Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some of the funniest most iconic golden age Simpsons episodes were written by a deeply conservative libertarian crackpot. One of the reasons The Simpsons was so popular was because outside of a small handful of episodes it functioned almost apolitically, and wasn’t at all afraid to go after either side if the joke was funny enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s not a nice thing to say about Conan.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Another good angle to look at is the extended cast. I think Duffman or possibly Manjula was the last major cast addition for like fifteen seasons, after which they gave Comic Book Guy a girlfriend and replaced Mrs Krabappel after her voice actress died, and that's pretty much it. They almost completely stopped having random scene filler characters and populated every scene with regulars instead, so the town starts feeling weirdly insular and creepy. And now any side characters they create feel like regular people rather than the cartoons caricatures of earlier seasons. Not one of them could you imagine screaming that the PTA has disbanded, or that this enormous woman will devour us all, or that they need to dig up, stupid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bust Rodd posted:

Some of the funniest most iconic golden age Simpsons episodes were written by a deeply conservative libertarian crackpot. One of the reasons The Simpsons was so popular was because outside of a small handful of episodes it functioned almost apolitically, and wasn’t at all afraid to go after either side if the joke was funny enough.

ill be the rear end in a top hat and say i kinda miss that. like in that sense not in the lovely south park sense. just clever and weird but kinda hosed up humor in general.

Happy Landfill posted:

Would this be the thread to talk about Helluva Boss? :shobon:

yeah, i like that show alot. was gonna bring it up at some point but wasnt sure if i should because i know it has a mixed reseption at times. i am hoping Hazbin is good. i found the pilot a little rough but then again i was super mixed on helluva boss until episode 2.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 12, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The last I heard about Hazbin, near enough the entire voice cast had been replaced, so it sounds like it's getting heavily reworked. The pilot wasn't completely terrible, but it was crying out for an editor to help guide it, like cutting out half of the incredibly forced expletives so it sounds natural instead of a bunch of teenagers getting carte blanche to swear for the first time. Or making sure that the central premise seems viable instead of constantly being mocked for thirty minutes straight, having the main character in a near constant breakdown and literally ending with someone keeping the hotel open so everyone can get more laughs out of it failing at her expense. Or having consistency in the character designs (like Helluva Boss manages) instead of obviously putting their friends' OCs in the background. Or not naming a character loving Vaggie.

I expect the finished series to be somewhat different, and honestly that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought Hazbin Hotel was like a meta-pilot and that idea became Helluva Boss, is that not the case? I VASTLY preferred the tone of that to Helluva Boss, and would have way rather spent more time with menacing techno glitch demons. Boss is fine, but Hazbin Hotel had me mesmerized.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The last I heard about Hazbin, near enough the entire voice cast had been replaced, so it sounds like it's getting heavily reworked. The pilot wasn't completely terrible, but it was crying out for an editor to help guide it, like cutting out half of the incredibly forced expletives so it sounds natural instead of a bunch of teenagers getting carte blanche to swear for the first time. Or making sure that the central premise seems viable instead of constantly being mocked for thirty minutes straight, having the main character in a near constant breakdown and literally ending with someone keeping the hotel open so everyone can get more laughs out of it failing at her expense. Or having consistency in the character designs (like Helluva Boss manages) instead of obviously putting their friends' OCs in the background. Or not naming a character loving Vaggie.

I expect the finished series to be somewhat different, and honestly that wouldn't be a bad thing.

yeah i prefer helluva boss simply because i like the character designs. the imps have a semi "uniform" design as do owl people and etc. hazbin has cool potential but i am not shocked that everyone but charlie and alastor and husk are getting replaced. but i very much agree that hazbins characters designs are way too messy. like some look great but jesus.

also while i agree with you, i think alot of those issues can be summed up with it being a pilot. helluva boss pilot is loving awful to a degree especially compared to the rest of the show.

