Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Batman, this is the fourth time you’ve taken a spray of fear gas to the face. Please for the love of god get a gas mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Batman, this is the fourth time you’ve taken a spray of fear gas to the face. Please for the love of god get a gas mask.

But then people couldn’t see his mouth.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Scions are a diverse group in FFXIV. There's a blonde woman, a blonde guy, another blonde guy, a blonde cat-girl, a blonde teen, his blonde twin, and later a blonde dude when he finally takes off his helmet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Scions are a diverse group in FFXIV. There's a blonde woman, a blonde guy, another blonde guy, a blonde cat-girl, a blonde teen, his blonde twin, and later a blonde dude when he finally takes off his helmet.

hair color is an actual choice (even in real life!), unlike a myriad of other reasons you could have come up with

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My mistake, there's also another blonde woman, a blonde dwarf, and this game's version of Cid, who is blonde.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
As a snow-headed character (before I quit playing cause MMOs), white hair is not blonde.

It's more special.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yeah almost all those characters are actually silver/white haired which is actually more remarkable

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

somepartsareme posted:

Yeah almost all those characters are actually silver/white haired which is actually more remarkable

I'll have you know that the collective taxonomic name is "A trauma of Sephiroths"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
A Cloud of Sephiroths is right there

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Joey Freshwater posted:

A Cloud of Sephiroths is right there

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cloud is just Sephiroth Lite. Half the Mako, but still the same flavour.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The hell they're all white haired. All the actual blondes stopped being scions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly the thing I want to see from FF7's expanded universe is an expansion on Jenova killing the ancients, because you just know that played out like a Resident Evil game. A meteor crashes to the north of a small settlement, the Ancients send a scouting party, maybe they start trying to move the Meteor because it's landed somewhere awkward and one of them yells for help - then they find what looks like an unknown-to-them ancient, trapped beneath it, so they try to help her and bring her to their village to recover. Of course the Meteor isn't just a meteor, and that ancient that they found was just a life form that copied their form and is starting to copy their language by mimicking it and using it's powers to get into their heads subtly for extra context. When they ask her name, she strings together syllables from their language. Je No Va. That'll do for a name, not that it matters. As the situation envelops she starts getting more and more into their heads and things start showing themselves as a little bit wrong. But by that point it's too late. The reason Jenova looks like she does when Hojo finds her is because she's a resident evil villain - an Ancient caught on and tried to fight her, and when going on the offensive Jenova's ancient disguise starts morphing and adding things that shouldn't be there til it bursts through the roof, a 20 foot tall heap of muscle and once-recognisable ancient body parts, with eyes where they shouldn't be and limbs detatching The Thing style for added tactical advantages. By the end of the fight it stalemates, the ancient dying of her injuries and Jenova falling into the planet's core, becoming encased in lifestream and growing dormant, waiting to strike again.

spoilered a 25 year old game purely because of speculation about a little-discussed plot point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she’s The Thing, yeah. it’s a deliberate reference

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

she’s The Thing, yeah. it’s a deliberate reference

I know that. It would just be a lot of fun to watch or play. Resident Evil Village but it's Jenova instead of Mother Miranda

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jan 12, 2022

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You know, I'd never made that connection before. Is it something that's referenced in-game or have the developers commented on it?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
GR: Wildlands, can you please be consistent on, well, anything? Just lost a promising Ghost Mode save to what I can only describe as Bullshit. Missile starts locking on to plane, okay I'll bail out - wait why is the get out of vehicle button not working - plane is too slow to dodge - get hit, plane crashes, get knocked down and out of the wreck - AI revives me - game over, save deleted. My best guess is it revived me inside the flaming wreck of a plane and instant killed me, but I should have had one more revive left because of a skill unlock.

This isn't the first save I've lost to Bullshit and it's almost enough to sour me on the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Play dumbass hardcore game modes, win dumbass hardcore prizes.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m playing through Wild Lands too and you’re crazy for playing on a mode like that.

Too many open world things to collect/recollect, too many enemies spawning in your flank, the Unidad having negative chill.

You obviously have your reasons for playing on that mode so power to you, but jeez.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Reminds me of the hardcore mode in Subnautica. I don't think I died in my last playthrough so technically I've done it, but I would never play the actual mode because the game is so riddled with bugs that I would expect to die from clipping into geometry and drowning or something equally stupid. In my first playthrough, I loaded my save at one point and my Cyclops immediately launched itself 1000 feet into the sky and exploded with me inside.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

moosecow333 posted:

You obviously have your reasons for playing on that mode so power to you, but jeez.

It's a lot of fun, honestly, at least when it works. Only having one primary weapon means you need to either commit to one playstyle or plan ahead for when you can switch (you can only switch weapons / drone loadouts / weapon mods at weapon boxes). Reloading magazines instead of bullets means you need to learn not to do the standard FPS reload after every kill unless you want to run out of ammo (there's ammo boxes everywhere though so this usually isn't an issue). Permadeath means run and gun is incredibly risky and leads to more planning for getting through outposts, or deciding if grabbing that medication convoy is really worth it right now. It shows the value in otherwise underused items, like flashbangs and thermal goggles and the EMP drone. And when things eventually do go sideways, you have to have an escape route planned if you intend to make it out alive. Also you get extra resources form every source so skilling up isn't quite as grindy as in base game.

