Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Fun times with it in Dead Mount Death Play when the necromancer reverse-isekais to Earth in a 'recently killed body of a descendant' and gets the body's former owner as a ghost sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Stexils posted:

my favorite are the ones where the author doesnt seem to understand what the point of the story theyre writing is so they just keep seesawing with random genre tropes. like introducing a stat system and then making the protagonist so strong it makes the entire stat system completely pointless. or having the protagonist go "well gee i can't just KILL people because of my Japanese Values" and then they buy a slave

that last one isnt even an exaggeration lol

I’ve kind of stopped caring about slavery in isekai. It’s never brought up for any reason other than to give the MC a submissive babe. Like this stuff is just Japanese neo-Gor and ever since I’ve started thinking about it that way I can’t really find the slavery offensive or distasteful anymore. Or at least any more than any other barely covered up fetish on stories. Oh the volume cover for this manga just so happens to have all the girls barefoot???? Whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Oh yeah there was another one where the original owner turned out to be the villain who used dark magic to take over ANOTHER person's body who she was jealous of. And then when it turned out the the ghost inhabiting her original body ended up with a better life than her in the body she stole, the moral of the story was basically "I guess you personally just suck at living."

It took a long time to get there though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
according to some spoiler comments I saw, the original soul or whatever in Lout of Count's Family is just body-swapped with the MC and riding around in the real world in his original body and I'm super curious how that's going to turn out when it finally gets to that point (if the spoilers were accurate)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
In Duchess 50 Tea recipes, the original owner of the body was swapped to where the Duchess came from, and when the two finally communicated near the end because the Duchess was afraid she was cursing her for stealing her body, she just went "omg please don't try to swap back with me I'm finally happy being a commoner not in the spotlight instead of being embroiled in politics the entire time".

Edited, mb

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 13, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Spoilering only the name of the work you're spoiling doesn't seem very effective. Also now I'm spoiled.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Meme Emulator posted:

I’ve kind of stopped caring about slavery in isekai. It’s never brought up for any reason other than to give the MC a submissive babe. Like this stuff is just Japanese neo-Gor and ever since I’ve started thinking about it that way I can’t really find the slavery offensive or distasteful anymore. Or at least any more than any other barely covered up fetish on stories. Oh the volume cover for this manga just so happens to have all the girls barefoot???? Whatever.

ok if a plot contrivance occurs just to give the MC a "submissive babe" i dont think that's a story worth reading, doubly so if the plot contrivance used is slavery

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I'm kind of sad we haven't seen more "Otome Villainess gets reverse isekai'd and now has to live as a VN playing nerd" stories to be honest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, without the cover of aristocracy the former villainess would be shoved in a world they knew nothing about usually with a job they have no understanding of or ability to keep. i remember one non-isekai manga where the body swap never got undone, so the former teen and now adult had to basically start over from nothing with claims of amnesia.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

Oh yeah there was another one where the original owner turned out to be the villain who used dark magic to take over ANOTHER person's body who she was jealous of. And then when it turned out the the ghost inhabiting her original body ended up with a better life than her in the body she stole, the moral of the story was basically "I guess you personally just suck at living."

It took a long time to get there though.
this one's great. The only real conflict between the two is that as long as they're both alive, both of them get sicker and sicker until one of them will die. And they follow through with it, as the mc shoots the og in the face with a gun. I'm not sure if she points out that the og had all the info and abilities that the mc used to escape murder or if thats just something i noticed myself lol.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Does it have a title?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Reason Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

you know it kinda creeps me out how many isekai manga have people eating Orcs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Siegkrow posted:

you know it kinda creeps me out how many isekai manga have people eating Orcs.

That bothers me far less than how often I see “goblins/orcs can breed with any humanoid female” and all that entails.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't remember where it was from, but in one wn goblins were only a threat because of their reproductive speed. that is, they reproduce with other goblins like you'd expect. but there were also a dedicated group of, uh, scholars who insisted that goblins were actually interspecies rape machines based purely on unfounded conjectures. they were rightfully seen as creepy weirdos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm more annoyed by the lack of kobolds in most manga.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't remember where it was from, but in one wn goblins were only a threat because of their reproductive speed. that is, they reproduce with other goblins like you'd expect. but there were also a dedicated group of, uh, scholars who insisted that goblins were actually interspecies rape machines based purely on unfounded conjectures. they were rightfully seen as creepy weirdos.