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought Hazbin Hotel was like a meta-pilot and that idea became Helluva Boss, is that not the case? I VASTLY preferred the tone of that to Helluva Boss, and would have way rather spent more time with menacing techno glitch demons. Boss is fine, but Hazbin Hotel had me mesmerized.

no. its a spin off series. same universe and poo poo. blitzo and moxxie were supposed to be side characters as were stolas but the show was too bloated and she liked the characters so she made it a side show.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also while i agree with you, i think alot of those issues can be summed up with it being a pilot. helluva boss pilot is loving awful to a degree especially compared to the rest of the show.

Yeah, I remember the HB pilot having its issues, but I haven't watched it since it first came out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, I remember the HB pilot having its issues, but I haven't watched it since it first came out.

i think the issues are it mostly sufferes from the problems of Hazbins pilot and is mostly the characters bitching at each other. its an ok set up though.
the rest of the show is pretty solid/good in my opinion, though it gets better episode 2 onward.

Anyway Smiling friends is the funniest poo poo i have seen in a long time.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 12, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

It's clearly got a budget behind it but somehow it still looks like complete rear end.

I think that's exactly it. It has money behind it but that contrasts with the relative simplicity of the designs and earlier seasons. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel... I guess a better, if a little stretched, version of the metaphor is that they're spending so much effort trying to improve the wheel trying by making it pretty they don't realize that ultimately it's just distracting.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This wheel drives smoother but it keeps reflecting light and blinding other drivers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Anyway Smiling friends is the funniest poo poo i have seen in a long time.

motherfucking THIS

seriously if you're not watching Smiling Friends then that is not okay and you need to fix it right now

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, I feel like in HB they could sometimes cut out half the expletives and it wouldn't really lose anything. Like it could tweak its focus on being a little more clever rather than crude. I also felt the same way about Harley Quinn but I think by episode 3 it largely course corrected.

Hazbin was ok? I watched that one after finishing Helluva Boss so that might color my perception of it a bit. But I agree with the above, any issues I had probably came from the fact that it was very much a pilot and the writing had not hit its stride yet so I'm hoping to like it as much as I like HB. Hope they bring in just as much Broadway talent

Admittedly this bit got a laugh out of me

"And what can you do?"
"I can suck your dick"

And yeah, Vaggie was an...interesting choice of a name. I don't know, Hazbin didn't quite grab me the way HB did, but by the time I watched HB it already had 7 episodes and Hazbin still only has its pilot so I'm willing to give it more of a chance. It's cool to see that they got picked up by a legit studio :) The whole team seems real passionate about these projects and it really shows

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I. M. Gei posted:

motherfucking THIS

seriously if you're not watching Smiling Friends then that is not okay and you need to fix it right now

It's not on HBO Max yet, I'm sure the on the 9th a bunch of people will post reminding everyone waiting. It's close enough it's not worth seeking out other ways to watch it. Might as well give them the view count.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

pixaal posted:

It's not on HBO Max yet, I'm sure the on the 9th a bunch of people will post reminding everyone waiting. It's close enough it's not worth seeking out other ways to watch it. Might as well give them the view count.

Speaking of view count, last Sunday Adult Swim accidentally(?) ran like 7 or 8 episodes instead of just the first two, which worries me a bit. Hopefully those other eps will still get views when they air "for real" later on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, I feel like in HB they could sometimes cut out half the expletives and it wouldn't really lose anything. Like it could tweak its focus on being a little more clever rather than crude. I also felt the same way about Harley Quinn but I think by episode 3 it largely course corrected.

