Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I'm seeing double, 4 of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
crts are cool and I respect them but I've downloaded roms of games I already own just because I didn't feel like plugging the console in and I'd do it again

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i hurt my back moving my CRT last time lol :corsair:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i took one of my crts to a friends house on the weekend and ran a point blank tournament with prizes

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i hurt my back moving my CRT last time lol :corsair:

think I told this story but we moved over the pandemic and when we got to our house i searched facebook market and found a 32 inch sony wega CRT and when picking it up I caused like... thousands of dollars of damage to my girlfriends car trying to get it in the backseat. She got so pissed off lmfao. I bent the door, scratched the car and the seats got all hosed up, and the guy helping me carry it got a hernia. Overall it was worth it lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

think I told this story but we moved over the pandemic and when we got to our house i searched facebook market and found a 32 inch sony wega CRT and when picking it up I caused like... thousands of dollars of damage to my girlfriends car trying to get it in the backseat. She got so pissed off lmfao. I bent the door, scratched the car and the seats got all hosed up, and the guy helping me carry it got a hernia. Overall it was worth it lol

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A couple years ago I found a 32 inch Trinitron on Craigslist and got my girlfriend to help me pick it up, we had an awful time getting it in the car and then getting it home and then the basement flooded and it got damaged before I could even use it. She was really mad lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Year 1 of retro gaming: PS2 looks a little blurry on my HDTV but it’s cool that I can play Burnout 3 again

Year 5:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A couple years ago I found a 32 inch Trinitron on Craigslist and got my girlfriend to help me pick it up, we had an awful time getting it in the car and then getting it home and then the basement flooded and it got damaged before I could even use it. She was really mad lol

I had one of those and it burned out out of nowhere when I was in a 3rd story apartment and hauled that stupid thing down three flights of stairs, a shame really

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Year 1 of retro gaming: PS2 looks a little blurry on my HDTV but it’s cool that I can play Burnout 3 again

Year 5:

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this conversation just got me hype enough to buy a 3rd crt on fb marketplace lol. i cant wait to move out of my 1br apartment and start running my ideal setup

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you're playing Chrono Trigger on a CRT that's sitting on top of another CRT, you might be a retro gamer

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:patriot:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

steamworld dig. cute little game, worth the like buck i spent on it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

steamworld dig. cute little game, worth the like buck i spent on it

wait til you play the sequel

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The sequel is legitimately great. I'm probably at that "been so long since I've played it I've forgotten everything" stage where I'll go back and replay it soon.

Just did the same thing with Yoku's Island last year and it was just as great as I remembered.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

American McGay posted:

The sequel is legitimately great. I'm probably at that "been so long since I've played it I've forgotten everything" stage where I'll go back and replay it soon.

Just did the same thing with Yoku's Island last year and it was just as great as I remembered.

it may be the perfect Metroidvania imo

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

2) Death's Door (All Achieves)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CRT ftw

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
1) Nier replicant (all endings): the music is so good, ending E was cool, makes me want to replay automata and see the refs I missed the first time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That final dungeon is so bad and it’s completely meaningless to the story. The actual story as it relates to the characters and everything that came before it is finished and then Steven just shows up out of nowhere as everyone is celebrating and says “good work nanashi. But if you want to put this game on your Games Beat list there’s one more thing you must do…”

Lol. It owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ring King

despite all the early censorship in NES games, this data east gem is a cozy slice of life story with lots of LBGTQA representation. you play as the secret, gay, jacked, red-headed mario brother. all of the characters are men and they all want to suck and gently caress each other. sometimes in the middle of a match, the opponents stop just give each other a life-recovering hug. in between rounds, you can mash the buttons to get a blowjob from some kind of Mini-Me clone of yourself and recover your health:

my principal complaint about this game is the pacing. the players have three stats and when you create your character (and give him a name, which is cool), you start with nine points, which is fewer points than even the rookies have in the game's career mode. you can choose from a 2 player match, a practice, a tournament, the ranking career mode (which has 3 different levels and 5 matches in each level). the game's movement isn't 1 for 1 - your player moves vaguely in the direction you press on on the D pad. missing enough times can eat as much health as getting hit, so it's important to be precise with your strikes instead of mashing buttons, which took me an embarrassingly long time to learn. you can either KO the opponent just by hitting them hard, reduce their health to zero and get an auto KO, or get the most hits in six rounds to win.

