Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Endorph posted:

true, this is why emet is so popular. wait

Well you see, with Emet-Selch they used a different technique.

CJ posted:

Yeah it sucks that they had to put effort into writing Emet for people to like him.

Which is one part that, and one part making a sassy rear end in a top hat bad guy for all those sassy rear end in a top hat bad guy enjoyers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is okay for characters to be openly friendly without it being a cruel manipulation.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Really I can't think of a single character I outright dislike, with sort of the exception being that Heavensward elf boy who I don't even remember his name, he is that much of a nothing burger to me.
wow aymeric's not my favorite either but that seems a bit overly rude

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All this talk about G'raha in Endwalker has reminded me I don't even remember most of his scene in it.

There was the Ultima Thule scene with Stigma, the argument in the Forum, I think he was the guy that remembered Elidibus was still in the Tower... I'm sure he had other scenes, because I trust most of you aren't pulling things out your rear end when you talk about his characterization in EW, but I don't remember a lick of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
he ate a burger

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
he went exarch mode when thavnair was panicking and rallied the civilians to safety

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think he was the one who suggested to use allagan nonsense from coil in the rocket ship???

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He reenacted Paladin moves from the trailer.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

He made the smooth rock start playing.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
he took a nap and made cute waking-up noises when you sat next to him

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Graha but I liked him more as the Exarch. Thought it's not the first time in FFXIV that the writer's understanding I wanted to date a character and started pushing them more that way, just kinda made me less into them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I kinda felt this way as well with some things. The game does a poor job of connecting the Scions to Louisoix and the twins and it's easy to miss stuff in the cutscene avalanche.

This video someone posted that was apparently in the ARR collector's edition release would help to ground new players although it is a bit overlong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXc0loyuq9I

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the Exarch is top tier but a big part of the character's appeal (imo) is the melancholy and bittersweetness of duty fulfilled at great personal sacrifice that you by necessity kind of have to ditch if he actually gets to re-live life and have cool adventures with you. I don't like fun adventurer G'raha any less but Exarch just hits different

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Macaluso posted:

Graha is great and people that don't like him should probably prepare themselves because I think he's going to be a constant character for a while on the next adventure. Though I don't think we're going to stop seeing any of the crew, I do think Graha is going to be a much more constant presence going forward than the others. I think Krile is going to start hanging out more. Hopefully without her hood on because her little pony tail is so cute I could die.

I'm interested in what NEW characters we're going to meet and will join the squad going forward. They've done a killer job at new characters, even ones that aren't on our team per say, like Emet and Metion. I'll be interested when they start bringing in new characters who stick around. Maybe Erenville will be around going forward!

I'd also like it if we took those teleport crystals to the first now now Ryne and Co. can join us on adventures as well

The problem is G'Raha is a completely drained character as of 5.3 and he's just tagging along now. he had one good scene in Endwalker where he took charge in Thavnair but the rest of the time he followd you around like a lost puppy. I think they should have him leave for a while and mature a bit (despite being 100 years old already), then if he comes back have him be more independent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think he worked fine as part of an ensemble cast in ew. Like, the story doesn't need to have big things for him to do, because there's too many people and not enough things that need doing. So they just give him some cute scenes with boyfriend vibes and it's fine. I don't think he's particularly worse off than say, Thancred or Urianger

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
he displayed as much agency and initiative as any of the Scions without taking up too much of the spotlight, I thought they did a really good job with that. they also managed to slot Estinien in pretty well as the new guy

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The problem is every time he gets a chance to talk he tries to go into sappy speech mode. The act is wearing thin.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
I understand why G’raha wouldn’t be everyone’s type of character, but considering that I’m on one side of the spectrum (one of my favorite, if not outright favorite, NPCs in the game) and my friend was on the other (WoL totally put off by his fanboying), we both agreed that EW did a good job of mostly threading the impossible needle for both of our characters.

G’raha wasn’t actually particularly clingy in the EW MSQ. He mostly interacts with your character in group discussions, and the scenes where he’s most active have very little to do with you. You have the choice whether or not he shows up to visit you in your room, he has other poo poo to do at the very end of the MSQ instead of waiting around for you. He doesn’t say anything weird during his walk around scenes with you, and, I believe the first one is optional?

Yes, the scene in Ultima Thule is very fanboy-ish and you don’t have a “cut this poo poo out” option in response. But other than that, he’s literally no more clingy than any other Scion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJ posted:

The problem is G'Raha is a completely drained character as of 5.3 and he's just tagging along now. he had one good scene in Endwalker where he took charge in Thavnair but the rest of the time he followd you around like a lost puppy. I think they should have him leave for a while and mature a bit (despite being 100 years old already), then if he comes back have him be more independent.

Here's the thing though: I like him and want him to stay. He has not been drained of being my good friend

CJ posted:

The problem is every time he gets a chance to talk he tries to go into sappy speech mode. The act is wearing thin.

