is a good way to play Age of Sigmar, ideally without eating nearly as many system resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Mark Seifter is leaving Paizo to go work for Roll for Combat

https://twitter.com/MarkSeifter/status/1480649229559234561

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

poo poo, that's bad. Not for Mark, but he's the best rules and mechanics designer on Paizo's staff and a lot of the quality and good ideas in Pathfinder 2e come directly from him. I worry badly that they won't be able to keep up the same rules quality without him.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Designers getting poached from Paizo to work on 3rd-party PF content is objectively funny.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s an objectively better career move for 5e, I wonder if the same holds true post unionization at Paizo as well. I guess it’s a wash since they’re doing content for both, but I’d say the pf2e 3rd party market is nowhere near as profitable.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

Fortunately there are a ton of ways to do everything tts does but better (though not all at the same time) without needing to play in person. There's a list of alternatives in one of these twitter threads, I know.

mind giving a link? I've not seen this thread.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Is he leaving, or is he just going to be working for both companies simultaneously? This kind of multiple-hat-wearing is extremely common in the industry, including other people I know about at Paizo.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Roadie posted:

Is he leaving, or is he just going to be working for both companies simultaneously? This kind of multiple-hat-wearing is extremely common in the industry, including other people I know about at Paizo.

The impression I got from his comments on the Pathfinder 2e subreddit imply that he is leaving:

quote:

I'm not going to say it'll be the same without me, but Logan Bonner is an incredibly talented designer (and an incredibly talented everything in publishing strangely enough: editor, developer, artist too!) and we worked hand in hand on many of the toughest parts in finalizing PF2. You are in great hands with Logan for continuity. He always knows what to do. And looking forward, while they might not have been on the design team for PF2, Michael Sayre and James Case are ridiculously creative and insightful designers who have been at Paizo and thinking about PF2 even since the playtest, in Mike's case providing crucial early playtest feedback with some really interesting builds and tactics taking the 3 action system to its fullest, in James's case as an editor working to make the language and wording of the game the best it can be. This is a design team full of people who love PF2 and know PF2. They will continue to produce amazing things. And that's not even getting into all the amazing folks who are still there working on other products, or on other steps for the rulebooks!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s an objectively better career move for 5e, I wonder if the same holds true post unionization at Paizo as well. I guess it’s a wash since they’re doing content for both, but I’d say the pf2e 3rd party market is nowhere near as profitable.

This is the first time I've seen someone talk about it like that, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on it. My impression has been that 3rd party 5E stuff can be profitable, but I wouldn't have pegged it as "objectively better to be making 3PP stuff than having an actual first party job with WotC" offhand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The impression I got from his comments on the Pathfinder 2e subreddit imply that he is leaving:

The linked Know Direction video says he’s leaving Paizo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mllaneza posted:

This does look like GW is getting in on the subscription model for tabletop play. But I don't think it'll be too bad on the actual average 40K player, you'll only need one of the new books per game group so the new missions and narrative campaign stuff is available. They picked up a lot of new customers over lockdown, and this looks like a way to generate a revenue stream from them now that people can go back to their FLGS to actually play this stuff.

I'm only back active with 40K stuff since the new Kill Team was announced, but the Crusade content that's turned up in White Dwarf has been pretty interesting. A strong narrative play element is a lot more interesting than just bashing two armies together, so this just might not suck. I think what we're going to get is a lot of secondary objective cards keyed to more specific factions, a series of missions where (for example) the Imperial player is always on defense, and if the Aeldari win enough with the Rangers, they start getting regular craftworld units added to their lists to represent reinforcements.

It's GW, so it is a cash grab. But it might not suck for the people who play at the FLGS once or twice a month. The WH Community video made it look like one lore-heavy book and one with the secondary objective cards and such every season. That's a nice split, the lore-only people get a book, the play-every-weekend people get a shitload of new campaign stuff, and GW makes out like bandits.

