Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BrianRx posted:

I'm doing it super wrong because I've been playing it obsessively AND only started figuring out that raw damage wasn't the way to go after 50 hours, despite the signposting the game does by making you start with the cat thing that only really works if you make use of the smoke grenades with debuff ascensions. The ship boss held me up for like 20 runs until I was finally able to knock out its final stage before the arena filled with corrosive enemies and fire. I was pretty annoyed that the first time you do it your run ends, especially because I never failed to make it to the final boss after that point and only needed about three tries to defeat him. I think there's a certain point at which you're either strong enough to roll the last two areas or too weak to deal with the mobs and tougher enemies at the same time, like the lobster with mortars and fire lanterns that get spammed if you don't deal with the caster immediately.

I'm going to try to finish with all of the characters, but would playing the higher difficulties with characters I'm already familiar with be more fun? There seem to be three melee/close range characters and I'm not sure about the differences between them and didn't love the few runs I did with them. Also, the bunny one creeps me out.

Play on at least Rebirth 1 difficulty, because it opens up a lot of build options via the use of special scrolls that you can only get between biomes and they provide very drastic improvements to your abilities. Above R1 though it really depends on if you're playing solo or in a group - higher Rebirth kinda sucks with 4 players. There's nothing 'new' after R1 except for higher enemy HP scaling.

You can just hop in public games for easy wins up until the point of unlocking Rebirth difficulty if you want but I don't recommend public games for any difficulty above like R2/R3 unless you want hour-long runs full of 5-minute mag-dump sessions into HP inflated mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Seems hopeful, as there's not a ton of first person crawler style Roguelike fare:

https://aukustus.itch.io/realms-of-the-lost

This is exactly my jam and is a bunch of fun.

edit: also want to note that while the UI is oldschool you can use WSAD or the numpad to move and the mouse to attack and interact with things on the screen.

King of False Promises fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 11, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Harminoff posted:

Watched a youtube video of "The Ground Gives Way" so decided to give it a go following the setup he had. With it running from terminal, you sure can make it look nice!

I really like TGGW, the resource management is something refreshing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BrianRx posted:

I'm doing it super wrong because I've been playing it obsessively AND only started figuring out that raw damage wasn't the way to go after 50 hours, despite the signposting the game does by making you start with the cat thing that only really works if you make use of the smoke grenades with debuff ascensions. The ship boss held me up for like 20 runs until I was finally able to knock out its final stage before the arena filled with corrosive enemies and fire. I was pretty annoyed that the first time you do it your run ends, especially because I never failed to make it to the final boss after that point and only needed about three tries to defeat him. I think there's a certain point at which you're either strong enough to roll the last two areas or too weak to deal with the mobs and tougher enemies at the same time, like the lobster with mortars and fire lanterns that get spammed if you don't deal with the caster immediately.

I'm going to try to finish with all of the characters, but would playing the higher difficulties with characters I'm already familiar with be more fun? There seem to be three melee/close range characters and I'm not sure about the differences between them and didn't love the few runs I did with them. Also, the bunny one creeps me out.

yeah, there's a number of multiplicative things that aren't immediately obvious that really make certain weapons/abilities start just wiping zones. Once you learn what those are it becomes much more consistent to get wins. Once you max out the talent tree though Normal/Elite are kind of jokes tbh and really only Nightmare/Reincarnation are worth playing on, with Reincarnation 1 (R1) being preferred over Nightmare because Spiritual Blessings are awesome and fun to play with. I'd say push through Nightmare if you can once you have most of the talent tree filled out, you don't necessarily have to play all the characters to do so, just play your favorite to get Reincarnation unlocked.

I will say that Bunny is one of my favorite characters along with Bird and Turtle, but if you think her current iteration is off putting just check my post history in this thread to find out exactly how much worse it was on her release. Her current appearance is downright appealing compared to what it previously was.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 12, 2022

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Harminoff posted:

Watched a youtube video of "The Ground Gives Way" so decided to give it a go following the setup he had. With it running from terminal, you sure can make it look nice!

Has this been in active development? I remember trying it forever ago and being like "wow, this feels like a paradigm shift in the classic roguelike formula", but I haven't really heard anything of it or anything inheriting from it since then.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's still being worked on, yes.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

I will say that Bunny is one of my favorite characters along with Bird and Turtle, but if you think her current iteration is off putting just check my post history in this thread to find out exactly how much worse it was on her release. Her current appearance is downright appealing compared to what it previously was.