that's all fine and it plays well once you get used to it. it's also a cool idea that you gain points to put into your 3 stats as you win matches (which you can "save" by using a password), but this is where the game falls apart for me. it takes 3 matches before you get any points, and you only get ONE. and even the weakest boxer in a non-practice match starts with more points than you. i tried to grit my teeth and start on ranked, but after winning two matches, i realized it was going to take forever, so i grabbed the password and went to the practice mode. practically speaking, that's unfortunately the best strategy - to grind. i felt like i had experienced all the game had to offer after one match with a guy who was stronger than me (going up against guys with your stats or less is kind of a joke), so the rest of this felt like a slog. plus, the best strategy once you get a little ahead on points is to put all of them into speed, get a few good hits on your opponent early, and then just avoid them for six rounds.

also, i wanted to give my guy other funny meme names, so for awhile i thought the password system was busted, because it actually uses the name you enter as part of the password.

lots of cool ideas dragged down by one aspect of the execution again. i think if they'd given you points every match, made it more like 3 per win, and started you a little higher, it would have been way cooler.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

1. 1/07: Cruis’n Blast
2. 1/11: Halo Infinite

Cruis’n Blast is so good, I got it for my son and wound up playing it a lot on my own to keep unlocking cars and helping him get the keys and stuff. Ton of content, runs great, lot of fun.

I was pretty psyched to start Halo but it got pretty boring in the middle and pretty bad by the end. I’m glad the multi is fun (far from flawless) but man this is a disappointment.

I’m gonna either start Deathloop or spend some more time relaxing in Forza Horizon 5

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I slayed the spire

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dying Light: Hellraid DLC

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

BTW https://ggapp.io/ is a cool site to keep track of your games. I like it more than backloggery since it's easy to make custom lists like "Games Beat" etc. I've been using it the past few years since it was unsure whether this site would fall into the grasp of satan himself but I continue to use it because I like it

https://ggapp.io/synthy add me from here, i think

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

BTW https://ggapp.io/ is a cool site to keep track of your games. I like it more than backloggery since it's easy to make custom lists like "Games Beat" etc. I've been using it the past few years since it was unsure whether this site would fall into the grasp of satan himself but I continue to use it because I like it

https://ggapp.io/synthy add me from here, i think

I've been keeping a paper list of games I've beaten, but this looks cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Max Payne. Insanely sick game. Great action, great atmosphere, just all around fantastic. Looking forward to starting 2 for the first time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Whoever made the parts where Max is dreaming and you have to slowly, carefully walk along a one-inch wide trail of blood or plummet to your death, and jump between trails with weird moon-landing physics, and you can't tell where you're going and there's a 2-second clip of a baby crying playing on loop the whole time, is going to Hell for sure. He's not seeing Heaven.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

afterb you play 2 do not play 3, its a rockstar cover shooter with unskippable cutscenes

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

someone is going to come in mad at that post and will try to make it sound hype, ignore them, they are wrong.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

3 is a good game, just not a good max payne game

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Also DO play the GBA Max Payne port. It’s somehow insanely good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
kirbys dream land extra mode on my Analogue Pocket

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

3. AI: Somnium Files on gamepass. Fun and scratched that 999 series itch. A lot of the story beats/moments are kinda insane but I love that the goons in this game are lifted straight from MGS.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Max Payne. Insanely sick game. Great action, great atmosphere, just all around fantastic. Looking forward to starting 2 for the first time.

If you though one kicked rear end two is going to blow your mind it’s so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

2 is fantastic, im jealous youre playing it for the 1st time. 3 is good but not as great as the previous 2 imho