This should also be a shot in the arm for the FLGS. The base concept behind the seasons is playing the game in a structured format, so that puts people in the store. And it encourages them to buy models at a steady pace as your crusade force develops.

tl;dr Could be cool, might suck.

It's a cash grab, but it's also a reaction to the current shipping and production delays. They can't reliably get new models out, and even book publishing is getting hard, and shifting to smaller books and PDFs allows them to do more frequent balance adjustments too.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 11, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new battleboxes announced over the weekend also represent a pretty serious discounting for at least two armies. It's possible, though extremely unlikely that they're testing the wind before shifting their business model to something slightly more in-line with the rest of the industry.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone talk about it like that, I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on it. My impression has been that 3rd party 5E stuff can be profitable, but I wouldn't have pegged it as "objectively better to be making 3PP stuff than having an actual first party job with WotC" offhand.

Just going on what I know of WotC pay. It's pretty poo poo for the majority of the talent that contribute to 5e.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

moths posted:

The new battleboxes announced over the weekend also represent a pretty serious discounting for at least two armies. It's possible, though extremely unlikely that they're testing the wind before shifting their business model to something slightly more in-line with the rest of the industry.

Wasn't that usually their model though? The battleboxes heavily discounted to get their foot in the door, but also lacking the models and point count you'd need for common formats, so you'd need to then buy some full priced stuff if you wanted to do more than smash the two starter armies against eachother.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's true. I understand that some of these are discounted around or above 40%, which seems to me like a first for comparatively new sprues.

Coming on the heels of moving to more frequent updates, it has me wondering if the consistent revenue stream from Warhammer+ freed room for experimenting with the rules model and figure price points.

It's a one in a million chance, but if GW is actually considering a price drop we wouldn't see it until next quarter after these numbers are crunched.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Just going on what I know of WotC pay. It's pretty poo poo for the majority of the talent that contribute to 5e.

I don't doubt in the slightest that WotC pay is probably not that great for the amount of money they bring in (I don't actually know if there's huge differences between departments, i.e. is the Magic team operating on the same set of pay scales as the D&D team etc) but everything I've seen of the 3rd party scene indicates that the pay isn't exactly great there either. The biggest pipeline for 3rd party 5E stuff is the DM's Guild, which takes 50% of your sales for themselves. Other platforms like DTRPG or itch pay better, but honestly I'm really skeptical that going from an actual full-time sort of job at WotC would be a step down from doing 3PP stuff unless you're in like the top percentage bracket of sales maybe (and even then I assume the WotC job would, in theory, have something resembling better stability).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the majority of content comes out on those sites, but the majority of money is made via crowdfunding sites. 5e supplements (and TTRPGs as a whole) are huge business on Kickstarter with much better margins than any of those sites, though that obviously requires more skills than just writing/art. A WotC pedigree would be a big selling point, and an established creator has a much higher potential going that route, of course without the stability of a 9-5.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah the majority of content comes out on those sites, but the majority of money is made via crowdfunding sites. 5e supplements (and TTRPGs as a whole) are huge business on Kickstarter with much better margins than any of those sites, though that obviously requires more skills than just writing/art. A WotC pedigree would be a big selling point, and an established creator has a much higher potential going that route, of course without the stability of a 9-5.

Ah okay I getcha. Yeah I wasn't thinking of kickstarter stuff I guess. Some people can make a decent-ish living off it, but with Kickstarter's whole dumbass blockchain nonsense dumping some poison in that well I'd definitely be concerned about the potential volatility, it's still not really clear if KS projects are actually going to see any appreciable dip in backers over it or if it's not really going to make a dent. I guess we're gonna see.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The latest Roll for Combat kickstarter seems to have gotten 300k, which definitely isn't bad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rollforcombat/rpg-superstar-battlezoo-bestiary/description

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

dbzfandiego posted:

mind giving a link? I've not seen this thread.

