Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I remember getting to that first room in Myst and never being able to figure it out and never playing it again. Maybe I should give it another shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
We had a PC in the house from as far back as I can remember. I can remember playing stuff like Decathlon and Sargon III on a green monochrome monitor. Console-wise I had an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard, then an 800XL that had basic onboard (ooo, fancy), then an NES/SNES and then life happened.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Braksgirl posted:

I LOVED Myst. SB bought me the sequel, Riven, for Christmas one year when we were still dating. Puzzle games are my jam.

Enormously recommend Baba Is You on Steam or Switch then. It's a (goon-made!) puzzler where you slide around blocks to find a way to the win condition, and the blocks also include the rules saying what you control, what you need to touch to win, and all sorts of other concepts. It's remarkable.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2022

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Funny enough I just played and beat quake for the first time ever the other day.

Pretty fun! Though the Bethesda remaster lowers your health to 50 on nightmare which is an absolute pain in the rear end and I didnt realize that wasnt a normal thing till I was already on episode 4.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

I LOVED Myst. SB bought me the sequel, Riven, for Christmas one year when we were still dating. Puzzle games are my jam.

Do not go back and look at it. Does not hold up

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The Glumslinger posted:

The cold vs allergies vs low symptom covid game is pretty annoying

I just had to give to half-hour presentations on the production floor, which means basically yelling with a mask. Started to cough about 20 minutes into each of them, and I've never been so tempted to say "no, no, don't worry, I've had four straight nights with my wife at work, it's a weed cough" at my place of work. COVID times are weird.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I just had to give to half-hour presentations on the production floor, which means basically yelling with a mask. Started to cough about 20 minutes into each of them, and I've never been so tempted to say "no, no, don't worry, I've had four straight nights with my wife at work, it's a weed cough" at my place of work. COVID times are weird.

I did an outdoor pub-ed for a preschool over the summer where we put on our turnout gear and went on air so they could hear how we sounded and not be scared. On one of the rotations I managed to get a gnat into my face piece and inhaled. The pressure off the air tank slammed that fucker down my throat and I spent the next 10 minutes hacking my lungs out trying to explain to everyone in the next group that no I'm not sick, I inhaled a bug.

Good times.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like just wearing a mask makes me cough more. Probably because I have to breath and talk harder, and there's a decent chance I'm sucking in tiny little cloth particles. Had a meeting today where all of a sudden I kept coughing because it felt like something was stuck in my throat.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Not enough people are honoring the true heroes like you

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Who you listening too? I just started listening to ALAB and they have an episode about his connections with Deutschbank.

The first part of a 2 parter is on Martyrmade the 2nd part is only going to be on the dude's substack because he was worried about it being taken down. Still it was only 5 dollars to sub for a month and the 2nd part is definitely going to be worth it. Provided a lot of background on the people who kind of got Epstein into the game of money laundering for governments and arms dealers etc and really does cement just how insane a story it is. Also Ghilane Maxwell's father could probably use a massive deep dive in his own right.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

The first part of a 2 parter is on Martyrmade the 2nd part is only on the dude's substack because he was worried about it being taken down. Still it was only 5 dollars to sub for a month and the 2nd part is definitely worth it. Provided a lot of background on the people who kind of got Epstein into the game of money laundering for governments and arms dealers etc and really does cement just how insane a story it is. Also Ghilane Maxwell's father could probably use a massive deep dive in his own right.

Oh yeah, he was definitely Mossad, and set this guy up for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

Myst. I wonder how that game holds up.

It's good OP. Pretty short now but I feel like that game is vastly underrated in the pantheon of ~influential video games~. Also the entire thing was programmed in Hypercard, which was basically early Powerpoint.

Those same dudes got back together a few years ago and put out a game called Obduction, which has a really similar feeling. Played part of it and liked it but got pulled away by other stuff before finishing it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Samadhi posted:

Not enough people are honoring the true heroes like you

I keep her spirits up by leaving the beautiful, pristine snow on our long, steep driveway so she can take in nature's marvels at the end of a 12 hour shift.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1480946307409887239

Good thing people breath less than once every ten seconds

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

Just become a Curvier's beaked whale bing bong so simple

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Coco13 posted:

Enormously recommend Baba Is You on Steam or Switch then. It's a (good-made!) puzzler where you slide around blocks to find a way to the win condition, and the blocks also include the rules saying what you control, what you need to touch to win, and all sorts of other concepts. It's remarkable.

Will be checking that out. Thanks!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Intruder posted:

I don't know about you but I hold my breath for 20 seconds after every breath so I don't breathe in anyone's farts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CannonFodder posted:

That sounds like trying to score some coke but you're not a regular so they have to send you three places first so they can get all the money they can.

But the cocaine is Photoshop 6.2

Hey, I learned Photoshop on 4. Before the program had vector text. Talk about hell.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

That one's great (though slightly more computer programmy logic), there's also Myst like games like the Talos Principle and The Witness over the last like 5 years that are very highly regarded.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you wanna stop covid, simply stop breathing bing bong so simple

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Coco13 posted:

Enormously recommend Baba Is You on Steam or Switch then. It's a (good-made!) puzzler where you slide around blocks to find a way to the win condition, and the blocks also include the rules saying what you control, what you need to touch to win, and all sorts of other concepts. It's remarkable.

