Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

chris had "internet troubles"? That sounds like the bullshit I spout when I'm too hungover to go to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

clown shoes posted:

The Rise of Skywalker and The Mandolorian killed any interest I had in Star Wars and drat this Bubba Fett show sounds terrible. It's all just fan service. Their Picard show also kept me mostly away from that too. These guys are providing a public service.

I like the Mando and Fett shows, but have no desire to ever revisit the movies outside of the OT. If you didn't like Mando, you'll probably not like Fett

I do have similar complaints about Fett. I find the Tuskin portion a lot more compelling, and wish the show was just him living among them.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I like the Mando and Fett shows, but have no desire to ever revisit the movies outside of the OT. If you didn't like Mando, you'll probably not like Fett

I do have similar complaints about Fett. I find the Tuskin portion a lot more compelling, and wish the show was just him living among them.

The Sand People stuff is the only good part of the show. Except for the mayor’s majordomo, all of the present day stuff is terrible, and Boba is Jon Snow-level dumb. Really, you’re going to accept a rancor and Danny Trejo as a gift from the Hutts?

But the Neutrinos from TMNT are in the show now, so maybe that’s up someone’s alley.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The biggest sin is that it’s about Boba Fett and is fuckin boring. Should have just been the Scorpion to Mando’s SubZero and had a palette swapped show with him being badass and bounty hunting before Empire.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm the opposite. The Tusken stuff bores the balls off me, and the underworld stuff is more interesting. I have only watched one episode, though, because i keep forgetting the show exists.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I do like all the other examples of gleep glops in Bubba Fitt and Mando, like the other Hutts. Big into Girlboss Hutt and would like to see more

Otherwise Mando is fun on its own and BF I’m hoping will sort itself out

teen witch fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 12, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

I'm the opposite. The Tusken stuff bores the balls off me, and the underworld stuff is more interesting. I have only watched one episode, though, because i keep forgetting the show exists.

The second episode is where the Tusken stuff kicks rear end.

teen witch posted:

I do like all the other examples of gleep glops in Bubba Fitt and Mando, like the other Hutts. Big into Girlboss Hutt and would like to see more

Otherwise Mando is fun on its own and BF I’m hoping will sort itself out

Please fix your spoiler tags.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like the new Randy Newman impression/character from the Toy Story episode but was sad to see no mention of Keanu's Brian the Intern in the Matrix one.

I kind of phased in and out on both episodes so maybe I just missed Brian. I think that, for the most part, it's harder for them to land jokes on objectively good movies and just abut every truly memorable send up is them tearing apart a total piece of poo poo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, the new Space Jam episode made me mad. At least the original has some charm in it's badness - this new one sounds soulless.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The Deleter posted:

Man, the new Space Jam episode made me mad. At least the original has some charm in it's badness - this new one sounds soulless.

It really is. The insane amount of IP poo poo being dumped in your eyeballs for 2/3s of the movie is insufferable. There are actually some good looney tunes gags buried under the morass of WB properties, but nothing can overcome the sheer weight of HEY YOU RECOGNIZE THIS.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

mweber posted:

The Sand People stuff is the only good part of the show. Except for the mayor’s majordomo, all of the present day stuff is terrible, and Boba is Jon Snow-level dumb. Really, you’re going to accept a rancor and Danny Trejo as a gift from the Hutts?

Everything in your spoiler tag are reasons I don't want to watch it. The universe is endless and we're rehashing the same poo poo over and over and over again.

The Deleter posted:

I watched a YouTube video on Spider-Man: No Way Home yesterday that had a quick clip from Space Jam and it was Rick and Morty. I nearly threw up.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
gently caress, I completely forgot about Rick & Morty showing up. Christ this movie is insufferable.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I fell asleep twice trying to watch it, it is that bad. What’s even worse is that there are moments that do work! It shows that they CAN they just…won’t! Gotta clown car IPs into a kids movie. I loved the OG space jam. I love a clockwork orange. It doesn’t mean I love them together. In fact I very much like having space between beloved movie from childhood and film where gang rape is a plot point. Ne’er the two should meet.

