Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

This lacks the episodic nature of Mando, I think BOBF will need to be judged by its full run. Episode 1 and 3 lacked the kind of cohesive package of Episode 2, which so far is the only one that I think can really operate as a standalone. If the entire run works as a kind of big rear end movie, that'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerkface posted:

This lacks the episodic nature of Mando, I think BOBF will need to be judged by its full run. Episode 1 and 3 lacked the kind of cohesive package of Episode 2, which so far is the only one that I think can really operate as a standalone. If the entire run works as a kind of big rear end movie, that'll be great.

I think it does. It's The Book of Boba Feet not The Anthology Book of Boba Fett

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Everyone posted:

I think it does. It's The Book of Boba Feet not The Anthology Book of Boba Fett

yea but even serialized prestige tv knows how to center an episode around specific themes and plotting to make it stand up on it's own.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I grinned like an idiot when I saw they were bringing a rancor, and then even more when Danny Trejo was it’s trainer. I mean, I knew it was inevitably gonna happen, but it was still great when he finally showed up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jerkface posted:

yea but even serialized prestige tv knows how to center an episode around specific themes and plotting to make it stand up on it's own.

Feels like there's pretty consistent theming and plotting here about apparently violent things not being what they appear to be.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know anything about the Pyke gang but I hear they're from Solo, which I've never seen? So what's the over/under on Han Solo actually popping up in the season finale?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

fartknocker posted:

I grinned like an idiot when I saw they were bringing a rancor, and then even more when Danny Trejo was it’s trainer. I mean, I knew it was inevitably gonna happen, but it was still great when he finally showed up.

For a second I thought that Boba would just keep Black Krrsantan as his dungeon monster.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know anything about the Pyke gang but I hear they're from Solo, which I've never seen? So what's the over/under on Han Solo actually popping up in the season finale?

They showed up first in The Clone Wars, I think, so they're not exclusively Solo related.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

You rang?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Dave Syndrome posted:

They showed up first in The Clone Wars, I think, so they're not exclusively Solo related.

Yeah, the Pikes show up a bunch in Clone Wars and felt like the most common crime syndicate antagonists there for some of the seasons. I can’t recall if they showed up or were mentioned in Rebels, but I think they showed up in Bad Batch at one point too.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao was Fett's comment about riding bigger creatures in the past a reference to the Holiday Special cartoon?

It absolutely was. Loved the deep cuts references this time, from the Dathomir witches riding rancors to the Ralph McQuarrie painting.

I just wished the chase would've been faster. Rodriguez is directing some of his action scenes very un-rodriguezish in this show (although the Krrsantan fight was OK I guess).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That speeder chase looked like dogshit though and I kinda hate everything about the Vespa gang. They just don’t fit the setting.

Yes. That aspect was incredibly lame and the CG looked dog poo poo, the whole thing looked like they were going at 10mph the entire time. The power ranger colours also don't fit the world at all.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

I certainly didn't expect to see The Neutrinos from TMNT, I don't know what they were thinking..

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes. That aspect was incredibly lame and the CG looked dog poo poo, the whole thing looked like they were going at 10mph the entire time. The power ranger colours also don't fit the world at all.

Yeah, the sense of speed was really bizarre.

I've enjoyed the show so far, but the gang and the chase was embarrassing.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Boba Fett never read The Space Iliad

Edit: Also, heavy Neutrinos from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vibe with Boba’s new gang.

Edit 2: Too slow on the draw

mweber fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 12, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Once I saw Danny Trejo I was like oh, they let RR direct again and it explained why the episode was plodding along while still only being like 35 minutes long. Jesus Christ. Focus on Alita and stop making Star Wars. He’s not a good fit here.

And that chase - woof. Embarrassing.

Septimius posted:

I certainly didn't expect to see The Neutrinos from TMNT, I don't know what they were thinking..

:lol: Exactly.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 12, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh...I'm the only one who liked the Vespa gang, then. That's fine, that's fine...:saddowns:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
The chase definitely lacked speed and that made it kinda awkward, but I enjoyed it cramming just about every car chase trope (Which the Jabba painting basically replacing the guys with a pane of glass) including multiple fruit carts/stands getting wiped out. If they’d made the sense of speed better, it would have been awesome, but as it was I still enjoyed it from a more comedic standpoint.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Loved the episode, and I’m probably one of the only posters here that liked the cyberpunk Vespa gang. Wookie bro definitely coming back and will be part of Boba’s crew. And the highlight was definitely Good Boy Rancor! And Danny Trejo!

The show is really coming together and I’m very excited to see where it goes!

Also, the music during this episode was top notch, especially the Tusken slaughter funeral scene. Just fantastic awesome somber music, well done whoever put that together.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...I'm the only one who liked the Vespa gang, then. That's fine, that's fine...:saddowns:

I hate to play the "my immersion" but I just don't think their design fits. Everything in tattoine is drab, run down, rusting and falling apart.

And then you have this 'street gang'

Star wars is a franchise intended for children. I know that. But that gang and that chase really made me think "christ I'm a 30 something dude watching a children's show in the middle of the day"

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate to play the "my immersion" but I just don't think their design fits. Everything in tattoine is drab, run down, rusting and falling apart.

