Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Season 15 was real bad and felt like modern simpsons ok bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dongicus posted:

:byewhore:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The only episodes I thought were weak were the 2020 episode and the episode where they decide to go to Ireland.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I thought the 2020 recap was really weak too. For one thing, the year itself was bad enough that I feel 0 need to watch clips of things that happened. For another, it just wasn't that funny or well-done. It felt almost like a Youtube sketch or something, not like an actual episode of Always Sunny but maybe a extra little webisode that they'd put up online.

Also gave me shades of late-era Simpsons when they try to cover something "topical" 12+ months after it would have felt relevant. I spent a year watching all those things happen live and reading the entire internet make jokes about it -- it seems weird for an established sitcom to create an episode that doesn't air until over a year later, just so I can watch their Official Always Sunny version of those jokes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

thoughts on season 15:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Can't let any opportunity to post this pass me by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85Q56k31FI

Okay I just found this in the comments and my mind is blown:

"My theory: Frank gave these Jean shorts to Ben. These shorts likely came from the denim they found and boiled from underneath the bridge. Z hung out in the same places as Frank and Charlie, so if he blew out a pair of Jean shorts, he probably would’ve discarded them under the bridge. Charlie is a master seamstress, so he could’ve repaired them.

Ergo, I think the Jean shorts Z is admiring are actually his own pair"

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think so yeah, there have been heartfelt moments on the show but Mac Finds his Pride is the only episode that does a 100% sincere emotional ending that it plays straight right to the finish. It's one of those rare times that one of the characters is treated with (and deserving of) respect and dignity.

Wait are there people that really think this? Lol Mac is an impossibly huge piece of poo poo, he doesn’t deserve any sort of respect. He’s a self-hating transphobe that actively worked against his own community on numerous occasions. The whole dance routine is literally the only moment on this show that felt like a complete dud to me. Like yeah, I’m sure Frank — the guy who admitted to killing people in his sweatshops — is really going to have a teary-eyed revelation over an interpretive dance :rolleyes:

I get it Rob, you’ve got this perfect physique now and you want show it off but it was just jarring and transparently self gratifying.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

NiceGuy posted:

Wait are there people that really think this? Lol Mac is an impossibly huge piece of poo poo, he doesn’t deserve any sort of respect. He’s a self-hating transphobe that actively worked against his own community on numerous occasions. The whole dance routine is literally the only moment on this show that felt like a complete dud to me. Like yeah, I’m sure Frank — the guy who admitted to killing people in his sweatshops — is really going to have a teary-eyed revelation over an interpretive dance :rolleyes:

I get it Rob, you’ve got this perfect physique now and you want show it off but it was just jarring and transparently self gratifying.

otoh, it was great and landed perfectly

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

NiceGuy posted:

Just because the character is an otherwise bad person doesn't mean their struggles to find identity are less valid. It's a little weird too even consider it a self gratifying thing. Bad people can have inner turmoil and confusion. Especially when it comes to identity. Also you're completely ignoring all of the mental health issues associated with his relationship with his father which the episode also explicitly tells you.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dongicus posted:

I thought the monkey episode and the Ireland episodes were pretty good. Did not enjoy the 2020 episode at all. The show just doesn't work when it's specifically topical.

Any TV show in its 15th season is going to be past its prime and Sunny is no exception but the nature of the show being a pure, almost cartoonish comedy (rather than most sitcoms that have some element of drama/character development etc) as well as short seasons keeps it somewhat fresh, to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

No Dignity posted:

thoughts on season 15:

Frank ate a poopie though, he’s at least on Dennis’ level.

I’m ambivalent about most of this season, but I thought all the Mac and Charlie stuff was great and the Ireland episodes in general were way better than most of the last couple of seasons. I just wish the season hadn’t been so short.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

NiceGuy posted:

wash it out with some gatorade

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

Can't let any opportunity to post this pass me by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85Q56k31FI

just incredible line delivery after incredible line delivery

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I do like that the rest of the gang can't believe that someone named Ronald McDonald would believe that his dad's real name was Luther Vandross.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

NiceGuy posted:

lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cockblocktopus posted:

I do like that the rest of the gang can't believe that someone named Ronald McDonald would believe that his dad's real name was Luther Vandross.

I'm really surprised McDonald has never hit them up for some obvious brand synergy deal. Serve Shamrock Shakes at Paddy's, get some kitten mittens for the happy meals, etc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how clickbait sites are mining the podcast for articles because I've seen more than one headline in my news feed about Glenn's ancient legal trouble that he just brought up recently.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

muscles like this! posted:

It is funny how clickbait sites are mining the podcast for articles because I've seen more than one headline in my news feed about Glenn's ancient legal trouble that he just brought up recently.