This game makes me feel dumb. There are only 4 blocks, how many different combinations could there be where I still cannot figure it out! I got it a while ago and kind of bounced off of it.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

First game was some piece of poo poo called power Pete for my 6300 power mac

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, he was definitely Mossad, and set this guy up for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

I'll check out the one you mentioned today when I'm done with forumsing and job hunting, it'll be interesting to see what overlaps. I haven't read much about this guy but I'll get into that rabbit hole as well. Cheers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mine was some awful PC casette based system that I was too young to really process what was going on. first I remember was probably BMX Racers on the Commodore 64, and man was that game a piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeDFrsrbJx8

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
One of my earliest PC games was Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, which sounds awesome but all you did was fly planes and there was no shooty stuff. Also no oh poo poo my experimental plane is going down stuff. You just flew around and it wasn't all that hard I don't think unless you wanted to see how fast you could go down.

Which is cool for a certain person, but it seemed much less cool for a 10 year old me or whatever I was.

My dad absolutely loved it and got a fancy joystick controller solely to play that game.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel like just wearing a mask makes me cough more. Probably because I have to breath and talk harder, and there's a decent chance I'm sucking in tiny little cloth particles. Had a meeting today where all of a sudden I kept coughing because it felt like something was stuck in my throat.
I can go hours without coughing and then I get a horrible coughing fit and hack up a loogie. Then I'm fine again.

Got a PCR test today, gonna find out if I have Vid or Crud.

Talking about these old games got me thinking about how many of these games had great music. However, I can't think of a game with mediocre music. Even games that were slow and took many hours like SimCity or Civilization had some banging tracks. I don't remember a game that was just Blah with the music.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 12, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I can go hours without coughing and then I get a horrible coughing fit and hack up a loogie. Then I'm fine again.

Got a PCR test today, gonna find out if I have Vid or Crud.

Other symptoms? Dry or productive cough?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My house always had flight joysticks to play Wing Commander, Falcon 3.0, and F117 Stealth

Oh also Mechwarrior 2

Oh man that reminds me playing Mig Alley Ace when i was really little

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

Other symptoms? Dry or productive cough?
I sent you a PM.

Its Rinaldo posted:

My house always had flight joysticks to play Wing Commander, Falcon 3.0, and F117 Stealth

Oh also Mechwarrior 2

Oh man that reminds me playing Mig Alley Ace when i was really little
When I was a kid we had MS Flight Simulator and a flight joystick. I used that joystick to play Wolf3D and Doom. I was not smart.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 12, 2022

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I completely forgot about the Jetfighter series. Especially Jetfighter II where you got to bomb buildings into flat planes on the ground. Played the poo poo out of that.

For excellent music, Terminal Velocity and the Descent series are near the top of my list.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Now you jerks are gonna have me looking into a Windows VM for Jane's ATF, Jane's USAF, and MS CFS3. :argh:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Wavy Navy on an Apple IIe

The demo cds from PC Gamer were also a large part of my early gaming experience.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Mine was NBA Jam / Mario World 2 / Star Wars (the one where there's a speeder driving section). All for SNES. I'm not old enough for Commodores or Ataris, in fact the first system I actually owned myself was the N64.

My parents wouldn't buy me video games when I was young (we didn't have cable television either, they were kinda hippies), so this was an older neighbor boy's. He barely let me play them either, I got like one turn for four of his. To be fair it was probably torture watching me play because I was a little kid who had never played video games in his life

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I keep her spirits up by leaving the beautiful, pristine snow on our long, steep driveway so she can take in nature's marvels at the end of a 12 hour shift.

Just set it up so she can shovel downhill and then she can use a complex system of ropes and pulleys to pull herself to the top and shovel downhill again

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While at the studio a new person came in to use our printers (their home one broke and hey, that's what the printers are for) and this popped up on my phone:

Considering I haven't left my house since I got home from DC this was a :catstare: moment, but that person was nowhere near Washington state so it became a :confused: moment.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

seiferguy posted:

If you wanna stop covid, simply stop breathing bing bong so simple

So you're saying the anti vaxxers have the right idea

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Man, I miss good flying games. I don’t think there many good ones on console.

I played that Chuck Yeager one in shareware, as well as this other primitive flight game called Corncob 3d that was a ton of fun.

I used to play the poo poo out of the big fighter sims like Falcon 3.0 and Tornado, and Janes Fighters Anthology was my jam. So good in multiplayer for the late 90s. They had a WW2 aerial game too that was a monster and I never quite had the horsepower to run it at full detail.

There was a fun helicopter sim too but I can’t remember the name of it. Had Apaches and Comanches and Cobras and it struck a good sim/entertainment balance. Got a lot of mileage out of that one. It might’ve been a Janes but I can’t remember right off.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You could just play based on a true story Ace Combat 7

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Braksgirl posted:

I’d also recommend checking out The Room and its three sequels on Steam. They’re very much in the mold of Myst with some good puzzle design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

There was a fun helicopter sim too but I can’t remember the name of it.

Sim Copter, obviously