Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm not sure, would be interested to see what you discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I bought a secondhand physical copy of ARR and the first 2 expansions for PS4? Have I bought it in the eyes of Squenix or no?

Aren't there CD keys? If they're used you bought install discs.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Aren't there CD keys? If they're used you bought install discs.

Haha oops well there are CD keys but as it’s secondhand I suppose they’ve likely been redeemed. I can’t really afford PSNow just yet anyway, so I’ll guess I’ll hold off for a bit. Hopefully they’ll be letting people back on by then

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Haha oops well there are CD keys but as it’s secondhand I suppose they’ve likely been redeemed. I can’t really afford PSNow just yet anyway, so I’ll guess I’ll hold off for a bit. Hopefully they’ll be letting people back on by then

You don't need playstation plus to play ffxiv since it's subscription based

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Saw the FFXII Remaster was on PSNow this week, and gave it a shot - my gf is super into it. According to the OP the game is kind of poo poo without mods, but I think we'll manage to struggle through it with a healthy dose of the speed-up button. Anything I should know going in? Made it just out of the electric-mimic dungeon. We know basically nothing about the game except vaguely that you can lock yourself out of certain rewards by opening the wrong chests.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Not a Children posted:

Saw the FFXII Remaster was on PSNow this week, and gave it a shot - my gf is super into it. According to the OP the game is kind of poo poo without mods, but I think we'll manage to struggle through it with a healthy dose of the speed-up button. Anything I should know going in? Made it just out of the electric-mimic dungeon. We know basically nothing about the game except vaguely that you can lock yourself out of certain rewards by opening the wrong chests.

In the original FF12 there was a secret chest that despawned permanently if you opened one of the chests in the world linked to it. There is absolutely no indication of this on either end (when you opened one of the linked chests that made it despawn, or when you get to the room where the chest would have been). The chest contained the game's strongest weapon.

Absolutely none of this is in any other version of FF12 including the one you are playing. It's completely removed and that weapon isn't even the strongest one in the game anymore

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's fine without mods, and the chests were ultimate weapons, but nothing needed and you wouldn't notice their absence if you didn't know about them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s fine without mods, it’s good (great) with mods.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Nah, the game's fine without mods. The OP just really likes one particular rebalancing mod (which I gotta say is a very good one).

First, you actually can't lock yourself out of anything by opening certain chests anymore. That was only in the original PS2 version, and the whole loot system has been redone in all the rereleases. The item in question (the Zodiac Spear) now comes from a side quest, not a random chest that can arbitrarily not appear.

Other tips:

- Don't stress about job choices or job combinations. Every character having two jobs makes them automatically stronger than the first job system version ("IZJS," the first PS2 rerelease), and you can also respec your job and license choices by talking to Montblanc at the Clan Centurio headquarters in Rabanastre. Have fun and play with what seems cool.
- It's dumb busywork but the game makes you buy most of the gambit targets (things like "Ally HP <60%" and things like that). They're in the shops that have the yellow diamond icons on the map. They're all super cheap so it's just a weird busywork thing to buy them all, but you do it once and you're done for the playthrough.
- Chests in dungeons sometimes contain spells and abilities. None of them are ever permanently missable, though--you can always either just go back to the dungeon to grab it, or if it's in a place you can't return to it'll also show up in a later chest that's in an area you can return to.
- Some pieces of equipment boost elemental damage by 50% (which is a shitload) and the game doesn't tell you this. If your Black Mage seems underwhelming, stick a Flame Staff in their hands when they're casting fire spells and watch the big numbers fly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I recently played through the FF7R Yuffie DLC and I really enjoyed the Fort Condor minigame. It was a nice surprise. I loved playing it in FF7 and it's nice that we didn't have to wait years to get it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I forgot just how :discourse: the Gilgamesh fights are in FFXII. The music and John DiMaggio acting the hell out of every stupid one-liner are such a perfect combo. The second one is really hard though, maybe it’s because I was on lv 55 but he was kicking my rear end. Are axes a random damage weapon? I gave Balthier the Golden Axe and his damage was inconsistent to say the least. Luckily Ashe with the Karkata and Genji Gloves could shred their Hp when she wasn’t casting healing spells/haste/bubble.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXII needs a mod that lets you buy licences in bulk.

And a map for the great crystal.