Also why the gently caress did this need to be two hours long, why are films this loving long these days. Unless if it’s a huge epic or art house, it is such a turn off.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

teen witch posted:

I fell asleep twice trying to watch it, it is that bad. What’s even worse is that there are moments that do work! It shows that they CAN they just…won’t! Gotta clown car IPs into a kids movie. I loved the OG space jam. I love a clockwork orange. It doesn’t mean I love them together. In fact I very much like having space between beloved movie from childhood and film where gang rape is a plot point. Ne’er the two should meet.

Also why the gently caress did this need to be two hours long, why are films this loving long these days. Unless if it’s a huge epic or art house, it is such a turn off.

a kids movie should be 80 minutes, no more than 90.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

clown shoes posted:

Everything in your spoiler tag are reasons I don't want to watch it. The universe is endless and we're rehashing the same poo poo over and over and over again.

But this one has a bow in her hair!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those CG hutts look like absolute dog poo poo and I can't believe they thought that was good enough to go out the door.

The stuff with Fett and the Tusken's was interesting but that's over now. As others mentioned, the present day stuff is fuckin boring.

I'm 99% sure this originally started out as a movie. The pacing is off. I bet when it's all done, you could trim a lot of this and end up with something around 2.5 hours.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 12, 2022

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

If you ever want to have a great day, queue up all the episodes with Angelica Jade Bastién and just listen to them in order.

"Slamming slime, Eric?"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

clown shoes posted:

If you ever want to have a great day, queue up all the episodes with Angelica Jade Bastién and just listen to them in order.

"Slamming slime, Eric?"

I adore her and realize I haven’t seen her on IG in a tich. Hope she’s doing well.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

teen witch posted:

I adore her and realize I haven’t seen her on IG in a tich. Hope she’s doing well.

She is co-hosting the companion podcast for Station Eleven, which is the best show of the year.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

clown shoes posted:

If you ever want to have a great day, queue up all the episodes with Angelica Jade Bastién Chelsea Jupin and just listen to them in order.

Not to slander Angelica as she's hilarious but once you're done with those eps Chelsea's appearances are great as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Not to slander Angelica as she's hilarious but once you're done with those eps Chelsea's appearances are great as well.

Chelsea was on the episode about "While You were Sleeping" and...........I am totally blanking out on what else.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Jiro posted:

Chelsea was on the episode about "While You were Sleeping" and...........I am totally blanking out on what else.

What Women Want, the episode featuring time-travelling Alan Alda

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can’t stop saying serververse send belp

SRVRVrrsss

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Yeah, I've heard them all before, this is a mix I've put together to listen to while doing poo poo around the house. She might be my next mix, and the wives mailbag if I can find it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm not going to defend the Space Jam movie, but weren't the classic Looney Tunes cartoons chock full of borrowed IP and references that were over the heads of kids in the 30s (much less kids watching them decades after)? Like, I didn't know who Peter Lorre or Edward G Robinson were until high school, but I knew their impressions from the cartoons from the time I was six.

Knock em for lazy references, but Looney Tunes was already the Ready Player One of its time from back when WB actually had iconic stars and stories

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm not going to defend the Space Jam movie, but weren't the classic Looney Tunes cartoons chock full of borrowed IP and references that were over the heads of kids in the 30s (much less kids watching them decades after)? Like, I didn't know who Peter Lorre or Edward G Robinson were until high school, but I knew their impressions from the cartoons from the time I was six.

Knock em for lazy references, but Looney Tunes was already the Ready Player One of its time from back when WB actually had iconic stars and stories

The Looney Tunes weren't explicitly for kids back in the day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Modern Leper posted:

I feel like these are very different things, though. The Looney Tunes of old would make jokes referencing what was popular at the time (and kids like me watching them decades later wouldn't even know the things they were referencing, so the jokes would still have to stand on their own, or at least be sort of silly).