Hazbin was ok? I watched that one after finishing Helluva Boss so that might color my perception of it a bit. But I agree with the above, any issues I had probably came from the fact that it was very much a pilot and the writing had not hit its stride yet so I'm hoping to like it as much as I like HB. Hope they bring in just as much Broadway talent

Admittedly this bit got a laugh out of me

"And what can you do?"
"I can suck your dick"

And yeah, Vaggie was an...interesting choice of a name. I don't know, Hazbin didn't quite grab me the way HB did, but by the time I watched HB it already had 7 episodes and Hazbin still only has its pilot so I'm willing to give it more of a chance. It's cool to see that they got picked up by a legit studio :) The whole team seems real passionate about these projects and it really shows

yeah HB being genuinly very solid to very good gives me some hope for hazbin. its clear they know how to writer funny and hosed up but also like actual chracters and relationships and poo poo. so i think they will probably tone down a bunch of poo poo for final stuff. HQ is also a very good show that smartly course corrected.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess what I was getting at was that the newer writers don't really remember what the Simpsons was subverting so they don't know the show was trying to be subversive with their references, so they end up just uncritically making references to be like the show they remembered when growing up and had no idea of what archaic things it was making fun of.

Although I guess the nadir of the Simpsons to me was when they were trying to make fun of college SJWs, making a bunch of obscure references that only the writers themselves would get because they all went to Ivy League colleges, somehow made Mr. Burns the one sane man of a scene, and also didn't really get how The Simpsons has had an influence on the pop culture view of nuclear power. It was very weird and very bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1s3C__3YIA

I think the thing that people forget about the Simpsons is that it wasn't good because it was subversive or anything like that - it was that the show had characters. No matter how far you stretched the show, as long as you stayed true to the characters, you could do it.

Homer works for a Bond villain? Sounds absurd, but it works because the episode never sacrifices characters for a joke. Homer is a guy who does want to be a good father and husband, he's just a little lost at times. So when his family is unhappy, he gives up his dream job.

But over time, they've lost the stories and the characters. So now when the show tries to go outside the boundaries, you don't have anything to keep the show grounded in some reality.

Sam Simon did a lot to make the Simpsons what it was. If you look at his career, you can see the seeds of the Simpsons being planted in shows like Taxi and Cheers - shows that aren't just about people who are ultimately well off who find things working out for them in the end.

He really helped develop the characters and to keep the writers on point. And the longer he has been gone from the show, the worse it has gotten.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I. M. Gei posted:

motherfucking THIS

My roommate and I caught the first episode. It got a couple chuckles out of us, but nothing like Bushworld Adventures.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think the thing that people forget about the Simpsons is that it wasn't good because it was subversive or anything like that - it was that the show had characters. No matter how far you stretched the show, as long as you stayed true to the characters, you could do it.

Homer works for a Bond villain? Sounds absurd, but it works because the episode never sacrifices characters for a joke. Homer is a guy who does want to be a good father and husband, he's just a little lost at times. So when his family is unhappy, he gives up his dream job.

But over time, they've lost the stories and the characters. So now when the show tries to go outside the boundaries, you don't have anything to keep the show grounded in some reality.

Sam Simon did a lot to make the Simpsons what it was. If you look at his career, you can see the seeds of the Simpsons being planted in shows like Taxi and Cheers - shows that aren't just about people who are ultimately well off who find things working out for them in the end.

He really helped develop the characters and to keep the writers on point. And the longer he has been gone from the show, the worse it has gotten.
There are some legit feel-good tearjerker episodes in the "good" seasons of The Simpsons. Anything where they show that the family members actually love each other is really meaningful instead of being played for a quick gag.
It just makes me more angry when I see any of the modern stuff. It's like seeing the corpse of a loved one dressed up and made to dance on strings.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

There are some legit feel-good tearjerker episodes in the "good" seasons of The Simpsons. Anything where they show that the family members actually love each other is really meaningful instead of being played for a quick gag.
It just makes me more angry when I see any of the modern stuff. It's like seeing the corpse of a loved one dressed up and made to dance on strings.

absolutly this. its what works with good adult animation, hell any good peice of media. its why i like HB, its funny alot of the time and i like the art but you actually give a gently caress about the characters and feel for them. i didnt think i would feel bad for a weird owl daemon in a broken marriage who's original trait/joke was talking dirty, but here we are.

