Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can only really completely renew your built environment after war or land reform (read: mass land nationalization). for the us this hasnt happened in 150 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
not for lack of opportunity

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange DeviI posted:

Americans always assume things are just that bad everywhere else too, like yeah great that you made a dumb decision in the 50s, that’s 70 years ago stop being dumb and fix it

It's gonna cost us several trillion dollars just to fix our existing poo poo that's literally cracking in half, let alone build new poo poo. We certainly could but that might mean increasing taxes on the rich and corporations, which is the worst imaginable crime.

Minecraft Holmes posted:

And here I was thinking drunk driving could cost me thousands and thousands of dollars, like a sucker

Could, vs. will cost $15. :colbert:

You gonna buy a lotto ticket and immediately start spending like you won the jackpot, huh buddy? Hypothetical money is hypothetical, this fifteen bux exists right now!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As always, the solution is for Premier Xi to let the missiles fly

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Does anyone in America give a gently caress about drunk driving? I'm Irish, where drunk driving is almost non-existent, but spend a lot of time in NY where the amount of drunk driving dudes is horrifying to me. Like why the gently caress are you driving to the bar lmao

it used to be absolutely normal and unremarkable. now it's considered extremely bad but also a lot of people do it anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also Europe is size-comparable to the US and there is absolutely no comparison on public transport

European railways were built through much more imposing terrain, even accounting for the Rockies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

European railways were built through much more imposing terrain, even accounting for the Rockies.

Yeah it owns, the Swiss will just go straight through a loving mountain to get that train where it needs to go

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it owns, the Swiss will just go straight through a loving mountain to get that train where it needs to go

Bah, would be more impressive to go over it :colbert:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

It's gonna cost us several trillion dollars just to fix our existing poo poo that's literally cracking in half, let alone build new poo poo. We certainly could

Yeah, but you won’t. Though it’s not surprising that a country populated with simultaneously hyper nationalist and hyper individualistic people would opt for cars over public transit, then stubbornly stick to that plan even when the rest of the world moves on.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange DeviI posted:

Yeah, but you won’t. Though it’s not surprising that a country populated with simultaneously hyper nationalist and hyper individualistic people would opt for cars over public transit, then stubbornly stick to that plan even when the rest of the world moves on.

Idk man there seems to be quite a lot of support for public transit these days so maybe the whole "it would cost rich people more than zero dollars and enable poor people to live better" might be the reason more than "lol idiot americans can't stop loving their cars for 5 minutes to ride a train".

I mean we do like to gently caress and cum in our cars and all but putting the blame only on supposed individual preferences like that seems like it's more or less just a deflection from the real problem of "it would cost rich people and businesses money and make poor people's lives less hell".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The abstract of that study sums it up real well tbh.

quote:

The analysis of the poll questions on these topics shows that strong majorities of people believe that transit brings a number of specific benefits to their community, especially congestion relief and accessibility to vulnerable residents. Strong majorities also support improvements to transit as a general concept. However, fewer people support the general concept of increased spending on transit, and considerably fewer than half support raising any specific tax to increase transit funding, except for sales taxes, which usually enjoy majority support.

It's a great idea. No we will not pay for it. Well unless we can pay for it in a way that disproportionately hurts poor people, that's fine.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orange DeviI posted:

I think u may find the first word of the thread title relevant to ur analysis

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm not saying we're not a country of self-absorbed rear end in a top hat idiots who have literal sex with our cars, I just want you to be correct about it :colbert:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

Idk man there seems to be quite a lot of support for public transit these days so maybe the whole "it would cost rich people more than zero dollars and enable poor people to live better" might be the reason more than "lol idiot americans can't stop loving their cars for 5 minutes to ride a train".

I mean we do like to gently caress and cum in our cars and all but putting the blame only on supposed individual preferences like that seems like it's more or less just a deflection from the real problem of "it would cost rich people and businesses money and make poor people's lives less hell".

for various reasons it costs nyc 2 billion dollars to the korean 85 million usd equivalent for a mile of subway. these differences are almost entirely administrative, bureaucratic, legal and land-value related: anything actually physical accounts for at most a 2x difference tops. if you can get the nyc figure down to like 100 million usd, you can have nice subways in new york. if you can't, you can't. the differential income really doesn't matter that much.

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 10:59 on Jan 12, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bob dobbs is dead posted:

for various reasons it costs nyc 3 billion dollars to the korean 85 million usd equivalent for a mile of subway. these differences are almost entirely administrative, bureaucratic, legal and land-value related: anything actually physical accounts for at most a 2x difference tops. if you can get the nyc figure down to like 100 million usd, you can have nice subways in new york. if you can't, you can't.

My understanding, at least in Toronto and MTL is that NIMBYs and businesses would flip poo poo if you did cut-and-cover so everything takes longer and costs more because they have to bore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

for various reasons it costs nyc 2 billion dollars to the korean 85 million usd equivalent for a mile of subway. these differences are almost entirely administrative, bureaucratic, legal and land-value related: anything actually physical accounts for at most a 2x difference tops. if you can get the nyc figure down to like 100 million usd, you can have nice subways in new york. if you can't, you can't. the differential income really doesn't matter that much.

