Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wombot posted:

Besides, if you're on an airplane, and you hear a noise coming from the cargo hold, what's more plausible: That there's a dog down there who's barking (it's fairly well known that animals travel in planes, in the cargo area), or that Tim the loving Tool Man Taylor started sawing some wood?

Buddy, in 2022, Tim wouldn't be sawing wood. He's be sawing the plane in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't know how anyone who has ever heard a hydraulic pump of any kind could mistake that sound for anything else.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Basticle posted:

Didn't Massachusetts do the guard bus driver thing months ago already

Boston's got a, uh, history with busing

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/dougjballoon/status/1481269598049742851?s=21

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's amazing people get paid to just post stupid poo poo on the internet and here we are doing it for free. Someone should tell the papers they could just pay the ten bux and steal posts from CSpam.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Draft Dick-boy and have an all-Cheney ticket.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oh man I haven’t read a good Friedeman take like this in months.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

This is an utterly bizarre claim. The water "consumed" by these data centers is flushed through climate control systems and generally returned to the municipal systems it originates from, not destroyed or sent elsewhere. The water impact of these things is less than your average suburban housing development in terms of pound for pound.

If you wanna see some real bullshit, check out Nebraska telling Colorado they're stealing water from the Platte despite being being above one of the biggest aquifers in the continent.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Immanentized posted:

This is an utterly bizarre claim. The water "consumed" by these data centers is flushed through climate control systems and generally returned to the municipal systems it originates from, not destroyed or sent elsewhere. The water impact of these things is less than your average suburban housing development in terms of pound for pound.

If you wanna see some real bullshit, check out Nebraska telling Colorado they're stealing water from the Platte despite being being above one of the biggest aquifers in the continent.

This has me so fired up, and I'm glad someone else read that poo poo too. Its even more frustrating when you see how the current water supply is mismanaged, like last year all the irrigation canals we're running high because water was still being diverted to farms, but they didn't need to use it until middle of summer because of all the rain that came on the early part of the planting season.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Water wars gonna be lit

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Immanentized posted:

Did you watch it at all, because they go into that.

These are usually evaporative systems which mean they just run water and let it dry out over fins. A LOT is lost.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Did you watch it at all, because they go into that.

These are usually evaporative systems which mean they just run water and let it dry out over fins. A LOT is lost.
:hmmyes:

Also if you know someplace that's pumping their cooling loop back into the municipal water system (:wtc:) let me know because they're going to turbojail

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 12, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

....but it doesn't "consume" the water, the water just evaporates.....That's like saying the water cycle is one way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072204478/donald-trump-npr-interview-presidential-election-lies-vaccines

Our favorite good (great) President only did about half the scheduled interview with NPR

I turned the radio off this morning on the way to work because of this. I don't need to hear this senile fascist lie about whatever they ask and NPR doesn't need to be giving him a platform.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nice, Polite Republicans.

Even I am beginning to hate NPR.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Uhh snow / ice apocalypse is coming again?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/weather/snow-storm-forecast-ice-weekend/index.html

A winter storm will swing through the East. Does Atlanta get snow? Nashville? Washington? It's still up in the air

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 12, 2022

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

....but it doesn't "consume" the water, the water just evaporates.....That's like saying the water cycle is one way.

there is an energy cost associated with that potable water get turned into clouds, but its a drop in the bucket of our energy and resource waste problems, so lol at the handwringing over it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The South is gonna get more snow this year than my rear end up at 7500ft in Colorado.

But at least the valley isn't coming up off its' water. The SLV has been giving the middle finger to the front range for years, totally understand why too, since it's been over a decade since the last year of "normal" precipitation. Lot of deep water here though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1481409885120217091?s=20

It would appear that the decedent hosed around and found out, as the kids say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ronnie Spector died today after a brief cancer struggle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Huh. It would appear that indeed, the only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.
I'll be damned.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao that article says he pled no contest to drawing a gun on someone in a "road rage incident" at the same intersection in 2014.

Edit: the dead maga was the one from 2014, not the Prius driver.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Immanentized posted:

Are you referring to the Ogallala aquifer? Lol

edit: it doesn't recharge and it is being sucked dry

edit 2: while this near surface strata of sediement is unconfined and thus subject to recharge by streambed diffusion and precipitation, the timescale to build the kind of widespread interstitial saturation that produces the pumpable groundwater we observe today isn't exactly useful in human lifespans. Water was going into that sand for thousands and thousands of years before people came along with center-pivot irrigation rigs and agri-industrial pumps and so on. We're gonna drink that milkshake right on up for feedlot beef and ethanol and never get it back.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 13, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

To someone who lives in the middle of the big red splotch they're talking about in the opening seconds, it basically is.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MAGA dude isn't getting into Valhalla getting killed by a Prius owner

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Also if you know someplace that's pumping their cooling loop back into the municipal water system (:wtc:) let me know because they're going to turbojail

I meant that the evaporative cooling stuff keeps it in the local area, not back into the water supply. I was going for more of a - it's not destroyed, retained out of the water loop or shipped elsewhere, ergo it's still relatively accessible

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/HaverOfOpinions/status/1481414786181066752

:lol:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

savage

It's like the reverse of the ad that harpy Marjorie Taylor Greene ran where she shoots a Prius and it blows up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

Lmao that article says he pled no contest to drawing a gun on someone in a "road rage incident" at the same intersection in 2014.

Edit: the dead maga was the one from 2014, not the Prius driver.

Oh you need to pull more from the article:

quote:

He was a quiet fellow,” MacKee said. “Everything in his world was about his family.”

Previously, Kuczwanski pleaded no contest to assault and disorderly conduct charges in 2014 related to a separate road rage incident at the same intersection, as first reported by Tallahassee Reports.

Just a quiet, law abiding citizen who definitely should have been able to buy a...

wait

https://twitter.com/jkuczwanski/status/1469039696730890249

win a gun in a raffle. Definitely a sane loving country we have here.

e: RIP in Piss chud

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
one of the few times the "played stupid games, won stupid prizes" phrase is actually quite apt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

They're good for sneaking up on motherfuckas

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Laugo Alien is everywhere now.

It’s the Baader–Meinhoff Phenomenon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

win a gun in a raffle. Definitely a sane loving country we have here.

Classic Firearms (the shop holding the raffle(s)), got into trouble a while back for stealing people's CC info so my guess is the raffles are to build up good publicity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Stealing their concealed carry info? What?”

“Oh. Credit card.”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

To someone who lives in the middle of the big red splotch they're talking about in the opening seconds, it basically is.

Yeah part of the water cycle is that it cools down enough for rain to come down. Evaporative cooling is sacrificing our drinking water on a design that should be outlawed in the face of literal climate change.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Immanentized posted:

I meant that the evaporative cooling stuff keeps it in the local area, not back into the water supply. I was going for more of a - it's not destroyed, retained out of the water loop or shipped elsewhere, ergo it's still relatively accessible

I'm totally confused cause thats not how the water supply works. Are you saying water in the atmosphere counts as part of our water supply and is readily accessible?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

Or they're getting a raise for being efficient, this being america

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

lightpole posted:

I'm totally confused cause thats not how the water supply works. Are you saying water in the atmosphere counts as part of our water supply and is readily accessible?

Yeah my bad, I'm high and tired as hell from work, my own logic didn't track.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

Or they're getting a raise for being efficient, this being america

Thats pretty strictly regulated, its going to the treatment plant and people start to move pretty quick when that shuts down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They should use saltwater to cool servers and then take the steam from that process to make freshwater. I'm smart.