Now, it also needs way too much game knowledge and the flaws in the game are amplified a lot. Enemies respawning on top of you, SAM sites being immune to everything but generator destruction or explosives and respawning in 3 minutes, Advanced Suppressor removing the damage loss but not the penetration loss so it's not a full restoration to damage and knowing there's a massive hidden damage boost whenever you're in stealth, just for starters.

The save I lost was 60ish percent complete, at Tier 34. Not the first I've lost by far, but only the second that reached Tier One.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jan 13, 2022

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Oh Frig, here's some thoughts about Subnautica Below Zero.

I posted in the sister thread months ago, alongside the other dude who was playing Subnautica. Seriously loved that game, what a trip.

I started up Below Zero after, it felt ok for a bit but fell off. The game points you in a lot of directions - to Delta Outpost, the AI, and then to the pilots location. At that point I was lacking some serious upgrades, so was freediving for 45 seconds at a time with my 0 depth Seatruck upgrade. Eventually felt like I was really supposed to have some more upgrades by now, I looked up the locations to some of the data chips with the schematics. I'm willing to accept maybe I'm just a dumbass but the fact is I found a bunch of the upgrade chips on my own in the first one, and didn't find them and had to look them up in the second. I ended up taking a break here because of the holidays.

I booted it back up the past two weeks and played some more - made a big base, upgraded the seatruck to max depth, found the end of the game with the red crystals way before I was supposed to, turned off the satellite and now I guess I gotta build a hoverbike to go on the land, as well as find blueprints to make the body.

It's really hard to say what it is that's dragging it down. As far as I can tell I can get every resource in abundance(even kyanite, it's just lying around), and my truck has two storage containers(I got excited to build the fusion lockers, they would make base shipments easier! Turns out my truck just has storage now, never mind don't need it.) I have no need of the prawn suit, I guess there's no larger vehicle like the cyclops since my truck can go to 1000' now?

Everything I type and think about 'feels' like Subnautica but I dunno, something about the progression feels all over the place. It's fine, I'll probably finish it - it's definitely not inside my brain like the first one was. I just want everything to be fresh and amazing and perfect and stay exciting and fresh, and I want it to come in the easy monthly subscription cost of Microsoft Game Pass. Maybe my expectations were too high.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Capital Letdown posted:

I booted it back up the past two weeks and played some more - made a big base, upgraded the seatruck to max depth, found the end of the game with the red crystals way before I was supposed to, turned off the satellite and now I guess I gotta build a hoverbike to go on the land, as well as find blueprints to make the body.

Don't even bother, the hoverbike is trash. The on-land sections in Below Zero are the worst part of either game, make yourself a prawn suit instead and it will save you from one of the main sources of frustration.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

The hell they're all white haired. All the actual blondes stopped being scions.

Also one of the blondes is the princess of an oppressed nation that's populated almost exclusively of dark skinned and dark haired people. She's their savior despite everyone else doing most of the heavy work. That one was always a bit weird.

The more pressing XIV one from me comes from the latest expansion, of which I liked half the story and kind of hated the other half. But anyway At the very end of the storyline an old antagonist, Zenos, comes out of loving nowhere, eats the remains of god and becomes a dragon; flies to the literal end of the universe and breaks into a super special apocalypse space just so he can serve as your battle arena for the final boss fight. Then, after all that, he's like "FIGHT ME. Or walk away. I don't care." And then the game doesn't let you tell him to gently caress off and just walk away leaving him there to starve to death or whatever. gently caress him, and I hate that I can't just ignore him.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't even bother, the hoverbike is trash. The on-land sections in Below Zero are the worst part of either game, make yourself a prawn suit instead and it will save you from one of the main sources of frustration.

Boy howdy is it ever. It's made out of tissue paper and going over rough terrain damages it which is kinda counterintuitive for a hoverbike. You're better off marching around in the Prawn suit.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Joker keeps bothering everyone by making announcements when I am looking around for treasure.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. Because I was going through my game library trying to decide what to play next and I realised I own it even though I have zero memory of this.

I am generally enjoying it even if I feel like the eel thing didn't really want to fight me and really just wanted to swim around but gotta kill it anyway I guess

anyway I CANNOT STEER THIS HORSE TO SAVE MY LIFE HOLY poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been angry at videogame horses lately, and it's like, between MGSV and Ghost of Tsushima, there's no reason for them to be clunky and annoying. Just let them steer easily and ride over most obstacles, and if you run them off too large a cliff, let them come back a few moments later without any trouble. It's not that hard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The 3d map in Jedi Fallen Order kind of sucks, it's really hard to scroll around, especially when areas start being higher or lower, because a lot of the elevations are between floors, so you can't just go "Oh, this part is slightly above this bit so it must be on floor 2...." because the minute you switch to floor 2 you're a mile in the air above the bit you were trying to highlight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

I'm playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. Because I was going through my game library trying to decide what to play next and I realised I own it even though I have zero memory of this.

