Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I think I had like 4 slots go to 38? RNG be rng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My worst was the Cunning 7 in my second ring which went eighty-one failures before it affixed. :argh:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i blew up 57 combat materia X on a 10% chance, then completely gave up pentamelding for combat gear!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I recently made 90 on BLM and do I just use Paradox to replace F1, or is there some other place to work it into the rotation? I'm not quite sure how to take full advantage of it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok so I recently made 90 on BLM and do I just use Paradox to replace F1, or is there some other place to work it into the rotation? I'm not quite sure how to take full advantage of it.

you get a free instant one when you switch to ice so use it then too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Paradox in Fire form replaces F1, in ice form you can use it as a free insta cast if you need it and otherwise just use it before you swap.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nice. I didn't realize in ice it was an instant. Thanks

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/okuudere/status/1481036508282998784?t=y2fSE4wqGrnbHHKj49q9Qg&s=19

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Finally hit the gil cap. I came back to FFXIV after quitting in ARR, and restarting in Shadowbringers 5.0 with just 250k. Managed to make 605 million from then to April 2020, came back late November 2021 and finished the goal. Being at the start of the initial expansion release and the first savage patch was a massive boon. I still remember when I started out I would buy normal rings from the Uldah vendor and sell them for like 5-10k more than what they were worth. And early crafting poo poo like cotton shepard slops for 20k which did actually sell for that in 5.0.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why the gently caress are we struggling growing onions when you can just buy them all for us

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Awesome! posted:

why the gently caress are we struggling growing onions when you can just buy them all for us

Never have i taken an onion from the FC, but I regret not buying every onion available on all of Primal before Endwalker cause that would have made a killing.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

making gil: ez - what u do with that gil :madmax:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Wait, is this the optimal opener/rotation now? lmao

What a world we live in.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think what they should do is either make Despair consume your umbral hearts, or make you only gain a paradox marker if you swap from fire to ice with no umbral hearts remaining.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
if i'm reading that rotation right, they aren't gaining any umbral hearts, ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurieg posted:

if i'm reading that rotation right, they aren't gaining any umbral hearts, ever.

That's the no blizzard meme rotation, not to be confused with the no Fire 4 meme rotation.

Black Mage is so cursed this expansion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

no blizzard is the realm of weirdos with broken brains who take it as a personal insult that the traitor yoship stole the no-b4 rotation from them, and devote an unhealthy amount of time to contrarian sickness

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's the no blizzard meme rotation, not to be confused with the no Fire 4 meme rotation.

Black Mage is so cursed this expansion.

I haven't hit cap yet (too busy at work to play much) so I haven't delved into the BLM theorycrafting much, are either of those rotations actually any good?

From a completely surface-level perspective it seemed like the new optimal rotation would be the same as the old one, only with paradox in ice, more triplecast sequences and an extra firestarter proc from the 2nd sharpcast but... now I'm kind of scared.

e: oh man wait was the no-b4 rotation the freeze one? People actually enjoyed doing that on purpose instead of just as a backup when you messed up?

troofs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 12, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

what I wanna know is who is buying all the drat materia there can't be that many pentameld crafters

I'm sure plenty of people are just quad or partially pentamelding to hit certain breakpoints so they can easily do personal crafting.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I love BLM but it is a definitely not a straightforward job. I'll be curious how they are going to adjust it in 6.08.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

troofs posted:

Wait, is this the optimal opener/rotation now? lmao

What a world we live in.

It's a meme opener as part of the joke. I'm not sure how exactly this opener compares to a more reasonable one, but I don't think it's meant to be serious anyways.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wait I'm just beginning the omnicrafting trail do I have to do all this insane pentamelding poo poo if I just wanna make my alt jobs some 580 gear or whatever

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

acumen posted:

Wait I'm just beginning the omnicrafting trail do I have to do all this insane pentamelding poo poo if I just wanna make my alt jobs some 580 gear or whatever

You'll need to slap an extra one or two materia onto the gear you eventually make for yourself, and eat some fancy food, but it's really not as bad as all that. You can get away with using cheaper materia from the previous tier, and you'll earn a bunch of materia just from crafting the stuff as you level, so it's only a little bit of work and calculation to get your gear in the shape to make the crafted 580.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They should just raise the potency of Blizzard 4 so you really want to cast it, but give it a cooldown to control the optimal length of the Astral Fire phase. IMO.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
And (from my understanding) getting that first and even second extra meld isn't nearly as painful as the fourth and fifth.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maxing out crafting gear pentamelds is more about easily hammering out HQ gear without HQ materials or food.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clarste posted:

They should just raise the potency of Blizzard 4 so you really want to cast it, but give it a cooldown to control the optimal length of the Astral Fire phase. IMO.