Any tips for Bunny or the other two you mentioned? I've been playing mostly with the lighting cat as a sniper and got my first successful run with magic cat using whatever weapon had the highest non-corrosive elemental chance. The... bear seems pretty straightforward, either specialize in explosives or dual wielding (I think they're mostly exclusive). The others feel pretty slow considering you need to get in close to do damage. I started using the shotguns after initially dismissing them, but run out of steam as combat gets longer ranged in the latter two zones. One guy has a shield that helps, but karate bird and the bunny take a lot of hits trying to get close. It's odd that the fastest character is the one most suitable for sniper builds.

Also, I got really lucky with scrolls and weapons on my last run and was able to do over a million damage with crits from the goshawk. I managed to kill the final boss before the timer ran out, which I've never come close to doing in about five successful runs. Never was in danger of being downed, either.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 12, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BrianRx posted:

Any tips for Bunny or the other two you mentioned? I've been playing mostly with the lighting cat as a sniper and got my first successful run with magic cat using whatever weapon had the highest non-corrosive elemental chance. The... bear seems pretty straightforward, either specialize in explosives or dual wielding (I think they're mostly exclusive). The others feel pretty slow considering you need to get in close to do damage. I started using the shotguns after initially dismissing them, but run out of steam as combat gets longer ranged in the latter two zones. One guy has a shield that helps, but karate bird and the bunny take a lot of hits trying to get close. It's odd that the fastest character is the one most suitable for sniper builds.

Also, I got really lucky with scrolls and weapons on my last run and was able to do over a million damage with crits from the goshawk. I managed to kill the final boss before the timer ran out, which I've never come close to doing in about five successful runs. Never was in danger of being downed, either.

Sure! I will start with while most heros get significantly stronger with their hero specific talents, Bunny in particular needs her final hero talent to really shine. Uninterruptable shield regen on kill is pretty much the only thing which lets her get away with playing close range. For her primary skill early on you should use it for helping to kill big targets or clear groups, with the only cavet being don't be afraid to just cast it with only a few stacks to kill a single small enemy or two. The swords are a lot of damage early on! Later they should mostly be used as a supplement DPS with casting them primarily being used to make use of scaling ascensions that enhance the rest of your damage too.

Ascension wise if you see Sword Guard (+shield per sword cast) always when you see it, with my preferred build involving the +weapon damage per sword cast, the +max & min sword stacks, +swords per sword stack and then whatever else that looks good. I typically ignore Fatal Bloom (secondary skill) ascensions unless they're the only thing offered, and then I prefer Curse Bloom the most out of those.

For occult scrolls I'm not going to get too specific other than to note that if you see Against the Flow, take it. Singlehandedly the strongest scroll on Bunny, no contest. My preferred Bunny build makes use of big mag size weapons so you never stop firing or run out of ammo once you get AtF. Any weapon that you can get above 100 mag size will basically have unlimited ammo. Bunny is the heavy gunner of the characters imo, even more so than Dog, and solves her problem with lots of bullets. Have fun with it!

If you want more specific words on the subject, check out my posts in the Gunfire thread. There's a lot of words I posted already over there for the various characters.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

TGGW really really needs a mobile port :colbert:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm just glad it still lives with v2.6 almost Almost there now.

It ambles casually, yet purposefully, onward while Forays Into Norrendrin slumbers in grace.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

Sure! I will start with while most heros get significantly stronger with their hero specific talents, Bunny in particular needs her final hero talent to really shine. Uninterruptable shield regen on kill is pretty much the only thing which lets her get away with playing close range. For her primary skill early on you should use it for helping to kill big targets or clear groups, with the only cavet being don't be afraid to just cast it with only a few stacks to kill a single small enemy or two. The swords are a lot of damage early on! Later they should mostly be used as a supplement DPS with casting them primarily being used to make use of scaling ascensions that enhance the rest of your damage too.

Ascension wise if you see Sword Guard (+shield per sword cast) always when you see it, with my preferred build involving the +weapon damage per sword cast, the +max & min sword stacks, +swords per sword stack and then whatever else that looks good. I typically ignore Fatal Bloom (secondary skill) ascensions unless they're the only thing offered, and then I prefer Curse Bloom the most out of those.

For occult scrolls I'm not going to get too specific other than to note that if you see Against the Flow, take it. Singlehandedly the strongest scroll on Bunny, no contest. My preferred Bunny build makes use of big mag size weapons so you never stop firing or run out of ammo once you get AtF. Any weapon that you can get above 100 mag size will basically have unlimited ammo. Bunny is the heavy gunner of the characters imo, even more so than Dog, and solves her problem with lots of bullets. Have fun with it!