I am generally enjoying it even if I feel like the eel thing didn't really want to fight me and really just wanted to swim around but gotta kill it anyway I guess

anyway I CANNOT STEER THIS HORSE TO SAVE MY LIFE HOLY poo poo
:allears:

Agro is notoriously fickle to control, because you actually only ever have full control over the rider, not the horse. But the good news is, you can generally just let the horse do what horse does and he'll find his way across e.g. winding bridges no problem without your input.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My mistake, there's also another blonde woman, a blonde dwarf, and this game's version of Cid, who is blonde.

And a (Shadowbringers spoiler) red-haired catboy. Funny how he seems to be the only exception

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mokinokaro posted:

And a (Shadowbringers spoiler) red-haired catboy. Funny how he seems to be the only exception

Tataru and Krile erasure here

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

:allears:

Agro is notoriously fickle to control, because you actually only ever have full control over the rider, not the horse. But the good news is, you can generally just let the horse do what horse does and he'll find his way across e.g. winding bridges no problem without your input.
Agro is basically the smartest video game horse yet created. He won't trip or crash into trees. All you have to do is aim him in the general direction you're going and he will find the best way to get there.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hardly ever used any horse in BOTW.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I found the camera in SotC to be far more difficult to control than the horse, goddamn that thing

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been angry at videogame horses lately, and it's like, between MGSV and Ghost of Tsushima, there's no reason for them to be clunky and annoying. Just let them steer easily and ride over most obstacles, and if you run them off too large a cliff, let them come back a few moments later without any trouble. It's not that hard.

I don't know why it seems to be the unanimous game designer decision that "horses have to feel really bad to control compared to being on foot, that's the fair tradeoff for them being faster"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hedgehog Pie posted:

You know, I'd never made that connection before. Is it something that's referenced in-game or have the developers commented on it?

Not to The Thing specifically, but in Icicle Inn you can find Professor Gast's house, including recordings he made interviewing Ifalna, Aeris's mom, who talks about the history of the Ancients and Jenova. Spoilers I guess since we're doing that: Jenova, aka the Calamity from the Skies, came from space on some meteorite which crashed and created the North Crater. She approaches the Cetra, who went to the crater to try to heal the planet, and infects some of them with her cells, turning them into monsters. She's also described as taking on the appearance of their dead friends and relatives. The Cetra fight back and manage to seal her away within the crater, but by that point she's killed most of them and their numbers continue to slowly decrease over the centuries afterward. It's one of the scant pieces of foreshadowing that hints at the fact that the Sephiroth you've been following the whole game isn't actually Sephiroth, but Jenova in disguise

Alhazred posted:

Agro is basically the smartest video game horse yet created. He won't trip or crash into trees. All you have to do is aim him in the general direction you're going and he will find the best way to get there.

It's this. One of the more subtle gameplay-story elements of SotC is your growing bond with Agro. Agro doesn't change in behavior in any way, but over time you'll slowly learn to just trust him to do what you want him to do and he'll do it. And the sandworm colossus is the like...bondgate of the game, where you can't beat it unless you just 100% let Agro do his own thing while you make precision shots off horseback

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jan 13, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man I should play ff7 again because I don't remember any of that

I think I lasted played it in junior high so 20 years ago?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Len posted:

Man I should play ff7 again because I don't remember any of that

I think I lasted played it in junior high so 20 years ago?

It's super easy to miss that bit of backstory. You have to examine a machine in one house that's otherwise optional and empty save for a couple items and it's easy to assume the machine is just part of the background. Much like the flashback that explains the truth of what happened to Cloud after the Nibelheim reactor, which you can only see if you revisit the lab in the Shinra mansion (which you have no reason to go to) after the big reveal in Disc 2, at which point you're pretty much right at the endgame

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Horse chat, I didn't remember having a problem with the horse in the Witcher 3 the first time I played it but I went back much later after having just playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with its overly in-depth horse husbandry and W3's horse started feeling like some PS2-era mechanics and it was really distracting all of a sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nuebot posted:

The more pressing XIV one from me comes from the latest expansion, of which I liked half the story and kind of hated the other half. But anyway At the very end of the storyline an old antagonist, Zenos, comes out of loving nowhere, eats the remains of god and becomes a dragon; flies to the literal end of the universe and breaks into a super special apocalypse space just so he can serve as your battle arena for the final boss fight. Then, after all that, he's like "FIGHT ME. Or walk away. I don't care." And then the game doesn't let you tell him to gently caress off and just walk away leaving him there to starve to death or whatever. gently caress him, and I hate that I can't just ignore him.

Seconded so much. And to make matters worse, I main White Mage. Which meant the Grand Finale Fight to the 10-Year Story was... 10 minutes of me spamming my two (2) damage spells over and over again, after the big trial that demanded serious healer play. I stopped bothering doing the mechanics on Zenos' fight because I'm a white mage, what do I care? Anything that doesn't one-shot me is irrelevant. What a loving way to end your promised grand finale to ten years of story, making me click my 1 key over and over again, pressing my 2 key every 30 seconds to refresh Dia, and occasionally one or two other buttons to heal whatever damage I did take.