Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Let's do a detective thing.

So at 11pm two nights ago I lose all internet in the house.

Setup: cheap docsis 2 modem -> edgerouter lite -> netgear gs108 -> the other computers as well as my ubnt access point.

gently caress. reboot. nothing. no pings.

agggg my er lite died. it happens (when the flash storage wears out). i try a factory reset (this sucks as i had 10000 forward rules and dhcp assignments all set up). nothing.

panic.

ok poo poo look for routers online. they're all 2 weeks estimated ship. gently caress. i work from home this is no good

wait, i was a lazy rear end in a top hat and never sent back my stock xfinity modem router thing. plug that in, call xfinity. spend 30 minutes having the lady try to upsell me to the service i already have. they activate, i plug it into my desktop pc, i have internet. cool thanks lady.

ok we're safe. i plug the computer and the lan side of the xfinity router into the switch.

no internet. nothing. at this point i've reset the switch too so everything's lost its lease and i can't ping anything else either.

plug the computer back into the xfinity router direct. internet. plug it into the switch. no internet.

did i kill a dumb gs108?

thats weird. they last forever.

Unplug things one at a time.

wait. its working. when i unplug my Debian server's ethernet cable? what?

i rage power cycle it (this was stupid as i coulda turned its monitor on :haw: and investigated to see what happened. )

everything works fine now.

What the gently caress happened? The only thing I can think of is that some arp table poisoning happened somehow. I don't do any routing or vpn through the linux machine. it just hangs off the network and runs lovely VMs and my plex and stuff.

not sure on the cause of initial incident, but as you were plugging things back together is it possible the Debian box with all of its VMs had a lease that your Xfinity modem handed out?

Not sure if the scopes of the consumer stuff were the same but that would be the first thing I'd look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Right, but even if the lease scopes were different (yes), why would, from my desktop that wasn't being touched, i suddenly stopped being able to ping 8.8.8.8 as soon as i plugged the debian box in? The xfinity router, as lovely as it is, would never hand out the gateway IP as a lease. which would be the only thing that would break that.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the scenario i'm thinking of is your machine which you plugged into the router got handed a lease that conflicted with something on that other box. Wouldn't be an issue until both are plugged in simultaneously.
if you had an IP address conflict between your pinging device and something on the other box, you'd experience intermittent connectivity.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Mmm, yeah. Everything's internally natted on the debian box, it got 10.0.0.12 when i turned its monitor on (again. :haw:) and my desktop was .6.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If there isn't anything in the logs on the Linux box, my best guess is a low level bitflip on the NIC caused it to send just the right nonsense (like in handshaking/QoS stuff) to cause the switch to lock up.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Literally could have been the result of a solar flare OP.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah it's a 1 in a billion edge case and i'm mad at myself for power cycling the server before looking at its status. It's just the weirdest loving networking thing i've ever seen in my life, and i had a ccna cert. i cannot explain it beyond arp table horseshit, but the switch is very dumb and very reliable, and it's all just so....what

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah that's weird.

so are you keeping the xfinity router in there for now?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If nothing is in the logs it's probable the OS never got a notification that anything was wrong. Presumably you had software on the box that would have been trying to use the NIC, and if the driver received notice of a fault it should have been logged.

If it happens again, check if the firmware package for the NIC had a recent update.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

yeah that's weird.

so are you keeping the xfinity router in there for now?

till the weekend, i don't wanna gently caress up my connection during work hours, and i want my plex for after work

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If nothing is in the logs it's probable the OS never got a notification that anything was wrong. Presumably you had software on the box that would have been trying to use the NIC, and if the driver received notice of a fault it should have been logged.

If it happens again, check if the firmware package for the NIC had a recent update.

Yeah, good idea, will do.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

my second monitor - an asus vg27aq - goes into soft power off every time i stand up

or sometimes just of its own accord

and sometimes it just decides to blank itself for a moment, and the very top flickers red before going completely dark

other than that it's acting like the monitor i paid for, four stars :shrug:

updated card drivers, switched hdmidisplayport cables, poked it with my finger, jiggled the power brick around... nothin

e: hdmi is not dp

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 19, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you sit in an office chair with a piston on it? Some DisplayPort monitors shut off when an office chair is operated nearby.

No, I am not pulling your leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voW5kEI7JKE

It's an EMI shielding problem and the solution is to try running your cables differently, or get a different chair.

https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/738618-display-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 19, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Do you sit in an office chair with a piston on it? Some DisplayPort monitors shut off when an office chair is operated nearby.

