Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Boba seems really weak and seems to lose every single fight until someone else saves him. The most fearsome bounty hunter of the galaxy needs daily recharges in a tank that nobody guards. The fact that he gets rescued by Cyberpunk Space Vespa Power Rangers pretty much says it all.

I was actually glad to see him lose that fight because winning would have likely meant a dead BK and that would have been an even bigger bummer than the Tuskens :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

feedmyleg posted:

If you're bummed now, just wait til you see Return of the Jedi!!

"Boba Fett? The feared and infamous bounty hunter?"

*scoff* "you're paying for the name."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

feedmyleg posted:

If you're bummed now, just wait til you see Return of the Jedi!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I21uILf0EkI

Ironic that that was also directed by RR.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate to play the "my immersion" but I just don't think their design fits. Everything in tattoine is drab, run down, rusting and falling apart.

And then you have this 'street gang'

Star wars is a franchise intended for children. I know that. But that gang and that chase really made me think "christ I'm a 30 something dude watching a children's show in the middle of the day"

They fit perfectly. They are exactly what a gang of bored, rebellious teenagers on a world like Tattoine would look like. Nothing but brown and grey? We're gonna go colorful. Droids are a bottom of the barrel oppressed labor class? We're gonna modify our bodies with their parts. I found them entirely realistic for the setting. Also awesome.

This whole episode was great. Just enough camp without too much. The rancor was perfect. Can't wait to see him ridden into battle.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

D-Pad posted:

This whole episode was great. Just enough camp without too much. The rancor was perfect. Can't wait to see him ridden into battle.
I was thinking something else, like riding him around Mos Epsa.

If folks are impressed by Hutts on a floating platform, what will they think of Fett riding his Rancor into town?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

RE: The condition of the bikes. The kids obviously take exceptional pride in maintaining them in cherry shape as a form of self-expression.

We can take that as read from their appearance and it's an easier and more plausible conclusion than thinking the production design team forgot how weathering works for exactly one set of props out of thousands.

It kinda was a missed opportunity to show them stealing the water to clean their stuff, imo.

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2022

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...I'm the only one who liked the Vespa gang, then. That's fine, that's fine...:saddowns:

They looked like a bunch of rich kids cosplaying as badass bikers.

I can totally see them going "Daddy bought me a green speeder bike, but I wanted a BLUE ONE!!!!"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Krrsantan is gonna be such a tsundere when he undoubtedly joints Boba's crew.

"It's not like I like you or anything, baka Boba."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s an argument to be made that Boba’s actions are what got the Tuskens killed. I wonder if they’ll lean into that at all or just have a straight revenge story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s an argument to be made that Boba’s actions are what got the Tuskens killed. I wonder if they’ll lean into that at all or just have a straight revenge story.

I thought his guilt was pretty clearly implied by him brooding over their burning bodies.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Oh...I'm the only one who liked the Vespa gang, then. That's fine, that's fine...:saddowns:

I enjoyed it too. :shobon: The way I saw it was it’s crowded and really small roads so it’s not like they have Jedi reflexes and can go 100 mph+ so it needed to be a little slow. Also TMNT/Power Ranger vibe is dope.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

I think the best part of the vespa gang is the fact that they are making themselves into cyborgs and have flashy vespa speeders with lots of mirrors. So yes, they are Mods :xd:

The chase had no sense of speed though, that was disappointing. I really like that we FINALLY have DT in Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rodriguez is really one of those take it or leave it directors and there never seems to be an in between of loving or hating his stuff.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The casting call for the two lead Vespa kids specified they needed British accents (and Sophie Thatcher's American, so is doing a character voice). If they're following the "British = Core World accent" thing, the gang might not even be from Tatooine originally, and got stuck there when they ran out of money.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Robot Style posted:

The casting call for the two lead Vespa kids specified they needed British accents (and Sophie Thatcher's American, so is doing a character voice). If they're following the "British = Core World accent" thing, the gang might not even be from Tatooine originally, and got stuck there when they ran out of money.

Maybe they're a band touring the Outer Rim and they got all their luggage stolen. No choice but to turn into a life of crimez.

