Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Joey Freshwater posted:

You could just play based on a true story Ace Combat 7

You joke but I legit love the Ace Combat series. Just a bunch of crazy loopdy loops and blowing poo poo up.

LeeMajors posted:

There was a fun helicopter sim too but I can’t remember the name of it. Had Apaches and Comanches and Cobras and it struck a good sim/entertainment balance. Got a lot of mileage out of that one. It might’ve been a Janes but I can’t remember right off.

Maybe Apache Longbow, are you?

E: or Gunship! ? I definitely remember the game you're describing, but hell if I can think of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I really wish Ace Combat would get ported to Switch, as near as I can tell there’s an utter dearth of air combat sims on it and I just wanna blow up some dudes in a dogfight

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I know it is not a sim but Crimson Skies was a great game, the sequel less so.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
We still talkin' first games?

Jill of the Jungle

Jazz Jackrabbit

Nethack

Clouds of Xeen

Gorillas

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 12, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Sim Copter, obviously

I just did some poking around and it was Gunship 2000.

gently caress that game was fun. Microprose killed it during that time.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
also loved Kings Quest and the OG Starcraft but my most beloved early gaming memory was playing Commandos and Commandos 2 which were brutally difficult Xcom style games set in WW2

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One thing younger people will not realize is that every old pc action game was awful because PC controllers were complete and abject trash until the xbox 360 came out. Just hundreds upon hundreds of godawful pieces of poo poo that were all terrible.

Flight sticks? Awesome, an actual controller that could move a character to the left or right in a proper manner? Impossible.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

You joke but I legit love the Ace Combat series. Just a bunch of crazy loopdy loops and blowing poo poo up.

Maybe Apache Longbow, are you?

E: or Gunship! ? I definitely remember the game you're describing, but hell if I can think of the name.

Remember this? I played the Game Gear version all the loving time

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just finished the newest series of The Great British Baking show and my favorite baker from the very beginning won and just :unsmith: :unsmith: :unsmith:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
poo poo, I forgot about Red Baron!

Samadhi posted:

Remember this? I played the Game Gear version all the loving time

That game was loving amazing!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm dying, y'all. Someone I work with posted in our agency group about a problem with a katana that her son bought at Epcot in the Japan pavilion. Despite living in Orlando, they had to get it mailed to their house (can't have weapons in the park, I guess) and it came in today. She was mad because when they unsheathed the sword there was an inscription on it and she thought maybe someone had bought it and returned it so they got a used sword.

The inscription said "To my brother Budd, the only man I ever loved. - Bill". She had no idea.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Braksgirl posted:

I'm dying, y'all. Someone I work with posted in our agency group about a problem with a katana that her son bought at Epcot in the Japan pavilion. Despite living in Orlando, they had to get it mailed to their house (can't have weapons in the park, I guess) and it came in today. She was mad because when they unsheathed the sword there was an inscription on it and she thought maybe someone had bought it and returned it so they got a used sword.

The inscription said "To my brother Budd, the only man I ever loved. - Bill". She had no idea.

I get that reference!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The first game I remember playing was a Mario game, one of SMB1-3 for sure since we owned them all for NES.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Braksgirl posted:

Thats amazing, though I gotta wonder why Kill Bill katanas were being sold at Epcot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Glumslinger posted:

Thats amazing, though I gotta wonder why Kill Bill katanas were being sold at Epcot

Was Kill Bill Miramax or Weinstein Bros, because if it was Miramax, Disney owns the rights.

Or her kid had seen Kill Bill and asked for that engraving.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I forgot that I actually played pong on a home pong machine once. I think a friend of my parents had it. Also had an Atari, and yes I beat ET once.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The Glumslinger posted:

I think some of those stores are not owned by Disney so they can sell pretty much whatever they want. That store also sells Sanrio and Pokemon stuff too.

Skwirl posted:

Or her kid had seen Kill Bill and asked for that engraving.

He did not ask for the engraving. They were very surprised to see it. She said they didn't really examine the sword when they bought it and of course it got packed and shipped right after they bought it. I get the impression the kid is fairly young so I doubt he's seen the movies.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BigPaddy posted:

Hockey tickets are cheap because the Coyotes suck. The area is close to State Life Stadium if you wanted to go into the Cards team shop in Glendale. Plenty of parks and trails for walking. Barrett Jackson Classic Car Auction is in Scottsdale that week. Mill St in Tempe is the student area if you want to feel old and you are close by to the Tempe “Beach” on the Salt River.

Oooh cool. Thanks! I'll see what I have time for but this is a good starter pack for me. I am likely going to drive as it doesn't seem too bad from LA and I hate fed-exing my demo package. I might even stay an extra day if I'm feeling frisky.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

I think some of those stores are not owned by Disney so they can sell pretty much whatever they want. That store also sells Sanrio and Pokemon stuff too.

I would like to purchase 1 Hello Kitty Katana please

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Hello Kitty is PISSED.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you can buy katanas at Disneyworld???????

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

While you were riding Magic Mountain, I was studying the blade.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

How else are you going to slay the hated lord of Clan Mouse who killed your Lord and left you as a Ronin?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

While you were riding Magic Mountain, I was studying the blade.

gently caress was gonna make this joke

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hello Kittori Hanzo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Man, I miss good flying games. I don’t think there many good ones on console.

I played that Chuck Yeager one in shareware, as well as this other primitive flight game called Corncob 3d that was a ton of fun.