No, I am not pulling your leg.

well innat somethin

efb

i do, in fact, and the cloth surface generates a hell of a zap when i get up or move... and the intermittent flickers tend to happen when i look over at the other screen, which i can't do without shifting in my chair, and i am definitely not replacing the chair so it's shieldin' time

thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some ferrite cores on the cable ends are often effective

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in a similar vein, I had a fun problem it took me a while to identify; static build-up and a metal desk frame meant any, even mild, zap was enough to trip my mouse into waking my desktop. it's conditional on humidity, so it would come and go seasonally, sometimes daily in fall and spring

I'm fairly certain it's the cable in conjunction with the mouse, as it stops if I unplug the mouse-end of the cable (it's a trackball with a usb a to usb micro cable) so I need to do what jonny suggests

it doesn't help that I routed my cables out of view by running them parallel in a bundle to the desk frame at the back, so any zaps on the desk or through a different cable is enough

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 19, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I once upgraded a 3D printer with a new faster control board, and from then on it would shut down about 30 seconds after starting a print. The point at which it would shut down was different from print to print, but almost identical every time I would retry any given file.

I spent literally weeks digging into every possible combination of hardware and software, and eventually traced it down to the stepper motor driver boards getting reset for some reason. After over a month I had the whole thing pulled apart with multiple data lines connected to an oscilloscope, decoding the driver commands and trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on and still seeing no reason for it to fail. Frustrated, I was idly pushing the extruder carriage back and forth, and suddenly the oscilloscope triggered on an 80 volt spike.

In the end it turned out something about the physical configuration of the extruder carriage -- I decided it was either the plastic rollers rubbing on the frame, or the drive belt acting like a Van De Graaff generator -- was building up static electricity from motion, which would reach about 80 volts and then discharge through some route I never found into the control circuitry, resetting the drivers. Presumably it had been doing this all along, and the older control board just wasn't as sensitive. I ran a ground wire from the carriage frame to the power supply and instantly everything worked perfectly.

:science:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^that is completely bonkers, and the way you discovered it is peak science

Agile Vector posted:

in a similar vein, I had a fun problem it took me a while to identify; static build-up and a metal desk frame meant any, even mild, zap was enough to trip my mouse into waking my desktop. it's conditional on humidity, so it would come and go seasonally, sometimes daily in fall and spring

I'm fairly certain it's the cable in conjunction with the mouse, as it stops if I unplug the mouse-end of the cable (it's a trackball with a usb a to usb micro cable) so I need to do what jonny suggests

it doesn't help that I routed my cables out of view by running them parallel in a bundle to the desk frame at the back, so any zaps on the desk or through a different cable is enough

powercfg /lastwake blames my case's power button for half of my phantom wakeups which, hey hey, happen right after i get up

that must be some emp

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2022

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Make sure you are using a cable that came in a box with the Display port or HDMI logo on it from a reputable retailer (shipped/sold by amazon cables usually pass verification). Until you can get a new cable that's guaranteed to meet spec , try disabling any adaptive sync if it's enabled. Try a different surge suppressor, and if your surge suppressor has relays in it, make sure the monitor is not powered through a port with a relay. Double check that updates haven't reverted your driver version to something ancient.

A little bit of strain over a long enough time will damage the cable, some monitors do not handle adaptive sync well, and HDMI/Displayport can be very sensitive to electical jitter.

Edit: if you've got one of those sensing power strips, you can get corrosion on the relay contacts. Taking it apart and using contact cleaner on it will usually fix it.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 19, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

heh that's funny, cause i changed the cable out first for one of these during troubleshooting, and that changed the complaint from "it often flickers" into "sometimes it just shuts off". That made me suspicious that it was a static something, because a cable's just an antenna that two people think they aren't sharing, but i didn't get the connection between the outages and my rear end until i shut the light off, THEN got up, and noticed everything behind me got dark for no reason

it's plugged into the same UPS the computer is (an APC back-ups 1500), but I see it's in the "MASTER" slot, next to one labelled "CONTROLLED BY MASTER"... so yeah, there's probably a relay in the vicinity. I've moved it to one of the battery ones instead; good thought :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My laser printer is on the same circuit as my 13.8v 50 amp linear power supply for my ham gear. If the power supply switch is on, the printer goes full pudding brain and prints about 3 lines of the first page of anything I send, and then just cycles the whole paper tray contents through it. Power supply off, prints perfectly.

My suspicion is that on startup, the laser printer and extremely large transformer in the ham power supply interact in a deleterious fashion, and it fritzes out its internal cpu or whatever.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
HDMI is a really high throughput link - the latest version goes up to 48gbps. Even 1080p is like 5gbps. No room for jitter at those speeds.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

whoops yeah i meant dp the whole time; i tried hdmi on a pc monitor and it was miserable

Jonny 290 posted:

My laser printer is on the same circuit as my 13.8v 50 amp linear power supply for my ham gear. If the power supply switch is on, the printer goes full pudding brain and prints about 3 lines of the first page of anything I send, and then just cycles the whole paper tray contents through it. Power supply off, prints perfectly.