Star wars is a franchise intended for children. I know that. But that gang and that chase really made me think "christ I'm a 30 something dude watching a children's show in the middle of the day"

Finally merging the Star Wars and Spy Kids universes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mega Comrade posted:

This woman must sleep in a bacta tank to have skin like that on a desert planet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Our cyberpunks need rides.
How about some bright futuristic rascal scooters?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BrianWilly posted:

I thought they were great and a reminder not everything in Star Wars has to take itself too seriously or be black on black with a covering of grime. The cyborg kids on colorful bikes they obviously take great pride in immaculately maintaining was kind of fun, to me. I even liked the chase TBH.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I loved the cyborg youths and their colorful mopeds, and the Krrsantan fight did not disappoint. I was really hoping I'd get to see him bite someone like he bit Kenobi in the comic I posted and I feel like all of my dreams just came true.

I doubt the scooter kids are locals, they look like they probably came from an urban world and recently wound up on Tatooine through misfortune and/or misadventure. I thought the chase scene was good goofy fun that was also pretty to watch thanks to those bikes. There was no real danger cause the mayor's dude wasn't shooting back or anything, and no real risk of him getting away because Boba could keep up with his jetpack. I think Fett just wanted to sic the scary youths on the silly man because it feels good to be the boss for once.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Star Wars Power Rangers Scooter gang owns

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was not expecting them to fridge the whole TRIBE and definitely had my money on it coming to a head with the pikes and the klatuu biker gang and the mayor all ready to carve him up and him relying on his old tusken pals to help.

Of course they conspicuously did NOT show dead ninja lady tusken, so maybe we'll still get that on a much smaller scale.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Our cyberpunks need rides.
How about some bright futuristic rascal scooters?

I think they were going for a futuristic mod look.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RE: The condition of the bikes. The kids obviously take exceptional pride in maintaining them in cherry shape as a form of self-expression.

We can take that as read from their appearance and it's an easier and more plausible conclusion than thinking the production design team forgot how weathering works for exactly one set of props out of thousands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Boba really is a dummy and a terrible ruler.

At least the terrible Tusken flashbacks are over, even if it ended in a very expected way.

The space vespas looked extremely silly and out of place. The chase scene was awful too. I do like that they are actually cyborgs though.

Alan Smithee posted:

Boba needing to get bailed out by the Captain Planet crew. Shameful. He needs to start projecting strength

Boba needs to start actually killing people.

NowonSA posted:

I was hoping that the Rancor tamer was spouting a bunch of bullshit and it was just sedated, leading to it immediately trying to kill Fett as another Hutt plot.

So far the show doesn't have that same Mando magic for me, and this episode felt like the weakest one so far. If they can stick the landing though that'll go a long way towards improving the show though.

:same: and :same:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got flashbacks to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuZHyW-iGI
:lol:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jfc Krrsantan is terrifying

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1481279138426146818

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BrianWilly posted:

I did and do think that their aesthetic really clashes with Tattooine, but Lady Hot Topic stabbing Black Krrsantan with a loving space switchblade really won me over. You have to have some real stupid-rear end chutzpah to do that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

God, same. I'm personally on team Cyber Youths but I'm also glad Rodriguez is only directing one more episode after this.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Of course they conspicuously did NOT show dead ninja lady tusken, so maybe we'll still get that on a much smaller scale.

I'm hoping against hope that wasn't just an oversight because what loving disrespect to such a cool new character if they not only fridge her but not even show her body lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I did and do think that their aesthetic really clashes with Tattooine,

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but imagine you're a disaffected space mod culture youth trying to express yourself on a planet where everything is tan drab and sandblasted to poo poo. The clash is the point.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but imagine you're a disaffected space mod culture youth trying to express yourself on a planet where everything is tan drab and sandblasted to poo poo. The clash is the point.

So everyone else just has broken rusted poo poo cos they don't care?
I thought it was because the planet is meant to be incredibly poor and crime-ridden. And a gang who can't even afford to buy water and have no jobs would be no different.

I suppose they could have stolen their space vespers...from somewhere...

oh my god I've been tricked into a star wars lore argument....

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 12, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

I mean, mostly, yeah? The guy who's hauling plumbus roots in his space honda that's been running since Yoda was smooth just needs his shitbox to get from the labor district to the city center and doesn't care about doing it in style. The Space Akira Bike Gang probably has like micro-force-fields so their banana yellow paint stays safe from the sands.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Darth Maul died to Obi-Wan in a duel on Tatooine when Luke was 15.

But his legs are still out there, wanting their revenge, so he could come back if he really wanted to

because they keep a spare brain in their calves

The spider monk at the start of the episode was foreshadowing this

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I thought it was because the planet is meant to be incredibly poor and crime-ridden. And a gang who can't even afford to buy water and have no jobs would be no different.

I suppose they could have stolen their space vespers...from somewhere...

oh my god I've been tricked into a star wars lore argument....

Tatooine is a Bruce Springsteen song. The ocean drying up is the mill shutting down.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RR is really butchering these episodes. :(

Boba seems really weak and seems to lose every single fight until someone else saves him. The most fearsome bounty hunter of the galaxy needs daily recharges in a tank that nobody guards. The fact that he gets rescued by Cyberpunk Space Vespa Power Rangers pretty much says it all.

BK looked awesome again. Hope he gets more screentime in the future. Not sure how Boba is going to rule Mos Espa with 2 Gamorreans, the Power Rangers, Shand and a Rancor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Boba seems really weak and seems to lose every single fight

If you're bummed now, just wait til you see Return of the Jedi!!