I couldn't find the one I was thinking of, but this looks useful:

https://twitter.com/UmbyUmbreon/status/1480727673026473984

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Adam Meyers, who did Spheres of Power just closed his newest kickstarter for Spheres of Guile to give Rogues the same sort of rework that fighters and magic users got from the prior books. Nice to see he was smart enough to open Backerkit immediately since so many people won't do business with Kickstarter right now over their crypto plans.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Adam Meyers, who did Spheres of Power just closed his newest kickstarter for Spheres of Guile to give Rogues the same sort of rework that fighters and magic users got from the prior books. Nice to see he was smart enough to open Backerkit immediately since so many people won't do business with Kickstarter right now over their crypto plans.

My reaction to this is thoroughly 'meh'. It really fills like it only exists to fill the gap of non-combat stuff that was missing from Spheres of Might (but promised the whole time right up until release), and then on top of that the actual abilities are pretty underwhelming.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Tenkar's Tavern reported on Zak Smith last week. He got fined a hefty sum by Los Angeles Superior Courts.

According to the text description, "Zak Smith was sanctioned in his suit against Vivka Grey, in an apparent attempt to intimidate a witness for the defendant."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

huh they made a 5e adaptation of the Spheres system. Cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Libertad! posted:

Tenkar's Tavern reported on Zak Smith last week. He got fined a hefty sum by Los Angeles Superior Courts.

According to the text description, "Zak Smith was sanctioned in his suit against Vivka Grey, in an apparent attempt to intimidate a witness for the defendant."

Zak confused actual court with Reddit and tried to insert two of his gaslit patsies close friends into the trial as witnesses ten minutes before it started.

Interesting that he's got a GoFundMe - I've suspected that his fund ran out around when he went mask-off with the unhinged "under penalty of perjury" demands.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

moths posted:

Interesting that he's got a GoFundMe - I've suspected that his fund ran out around when he went mask-off with the unhinged "under penalty of perjury" demands.

It might just be basic greed/scamming tactics; yeah, he's got a trust fund, but why not also rake in money from sympathatic chuds on the side?
Still, this is good news and I'm in full schadenfreude mode.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
The description of the video says he was only fined $1847 though. That's not exactly a life-destroying amount given the cost of going to court in the first place.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Whybird posted:

The description of the video says he was only fined $1847 though. That's not exactly a life-destroying amount given the cost of going to court in the first place.

I think it's less about the fine, and more about what it says about how his case is going. The more poo poo he eats now, the less likely for this thing to go his way in the end.

eta: I just read through the court document, and the sanctions aren't against ZS alone, but also his lawyer, which is an extremely bad sign for Zak's case:

quote:

Sanctions

Code of Civil Procedure section 2025.420(h) provides that “[t]he court shall impose a monetary sanction under Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 2023.010) against any party, person, or attorney who unsuccessfully makes or opposes a motion for a protective order, unless it finds that the one subject to the sanction acted with substantial justification or that other circumstances make the imposition of the sanction unjust.”

Here, there is an obvious longstanding privacy interest in the testimony sought in the deposition of Amanda Nagy. The timing of Smith’s last-minute insistence\r\non the attendance of non-party attendees who are testifying against the deponent in another action is somewhat suspect. Moreover, Smith’s opposition to this motion was without merit. Accordingly, the Court finds that some sanctions are warranted.

Accordingly, based on the totality of the circumstances, sanctions are granted in the amount of $1,847.19.

Zachary Smith and his Counsel of Record, Henry L. Self III, are jointly and severally liable and ordered to pay monetary sanctions in the amount of $1,847.19 to Vivka Grey by and through counsel, within thirty (30) days of notice of this order.

CONCLUSION AND ORDER

For the foregoing reasons, Vivka Grey’s motion for a protective order is granted. Non-parties, excluding counsel, are excluded from the deposition of Amanda Nagy.

Grey’s request for sanctions is GRANTED in the amount $1,847.19.