Three episodes in and it really feels like some of this dialogue is just a first pass.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm betting Black Sun is behind everything and the Pykes are just another player getting set up for a gang war.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The mod hovervespas gave me Back to the Future 2 vibes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Man, I don't know if I'm just watching this with a less critical eye or if other people's expectations are way too high, but I thought this and all the other episodes looked totally fine? The speeder chase ruled, I gave a little fist pump when one-eye ramped his bike after being side swiped. I can not wrap my head around what people mean when they say it was "slow." They're winding through the narrow streets and alleys of a city, of course they're not going to be going 100 MPH.

It all looks just fine. I guess I just don't get what people are expecting here so I'm going to assume it's like when goons post something like "oh my god you guys, the CGI in Avengers: Endgame was so bad, it looked like a PS1 cutscene, I busted out laughing in the theater because of how bad it is" and what they're really saying is "hmm yes, I suppose some plebes are entertained by this, but not me."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I appreciate that the star wars TV shows aren't chasing the prestige TV label and it let's me watch them like a 90s action show with a better budget.

I wonder how long before the discussion of Dances with Banthas turns to the topic of fridging in order to motivate Fett.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 12, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

So good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that was a fun episode but i felt like there wasn't much weight to the scene where boba comes back to the destroyed camp. maybe not everyone died and they're coming back to that later??

and i get that the streets were narrow and winding but the speeder chase felt like they were all moving at like 10mph or something, just real slow

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

It all looks just fine. I guess I just don't get what people are expecting here so I'm going to assume it's like when goons post something like "oh my god you guys, the CGI in Avengers: Endgame was so bad, it looked like a PS1 cutscene, I busted out laughing in the theater because of how bad it is" and what they're really saying is "hmm yes, I suppose some plebes are entertained by this, but not me."

Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Personally, I'm on the more Tuskens and fewer bikers side of things. I also appreciate the lack of Jedi in this show, I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm betting Black Sun is behind everything and the Pykes are just another player getting set up for a gang war.

I really thought for a moment this whole thing would be that Boba took over Jabba's territory just to get all the gangs to murder each other, sorta like Sanjuro but with blaster rifles.

But now I may be giving them too much credit.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Moon Slayer posted:

You could just disagree dude. No need to make up arguments in your head.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

You could just disagree dude. No need to make up arguments in your head.

I mean they may not be correct in this specific circumstance, but that is absolutely a thing goons do with TV shows quite frequently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lol I was right about the Rancor Boba gets gifted a rancor calf (pretty big for a baby!) and now he's got a true rancor pit. Also learning about the true nature of Ramcors gives context as to just how devastated Jabba's Rancor wrangler was when it died. I think I remember hearing that he had raised it since it was a baby and was planning on taking it off world not long after Luke had arrived. .

Getting into the details of Jabba's former empire, I won't be shocked if they address that for how feared and powerful he was, he had two Rebel goobers infiltrate his organization over two years. Guessing Boba collected a hefty sum to simply state the obvious to Jabba.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Panfilo posted:

Lol I was right about the Rancor Boba gets gifted a rancor calf (pretty big for a baby!) and now he's got a true rancor pit. Also learning about the true nature of Ramcors gives context as to just how devastated Jabba's Rancor wrangler was when it died. I think I remember hearing that he had raised it since it was a baby and was planning on taking it off world not long after Luke had arrived. .

don't watch bad batch

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Septimius posted:

Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Personally, I'm on the more Tuskens and fewer bikers side of things. I also appreciate the lack of Jedi in this show, I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.
The way you get a group of people like Jedi to look badass is to show them indirectly. Boba Fett was seen as a badass in the original trilogy because he was barely shown.

Granted in this series Boba is a guy that interacted with Jedi pretty directly; a Jedi defeated his father, another one later decapitated his father, and another one kicked off the whole sail barge incident. So unlike Din these are not merely some mysterious space wizards. But I could see the level of trauma making them into some nightmare Boba doesn't want to confront-

Space wizard killed his dad
Space wizard (indirectly) got him stuck in the sarlacc pit
Space wizard was part of the myth for local tuskens and wiped out a whole tribe

Given all this, who do you think Boba is going to blame for all his misfortune? Though it'll be funny if he's like 'everything the Jedi have done on tattoine has been nothing but trouble' and the big bad is like 'what the gently caress is a Jedi?'

