Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Please cut carefully, this ham is a rental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They're coming to repossess my ham

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

am i the only one who wants architecture to move beyond standard brick buildings?

Everything here is made of twigs and drywall, I would love for us to move back to standard brick buildings.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

How does the USA being big stop your cities from having decent public transportation? That only seems like a ( bad ) argument for why there's no high-speed rail cross-country

See my post that first brought this up. We had this key decision, went all-in on highways, and now everything (including local transit) has to be ultra-car-focused as a result. Why bother to build light rail if everyone has a car (and everyone has to have a car) and people are just going to drive here with their car and drive around once they get here with their car etc.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I'm not saying it's a good reason or justified or anything it's just sorta what happened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Didn't I see a video where there was an Amtrak class that was just a tiny room smaller than even a solitary jail cell that consists of a closet a seat and a toilet and that's your accommodations for 57 hours???

Also it cost like 4x the comparable plane ticket

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Didn't I see a video where there was an Amtrak class that was just a tiny room smaller than even a solitary jail cell that consists of a closet a seat and a toilet and that's your accommodations for 57 hours???

Also it cost like 4x the comparable plane ticket

I don't think Amtrak rooms have toilets, maybe the big ones do idk. The small staterooms have two seats that face each other and a little table, and the seats fold down into a bed. It's a lil' cramped but nice, I've taken one before. You generally don't spend all your time in the room either, you go to the lounge car or the observation car or something.

Idk it's definitely not cost-effective at all but I think everyone should take a long train ride at least one time if they can it's nice :shrug:

e: The technology connections guy did a pretty good video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDV1R1j1n5I

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember being a little aspie teen on a 14 hour Amtrak ride in 2000 or 99 or 2001 and we got stuck on a siding outside of Altoona for 6 hours and all the employees came through and apologized so much and gave us free cups of hot chocolate and I was like yes I love trains I love the idea of Amtrak I appreciate how much the Amtrak people care about our well-being I love this cup of instant hot chocolate but gently caress, this loving sucks. This just loving sucks. No matter how much you try to spin it, no matter how positive you are, this train is garbage, and being stuck on a siding for 6 hours is garbage.

Fly. Always fly. I've done 12 hour plus rides on Amtrak more than 20 times. I've been on a train through West Virginia where the leaves were changing colors and were achingly beautiful and I looked out at them through the observation car and even saw a bear! It still sucked. gently caress Amtrak. Not gently caress trains, not gently caress the concept of train travel, gently caress Amtrak. You aren't missing anything. It's a Grayhound bus on tracks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Jan 12, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I remember being a little aspie teen on a 14 hour Amtrak ride in 2000 or 99 or 2001 and we got stuck on a siding outside of Altoona for 6 hours and all the employees came through and apologized so much and gave us free cups of hot chocolate and I was like yes I love trains I love the idea of Amtrak I appreciate how much the Amtrak people care about our well-being I love this cup of instant hot chocolate but gently caress, this loving sucks. This just loving sucks. No matter how much you try to spin it, no matter how positive you are, this train is garbage, and being stuck on a siding for 6 hours is garbage.

Fly. Always fly. I've done 12 hour plus rides on Amtrak more than 20 times. I've been on a train through West Virginia where the leaves were changing colors and were achingly beautiful and I looked out at them through the observation car and even saw a bear! It still sucked. gently caress Amtrak. Not gently caress trains, not gently caress the concept of train travel, gently caress Amtrak. You aren't missing anything. It's a Grayhound bus on tracks.

Okay but tell me about your dream Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think Amtrak rooms have toilets, maybe the big ones do idk.

https://youtu.be/agz6Y6-UaH4

This is what I was thinking about. Love crossing the country in an airplane bathroom.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Again I'm not anti-train. I'm anti-Amtrak in its current state. I want something better.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CN sleepers are wonderful. I wouldn’t fly cross country again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://youtu.be/agz6Y6-UaH4

This is what I was thinking about. Love crossing the country in an airplane bathroom.

That just seems like they tried to cram too much stuff into way too small a room yeah.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's not Amtrak's fault that it sucks. It's underfunded, it can't go fast due to freight trains, every bit of its infrastructure and rolling stock is old.

But I'm sick of being told that if I don't support Amtrak then I don't support railroads in this country. I want more passenger rail, but I don't want more lovely Amtrak trains where the main amenity is a cafe car where you purchase two microwaved White Castle burgers for $10. I want some actual decent passenger rail with comforts and quality service and such. Why is that so horrible? Why is asking for something like that such a terrible thing in this supposedly rich country??

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
You don't need to be so defensive. We're on your side. Better train now

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's not Amtrak's fault that it sucks. It's underfunded, it can't go fast due to freight trains, every bit of its infrastructure and rolling stock is old.