The new Space Jam is the most self referential piece of media I've ever seen a studio every put out. On the way to Looney Tunes Land, Lebron takes a quick journey through Harry Potter Land, because WB owns that. Lebron and Bugs go to Metropolis for about 2 minutes, because WB has the rights to DC. Many (many) more examples of this happen. This all happens because the movie tells you Lebron has been sucked into the WB streaming servers. It's making WB into the new Disney, turning the movie into a giant commercial for all of their property. It's a shareholder meeting announcing a new WB streaming service.

It's loving insane that they somehow tailored a movie around it.

Animaniacs (the 90's version, and the new, surprisingly good version) makes references to things popular that kids and/or adults will get, just like Looney Tunes used to. That's not what the new Space Jam movie does.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Modern Leper posted:

Throwing in a spoof or parody of an actor or movie isn't even remotely the same thing or even the same intent as the poo poo RPO and Space Jam 2 do. Those cartoons would do that stuff for a laugh and they went through the effort of crafting a joke. RPO and Space Jam 2 do it for nothing more than "HEY I KNOW THAT THING"

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 13, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Throwing in a spoof or parody of an actor or movie isn't even remotely the same thing or even the same intent as the poo poo RPO and Space Jam 2. Those cartoons would do that stuff for a laughs and they went through the effort of crafting a joke. RPO and Space Jam 2 do it for nothing more than "HEY I KNOW THAT THING"

Even RPO, as horrible as it was, wasn't a long commercial for one studio or person. Spielberg had the presence of mind to almost entirely omit his own IP from RPO to not make the movie seem like a masturbation fantasy, which he said in interviews. (He included the Back to the Future Delorean, even though he produced those movies, because he felt that car was too central to the book to omit, but he cut everything else that made reference to one of his own movies.)

The new Space Jam went hard the other direction.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Modern Leper posted:

Taught me some Shakespeare and a little opera.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thrawn527 posted:

The second episode is where the Tusken stuff kicks rear end.

Please fix your spoiler tags.

...You lied to me. The Tusken stuff is rea bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

...You lied to me. The Tusken stuff is rea bad.

I mean, if you don’t like Boba Fett and a tribe of Tusken Raiders taking down a train on Tatooine, Old West style…I don’t really know what to say, other than you’re never going to like this show.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, if you don’t like Boba Fett and a tribe of Tusken Raiders taking down a train on Tatooine, Old West style…I don’t really know what to say, other than you’re never going to like this show.

That part was fine but that vision and long DIY Gaffe Stick scene that went on until the point of parody and then dancing and it smacks of "savior of these noble savages" and "Boba Fett: he ain't so bad!" is really weird.

So yeah, i'm probably jumping off the show,, or at least skipping Dances with Banthas parts.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

yeah but that bit where that one tusken kamikaze slammed their speeder into the train and jumped onto the side really was :krad: and I'm glad it got a shout out in the ep

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Listening to The Matrix WLM currently and they've completely slid into "old man yells at cloud" territory. Cabin preferring Reloaded Burly Brawl fights scenes to modern "Marvel" scenes is ridiculous. Then making GBS threads on the Animatrix.
Get the gently caress outta here

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
he ain't wrong. except maybe about the animatrix, i haven't seen it. but i do vividly remember the matrix sequel's action scenes better than the entire mcu. the army of agent smith's looked like poo poo, but it was still more memorable and ambitious than "CGI men take turns punching each other through buildings, makes a quip" x 28. there's a reason people still talk about it and not, uh, that scene where peter parker calls a drone strike on his classmates.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Nonsense

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Burly Brawl always looked like poo poo. I remember that being my main takeaway when I saw Reloaded in the theater. That the tech wasn’t quiiiite there yet, making them look like animated rubber band men often. And the fight was pointless, as Neo just fucks off at one point when he gets bored. So it looked bad, and was a waste of time.

I’ve come around A LOT on the Matrix sequels over the years. But the Burly Brawl has always been garbage.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's ok to not like modern action movies, but let's be real the burly brawl always sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The part in the space jam episode where cabin says he like RPO better than the new space jam sealed it for me that I will never watch this movie. I loathe RPO. It's the most self indulgent insert fantasy I've ever seen and the fellating of popular culture from one very specific era is nauseating. I can't imagine another movie being worse than that and Chris' comments to that fact is startling.