Actually it's good

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CJ posted:

That and him having boyfriend vibes made me uncomfortable because like...I don't like having that pushed that strongly on me. Despite my Emet thirst, I'm not into men, and so G'raha takes on a much darker, (entirely unintended mind you) vibe.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I would like to keep Graha around so that one of our friends does not have white hair

Krile with her hood down works too

Hogama posted:

wow aymeric's not my favorite either but that seems a bit overly rude
:laffo:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I thought it was cool when Graha saved the scions and dozens (hundreds?) of ordinary people from splattering into paste, only having to take a lil cat nap for the trouble.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like Graha but I liked him more as the Exarch. Thought it's not the first time in FFXIV that the writer's understanding I wanted to date a character and started pushing them more that way, just kinda made me less into them.

I... agree, come to think of it. I think it's because I'm generally more engaged by plot-furthering scenes, and he had a lot of those in ShB, not so much afterwards.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I didn't mind G'raha but I think he's given us the 'we are going to go on a great adventure and I want you to bring me along' speech at least three times by this point and I'm beginning to question if his memory is going.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Tell G'raha about the adventures again, WoL.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I really appreciate having Estinien as part of the party, because the rest of the Scions are some flavor of scholar-nerd or another and... the WoL, no matter how you may personally potentially think of them as astute and bookish, is repeatedly characterized as not. It is nice to have another combat-inclined non-scholar on the team, nice to have him play that off everyone else, and especially because when violence is required he's like a living tactical air strike.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

I didn't mind G'raha but I think he's given us the 'we are going to go on a great adventure and I want you to bring me along' speech at least three times by this point and I'm beginning to question if his memory is going.

look he has like 150 years of them clogging his head. He can't fit any more.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's kind of weird that he's over 100 years old and always hanging around with Alisae as well.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

FeatherFloat posted:

I really appreciate having Estinien as part of the party, because the rest of the Scions are some flavor of scholar-nerd or another and... the WoL, no matter how you may personally potentially think of them as astute and bookish, is repeatedly characterized as not. It is nice to have another combat-inclined non-scholar on the team, nice to have him play that off everyone else, and especially because when violence is required he's like a living tactical air strike.

i really appreciated that Estinien was the first guy to try and jump the boss in every single cutscene

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJ posted:

It's kind of weird that he's over 100 years old and always hanging around with Alisae as well.

It's extremely presented as like a brother/sister thing, it's not weird even a little bit

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FeatherFloat posted:

Yeah, if anything having Estinien in the main cast made me feel like he should've joined earlier. I do think a big understated strength of FFXIV is that the core cast is full of turbonerds who think critically, which did a lot to aid the story in actually becoming more welcoming to more complex angles, but it does add to the story to have someone who's mostly just really good at throwing the gently caress down.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, if anything having Estinien in the main cast made me feel like he should've joined earlier. I do think a big understated strength of FFXIV is that the core cast is full of turbonerds who think critically, which did a lot to aid the story in actually becoming more welcoming to more complex angles, but it does add to the story to have someone who's mostly just really good at throwing the gently caress down.

Yeah, if anything to make it feel less like the WoL is just the meathead they throw at problems.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gotta admit it was really funny when the guy saw his son get turned into a horrible monster and get crushed to paste and watched mr president get eaten alive was saved from tipping over into despair by G'raha being like "hey. stop that"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The next storyline will have our party be Aenor, A-Ruhn-Senna, Fordola, Emmanelain (now a Dancer), and let’s throw in a wildcard, I’ll go with Hildibrand to tank

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Gotta admit it was really funny when the guy saw his son get turned into a horrible monster and get crushed to paste and watched mr president get eaten alive was saved from tipping over into despair by G'raha being like "hey. stop that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM someone edit G'raha's face on

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I already said my uncle works at square and there will be 8 trust members. 4 will be new people we don't know. The other 4 are:

tank: Laurisse de Jervaint
healer: Alpha
melee DPS: Zenos
ranged DPS: Sadu

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Bring that dumb pirate who nobody cares about back.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CJ posted:

Gonna need to be way more specific

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Again I feel it's important to note that Graha is not actually romantic with your character. Like there's enough there you can read it that way if you want but he's portrayed as being an earnest person who enjoys your company and friendship. I mean I've made the "just kiss already" jokes too but they're jokes and not meant as an actual interpretation of the character. I feel like trying to slot every interaction someone has into romance ends up devaluing a lot of the character and I think it can be hard to separate "this person is hitting on me" from "This person just likes being around me." Graha is very firmly in the second category, as are all the Scions. If you want to write your fanfiction with (x) character there's enough basis there to do so because they are written as being someone you are friends with, in the same way you can write Sam and Frodo in a romantic way.

One thing I appreciate in writing, and it's difficult, is a willingness to portray close relationships that aren't about romance or sex. FFXIV does a largely good job at that in the player relationships are built around the idea of close interaction and trust and depending on your character. This isn't just true of Graha but all the Scions and most of the characters you interact with. Haurchefant was apparently a bit more openly flirty in the Japanese version but even then his dying words are about his faith and trust in your character.

I feel like this is important to note because it really does hurt the writing of certain characters if you take everything they do as romantic when it is about friendship and family as much as anything. There's no harm in having your personal headcanon or whatever but like Sam and Frodo it can actually devalue a particular interaction if you assume the only reason people can care that much is because they want to sleep with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CJ posted:

feels like you're talking about either sicard or mistbeard, but that can't be right since they're both good as hell