Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

Very few people say that Marvel movies are any good. Such as...*checks notes*....The Oscars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

how many of those were won, how many were even nominated for best picture? and as someone else said I literally said they were ok to pretty good, literally only Thor 2 was universally panned

K8.0 posted:

God of War is probably a reasonable comparison to the MCU. The MCU is built on character interactions. The stories, the choices people make, none of that has to make any sense (Hello Homecoming car scene, arguably the dumbest movie scene of all time), it just needs to have moments of character interactions people find engaging, good looking people, and some action. God of War has always been similar. If not for the excellent presentation, the games would have flopped. Granted I haven't played the new one, but GoW gameplay has never been good. It's always been subpar gameplay carried by insane setpieces and hyper-violence.

yeah the old GoW games were Big Dumb Fun action, the new one is more prestige entertainment esque but is actually a fairly similar experience at heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The old God of War games are the kind of thing that a 13 year old would think is the dopest poo poo ever and a functional adult human would laugh at. The new one is The Last of Us but with good combat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Played some MH Rise: it still rules and seems like a great port

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ariong posted:

Goon vs. Fudd.

OH NO

new Star Citizen thread title

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

GOTY 2022 ELEX II has gone up for pre-order on Steam (on GOG too) with a 10% discount. Those of you looking forward to Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial II know who you are.

Also dropped a new trailer, which looks.... on-brand is the best way to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5ljRqQMaQ

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

GOTY 2022 ELEX II has gone up for pre-order on Steam (on GOG too) with a 10% discount. Those of you looking forward to Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial II know who you are.

Also dropped a new trailer, which looks.... on-brand is the best way to describe it.

hell yeah, i'm ready

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

They're still making reskins of Gothic 2 huh?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

Played some MH Rise: it still rules and seems like a great port

:same:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Why improve on perfect…..ly adequate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

SOMETHING'S not RIGHT... feel WEAK

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

modern rpgs wish they could be as cool as gothic 2

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

More modern RPGs should be reskins of Gothic 2. It'd elevate the genre immensely.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Gothic 2 could stand to be as good as Gothic 2

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only downside to Gothic 2 was that they couldn't/didn't bring back Vesemir to voice Diego.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 12, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rebel Blob posted:

Genuinely happy this is happening. Might push me to actually finish up Elex instead of being intimidated by it again

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rebel Blob posted:

Hell yes, give me Cybergothic 2.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Andrast posted:

modern rpgs wish they could be as cool as gothic 2

Gothic 2 really is one of all time great games, no question.

How is Elex 1, by the way? I played Risen and that was fun but didn't catch me enough to actually finish it.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Humble has a bundle with all the PC Building Simulator DLC, and I'm soliciting opinions on them. I have enjoyed the game somewhat in the past. Is the DLC worth anything? I think it's $15 for all of it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sinteres posted:

Edit: Also Black Panther was obviously highlighted for a while as the most important movie ever made despite being pretty mediocre.

The rest of the MCU is junk food, but I'll defend Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok to death because they injected (semi) radical politics into blockbuster films, which is a rarity regardless of universe/genre.

Like Thor Ragnarok is all about the horrors of colonialism, but most people miss it because big muscle men fighting.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

yegods posted:

Humble has a bundle with all the PC Building Simulator DLC, and I'm soliciting opinions on them. I have enjoyed the game somewhat in the past. Is the DLC worth anything? I think it's $15 for all of it.

No. The only gameplay DLC is the mildly entertaining Esports expansion which is $12.99 regular price. Everything else is workshop skins

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Hub Cat posted:

No. The only gameplay DLC is the mildly entertaining Esports expansion which is $12.99 regular price. Everything else is workshop skins

Thanks, I'll skip it then.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barry Convex posted:

interesting background, but if their goal is to compete with Game Pass, it seems pretty weird that they struck a deal with MS to have all Humble Games releases on Game Pass at launch

And Game Pass is fantastic for that. Like I enjoyed Into The Pit for a while, but outside of Game Pass it would have been a definite refund in 1 1/2 hours because the game is both very easy and so very repetitive. Like the first version of an early access game that would need a year of development for meaningful content and rebalancing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like we have hit the point we’re the people who whine about Marvel movies are much worse than the super fans.

