Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm hoping the reason those go unmentioned is we're getting more than one new hero apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hi thread! A friend wants to start playing AoS and is thinking of buying into Skaven. I’d like to join her and was thinking of going with one of the following (based on how much I liked the models): Hedonites, Belakor and Friends, Gloomspite, or Lumineth Cow Guys.

I used to play a lot of WHFB and 40K, but I’ve never done anything with AoS and could use some guidance on picking a faction. Being competitive doesn’t matter nearly as much as picking something that’ll give us both a fun game, so a competitive tier list isn’t necessary. Rather I’d just like to know how those factions play, if any are so over-tuned that building a competition tier army is unavailable, and if any are likely to see major model refreshes soon (and would maybe invalidate purchases)

Thanks!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Skaven is one faction that hasn't seen a lot of new model support. They are likely due for attention, so they might not be the best to pick up right now.

The four other factions you mention are either new to AoS (Lumineth, a lot of, but not all of Gloomspite, the mortal side of Hedonites) or have been refreshed that your buying won't be at risk. However, the new Slaves to Darkness chaos warriors are monopose and you may have to fall back on the older kit to beef up your army.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fair warning: Gloomspite is the single worst faction in the entire game at present. It is overdue for a rules revamp to make it...not that.

e: Lumineth are doing pretty well, Legion of the First Prince...is pretty bad except in a single configuration that is actually doing quite well, and Hedonites are solidly average-leaning-to-slightly-below-average. Assuming you don't go for a tourney build for any of those and are just playing for fun you shouldn't overwhelm a Skaven force.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Gloomspite is the worst faction in the game? Please tell me more!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They're a horde army that has very, very few synergies between units, with a heavy reliance on their terrain piece, which is stuck deep in your own territory most of the time, and the Bad Moon rules are infamously irritating and confusing for limited benefit. Oh, and as of 3e, the Gobbapalooza isn't allowed to take artifacts or spells despite being your coolest set of heroes (who are also a unit). The lack of synergies between different subsets of Gloomspite, the fact that individual units tend to be very bad statwise (but usually cheap) and the fact that a lot of their stuff can be kinda random makes them very, very hard to win with in competitive settings, to a degree that even Beasts of Chaos aren't.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Asphyxious posted:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chosen-...1-127632-2357-0

If you only read one completely insane eBay listing today, please make it this one. Full fuckin manifesto in the item description.

this is like poetry

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gloomspite is really bad right now, but I think they could very easily be turned into an extremely solid, fun army that may not be winning tournaments but still gives you a chance of winning games. At the very least, seeing what GW just did to pull one of 40k's worst armies out of the dumpsters and give them a very cool, flavorful book is promising.

Also Gloomspite has some of the best models in the game imo - the Troggoths are probably my favorite kit in AoS and are a masterclass in giving you crazy different building options and sculpt variety out of a pretty small pool of bits, and the Mangler Squigs are probably the most dynamic sculpt GW has ever done. I've been slowly picking up pieces of a Gloomspite force here and there, and if they become remotely competitive they are without a doubt going to be my main army. For now I'm just having a blast painting them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah bad rules don’t matter too much as your army could always get buffed in the future.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The first thing our main local Gloomspite player did after the winter FAQ was to get Kragnos. He's quite excited about using him to deliver troggoths around the battlemap.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Talas posted:

The first thing our main local Gloomspite player did after the winter FAQ was to get Kragnos. He's quite excited about using him to deliver troggoths around the battlemap.

I expect it to get FAQ'd (or maybe it has already, haven't been keeping up with it) but the Marshcrawla Sloggoth is also really gross with Troggoths right now because of how the keywords are worded.

Kragnos looks like fun in a lot of lists now - I've already seen some Beastclaw Raider lists running him for even more ridiculous charges + mortal wound output and it looks pretty spicy. That's another army I've always wanted to try, but right now they have literally one unit worth taking and I hate boring spam lists.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Asphyxious posted:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chosen-...1-127632-2357-0

If you only read one completely insane eBay listing today, please make it this one. Full fuckin manifesto in the item description.

Every loving time I thought it was done, there was more.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

Hedonites, or Lumineth Cow Guys.