You were right the first time with the 3 billion, the most I could find was actually 3.7 billion/mile. I looked it up earlier when I was talking about how many miles of subway you could get out of an Apollo program.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

generally the drunker the polity the better the public transport: wisconsin is an outrageous exception to this

mike stoklasa cannot run an entire train system all by himself

he needs at least one rich evans to drive the other train

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is why musko will fail at the death tube thing: he thinks that the cost is physical. which of course it isn't. he would have been better off making a law firm to shut nimbys up or something like that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arivia posted:

mike stoklasa cannot run an entire train system all by himself

he needs at least one rich evans to drive the other train

what is wrong with your face

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would like my house to be made of hemp.

What if a wolf comes and huffs and puffs and blows your dumb house down? Bet you wish for bricks then, bitch.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i forget where i stole this one from, but you want a nice big wolf skull atop the door so the wolf knows to go gently caress w someone else

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Shame Boy posted:

See my post that first brought this up. We had this key decision, went all-in on highways, and now everything (including local transit) has to be ultra-car-focused as a result. Why bother to build light rail if everyone has a car (and everyone has to have a car) and people are just going to drive here with their car and drive around once they get here with their car etc.

youre just reiterating liberalism suggesting the most necessary thing to do is to give lead poisoned morons all the freedumbs they want. That narrative gets plenty of play, pick a better fight

also "america is just too big..." is big bullshit

Serf
May 5, 2011

we should have roving gangs of people in ryu and cammy cosplay that destroy every car on sight

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

youre just reiterating liberalism suggesting the most necessary thing to do is to give lead poisoned morons all the freedumbs they want. That narrative gets plenty of play, pick a better fight

yes, "reiterating" is exactly what they were doing: trying to define the path that led us to where we are now. They were not suggesting that as a legitimate or absolute reason for why the US has to be designed this way, but reiterating the story we enacted that put us at this ending, surrounded by parking lots.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yes, "reiterating" is exactly what they were doing: trying to define the path that led us to where we are now. They were not suggesting that as a legitimate or absolute reason for why the US has to be designed this way, but reiterating the story we enacted that put us at this ending, surrounded by parking lots.

nah the narrative is suggesting the transportation regulatory capture is a function of the depravity and selfishness of Americans not the concerted capitalist tactic that it was. Someone(s) with money bought the poo poo and used it as leverage to sell their tires and etc

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Jan 12, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

nah the narrative is explaining the transportation regulatory capture is a function of the depravity and selfishness of Americans not the concerted capitalist tactic that it was

it is absolutely both. the reason for why we don't expand public transportation NOW is based in the sort of sunk cost fallacy thinking they're talking about : "weeellll, we already have all this infrastructure that's built for cars. Maybe if we just stuck with cars for a little longer they'll figure out the auto self driving sleeper cars that make money giving taxi cab rides while I'm at work and then I won't need to pay more taxes plus it'll benefit me to own my car! I guess we stick with cars a little while longer."

Is this an organic thought? No, it's drilled into every citizen at every turn, because why would anyone continue paying $500/month between a car payment and insurance and gas for the base privilege of getting to work on time if they were left to work it out themselves?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I guess what I am trying to say is that the dissonance management techniques of the carbrained are not really all that important or essential to moving the needle forward. This kind of thinking is simply a circumstance of the current system and the only way people can go on living "normally" in such a hosed up situation.

I think the only way to "beat" this kind of thinking is to de-emphasize it by whatever means possible (edit: and of course fix reality if we can, even if our fellow citizens are intent on stopping us)

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Jan 12, 2022

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
After living in China for a while, with its bitching HSR system and Beijing's metro system, I feel like the dude who managed to escape the cave, realizing that it's all bullshit.

gently caress cars.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not saying we're not a country of self-absorbed rear end in a top hat idiots who have literal sex with our cars, I just want you to be correct about it :colbert:

You underestimate how self centered Americans are. Yes, even you and the other American posters in this thread. Until you understand this you will never be free

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
when individual Americans are victimized by capital that doesn't (necessarily) mean they chose it or deserved it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Orange Devil posted:

What if a wolf comes and huffs and puffs and blows your dumb house down? Bet you wish for bricks then, bitch.

What if I used bricks made of hemp?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hippie!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What if I used bricks made of hemp?

I'll allow it.

Hopefully makes residential fires more fun for the fire department also.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Orange Devil posted:

I'll allow it.

It would!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeW6kuZgPY4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

I'll allow it.

could it really be worse than the all particle board construction common today?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Watch that video. Hempcrete is pretty fire resistant.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Bloop posted:

could it really be worse than the all particle board construction common today?

I live in a country where houses are build out of solid materials, like bricks, rather than whatever garbage bullshit you just told me about.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think size of the country is a misnomer. A better metric would be population density. I've heard high speed rail is most efficient when it connects two metro areas of a minimum density within a particular proximity that is its cheaper and comparable to an airplane but faster than a car.

Getting good transit coverage over a large particularly low density area is difficult. It means it requires more vehicles traveling longer routes to carry less people.

Having high density cities makes public transit more efficient but discussing it with people I find that many people simply don't want to live in those places . The proximity of your neighbors is a class signifier in the US. The people that can afford to buy homes get to drive demand and as long as there's demand for detatched single family homes in suburbs the problem will never go away.

And while it is definitely good for the environment, work from home policies also put less pressure on re zoning and reconfiguring city centers. Covid also gave NIMBYS a convenient excuse against higher density as well. These issues give detractors ammunition to dig up contradictions in policy.

Not to mention the best time to set up your mass transit network and metro centers is around a century beforehand when right of way and land costs are much less of a challenge. It's definitely a grasshopper-and-the-ant type of situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1480161176797552640

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1480342496530022405

"In the trenches"