Because they just can’t resist bringing it into everything

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Can someone link me to the 2021 GOTY thread? I am not sure why I'm struggling so much to find it scrolling through the topics/using Google.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tildes posted:

Can someone link me to the 2021 GOTY thread? I am not sure why I'm struggling so much to find it scrolling through the topics/using Google.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987583

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

warning if u havnt played rise and mass accept the free stuff itll give you a bunch of armor spheres and such

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't have much interest in monster hunter but im going to do the thing where you support vtubers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

warning if u havnt played rise and mass accept the free stuff itll give you a bunch of armor spheres and such

is that bad, that sounds good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its very boring i sold them all then bought 3500 barrel bombs and sold those too. not a cheater personally.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like we have hit the point we’re the people who whine about Marvel movies are much worse than the super fans.

Because they just can’t resist bringing it into everything
Nah. I get why people would get fed-up of the ubiquity of the MCU, especially when it's fans throw around absurd ideas like Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok being even remotely politically radical.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cowcaster posted:

is that bad, that sounds good

The other game had optional armor and weapons that you did not have to use but if you did want to you could. They were stronger than the normal stuff and got you ready to play the expansion quicker.

So of course gamers raged.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm familiar i just wanted to confirm that this was the same situation

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kazil posted:

The other game had optional armor and weapons that you did not have to use but if you did want to you could. They were stronger than the normal stuff and got you ready to play the expansion quicker.

wasnt what i was talking about however that is present, no idea why u would use it in a game with no expansion though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

kazil posted:

The difficulty curve in Monster Hunter World is really well designed, and the lethality of combat ramps up pretty slowly -- as the game goes on fights allow for less and less room for error, and by the time you hit Master rank you're basically able to survive one or two hits with a full health bar. The Guardian Armor or whatever it's called is SUPER tanky compared to any normal armor sets and if you're a first-time player it's going to come as a major shock when it gets outleveled and you're suddenly dying instantly instead of being able to soak up a relative ton of damage. Nothing against some OP DLC items but the MH:W armor is weird because it doesn't really have any skills on it that would help an experienced player progress faster, and for a new player it just acts as training wheels that teach the wrong lessons and get yanked off hard as soon as the game gets really difficult.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

i'm familiar i just wanted to confirm that this was the same situation

MH:Rise has a similar set of armor but it's much much less strong and really doesnt look appropriate after low rank. There are no weapon equivalents to the MH:W ones.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Gorn Myson posted:

Nah. I get why people would get fed-up of the ubiquity of the MCU, especially when it's fans throw around absurd ideas like Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok being even remotely politically radical.

It's good for a blockbuster. Point out a movie with a 100m+ budget that even nears either one.

Not a fan of the rest of the universe. But both movies hit pretty well with black and Indigenous activists and scholars and that's good enough for me over some (probably) yt poster.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 13, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

trashing the freebie ber rune i was gifted because i'm no cheater i want to grind for one for 10,000 hours like god intended

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gorn Myson posted:

This is more or less what I was talking about, absolutely insufferable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

goferchan posted:

The difficulty curve in Monster Hunter World is really well designed, and the lethality of combat ramps up pretty slowly -- as the game goes on fights allow for less and less room for error, and by the time you hit Master rank you're basically able to survive one or two hits with a full health bar. The Guardian Armor or whatever it's called is SUPER tanky compared to any normal armor sets and if you're a first-time player it's going to come as a major shock when it gets outleveled and you're suddenly dying instantly instead of being able to soak up a relative ton of damage. Nothing against some OP DLC items but the MH:W armor is weird because it doesn't really have any skills on it that would help an experienced player progress faster, and for a new player it just acts as training wheels that teach the wrong lessons and get yanked off hard as soon as the game gets really difficult.

☝️

Cowcaster posted:

trashing the freebie ber rune i was gifted because i'm no cheater i want to grind for one for 10,000 hours like god intended

simply mentionend it to warn anyone who wouldnt want it however you are fre e to continue to feel attacked by this for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is more or less what I was talking about, absolutely insufferable

Sorry mate. They're above average action comedies, watching them is not praxis. Its just a fun time.