Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

incredible. I feel like a kid in a YA novel when he gets told there's a whole other world hiding in plain sight

It's called Europe.

It's really gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The first openly aired movie

Hehe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked at the Euovision winners. The only one I recognize is ABBA in 1974 doing Waterloo.

Do countries not put forth their best? I mean, you'd think at some point the UK would have put out some famous band that would win due to sheet popularity. Or is that not allowed?

E: Oh wait...Sandie Shaw from the UK in 1967. And I only know here due to her working with Morrissey or something like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

incredible. I feel like a kid in a YA novel when he gets told there's a whole other world hiding in plain sight

Yup exactly how I felt in 2010 when I was unplugged. I assumed it was a recent thing like American Idol and then found out it's been going forever.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked at the Euovision winners. The only one I recognize is ABBA in 1974 doing Waterloo.

Do countries not put forth their best? I mean, you'd think at some point the UK would have put out some famous band that would win due to sheet popularity. Or is that not allowed?

E: Oh wait...Sandie Shaw from the UK in 1967. And I only know here due to her working with Morrissey or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXuHgqP9jc

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if they called it 'Scream 5' people would think 'jeez that sounds like it must be getting old' but if you just call it 'Scream' you can keep reusing the same ideas and nobody is the wiser!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It really should be illegal to give a movie the same title as the original if it isn't actually a remake.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh found another one. Celine Dion...somehow representing Switzerland. Haha.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Halloween series now has three movies called Halloween and two called Halloween 2. One of the ones called Halloween is a sequel to another called Halloween, but isn't called Halloween 2.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

this movie was an ok comedy honestly? I mean for 2020 that's a lot

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Groovelord Neato posted:

It really should be illegal to give a movie the same title as the original if it isn't actually a remake.

They should have stuck with tradition and called it The Scream.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Scr5m. Duh

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

it's five cream duh

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't know about allowed, but in addition to be being popular, Eurovision is also kind of a joke, that mostly everyone is kind of in on I think. I think most of the countries pick their entry by way of a national song contest also. I think it's the kind of thing already established musicians don't need and don't want to do, though there's exceptions here and there of course and that's not to say things are exactly the same now as they were in the 60s and 70s.

fake edit: Not to mention that actually winning means that that country is supposed to host the next one, and it's usually pretty expensive to do so.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 12, 2022

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
this is the only eurovision song that stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDF2Q4WiGk

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stink Billyums posted:

this is the only eurovision song that stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDF2Q4WiGk

Ron Howard Narrator: "They didn't win."

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.
The only Eurovision song I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKAf6YX_7M

(sadly, I actually do like it...)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ultra posted:

It owns

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember the lame world peace song russia entered for Eurovision 2015 during the war in Donbass. Someone laid the song over footage of war crimes and it was much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8oPJx3OQcU

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 12, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNweec5olYw

This is one of the most gif-worthy vids I've ever seen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Space Kablooey posted:

I don't know for sure if she is fluent but she has a bunch of other songs in English on her Spotify, so this isnt just an one off. speaking from experience, at some point she has to have started to pick some things up here and there (pronunciation wise) just by exposure to the language alone.

even if it was phonetic singing so what? back when motown was a thing the studios had some of those groups do it and it loving ruled

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait....Eurovision is way older than the EU? What the hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

My dad was a year old when it started lol. It's older than European Economic Community/Common Market one of the precursors to the EU.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stephenthinkpad posted:

that whole ww2 thing happened because somebody's dancing lederhosen act was panned

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Waltzing Along posted:

It really depends, some countries actively not try not to win so that they don't end up hosting the drat thing like previous poster said.

Some countries send gimmicks or "ehh", usually filler.

Some countries, depending on the year go full TRYHARD mode and try to either send the most "talented" or the most bombastic acts.

For an already accomplished singer/band Eurovision is like poison. You gotta commit to something you might not even qualify, let alone lose at the finals which is not the best career move.

It's good for local bands to get their 15 minute in a global-ish stage. ABBA, Celine Dion are like anomalies and back when it had some sort of legitimacy.

We watch it for the drama, national voting and the GBS Eurovision thread live watching which os objectively the most thrilling thing happened in 2021

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 12, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The real artists usually stay away from it. It's basically a huge gimmick

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Ultra posted:

This is kind of great.

Blue jeans and bloody tears is going to be stuck in my head for the next few days.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 12, 2022

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Zzulu posted:

The real artists usually stay away from it. It's basically a huge gimmick

Last years UK entry was apparently an already known / successful guy, imagine getting remembered forever as the double zero act. The song wasn't bad, like, it's entirely political voting and the backlash from it being "Bloody ell those smug frog eaters just can't stomach we're being free now!" was just glorious as well

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It looks like Paramount+ is getting into the "pay way too much for a direct-to-streaming action movie" game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvmcRVtABY

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

even if it was phonetic singing so what? back when motown was a thing the studios had some of those groups do it and it loving ruled

i think you quoted the wrong post. i don't think she is just phonetic singing. i don't really care either way tbh, i just thought it didn't track

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stephenthinkpad posted:

the idea of the EU stretches back to the 50s with the treaty of rome

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In Soviet Russia, Novak Slovaks you!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the idea of the EU stretches back to the 50s with the treaty of rome

Not actually the EU and like I posted Eurovision predates the Common Market (Treaty of Rome is 1957 Eurovision started in 1956).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Space Kablooey posted:

i think you quoted the wrong post. i don't think she is just phonetic singing. i don't really care either way tbh, i just thought it didn't track

oh i was just saying idgaf if they don't know the language if the song is good enough

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

evil dies tonight

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Novak “BJ” Slovak
:wink:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

evil dies tonight

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh i was just saying idgaf if they don't know the language if the song is good enough

oh, me neither.

in sum:

Dandywalken posted:

evil dies tonight

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no word of lie, my #1 goal in life is to work at the eurovision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Galewolf posted:

It really depends, some countries actively not try not to win so that they don't end up hosting the drat thing like previous poster said.

Ah, the ol' "My Lovely Horse" gambit