Zachary Smith and his Counsel of Record, Henry L. Self III, are jointly and severally liable and ordered to pay monetary sanctions in the amount of $1,847.19 to Vivka Grey by and through counsel, within thirty (30) days of notice of this order.

Moving Party is to provide notice of this order and file proof of service of such.

DATED: August 5, 2021 ___________________________

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 17, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't bother checking it out, but the GoFundMe is (according to Tenker's summary) set up by a former friend and roommate of Zak's for Zak's benefit because Zak is a great guy and Zak would never personally beg for money.

So it's almost certainly Zak or a closely-directed proxy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

moths posted:

I didn't bother checking it out, but the GoFundMe is (according to Tenker's summary) set up by a former friend and roommate of Zak's for Zak's benefit because Zak is a great guy and Zak would never personally beg for money.

So it's almost certainly SAppelcline.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Interesting mention in passing that Vivka Grey has filed a countersuit. Mandy was raising funds for a counterclaim of her own. Suggests a co-ordinated fightback, which would be a lovely sight to see.

And yes the sanctions aren't financially ruinous but they are a rebuke of Zak's conduct of the suit.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Vivka is good people, gently caress Zak and I hope more people can bleed him for enough to end more of this nuisance and SLAPP poo poo.
Though from my experience trustfund brats will gladly bleed their entire family dry if it means bullying someone else into spending as much.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Falstaff posted:

I think it's less about the fine, and more about what it says about how his case is going. The more poo poo he eats now, the less likely for this thing to go his way in the end.
Yeah, if a judge has had to slap your wrist once already over the course of hearing the case, that's already going to incline them to rule against you. If your case is ultimately far better than the opposing side's case from a legal perspective and you have them bang to rights, it won't change anything - but if it's murkier and it comes down to the judge to make a decision on where they feel the balance of probabilities lie (and this is almost always the case for any civil suit which actually makes it to trial, since only a self-destructive fool keeps fighting a case they know they are near-definitely going to lose), then all else being equal the judge is going to be inclined to believe that the person who behaved badly during the trial also behaved badly in the past.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Oh, and as for Zak's attorney also being sanctioned, there's several ways to interpret that, few of them good, the most likely possibilities to my mind being the following:

- Zak deliberately went looking for an attorney who would have the same rhetorical viciousness and attack dog tendencies that Zak himself has, because that is what Zak considers to be Good Arguing, and this stunt was the attorney's idea. This has blown up in Zak's face because whilst attack dog attorneys might be good at scaring your opponents before the courts get involved (say, when writing a cease and desist letter), if they don't rein in that and behave with more :decorum: during the court process itself then stuff like this happens.

- Zak demanded that his attorney attempt this stunt, his attorney said "sure thing boss" and went ahead with it. This is a sign of both an ethically dubious attorney (professional ethics sometimes mean telling your client "No, I cannot do that, that's an actual breach of the rules") and a poor attorney (a good attorney will warn their client when the client's proposed actions are self-defeating).

- Zak demanded that his attorney attempt this stunt, his attorney warned him, Zak said "loving do it" and the attorney said "Well, fine then". This is sometimes a position attorneys end up in with difficult, stubborn clients. It will be interesting to see how long Zak remains this attorney's client.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't believe ettin got to the judge

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

An important factor here: judges don’t like sanctions. Judges really don’t generally like to hand them out. This is generally not a great thing for anyone receiving sanctions while a case is ongoing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I know Zak isn't a pro se client, but "Henry L. Self the Third from Harder LLP" is a hilarious name for a lawyer when the client has a reputation for made up sock puppets.

Also, he's a music and short film producer.

https://harderllp.com/attorneys/henry-l-self/

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I did wonder about that.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm hoping that if there's now a legal document that records Zak's attempt at intimidation for what it is, that can be submitted as evidence regarding his general personality in future lawsuits.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I can express only one emotion at this turn of events: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEz6bMzOVIw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
With ya, that makes more sense now.