I mean if you wanna control things that much, than let's just get full on magical skill chains. Be way cooler and would ensure that you have to cast various spells. :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

While we're talking about crafting and melding: I just hit omnicrafter 90 (while still in 5.2 MSQ -- thanks, GC turn-ins!) and would like to start doing Firmament expert crafts for achievements. I made myself a full set of i560 crafter gear, but what should I be looking for with melds? Obviously I'd prefer not to penta for stuff I'll surely be replacing soon enough, but is just throwing what Control and CP stuff that I can in going to be adequate for those crafts, assuming I'm also using ShB-grade food and potions?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

FeatherFloat posted:

You'll need to slap an extra one or two materia onto the gear you eventually make for yourself, and eat some fancy food, but it's really not as bad as all that. You can get away with using cheaper materia from the previous tier, and you'll earn a bunch of materia just from crafting the stuff as you level, so it's only a little bit of work and calculation to get your gear in the shape to make the crafted 580.

Okay that's great I'm already just throwing VIII's in all my combat jobs anyway, those X's are expensive as poo poo and I don't raid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

And (from my understanding) getting that first and even second extra meld isn't nearly as painful as the fourth and fifth.

Assuming 2-slot pentameldable items (the current crafted gear)
First 2 slots: free, they're already open.
Third slot: 17%, can be X/XIII/VI (as well as others)
Fourth slot: 10%, can only be XI/VII/V (or lower, IV on down have no restrictions)
Fifth slot: 7%, same restrictions as fourth.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Those percentages only apply for V on up. I to IV have better meld chances (I think lower the better but realistically you're only using IVs because it's the cheapest/easiest to get).

Those numbers are also for 2 free slot gear. For 1 free slot the 4th overmeld drops to 5% for V on up. Pretty relevant for right side stuff which is BiS for quite awhile on crafter/gatherer at least.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 12, 2022

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you can use ariyalas toolkit to see what the chances are for each slot on their meld planner

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Also forget to mention that you guys blowing up 30 to 50 materia at once don't know how good you have it.

The previous meld all option had you sequentially perform each meld animation until success.

The system before that didn't let you mass meld, each failure also put you back in the menu and had you select the item -> materia -> confirm meld again (after being animation locked into the hang-head ball-explosion pose for multiple seconds)

The system before that required carbonized matter as a consumable reagent matching the tier of a meld.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yes! Now we can explode all our materia in one simple click!

The RNG for it (and other things in this game TBH) is pretty swingy. I re-melded my gathering gear today to hit a silly perception breakpoint, and one attempt would demolish a stack of 30-40, and then the next would affix in 1. Melding! Because gently caress you, that's why!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Just swap to MCH, he's weak vs Chainsaw

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 12, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Algid posted:

The system before that didn't let you mass meld, each failure also put you back in the menu and had you select the item -> materia -> confirm meld again (after being animation locked into the hang-head ball-explosion pose for multiple seconds)

Never forget that there was a single, hilarious way to circumvent this: Realm Reborn Red, the champagne bottle consumable, overwrites all other animations while it's playing, meaning that you could, if you were quick enough, pop the cork and then absolutely hammer the meld button to fit as many attempts in as you could.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

Never forget that there was a single, hilarious way to circumvent this: Realm Reborn Red, the champagne bottle consumable, overwrites all other animations while it's playing, meaning that you could, if you were quick enough, pop the cork and then absolutely hammer the meld button to fit as many attempts in as you could.

The most festive way I've ever heard to blow up a bunch of gil

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

dunno what this is, but good meme. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Updated my Paglth'an Summoner look with the recently farmed Darklight gloves/boots. Well worth the 30+ runs for them to drop.

Tyberius fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 12, 2022