Sounds like a flubbed jab at Goblin Slayer

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I do like manga/anime kobolds looking like dog-people

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The backstory of that is fascinating, in that it's everyone taking cues from the original thing that introduced kobolds, which ran with a flawed translation of a D&D book that misinterpreted reptilian kobolds making barking sounds as kobolds being dogs, and naturally D&D didn't give a poo poo about what the word "kobold" meant from folklore at all so none of it's even slightly connected to that in either English or Japanese stuff these days.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

this one's great. The only real conflict between the two is that as long as they're both alive, both of them get sicker and sicker until one of them will die. And they follow through with it, as the mc shoots the og in the face with a gun. I'm not sure if she points out that the og had all the info and abilities that the mc used to escape murder or if thats just something i noticed myself lol.

while the story in that one is overall good the og is way more sympathetic than i think the author intended (total spoilers, don't read if you're at all interested in checking the story out)

fate is a real thing in that world and she finds out under the god's plan she's fated to die. which is why she uses the mystic heretical power to body swap with someone else and the mc gets recruited to live in her body instead. ditto for her trying to kill the mc, it's because she has to.

the story seemed weirdly unforgiving toward her as a person even though she literally just didn't want to die because of the whim of some god. especially since the god in question is both incompetent and an rear end in a top hat by any reasonable reading

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

I'm kind of sad we haven't seen more "Otome Villainess gets reverse isekai'd and now has to live as a VN playing nerd" stories to be honest.

The first chapter of one of these came out on mangadex recently, although it was the the writer of the webnovel she came from and not just a random nerd.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stexils posted:

while the story in that one is overall good the og is way more sympathetic than i think the author intended (total spoilers, don't read if you're at all interested in checking the story out)

fate is a real thing in that world and she finds out under the god's plan she's fated to die. which is why she uses the mystic heretical power to body swap with someone else and the mc gets recruited to live in her body instead. ditto for her trying to kill the mc, it's because she has to.

the story seemed weirdly unforgiving toward her as a person even though she literally just didn't want to die because of the whim of some god. especially since the god in question is both incompetent and an rear end in a top hat by any reasonable reading

how many lives does she get to ruin and still remain sympathetic? besides the mc, she also drew the redheaded rival into her murder schemes unwillingly, and eventually murdered her.

Not that the god isnt also an rear end in a top hat

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stexils posted:

Well, in the end the moral of the story was that she could've changed her fate the way the MC did, she just chose to give up and steal someone else's life instead. Which ends up being the source of all her problems.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah. ogs family loved her and were totally cool with breaking off the engagement and she had the same info that let mc negotiate with the Duke. Not to mention she was a crack shot with guns. She had options. All that crap she did to try and kill mc could have been aimed at her fiance instead lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Villainess is the only reliable way to search for them that I know of, does anyone have any good female protagonist isekai they've discovered recently? A few things that I used to read(The Goal Is To Become A Gold Spoon So I Need To Be Completely Invulnerable, Monster Duchess, My Secretly Hot Husband, etc) suddenly had the translation take a nosedive and I had to give them up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been enjoying Secret Lady

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the trope of transmigrating into a corpse and then usurping their body, family and life is very unsettling if you think about it for half a second. it makes the creepy baby with the mind of an adult version seem downright wholesome by comparison.

you say that, but I still think hermit crabs are cute

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Villainess is the only reliable way to search for them that I know of, does anyone have any good female protagonist isekai they've discovered recently? A few things that I used to read(The Goal Is To Become A Gold Spoon So I Need To Be Completely Invulnerable, Monster Duchess, My Secretly Hot Husband, etc) suddenly had the translation take a nosedive and I had to give them up.

The Eccentric Duchess is fun. i like the frame of the protagonist's original life, the original soul of the character she's isekai'd into, and their fused personality being presented as three unique entities with different perspectives on developments in the plot. and as a western isekai it draws on backstory that doesn't show up in most japanese/korean isekais, which is refreshing

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Venuz Patrol posted:

The Eccentric Duchess is fun. i like the frame of the protagonist's original life, the original soul of the character she's isekai'd into, and their fused personality being presented as three unique entities with different perspectives on developments in the plot. and as a western isekai it draws on backstory that doesn't show up in most japanese/korean isekais, which is refreshing

Personally more of a fan of this hook.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Most Korean villainess stories have bad translations on Mangadex unfortunately, the best way to get good readable ones are on Tappytoons or Tapas, but you have to pay for them.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Personally more of a fan of this hook.

