Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fidelitious posted:

Wait a second, no one snarks SC by saying it's an alpha. That's what the cultists say in defence when someone points out the complete lack of features, bugginess, and terrible performance.

Guys, I think Kraiklyn might be full of poo poo.

Well he leaves out the first part of the sentence, which is "after 10 loving years of development,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Wait a second, no one snarks SC by saying it's an alpha. That's what the cultists say in defence when someone points out the complete lack of features, bugginess, and terrible performance.

he's certainly making GBS threads up google results for The Culture character of the same name.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Development really started only when the Crobbler moved to the UK to work on SQ42

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

Enough with the Consider Phlebas spoilers.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

So its not going to make the 2014 release window?

e: the Gary Oldman thing was 6 years ago now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk
it was 2 years away in the trailer then too lol.

good grief, parpman needs a glass of water. he sounds like he's been up crying all night before the speech.

wait, that means :trustme: is a cinema genius. gonna stick a nickel up my butt because I played myself again, goonie cunitflas!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SQ42 is going to have motion capture from a decade ago jerry rigged on models that have changed like 3 times during the games production unless they already scrapped all of Gary's and Mark's sessions and just used facial animations or whatever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember how this is only supposed to be Squadron 42 Chapter 1 or whatever? Got 2 more to go after it!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember how this is only supposed to be Squadron 42 Chapter 1 or whatever? Got 2 more to go after it!

I did actually do that thing where you facepalm yourself and drag your hand down distorting your expression comically. That's right. They aren't even talking about the production window for the whole actual game. Squadron 42 PART ONE. A dozen years in dev, minimum

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cmdrk posted:

good grief, parpman needs a glass of water. he sounds like he's been up crying all night before the speech.

wait, that means :trustme: is a cinema genius. gonna stick a nickel up my butt because I played myself again, goonie cunitflas!

There was some speculation that someone gave Gary Oldman direction that admiral Bishop is very old (like 100+) but didn't tell him it's because people live a lot longer in the future due to advances in medical technology. So he played him as a very old, nearly dead man. And since it was Gary Oldman no one wanted to correct him.

I'm not 100% sure that's correct, since from the timeline on SC wikis, he'd be 65 at the time of the speech, but it's really funny so it's my headcanon now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Time for this again…

It won't be long now before it surpasses DNF (both development periods).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ahahaha i never listened to any of the writing before but this speech hinges on "victory" being their big motivational rallypoint. to win... we need victory and the one thing the vanduul taught us is that you can't win as good without victory so lets do it yall, victory!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Please don't remind the backers of the future excuse for why SC will still be an unstable buggy piece of poo poo if SQ42-ep1 ever comes out.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Time for this again…

i cant help but think that we are part of something big and beautiful.

like a giant turd in the shape of a dove.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i honestly thought something like DNF would never happen again when it was going on.

it makes me hopeful for the future. maybe there will be a bigger, dumber star citizen some day. todd howard will scam a bunch of nerds into making new-morrowind or something.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

Time for this again…

It is a DNF NFT MLM

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Today I managed to talk my brother into playing the game for the first time since 2017, this was a mistake posted:

I bought my brother a game package, he tried it once, hated it and never agreed to try it again any time I asked.

Recently with it being pretty stable for me I managed to talk him into playing it and he downloaded it last night. Today was my day off so we both hopped on.

Decided to head from hurston to Microtech to show him the planet, set expectations for low frames.

On the way there he dropped dead for no reason, so i waited with his body in my ship because he wanted to loot his stuff, explained how to come back to me in his Mustang and he did. Got stuck in the door for the MSR trying to get back in but survived, then spent about 10 mins trying to be able to loot himself.

Got to microtech, he was trying to adjust his webcam for FOIP cause it had stopped working and was really his favourite feature if I'm being honest and he leaned on backspace and died, going back to Hurston.

He decided at this stage to go for food.

So I made my way back to Hurston to meet up if he (it was 50/50) came back.

He did come back. We went and ran one bounty, it worked fine, can't complain. we split the money and I gave him 500k on top. We went to Arc Corp. Everything went fine but once we got to Area 18 NPCs were blocking all the doors, so we had to find a new server. Once he'd been able to do his shopping we decided a trade run might be a fun thing, so we headed to wala to do the short run of Alcohol back to Arc corp from shady glen farm, except it was too dark and I couldn't find it. So we found a new server in hopes it might be day time, it wasn't. So we abandoned that idea.

The breaking point came when trying to show him an FPS cave mission to clear out the NPCs, too dark on planet, ship got stuck without reason when landing and we couldn't find the cave, or get back into the ship.

Session over.

Moral of story: it's still too early to be excited to bring your friends in. Don't do it.

Some edits from the general conversations going on here:

I paid for the game for my brother so he lost nothing.

He loves sci-fi and I’d been pretty thorough explaining what the alpha is now before he tried it.

Although I have been playing since 2014 I in fact didnt know scanning highlighted terrain, no one told me haha.

We tried a cave clear hostile mission because there wasn’t a bunker mission available and he likes shooters and wanted to try the gun he bought out.

The only thing we had planned for the end was to go to prison so he could see that but once the ship got stuck in a tree and we were lost on Magda we just left.

Cheers for all the replies tbough and thanks to the majority for being really helpful as always.

quote:

Sounds like you were needing to convince your brother to try it in the first place; I'd say that's a lot like enjoying liver and trying to get a friend who's not enthusiastic about it to try it - similarly, unless it's absolutely perfect, it's likely not going to go over well.

In short, this story feels more like it's about your brother and his preferences/tolerances and less about the game. No harm or foul, not everyone is built for alpha gaming and that's OK.