And a quest-log because finding the optional espers on your own is a fools errand. It was only 14 years after I first played did I get Cuchulain and Zalera.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This would be incredible

Dragon Quest XI's skill tree is much smaller but sorta superficially resembles a hex-based license board, and that one lets you unlock skills in bulk if you have enough skill points (like when you're respeccing). It's great. It'd be even better with something as big as FFXII's license board.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And a map for the great crystal.

And a quest-log because finding the optional espers on your own is a fools errand. It was only 14 years after I first played did I get Cuchulain and Zalera.

It was funny, when I played TZA recently I ended up using the exact same Great Crystal maps I remember using when I first played it at launch on PS2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was funny, when I played TZA recently I ended up using the exact same Great Crystal maps I remember using when I first played it at launch on PS2.

I downloaded a collection of maps with chest locations/contents for the IZJS version like 10 years ago and its still mostly accurate for TZA

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are axes a random damage weapon? I gave Balthier the Golden Axe and his damage was inconsistent to say the least.
Yep.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Second Gilgamesh is an unforgiving fight, yes. You can't overprepare for it enough. I can't give any specific advice since it's been a while, but I definitely did it while Reddas was still in the party, which helped a bunch if only to have someone extra throwing around Phoenix Downs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gilgamesh in FF12 was just excellent, and an excellent fight

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

It really is.

I didn't get the most out of it though because I didn't do it until I was way overleveled and Ashe as Black/Red + Haste + Faith made it way easier than intended.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I bought a secondhand physical copy of ARR and the first 2 expansions for PS4? Have I bought it in the eyes of Squenix or no?

try and it find out, but it sounds like an announcement is coming next week regarding the closed off/free trial stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

jokes posted:

:hmmyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXV's biggest crime is a boring as poo poo Gilgamesh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe a power ranking of each game’s (representation of the same, consistent entity known as) Gilgamesh is in order.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Maybe a power ranking of each game’s (representation of the same, consistent entity known as) Gilgamesh is in order.

Someone did this itt last year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV's biggest crime is a boring as poo poo Gilgamesh

Don't even remember him being in it....

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Someone did this itt last year

Was it me? It might have been me, I loving love tier lists

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

final fantasy 9 gilgamesh is not a good gilgamesh either imo

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It feels like they weren't actually sure if they wanted to commit to "every Gilgamesh is the same guy" for a while so you have offshoots like IX where he's merely a name reference. Except then XV Gilgamesh is different enough to seems like a new person too so for pete's sake by now you should've learned to just commit to the bit, you guys.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't even remember him being in it....
he's in the Gladio DLC

the version of Big Bridge is done by the Nier composer and sounds it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPgxgTgWkM

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s funny, despite going to absolute 100% completion on 15 both PS and PC, I’ve never felt compelled to even touch the DLC episodes. I think what appeals to me about the main game, namely exploring at your leisure and camping out doing bro poo poo seems like it would largely be lost in favor of solo outings focusing on new and unique mechanics which is just….eh.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love 13-2's Gilgamesh who shows up with a bunch of guns only to throw them away because he can't fight right with them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

14's Gilgamesh is pretty great but his actual fights are super boring :(

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Me: This Golden Axe has really high attack! That’ll make Balthier really strong!

Balthier: *hits for 159 damage*

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love 13-2's Gilgamesh who shows up with a bunch of guns only to throw them away because he can't fight right with them.

I don’t even remember that but that game was goofy as hell so it sounds about right.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t even remember that but that game was goofy as hell so it sounds about right.

It's great. He's a DLC fight and he says he was worried you wouldn't download him and he'd be stuck in digital limbo. You can also fight PuPu for some reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t you fight the president of square Enix in Nier?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Who is this Gilgamesh fella? You mean Greg, right?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

jokes posted:

Yeah, you fight both him and the Platinum CEO at the same time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jokes posted:

"CEO of a major JP company" doesn't seem like a job description that entails much humor, so I'm genuinely curious how that conversation went

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Based on SE’s stance on NFTs, I think he just straight up doesn’t give a poo poo about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

man nurse posted:

It’s funny, despite going to absolute 100% completion on 15 both PS and PC, I’ve never felt compelled to even touch the DLC episodes. I think what appeals to me about the main game, namely exploring at your leisure and camping out doing bro poo poo seems like it would largely be lost in favor of solo outings focusing on new and unique mechanics which is just….eh.

The Prompto DLC rules because it's basically a Metal Gear mission.