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The Jabba throneroom scenes. The scene approaching the teens. The scenes with the Hutts. The scenes across the Mayor's reception desk. The scene of the speeder approach.

It's weird how much of this show is two groups of people standing two meters apart and going:
"You will fear and respect me."
"I do not fear and respect you."
"Perhaps I will do something to make you fear and respect me."
"Ok."

It feels like a school play. Is it actually a covid thing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

VagueRant posted:

The Jabba throneroom scenes. The scene approaching the teens. The scenes with the Hutts. The scenes across the Mayor's reception desk. The scene of the speeder approach.

It's weird how much of this show is two groups of people standing two meters apart and going:
"You will fear and respect me."
"I do not fear and respect you."
"Perhaps I will do something to make you fear and respect me."
"Ok."

It feels like a school play. Is it actually a covid thing?

https://youtu.be/Y7EB4ZYWKYI

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

The speeder chase ruled, I gave a little fist pump when one-eye ramped his bike after being side swiped. I can not wrap my head around what people mean when they say it was "slow." They're winding through the narrow streets and alleys of a city, of course they're not going to be going 100 MPH.

Yeah, usually the way stuff like this goes is that the Director (or Executive Producer in the case of series like this) will ask the VFX team for a specific speed for these chases, see what it looks like, say it feels too slow, and then ask to make it faster and faster until it's completely unrealistic. It looks like at least parts of this were filmed practically, so they probably had to match the realistic speeds that were set during filming. It doesn't seem to be significantly slower than parts of the speeder chase in Solo, which was also filmed practically.

I think what made this chase feel particularly slow is a lack of parallax. A lot of the shots are from directly in front of or behind the speeders, so we don't get the sensation of things whipping past the camera as much. Even the shots where the speeders are moving through the frame have them coming towards or away from the camera, which is difficult to sell as "fast" in a 2D image where you can't actually perceive the change in depth.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 12, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yall are spoiled by IG-11's speeder rampage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Robot Style posted:

it's star wars

people have british accents when they feel like it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Literally the only thing that bothered me about the chase part was that the bikes are all different colors. I have no idea why this stood out to me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

honestly it should have been a gag where you think it's glass but it's a hologram I would have laughed my rear end off

like, who need an analog painting in star wars?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

D-Pad posted:

I mean they may not be correct in this specific circumstance, but that is absolutely a thing goons do with TV shows quite frequently.

There is plenty of people in the thread who very vocally like the show who thought the chase didn't look right and I think trying to make it out that they are just being snobby goons trying to hate it is disingenuous.

Septimius posted:

Agreed, If the Jedi show up I can see myself completely losing interest. What makes these side shows interesting to me is that they aren't in it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 12, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s Star Wars, of course Jedi are going to show up. Might as well bail on the show now if that’s your line in the sand.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Man, I don't know if I'm just watching this with a less critical eye or if other people's expectations are way too high, but I thought this and all the other episodes looked totally fine? The speeder chase ruled, I gave a little fist pump when one-eye ramped his bike after being side swiped. I can not wrap my head around what people mean when they say it was "slow." They're winding through the narrow streets and alleys of a city, of course they're not going to be going 100 MPH.

HOnestly I liked the chase scenes but it just felt like they were going 20mph at top speed, which didn't give any real sense of urgency. Other than that, my only real complaint is that it felt like the Tusken tribe were friged.

edit: about the British accents: again, the new kids are Mods, so it only makes sense.

Edit 2: I loving hope to god there are no Jedi showing up. Anyway at this point Luke or Ashoka would be the only ones really (I'm sure there's some minor Jedi from comics or books out there that I don't know about but honestly I don't care).

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 12, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

site posted:

don't watch bad batch

i thought it was fine? It's constrained by the children's cartoon show thing sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what if Vader was the one who wasted all the tuskens cuz he still mad

lmao i would laugh til the end of time