If you want more specific words on the subject, check out my posts in the Gunfire thread. There's a lot of words I posted already over there for the various characters.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I just cleared it two more times so I'll give that character a go with all that in mind

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm late to the party on rift wizard, school me on getting my first win.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Help, someone give me good advice for Rift Wizard. And not like a hyper specific build, the internet has plenty of those, but every time I try to experiment and go off-track, which is to say *dare* try and upgrade a lowlevel spell instead of buying a ton of passives, I get my poo poo pushed in. Hell, I get my poo poo pushed in even when following guides, it just happens in the mid to late game instead. I'm usually dying to a build that never turns on since I'm being too greedy, or conversely being too safe and never getting the big highlvl passives, or it turns on elegantly then eventually falls over since having only ~2 damage types is a ticking time bomb until I get literally forced into a rift with double/triple immunes in it. Or it turns on, and I buy utility/safetly net stuff like blink & mega annihilate, but then I've fallen behind again. Etc.

It's a good game, I think, but it's really frustrating at times.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
You need to identify two things:
- what is your long term combo that will scale to lategame? This is usually something you chose early and is usually linked to abusing some passive skill. There are way more viable builds than most people realize.
- what are your weaknesses/problems right now? Often you can't beeline for the end game combo and will need some early game spells to get far enough. Usually this depends on the circles you encounter. Example: if I encounter a sorcery circle early I'll often get annihilate (and choas barrage) regardless of long term plans , but I will have no plans to upgrade them.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The most consistent wins I had on RW were going for early Arch Sorcerer.
Grab a trio of cantrips with your first orbs, I usually do fireball/lightning and either magic missile or icicle.
Then immediately grab Arch Sorcerer. The first couple rifts before that can be a bit rough but careful play and a consumable can carry you.
You get a large power spike that means all future sorcery spells are buffed, so you can then build into pretty much anything based on circles found. Usually it ends up being a lightning build as that's always powerful.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wolfer got me my first win because it forced me to focus on how to make that spell work.

random protips:
- buying spells does not use a turn
- I always check what the next rifts contain before choosing what to do on the current rift
- redealt damage counts as a multihit for things like shields and vampire resurrections

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Use your consumables!" is standard advice in roguelikes but in Rift Wizard I want to point out that many of the consumables have a significant power dropoff later in a run.

It's very valuable to get a "free" level off your Dragon Horn or something early on and give yourself breathing room on health/casts/orbs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

I'm late to the party on rift wizard, school me on getting my first win.

This run was my first win and also the build is hilarious and extremely strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAavMB2gNoM

Get Chain Lightning. Get all the upgrades for it but especially the one that makes it jump to clouds. Pray for the shrine that makes chain lightning spawn clouds on hit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So I picked up Crown Trick because it's free on Game Pass, it's pretty straightforward, I'm having fun... but an enemy attack busted open a secret room in a wall. Do I really have to check every drat wall Gungeon/Isaac style?!

(no other spoilers plz I like to stay blind but googling that would definitely put me down a rabbit hole.)

edit: also holy poo poo this fight is kicking my rear end it doesn't even feel remotely on par with everything else's power level up to now (the dark crown)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 14, 2022

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Enjoying Chrono Ark a lot even though I haven't managed to clear the Forgotten King yet. It's definitely a really interesting take on the card-based roguelike with the party system and the overload mechanic so it's not always about endlessly cycling your deck.

The VN add-on is no joke too. I think I was expecting just a cutscene but they're building up a entire death game in there.

Edit: I keep getting the secret boss for the second area. I'm on 3/4 witch kills to unlock the character :negative:

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 13, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think Rift Wizard has had significant balance changes since i 100%'d it but it's probably still applicable to say: exploit spells / skils that let you kill stuff from outside line of sight. when enemies can see you, you have to think carefully about every single step to avoid unnecessary damage or getting put into a situation you can't recover from. if you can snipe enemies when they can't even see you, you don't have to think nearly as much and can win with far less ironclad play

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
This is a rather specific tip, but every win I ever had in Rift Wizard was off the back of Earthen Sentinel. The rock is your friend.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

nrook posted:

This is a rather specific tip, but every win I ever had in Rift Wizard was off the back of Earthen Sentinel. The rock is your friend.

Nightmare Aura forever. Get the radius improvement and you will never waste spells on small fry again. I prefer the lightning dream for cleaning any survivors up.

Earthen Sentinel, huh? Do you give it poison sting or something?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
This is why Lightning seems to be consistently strong. Arc/chain/heavenly all let you hit stuff from out of sight, so provided you have enough casts you're rarely at risk.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

habituallyred posted:

Nightmare Aura forever. Get the radius improvement and you will never waste spells on small fry again. I prefer the lightning dream for cleaning any survivors up.

Earthen Sentinel, huh? Do you give it poison sting or something?