On this, I can have some pointers:
Hedonites are still a bit on a pricey side point wise, and they are a hero hammer army. You grab gluttos, you grab sigvald. lord of pain and maybe one of the twins (I forgot with one) and some myrmidesh painbringers. I mean since you are not worried about results you can also try other things and all the new models are great

On the cow side - I mean, you are playing slow durable elves so there is always a bonus for being a hipster. Imho what brings this down a bit outside of speed you have to protect your mages because without their herding your battle yaks will fall apart fast.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also Gloomspite has some of the best models in the game imo - the Troggoths are probably my favorite kit in AoS and are a masterclass in giving you crazy different building options and sculpt variety out of a pretty small pool of bits, and the Mangler Squigs are probably the most dynamic sculpt GW has ever done. I've been slowly picking up pieces of a Gloomspite force here and there, and if they become remotely competitive they are without a doubt going to be my main army. For now I'm just having a blast painting them.

Troggoths are the most fun-to-paint minis I’ve ever painted (second most would be Nurgle units and squigs). They’re just so characterful! I just wish they didn’t lose so bad on objective control.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Another unit of Liberators done. Nearing the end of my Stormcast painting round.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

abravemoose posted:

Another unit of Liberators done. Nearing the end of my Stormcast painting round.

Those are some crisp chonkers. What else do you have left

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Those are some crisp chonkers. What else do you have left

The easy-to-build Castigators, Ballista and Sequitors.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Two Maw-Krushas done - 6 pigs to finish, then I have an army ready to go.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Awesome looking models dude. Love the teeth and wing-tip-teeth-things. Is the base a sculpted plastic one or something? The detail looks really sharp, fair play if you've built them up with cork or something.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

These are gorgeous; do you have more pics of the army?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
All right so I guess I'm putting in an order for some Hedonites, but I have one tiny bit of hesitation left: the battleline units for this army are easily the most boring looking units in the line. The archers are my favorite, but I can't imagine wanting 30 of them, the Daemonettes are whatever (and don't seem very good?), and the Hellstriders are actively ugly (are these just much older models? They look like the bad kind of butt). It's a real shame there's no way to make the various Seeker units battleline since they're among my favorites!

Anyway, my solution to this is to just grab a bunch of the lance Seekers and use them as Hellstriders with Claw-spears; two units of those, and 1 of the archers should cover me all the way up to 2000 points. For leaders I'm going with what I like the look of and also seems like it might be at least semi-effective. The Contorted Epitome looks demented (in the good way), and it seems like it would pair well with the Godseekers where it'll generate depravity points for charging, lock units in combat (one of the artifacts), and then retreat + charge when my turn comes back around (one of the command traits). I'm also picking up Sigvald and a Keeper of Secrets, but I dunno if I'll be able to jam them both in a list (cool models though, drat). I'll round the whole thing out with Blissbard Seekers (great models with 4 wounds and the potential to generate mortals while running at breakneck speeds seems at least fine!) and the Painbringers (I just like how they look).

So does that seem like a decent mix of stuff to build up with?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The secret to never caring about Battleline is to play Path to Glory, which operates on a battlepack that doesn't require you to maintain Battleline limits unless you're playing someone who isn't also playing Path to Glory.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

The secret to never caring about Battleline is to play Path to Glory, which operates on a battlepack that doesn't require you to maintain Battleline limits unless you're playing someone who isn't also playing Path to Glory.

Oh I like these rules a lot, thanks! They remind me of some similar rules GW published in White Dwarf 20+ years ago for WHFB; they were a little underbaked, but the territory system was similar.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Awesome looking models dude. Love the teeth and wing-tip-teeth-things. Is the base a sculpted plastic one or something? The detail looks really sharp, fair play if you've built them up with cork or something.

Cheers! Basing is just corkboard I picked up the local hardware store, the right base also had sand added. Here's the whole basing scheme:

Spray the base Rhinox Hide, drybrush the edges Mechanicus Standard Grey then Administratum Grey.
Slap on some Agrellan Badland and Earth, wash Casandora Yellow, drybrush Tyrant Skull.
Throw on some skulls and a shitload of tufts, that's it :)

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

These are gorgeous; do you have more pics of the army?