But I'm sick of being told that if I don't support Amtrak then I don't support railroads in this country. I want more passenger rail, but I don't want more lovely Amtrak trains where the main amenity is a cafe car where you purchase two microwaved White Castle burgers for $10. I want some actual decent passenger rail with comforts and quality service and such. Why is that so horrible? Why is asking for something like that such a terrible thing in this supposedly rich country??

building and maintaining infrastructure is impossible in a collapsing country

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

papa horny michael posted:

You don't need to be so defensive. We're on your side.

I'm not

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Why you hate trains teriyaki?!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I would live in a cross-country broom closet for a week and enjoy it.

I would not, however, pay extra for the privilege.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Abongination posted:

Why you hate trains teriyaki?!

I am waiting for the youtubers who "discover" the beauty of taking a Greyhound bus from Galveston to Rochester

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
leave it to the capitalism thread to cause an underfunded amtrak derail

:dadjoke:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"We can send a metal can full of people to the moon, land it there, bring it back, and not have them die, oh and have done that fifty years ago, but public transport is just too hard" -- Americans

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Also lmao forever at whoever it was that said "oh the cities are too far apart" -- uhh yeah so you have plenty of space to run lines in and you can crank them up to like 400 km/h. I mean Japan managed to build shinkansen lines through mountains and above rivers and under cities, you're not saying that Japan is better than you are you ??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

leave it to the capitalism thread to cause an underfunded amtrak derail

:dadjoke:

If I was better funded I'd definitely cause fewer derails

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Okay but tell me about your dream Frasier episode where Frasier and Bulldog oil their heads and then rub them together

i've tried asking them about this before and they simply won't discuss their steamy headrubbing fantasies. sorry bud

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

i've tried asking them about this before and they simply won't discuss their steamy headrubbing fantasies. sorry bud

this stnks! this is total b.s.!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weatherman posted:

"We can send a metal can full of people to the moon, land it there, bring it back, and not have them die, oh and have done that fifty years ago, but public transport is just too hard" -- Americans

The entire budget for the moon landing adjusted for inflation is $280 billion, which is enough to build like 75 miles of America-priced subway tunnels.

Weatherman posted:

Also lmao forever at whoever it was that said "oh the cities are too far apart" -- uhh yeah so you have plenty of space to run lines in and you can crank them up to like 400 km/h. I mean Japan managed to build shinkansen lines through mountains and above rivers and under cities, you're not saying that Japan is better than you are you ??

What I said was that because we're so far apart in the 40's and 50's we were confronted with the choice to build either more and better rail or go whole-hog on cars and we chose the latter for industrial money and hitler reasons and now it's been baked in for 80 years and nearly impossible to undo. I'm not sure why everyone's reading it as "it's literally impossible to build any kind of infrastructure besides roads if your country has cities more than 20 miles apart!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Why do I recognize this from somewhere

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Why do I recognize this from somewhere

We've all had that dream

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Outside of China what countries are way larger than the US? And have excellent nationwide public transporation?

China, Russia (and even Canada, though not by much) all have better public transport than the US.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 08:42 on Jan 12, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generally the drunker the polity the better the public transport: wisconsin is an outrageous exception to this

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

What I said was that because we're so far apart in the 40's and 50's we were confronted with the choice to build either more and better rail or go whole-hog on cars and we chose the latter for industrial money and hitler reasons and now it's been baked in for 80 years and nearly impossible to undo. I'm not sure why everyone's reading it as "it's literally impossible to build any kind of infrastructure besides roads if your country has cities more than 20 miles apart!!"

That was someone else

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Outside of China what countries are way larger than the US? And have excellent nationwide public transporation?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Minecraft Holmes posted:

That was someone else

Oh ok, my mistake :shobon:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

30.5 Days posted:

I would live in a cross-country broom closet for a week and enjoy it.

I would not, however, pay extra for the privilege.

Glad somebody has this thought too. If amtrack was, like, 90% cheaper I'd gladly ride the lovely train from coast to coast. We're goons God drat it, you too good to play Civ 15 hours a day?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

generally the drunker the polity the better the public transport: wisconsin is an outrageous exception to this

Does anyone in America give a gently caress about drunk driving? I'm Irish, where drunk driving is almost non-existent, but spend a lot of time in NY where the amount of drunk driving dudes is horrifying to me. Like why the gently caress are you driving to the bar lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fame Douglas posted:

China, Russia (and even Canada, though not by much) all have better public transport than the US.

Also Europe is size-comparable to the US and there is absolutely no comparison on public transport

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Does anyone in America give a gently caress about drunk driving? I'm Irish, where drunk driving is almost non-existent, but spend a lot of time in NY where the amount of drunk driving dudes is horrifying to me. Like why the gently caress are you driving to the bar lmao

Because it saves like $15, so its impossible to tell if its bad or not etc.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

And here I was thinking drunk driving could cost me thousands and thousands of dollars, like a sucker

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Americans always assume things are just that bad everywhere else too, like yeah great that you made a dumb decision in the 50s, that’s 70 years ago stop being dumb and fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Does anyone in America give a gently caress about drunk driving?

Yeah, they won't let you into Canada if you've been convicted.