My suspicion is that on startup, the laser printer and extremely large transformer in the ham power supply interact in a deleterious fashion, and it fritzes out its internal cpu or whatever.

tempest fujitsu

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

That would greatly concern me if I cared about the printer. Most likely the radio is f'n up the 60hz (50hz in pal territory) waveform from the power company,, and it's confusing a switching power supply in the printer. If the voltage gets low/high enough it's going to flip values in ram. .

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You can test this with a cheap plug in digital clock if you don't have a meter than can tell you. Most of them don't have a crystal and keep time off the oscillation of the power grid. The time will drift over the course of a day or two.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SYSV Fanfic posted:

That would greatly concern me if I cared about the printer. Most likely the radio is f'n up the 60hz (50hz in pal territory) waveform from the power company,, and it's confusing a switching power supply in the printer. If the voltage gets low/high enough it's going to flip values in ram. .

Yeah i am thinking about moving it to another circuit on the other branch. lasers have that big current spike on startup, and i think im getting a little bit of inductive kickback somehow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are you sure it's actually the laser that's drawing all the current and not, like, the fuser

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jonny's probably saying "lasers" as a shorthand for "laser printers, which include the fuser component" and not literally "lasers, like as found in 'laser printers', are high-current devices"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
correct

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

powercfg /lastwake blames my case's power button for half of my phantom wakeups which, hey hey, happen right after i get up

that must be some emp

yeah, I think that's what lead me to single out the mouse. for a bit I thought it was just that sensitive to me bumping the desk until I got a strong static shock when I brushed the edge

kicking it off by standing is next level though!

flakeloaf posted:

tempest fujitsu

:prepop:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jonny's probably saying "lasers" as a shorthand for "laser printers, which include the fuser component" and not literally "lasers, like as found in 'laser printers', are high-current devices"

well that's not as cool

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

crappy update: moving the cable and switching it to an outlet without a relay accomplished nothing, so it's time for this thing:

Jonny 290 posted:

some ferrite cores on the cable ends are often effective

apparently fit matters, so i'll stick a vernier on this cable and try to find something with a roughly-equivalent ID

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not really sure if theres a better place to post this, but does anyone know if its possible to display a 'RECAP' for an ad-hoc ansible command? eg:

localhost :
ok=18 changed=8 unreachable=0 failed=0
skipped=4 rescued=0 ignored=2

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

epilogue: 7mm ID ferrite rings are too small for a 7mm OD cable, and if you persist, the rings will break first

secretlabs responded to my email with a recommendation for humidfiers; i think we can assume they did not read it

e: they also recommended i put the chair in another room. this wouldn't make it less staticky, but it would prevent me from touching computer

:confuoot:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 22, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

while i can vouch for, uh, humidity, for my problems, i think 'sit away from your computer' is the best customer service reply i've seen in a while

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

epilogue: 7mm ID ferrite rings are too small for a 7mm OD cable, and if you persist, the rings will break first

secretlabs responded to my email with a recommendation for humidfiers; i think we can assume they did not read it

e: they also recommended i put the chair in another room. this wouldn't make it less staticky, but it would prevent me from touching computer

:confuoot:

humidity is an important part of electrostatic mitigation. esd sensitive work areas generally have minimum humidity requirements

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

oh absolutely, and the problem's definitely worse at 35% than it was at 70% (RH at 17-22C), but it was still there at 70 and, past that point, my area is less of a toybox and more of a terrarium

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

oh absolutely, and the problem's definitely worse at 35% than it was at 70% (RH at 17-22C), but it was still there at 70 and, past that point, my area is less of a toybox and more of a terrarium

make the best of it and put some tropical geckos in there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

wow, yeah, above 40 is the cut-off for my static issues. still happening at 70 is a lot

Jenny Agutter posted:

make the best of it and put some tropical geckos in there

:hmmyes:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
my landlady has hosed up our fiber internet and the best we can now get is basic adsl. she is suggesting getting a 4g/5g enabled router with unlimited data instead. how bad an idea is this?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

vodkat posted:

my landlady has hosed up our fiber internet and the best we can now get is basic adsl. she is suggesting getting a 4g/5g enabled router with unlimited data instead. how bad an idea is this?

Definitely not fiber speeds but a buddy of mine has t-mobile's Nokia made 5G wastebin looking thing and he consistently gets 20-50mbps symmetrical out in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how pray tell does a landlord "gently caress up" fiber internet

like it worked before and its broken now? and cannot be repaired?