With the break-neck community growth of this game, I think EVERYONE should be exposed to it. Some will love it and have a mindset / personality to deal with the bugs, and some, like your brother, won't.

But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These forums are littered with stories from new folks who are so inspired by their experience, they take time to post about it.

It would seem your experience, while understandable, is the outlier. There has never been a better time to try SC, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

I've only had one friend (out of 15 so far) that I've exposed the game to that didn't enjoy their time. Three of those friends are now concierge-level backers who play every single day, and several others log in every major patch for a week or two and enjoy the new content. None of them have quit, yet at least.

This is a big case of YMMV with much of the variables being not related to the game at all.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol at this poo poo

Is this the racist stereotype aliens that sniff each others balls when flying their spaceships? I can never remember

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Lol at this poo poo

Is this the racist stereotype aliens that sniff each others balls when flying their spaceships? I can never remember

No no.
Those are the “space Rome needs space barbarians as their space opponents” stereotype aliens that sniff each others balls when flying their spaceships.

Keep up with the lore, man!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it’d be cool if the gross aliens were the good guys and the human empire was just making poo poo up to manufacture consent for an invasion.

i wish more science fiction would make good guys that are gross looking.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

no harm or foul, as the saying goes

.random
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

ahahaha i never listened to any of the writing before but this speech hinges on "victory" being their big motivational rallypoint. to win... we need victory and the one thing the vanduul taught us is that you can't win as good without victory so lets do it yall, victory!

Same. I almost can’t believe how poorly it’s written. Though the goal of every great actor is to elevate the material no matter how bad it is :downswords:

That said, I honestly believe it would have had more emotional gravitas if they’d written “if the Vanduul have taught us anything, it’s that there is no victory… without VICTORY!

(Notice me, CIG-senpai!)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

smellmycheese posted:

Lol at this poo poo

How exactly are these aliens a threat to anyone, it sounds like most of them would off themselves before puberty, and the rest would probably die trying to stab a heavily-armed space marine. How did they even manage to develop space flight??

Edit: apparently they are "nomadic and expansionist". w h a t

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How did they even manage to develop space flight??

Its knife-based space flight.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Happy birthday son, here's a knife, now gently caress off

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How exactly are these aliens a threat to anyone, it sounds like most of them would off themselves before puberty, and the rest would probably die trying to stab a heavily-armed space marine. How did they even manage to develop space flight??

Edit: apparently they are "nomadic and expansionist". w h a t

it's supposed to sound majestic and make it seem like they have a deep sense of honor and whatever

send your youngest off into the wilderness and let them come back MEN!

etc

it's also incredibly lazy like the rest of their lore on the different races, it's either stereotypically racist or very very stupid

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIGs obsession with micro detailing their non-existent aliens is one of the funniest parts of Star Citizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Now you would think a game developer wouldn't have much fan fare over adding "laser trip mines" to their game but for CIG this is a huge accomplishment that has been on the roadmap for awhile and they want everyone to know it's coming.

There's just one caveat.

Non-deployable trip mines

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

CIGs obsession with micro detailing their non-existent aliens is one of the funniest parts of Star Citizen.

Yeah I was going to say, this race isn't even in the game and there has been zero details on them at all, even what they look like.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Blue On Blue posted:

it's also incredibly lazy like the rest of their lore on the different races, it's either stereotypically racist or very very stupid

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah it's for sure both. That description they gave is a classic noble savage trope and is super racist.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
something as simple as an explosion, an entity walking through the X axis, and an art asset is too tough for a half a billion earned company with 700 employees

let that one marinate a bit

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Vanduul are basically just the Skaarj from Unreal, aren't they?

Amusingly, I decided to look up a wiki entry on the Skaarj, and they apparently want to conquer the universe because they see themselves as the superior race... And they managed to conquer precisely one planet with a primitive, pacifist population, then got creamed when they tried to conquer Earth. I mean that's what's going to happen when you try to conquer the universe and your biggest tactical advantage are loving wolverine claws!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it's for sure both. That description they gave is a classic noble savage trope and is super racist.

Yup, and the reason it isn't funny even though it should be is that it feeds and attracts a certain kind of backer, that CI¬G can't see this is insane to me.

:trustme: OK, so the good guys are the the humans who admire the roman empire, the bad guys are all and any other race, we good?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even if it wasn't racist it'd still be so boring. These kinds of aliens have been done a thousand times before in basically every single piece of sci-fi from Star Trek on

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there's literally so little happening with star citizen that the star citizen leaks discord gave up and rebranded
lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If there is one thing this wacky poo poo game has taught me it's that chris has absolutely zero imagination

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I was going to say, this race isn't even in the game and there has been zero details on them at all, even what they look like.

CIG already showed off some Vanduul animations fudster 💅

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jo9k26/began_the_vanduul_war_has/

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Sounds like a straight ripoff from 300

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Vanduul are basically just the Skaarj from Unreal, aren't they?

Amusingly, I decided to look up a wiki entry on the Skaarj, and they apparently want to conquer the universe because they see themselves as the superior race... And they managed to conquer precisely one planet with a primitive, pacifist population, then got creamed when they tried to conquer Earth. I mean that's what's going to happen when you try to conquer the universe and your biggest tactical advantage are loving wolverine claws!

That's hugely unfair to the Skaarj. They had the biggest tactical advantage you had ever seen in a game: they would dodge-roll away from any non-hitscan bullets you fired at them. That was huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
And also implies that ALL children follow the same warrior path.

Who reads books to actually maintain their spaceships?