I used to play the poo poo out of the big fighter sims like Falcon 3.0 and Tornado, and Janes Fighters Anthology was my jam. So good in multiplayer for the late 90s. They had a WW2 aerial game too that was a monster and I never quite had the horsepower to run it at full detail.

There was a fun helicopter sim too but I can’t remember the name of it. Had Apaches and Comanches and Cobras and it struck a good sim/entertainment balance. Got a lot of mileage out of that one. It might’ve been a Janes but I can’t remember right off.

Flight Simulator is on PC, Console, and might even be able to be streamed to your mobile phone and kicks loving rear end for flying around our planet and seeing it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

LeeMajors posted:

I just did some poking around and it was Gunship 2000.

gently caress that game was fun. Microprose killed it during that time.

Sid Meier’s Memoir! Is a great book about founding Microprose and what he did afterwards. It’s a fun, brisk read that a lot of people posting itt would probably get a kick out of. Great look at very early computing culture.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kalli posted:

One thing younger people will not realize is that every old pc action game was awful because PC controllers were complete and abject trash until the xbox 360 came out. Just hundreds upon hundreds of godawful pieces of poo poo that were all terrible.

Flight sticks? Awesome, an actual controller that could move a character to the left or right in a proper manner? Impossible.

This but a slight change - it's not that the controllers were trash (though they largely were), it's that controller support was incredibly hit and miss.

having the Xbox 360 pad become a default PC game pad not only meant most games supported it, but supported game pads period, which then begat developers allowing for more native support for basically all of the console controllers (especially now that many also support Bluetooth).

Barudak posted:

Flight Simulator is on PC, Console, and might even be able to be streamed to your mobile phone and kicks loving rear end for flying around our planet and seeing it.

it's also available as part of Game Pass on PC and Xbox, and can confirm it actually runs and looks good on Series S. Nothing like lawn dart'ing a luxury jet into your apartment building.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My ground floor apartment is tragically surrounded by taller buildings so I can't yeet into my place easily.

Japan related post: the gently caress is this soft bacon in my blt bullshit japan. Whys it soft

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, a bunch of the countries in EPCOT are like that. 20~ years ago, Japan was amazing for having stuff like import Gundam models and other stuff right when that was blowing up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hello Kittori Hanzo

This is an excellent joke.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drat. This old PC gaming talk brought back the most vague memory of what I think was a flight combat game that didn't run well until I got a Voodoo2 graphics card (my only wait-in-line Black Friday purchase ever).

I can't remember nearly enough to even describe it other than it was dark/set at night and was futuristic. Funny how that came back to me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Is Ace Combat 7 cool? I don't want a story with it, I just want to fly around and dogfight.

I love flying in GTA V, oddly enough.

Barudak posted:

I'm on PS4. I'd loving love it, but microsoft is almost completely empty from this household outside of my work email.

Coco13 posted:

Sid Meier’s Memoir! Is a great book about founding Microprose and what he did afterwards. It’s a fun, brisk read that a lot of people posting itt would probably get a kick out of. Great look at very early computing culture.

I'll have to check it out. Sid Meier is god to a 90s nerd like me.

Gettysburg! was fantastic too, but wasn't as legendary as his other titles.

Dango Bango posted:

drat. This old PC gaming talk brought back the most vague memory of what I think was a flight combat game that didn't run well until I got a Voodoo2 graphics card (my only wait-in-line Black Friday purchase ever).

I can't remember nearly enough to even describe it other than it was dark/set at night and was futuristic. Funny how that came back to me.

Are you talking about Descent?

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 12, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Are you talking about Descent?

No. It would've been sometime during 1999-2002. (Not that anyone needs to guess. I honestly have no idea.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I remember descent 2 having a huge ad campaign

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Is Ace Combat 7 cool? I don't want a story with it, I just want to fly around and dogfight.

AC7 rules and is a beautiful game. There’s a storyline but good luck making any sense or keeping up with it. Any exposition between missions you can skip and any that’s done during missions is while you’re flying and fighting and easy to ignore.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

AC7 rules and is a beautiful game. There’s a storyline but good luck making any sense or keeping up with it. Any exposition between missions you can skip and any that’s done during missions is while you’re flying and fighting and easy to ignore.

Cool maybe I'll pick it up.

It's weird growing up in the golden age of flight sim and not having tons of options in the goddamned future.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Longbow?

Edit dammit it's a new page and I didn't see any of the new posts lol

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 12, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

No. It would've been sometime during 1999-2002. (Not that anyone needs to guess. I honestly have no idea.)

Darklight Conflict or Incoming the Final Conflict perhaps? (I am unfamiliar with either but had a minute to look at things that might have needed a Voodoo 2 card.)

Flight sims, well modern day flight sims, always seem to be prettier than other games in whatever era we're talking about. There's a reason this happens and why you can cheat on graphics, but I don't remember what it is. I guess you mostly don't have to render much other than the planes.

I remember a couple/few years ago someone did a damned near perfect Top Gun opening sequence in some game I'd never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Did anyone play that ww2 dog fighting game about 10 years ago where you could steal enemy planes by landing at their airfield and then they'd end up in your hanger for other missions. It went right through the european campaign, to the pacific and then back to end with being able to fly a gloster meteor and me 292 etc. Now that I think about it even had missions where you were on a carrier fighting over the ocean and a lancaster bomber?