Thank you - here's some more pics:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Thank you - here's some more pics:

how do you do your bases, friend

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Has anyone here got experience with making AoS work in Vassal or Roll20? I don’t want to use TTS any more for online play, and I wanna know how much work I have to do.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/12/float-like-flotsam-and-hit-like-a-tsunami-with-the-akhelian-thrallmaster/

Wish this stances affected shoting attacks because I doubt they will save standard thralls.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Exploding sixes is nice? And the wound debuff is actually pretty neat.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah, wound debuff is a very nice thing even if namarti will still likely die to a wayward fart. My big beef with thralls tho is 1 reach on 32mm base meaning half of them won't be fighting half the time

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

On the whole I like AOS more than 40k but the way 40k does reach is way better. So many units in AOS are automatically dumpstered by being melee units with 1" reach on any base size larger than 25mm. This just isn't a concern in 40k.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Idoneth are cool but I just cannot get excited for Namarti stuff at all. There's already a million flavors of elves in every fantasy setting and these ones are even more boring than usual, just give me more cool sea creatures.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Idoneth are cool but I just cannot get excited for Namarti stuff at all. There's already a million flavors of elves in every fantasy setting and these ones are even more boring than usual, just give me more cool sea creatures.

both factions in that box just need more critters but of course they got "just a dude" each. At least the Thrallmaster has an eel.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fyreslayers could really do with light cav beasts, yeah. I do appreciate getting a Namarti booster and Idoneth leader that doesn’t hate the Namarti, tho, I feel bad for those guys.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

Fyreslayers could really do with light cav beasts, yeah. I do appreciate getting a Namarti booster and Idoneth leader that doesn’t hate the Namarti, tho, I feel bad for those guys.

He would also make good Soulbound class by the fluff given in the article

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Has anyone here got experience with making AoS work in Vassal or Roll20? I don’t want to use TTS any more for online play, and I wanna know how much work I have to do.

Sadly I have not heard of anything like that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

All right so I guess I'm putting in an order for some Hedonites, but I have one tiny bit of hesitation left: the battleline units for this army are easily the most boring looking units in the line. The archers are my favorite, but I can't imagine wanting 30 of them, the Daemonettes are whatever (and don't seem very good?), and the Hellstriders are actively ugly (are these just much older models? They look like the bad kind of butt). It's a real shame there's no way to make the various Seeker units battleline since they're among my favorites!

Anyway, my solution to this is to just grab a bunch of the lance Seekers and use them as Hellstriders with Claw-spears; two units of those, and 1 of the archers should cover me all the way up to 2000 points. For leaders I'm going with what I like the look of and also seems like it might be at least semi-effective. The Contorted Epitome looks demented (in the good way), and it seems like it would pair well with the Godseekers where it'll generate depravity points for charging, lock units in combat (one of the artifacts), and then retreat + charge when my turn comes back around (one of the command traits). I'm also picking up Sigvald and a Keeper of Secrets, but I dunno if I'll be able to jam them both in a list (cool models though, drat). I'll round the whole thing out with Blissbard Seekers (great models with 4 wounds and the potential to generate mortals while running at breakneck speeds seems at least fine!) and the Painbringers (I just like how they look).

So does that seem like a decent mix of stuff to build up with?

I would personally avoid putting too many daemons (especially a keeper) in your starting line-up as they can easily be summoned later - definitely pick some up though, a Keeper and at least 10 Daemonettes (but preferably 30 for flexibility) are mandatory IMO

I would ditch the Hellstriders if you don't like them (no one really does, but they are technically our cheapest option). I would also double check that subbing Slickblades for them will really work for you, as they're quite a bit taller and come on bigger bases. Blissbarbs are great for mobility and parting out their shots to generate DP so definitely keep them. If I were you I'd slot in a Lord of Pain somewhere so you can run Painbringers and Twinsouls as battleline, who make a decent little bulwark for your squishy archers.

Also don't miss out on Sigvald - I'd recommend finding room for him somewhere as he's the best unit in the army and probably the only one in the book that feels worth his points.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

how do you do your bases, friend
Basecoat - Rhinox Hide
Basing - Mix of Agrellan Badland & Earth
Wash - Casandora Yellow
Drybrush - Tyrant Skull
Rim of base is Rhinox Hide
Apply skulls and tufts to suit - I used these tufts: https://www.gamersgrass.com/product/dry-steppe-set/

Dreamerdeceiver52 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 13, 2022

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/13/the-auric-flamemaster-makes-fyreslayer-funerals-sizzle-with-these-scorching-new-rules/

The new Fyreslayer hero seems interesting, but unless they get a chaff unit, it doesn't look that useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, they have Vulkites. Vulkites were already cheaper, more numerous and worse than the Auric Berserkers. Their job is now to die to make the Aurics stronger.