anyway. its why golden age Simpsons works so well. new Simpsons is just toned down family guy, but at least as lovely as family guy is, its made me laugh once or twice.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 12, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are fully grown adult humans who have been watching the Simpsons their entire lives and have never watched any of the good episodes. Sometimes I wake up at 3 AM in sleep paralysis and this is what I think about

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

There are fully grown adult humans who have been watching the Simpsons their entire lives and have never watched any of the good episodes. Sometimes I wake up at 3 AM in sleep paralysis and this is what I think about

yeah. to be fair. i view ok as up to like season 11 but thats about it. i grew up with it as a kid. my parents wouldnt let me watch it but then they gave up because i was in the hospital so much. first episodes i saw were the ones with nelson and lisa and then the one with itchy and scratchy robots.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AlternateNu posted:

My roommate and I caught the first episode. It got a couple chuckles out of us, but nothing like Bushworld Adventures.

It's not the sort of humor that's for everyone; if you're the kind of person that hates "lol random"-type humor then it's understandable that you may not like it.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend giving the other episodes a chance. They all have their own little moments and details in them that are brilliant in different ways (for example there's a side character in one episode that is pretty much literally The Hobbit — and I mean the ORIGINAL loving Rankin/Bass Hobbit, literally Bilbo Motherfucking Baggins himself, looking like he walked straight outta the 1977 animated film rotoscoped head-to-toe every second he's on screen) and an almost-perfect balance of fast-paced gags and great conversational humor mixed with occasional glimpses into true existential madness and moments where it feels like the writers are trying to share with you some truth they know about the world but the full meaning of which goes over your head at first even though something inside your brain just kinda tells you that there's really more to it than that, but it's still funny on it's own so you laugh and let it go for now.

Just a really special kind of show that doesn't come around very often and I really hope Adult Swim keeps it around for more seasons.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 13, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

It's not the sort of humor that's for everyone; if you're the kind of person that hates "lol random"-type humor then it's understandable that you may not like it.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend giving the other episodes a chance. They all have their own little moments and details in them that are brilliant in different ways (for example there's a side character in one episode that is pretty much literally The Hobbit — and I mean the ORIGINAL loving Rankin/Bass Hobbit, literally Bilbo Motherfucking Baggins himself, looking like he walked straight outta the 1977 animated film rotoscoped head-to-toe every second he's on screen) and an almost-perfect balance of fast-paced gags and great conversational humor mixed with occasional glimpses into true existential madness and moments where it feels like the writers are trying to share with you some truth they know about the world but the full meaning of which goes over your head at first even though something inside your brain just kinda tells you that there's really more to it than that, but it's still funny on it's own so you laugh and let it go for now.

Just a really special kind of show that doesn't come around very often and I really hope Adult Swim keeps it around for more seasons.

i think they will. most of the stuff i have heard about it is overwellmingly positive. it also mostly skips sex and drug jokes for the most part and the reference humor it does do is weird poo poo only weird sad 30 somethings who spend way way to much time online would get. really loving dark bjork stalker joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T95sS0omM&t

also zach and mike seem like nice dudes. this dude tries to show off his cartoon to them while they are on a stream and it looks like utter generic poo poo that would be poo poo out in 2004 and everyone clearly thinks it sucks but they give actual good criticism about it and explain why the jokes are poo poo nicely.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 13, 2022

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

I've seen the first 6 Smiling Friends episodes and while I'm still liking the series more than most stuff available on TV right now, I feel like its humor falls flat in some respects. A lot of the comedy seems pulled straight from the internet (reddit, 4chan) with not much added to it. The show does have some good little moments, a quick scream or a funny looking face, but I'm feeling like people are over-hyping it. I think Zach's humor works amazing in a live setting like a podcast or a let's play, but when it's scripted, it's a little more hit or miss, to me that is. I still enjoy the show, but it's sad that no episode has been as good as the pilot, which I thought was pretty good but even that didn't blow my dick off or anything. Again maybe it's just me but some of the jokes just feel lazy, "MY CHEEEESE" and whatnot...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