Nah, I usually don’t give it anything. Earthen Sentinel has a lot of HP and does a lot of damage. You can drop it next to a gate and it’ll almost certainly kill it; plus, often enemies will attack the rock instead of you. Very useful and efficient in the early game. I find it gives me enough room to save up for a “Lord” skill or other expensive skill early, which then lets me get the ball rolling and pays off down the line.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lightning storm with blindcasting is pretty good on lightning builds as well, especially combined with the cloud bouncing for chain lightning. I’m bad at summons in general, I should give sentinel (and wolfer) a try.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big fan of Word of Beauty in Rift Wizard if you've got the orbs for it-- it effectively gives you 2 health potions per each mana potion.

*Note: I'm not good at this game and have only cleared it once, take my advice with seas of salt

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Rify wizard: Nightmare aura is pretty great - it also has a lot of magic types so finding a circle for it is pretty likely at the start, plus the summons at the end stays relevant till the endgame. Death bolt -> nightmare aura is a pretty solid start.

Aether swap is probably the best translocation spell as well - cheap, long range and has combat utility.

I've won ~7 games, all some variation of summoner. A wolfer run, an eye run, chaos imp buddies, and using restless dead and / or blue lions / seraph, etc. About done with a void drake run now.

I haven't really gotten a pure blaster build up yet, I feel like it's much safer and stronger to have persistent allies on the field.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I got a couple wins in and thought I was getting pretty good at Rift Wizard but nope, I am really really bad at Rift Wizard.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I've only out about fifteen hours in and having gotten as far as level six can confirm: I. Bad at rift wizard.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Duderclese posted:

I've only out about fifteen hours in and having gotten as far as level six can confirm: I. Bad at rift wizard.

I love Rift Wizard but I always get paralyzed by the sheer variety of choices and never settle on a build.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My problem with Rift Wizard is looking at a cool thing, having a fun time thinking up what combos would work with it, and then going "oh, it does [damage type], useless" where [damage type] is literally all of them

Love how they made it a requirement to kill every single creature to progress, but also here's a creature that has 100% resist to six different elements, eat poo poo

e: The best example of this is Melting Armor, which reduces fire resist, awesome! Except it reduces fire resist when they take fire damage, so it does nothing against fire immunity.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

megane posted:

e: The best example of this is Melting Armor, which reduces fire resist, awesome! Except it reduces fire resist when they take fire damage, so it does nothing against fire immunity.

One of my truly blessed runs in Rift Wizard was finding a shrine that allowed one of my skills to reduce certain resistances by 25%. This dropped fire immune enemies under 100% so that I could Melting Armor them down to -300% in no time. Not the most reliable strategy, but certainly one that felt incredible.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

^Adding on to the fun is your summons will refuse to target immune enemies even if they could redeal alternate damage. e.g. a Lightning Spire with Holy Thunder will just sit there even though it could be Holy'ing that Spiked Ball to death.

I really like the game but there's a lot of silly gotchas that need to be worked out.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's because, hilariously, "redeal" does the amount of damage you did with the first damage type. Which is zero. So Holy Thunder, a skill that seems like a way for lightning spells to get around lightning immunity, does not bypass lightning immunity.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Huh, as far as I know, 'redeal' considers the damage of the attack, irrespective of resistances. I'm pretty sure I'm killing lightning immune enemies with Lightning Bolt upgraded with Energy Bolt (+fire and arcane). Minions don't follow this logic though IMO they really should.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Right, there are two different effects there. Some things (like those Lightning Bolt upgrades) say "Lightning Bolt also deals holy and dark damage" while others say "Lightning damage is redealt as holy damage." The former will go through lightning immunity, while I'm pretty sure the latter won't.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 14, 2022

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I haven’t had too many problems with resistances in Rift Wizard, you just need to be willing to a) have some way of dealing more than one kind of damage, b) use your consumables liberally and c) back off from rifts you can’t win (using portal disruptors or similar if necessary).

I still lose constantly, it’s just not because of resistances.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah, the whole reason fire is arguably the best element is that Fiery Judgement gives all your fire spells holy damage, Starfire arcane, and cracklevoid lightning. You can damage everything in the game. although bringing a fire build to a Chronos fight is probably a bad idea if you can't reduce his fire resistance from 100% somehow, seeing as he's an absolutely enormous bag of hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks for all the advice guys! Still getting self blown up regularly.

The immunity thing is imo a good attempt at design that's presented to the player in a hostile way. I think the idea for a lot of strategic-level decisions regarding bad rifts, and if you avoid them with consumables or alter your build or whatever. There's this thing some action-y games have where "you don't alter your play compared to the monsters, the monsters alter their dying compared to your build", so its refreshing to see a game with very loud stop signs in it. Still feels bad when you're presented with a no-win scenario and the answer is "shoulda thought about that 2 rifts ago!".

Had an absolutely splendid dragons-only build that ended when I thought "I can wait a turn for that hp potion, there is absolutely no reason for that dragon-ally to breathe in my direction" and I was immediately proven wrong.