Thats actually a hilarious twist to the formula, is it any good?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

The Princess's Double Life: a scam artist is reborn into a fantasy world. Grand Duke Hexen visits her on death row to get her help to become king.

For Better or Worse: I've recommended this when it was known as "Is it Fortune or us it Woe". The MC is reborn as a minor villainess, and sets out to protect her sister who would die in childbirth with the ML's child.

The Great Wish: Sienna's life has been smooth. She is set to become a King on her birthday, so that she may one day become Emperor. Until she starts seeing visions during her sleep that she doesn't understand, and they lead her to interesting new encounters and knowledge.

Another Typical Fantasy Romance: Lithera was your average isekai protagonist, but after her Ever After she realized that obsession wasn't love and kicked the prince to the curb. And then he stabbed her. So now she has a chance to do it over and she's decided to meet her penpal face to face for the first time and marry him instead.

How to get my Husband on my Side: Ruby is desperate to survive, and she'll soon be wed to the man who killed her in the novel. She's faced abuse in both her lives, and is desperate to find out how to act to get on his good side, or at least convince everyone that she's harmless.
TW: Eating Disorder, Abuse, Self Harm, Gaslighting, and Racism

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

RareAcumen posted:

I recently started on:
Villainess MC is the sister of a dead girl whom all the love interest loves and the heroine looks like. She tries to escape by removing herself from the noble society, but everybody likes her. The charm point are the flashback with the two sisters being assholes together in interestingly different ways.
https://mangadex.org/title/6fcd4531-a8f2-43ee-a1a1-b53bfd4726b2/the-bad-ending-of-an-otome

Noble lady overworks herself to death, and reincarnates to the day after her wedding. She tries to be lazy, but somehow fails. Funny and cute.
https://mangadex.org/title/0921290d-65cc-4f05-8c98-08c5fd0a8e71/honey-i-m-going-on-strike

This old one started getting updates again recently:
https://mangadex.org/title/2c58fb86...herself-for-the

And also for something more thirsty:
https://mangadex.org/title/8b34f37a-0181-4f0b-8ce3-01217e9a602c/please-bully-me-miss-villainess

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A jargogle posted:

Thats actually a hilarious twist to the formula, is it any good?

I read up to chapter 20 and I enjoyed it. She's a little gremlin.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

How to get my Husband on my Side: Ruby is desperate to survive, and she'll soon be wed to the man who killed her in the novel. She's faced abuse in both her lives, and is desperate to find out how to act to get on his good side, or at least convince everyone that she's harmless.
TW: Eating Disorder, Abuse, Self Harm, Gaslighting, and Racism

I really enjoy that one because it looks at all these romance tropes through the lens of an abuse victim. The dude isn't a gruff tsundere, at least not as she sees it, he's a potential threat to her. And even though she's pretending to be in love with him (for her own safety), whenever they're alone it's not even slightly romantic because she's terrified of him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 15, 2022

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nihilarian posted:

The Great Wish: Sienna's life has been smooth. She is set to become a King on her birthday, so that she may one day become Emperor. Until she starts seeing visions during her sleep that she doesn't understand, and they lead her to interesting new encounters and knowledge.

The Great Wish is really good. It kind of briefly flirts with typical traits of the knows-their-future stories while also avoiding the usual traps of them. The romance is also really solid and sweet, and both of them are so cute together.

VictualSquid posted:

Noble lady overworks herself to death, and reincarnates to the day after her wedding. She tries to be lazy, but somehow fails. Funny and cute.
https://mangadex.org/title/0921290d-65cc-4f05-8c98-08c5fd0a8e71/honey-i-m-going-on-strike

This one might move too fast for some people but given how some stories just take forever or keep throwing in dumb filler to draw out the romance, it going as fast as it does is a nice change of pace.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
There is definitely a balance between takes to long and far to fast. But if asked id lean towards fast rather than too long most days. Prefer a conclusion to an awkard trail off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh yeah, assuming the "Monster Duchess" that was mentioned is "Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess", it was recently finished under the name: The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter. The translation is fine there.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 15, 2022

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oops

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nihilarian posted:

Oh yeah, assuming the "Monster Duchess" that was mentioned is "Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess", it was recently finished under the name: The Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter. The translation is fine there.

lol they're just ripping the Tapas translation of course it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As a general rule if you find a Korean webcomic translation that's high quality and not on mangadex it's probably pirating tapas.

And yeah, Monstrous Duke's Adopted Daughter is extremely wholesome and heartwarming. They're such an adorable family of giants. :3:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 16, 2022