I've seen the first 6 Smiling Friends episodes and while I'm still liking the series more than most stuff available on TV right now, I feel like its humor falls flat in some respects. A lot of the comedy seems pulled straight from the internet (reddit, 4chan) with not much added to it. The show does have some good little moments, a quick scream or a funny looking face, but I'm feeling like people are over-hyping it. I think Zach's humor works amazing in a live setting like a podcast or a let's play, but when it's scripted, it's a little more hit or miss, to me that is. I still enjoy the show, but it's sad that no episode has been as good as the pilot, which I thought was pretty good but even that didn't blow my dick off or anything. Again maybe it's just me but some of the jokes just feel lazy, "MY CHEEEESE" and whatnot...

i can understand that. i do think part of the reason i like it is because of my humor is hosed up because i spent way way to much time of my teenage years on loving ED and other bad places but there is enough clever writing that i like it for that too. like they at least know how to set up a joke and pay it off.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The big miss in Smiling Friends is we barely got any Alan. Wish he had his own episode.

Looking back, this also makes me realize that Smiling Friends has some character similarities with Regular Show, including the bulbous-headed boss (well, Pops on RS was the owner, close enough).

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 13, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

with smiling friends They've said that for them, the comedy is derived from the fact that although they're funny looking, they act like real living beings... just living. I think the quote is something along the lines of "if you hit one of them with a hammer, they're like going to have a loving seizure" like the punch scene.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hmm that DOES sound like Regular Show

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmm that DOES sound like Regular Show

true.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh Oh! Thought about Regular Show for the first time in years and just discovered this music video which I didn’t know existed! This song loving rips!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk1cNT3UBmE

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Smiling Friends is great, but I really wish Zach wouldn't associate himself with Oney, since Oney seems like an rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/gamertakes/status/990408604971945984

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oney sent his followers after a trans woman who critiqued newgrounds and has tweeted "pronouns in bio" at people who critique him, he's a shithead edgelord

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The 7th Guest posted:

oney sent his followers after a trans woman who critiqued newgrounds and has tweeted "pronouns in bio" at people who critique him, he's a shithead edgelord

Yeah, I don't wanna support Smiling Friends as long as they associate with Oney. He's a loving piece of poo poo child who never grew up, with transphobic poo poo like this.

https://twitter.com/OneyNG/status/1428956227711619072

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 13, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is he involved with the show at all? I was gonna give it a shot but if that’s one of the writers or something then lol ok I will pass

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Is he involved with the show at all? I was gonna give it a shot but if that’s one of the writers or something then lol ok I will pass

He voices Mr. Frog in episode 2. Zach is also a semi-frequent guest on OneyPlays

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really wish people would show this same kind of outrage toward the Simpsons for associating with scientologist Nancy Cartwright.

I am so sick and tired of antipsych shitheads in entertainment always getting a free pass to be lovely and give money to lovely causes that do actual harm to people with mental and developmental health issues.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 13, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

I really wish people would show this same kind of outrage toward the Simpsons for associating with scientologist Nancy Cartwright.

Are you seriously going to equate Cartwright with the homophobic/transphobic piece of poo poo known as Oney because she's a scientologist?

She seems like a good person as far as I've heard

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Willo567 posted:

He voices Mr. Frog in episode 2. Zach is also a semi-frequent guest on OneyPlays

Michael Cusack voices Mr. Frog (so says Wikipedia). Oney does some other minor voices and some of the music, like the theme song.

IMO, I wouldn't say Oney is transphobic or homophbic, though I've never met him. He just seems to have an edgy/irreverent sense of humor. I can understand people not liking that type of humor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So Oney and Harry Partridge are the two then that are associated with the show and are creeps? I mean, at least they aren’t the main showrunners, but echhh.