Yea the day after that I googled just to see if the mugshots were up, since they said it was Florida and I was curious. Didn't see what I was looking for, just countless articles repeating the story poorly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guess I'm the only poster who actually liked the 2020 ep. The bad greenscreen with them looking confused had me cackling

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Shageletic posted:

Guess I'm the only poster who actually liked the 2020 ep. The bad greenscreen with them looking confused had me cackling

My partner and I enjoyed it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was fun but not like a top tier episode or anything like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When the Kanye reveal happened I was like

Oh right

Yeah that happened

I had literally put that in the "ancient curiosities" mental bin next to the guy who died laughing at a drunk donkey eating figs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Same. We all spent a solid year laughing about it and now it's completely memoryholed. Probably some sort of mental self defense mechanism.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

did anyone at least acknowledge that a black guy was already president? that was a thing

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

it would be weird if there was a black guy and there werent like, constantly acknowledging it

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

did anyone at least acknowledge that a black guy was already president? that was a thing

Oh man I forgot about Obamaaaa!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Are they just releasing one episode of their podcast a week now? I've been spoiled.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I truly love this show. Ireland season was great. Can't wait for more.

Gonna check out this podcast.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Blooper reel is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDFB16TOoo

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Danny, look at me..."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh man I forgot about Obamaaaa!

I love his delivery on that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"Danny, look at me..."

The meatball scene and the castle buying scene must have taken ages to get through. Also as usual Kaitlin breaking up the least of all of them.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I love how improved the Dutch bit looks and hearing Glenn crack up a bit at himself when he comes up with the pasta line.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

So I haven't seen this scene on my rewatch and I'm wondering if I just imagined it in the first place. There's an episode where Frank says "Are you pulling my dick? Are you pulling my dick, bro?", right?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiQksclSII

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh, duh. Thanks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to binging season 15. The first three episodes were total duds for me that felt really forced, but I loved the rest of the season.

The 2020 recap is a great example of why they should not try to be topical. The actual real life situations were somehow more dumb than anything the characters do on the show. I did like that they at least acknowledged this with their reaction shots at the end, though.

Lethal Weapon 7 episode is yet another that they've been doing once or twice per season in the later seasons where the characters are reduced to being a soapbox for the writers. See also: Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool from the last season.

The skating rink episode fell flat for me because it felt like they were trying to simultaneously make a parody of flashback origin episodes while also wanting us to take it seriously and it just didn't work. It also had an awful lot of very ham-fisted jokes which I couldn't tell were intentionally bad or not.

The rest, though, I thought it was great. About as good as the show has ever been. I loved the moments of character growth we got with Charlie, Frank, and Mac. The moderately heavy moment with Charlie in the final episode got to me a little, and I don't think that having the episode end on a lighter note undercut it at all.

I think at this stage in the show's life I wouldn't mind seeing them do short season-long arcs, and I'd definitely like them to ditch any of the topical/soapbox stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Finally got around to binging season 15. The first three episodes were total duds for me that felt really forced, but I loved the rest of the season.

The 2020 recap is a great example of why they should not try to be topical. The actual real life situations were somehow more dumb than anything the characters do on the show. I did like that they at least acknowledged this with their reaction shots at the end, though.

Lethal Weapon 7 episode is yet another that they've been doing once or twice per season in the later seasons where the characters are reduced to being a soapbox for the writers. See also: Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool from the last season.

The skating rink episode fell flat for me because it felt like they were trying to simultaneously make a parody of flashback origin episodes while also wanting us to take it seriously and it just didn't work. It also had an awful lot of very ham-fisted jokes which I couldn't tell were intentionally bad or not.

The rest, though, I thought it was great. About as good as the show has ever been. I loved the moments of character growth we got with Charlie, Frank, and Mac. The moderately heavy moment with Charlie in the final episode got to me a little, and I don't think that having the episode end on a lighter note undercut it at all.

I think at this stage in the show's life I wouldn't mind seeing them do short season-long arcs, and I'd definitely like them to ditch any of the topical/soapbox stuff.

Yeah that's almost exactly how I felt about this season too. The non-ireland episodes were all big misses for me, and when the gang's take on real life topical issues somehow manages to be less crazy than those issues in real life, that's not working great either.

The best political commentary sunny episodes are generally a bit more subtle and a bit more insane, where they cank the absurdity up to 11. It's hard to parody issues that are already beyond parody.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Furthermore, did anyone want to be reminded of stuff from 2020? Let alone 3 weeks from 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Furthermore, did anyone want to be reminded of stuff from 2020? Let alone 3 weeks from 2022.

That's a lame excuse. Smart comedy is smart comedy. The problem is they didn't have anything to add, it was just a series of "remember this? wacky!".