Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

fenix down posted:

If any of you guys need/want to run dungeons I've got a lvl 130 minstrel and am typically on every day. (Fitzgig on Landroval)

Would you be willing to drop down to Sarnur sometime and help me finish the quests I can't solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Would you be willing to drop down to Sarnur sometime and help me finish the quests I can't solo?
Yep, as long as our schedules line up. My game time is usually between 8-11 EST.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How is the Brawler class? Never played this before, but honestly a punchy class that's NOT an Eastern monk in an mmo seems pretty cool tbh

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I played this game a couple days ago for the first time and already like it way better than FFXIV because I’m a broke-brained contrarian. That and they totally ruined Summoner. I missed the free quest pack and cheap expansions so gently caress me I guess.

I’m playing a Loremaster on Treebeard because the class looked DoT-oriented and needlessly difficult and I can set the landscape difficulty so it’s less completely trivial. However, now I’m seeing that Runekeeper is way more DoT-oriented and also considered absolutely loving awful, which is sorta my MO (I raided on a Necromancer for 18 EQ expansions despite my guild really not being pleased with my class choice for someone who showed up 95% of the time).

So anyway exactly how putrid is Runekeeper? Literally unplayable? Slated for buffs? Bad enough to be denied a DPS spot in a raid?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

How is the Brawler class? Never played this before, but honestly a punchy class that's NOT an Eastern monk in an mmo seems pretty cool tbh
From what i can tell people are enjoying it through the midgame, but I'm not sure if it's found a specific home as tank or DPS at the endgame.

boho posted:

I played this game a couple days ago for the first time and already like it way better than FFXIV because I’m a broke-brained contrarian. That and they totally ruined Summoner. I missed the free quest pack and cheap expansions so gently caress me I guess.

So anyway exactly how putrid is Runekeeper? Literally unplayable? Slated for buffs? Bad enough to be denied a DPS spot in a raid?
RK is fine. They aren't the best at DPS or healing, but can hold their own just fine on either front for most (if not all) content. Treebeard is pretty low pop so if people are planning raids then they probably won't have the luxury of being picky.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

fenix down posted:

RK is fine. They aren't the best at DPS or healing, but can hold their own just fine on either front for most (if not all) content. Treebeard is pretty low pop so if people are planning raids then they probably won't have the luxury of being picky.

Right now it’s at about ~200 average across the day, give or take. I’m interested in seeing how it does after Moria launches since the last week of an expansion was always the deadest period of time on the EQ TLP servers.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The lag is bad and makes me sad. The connection status shows my ping as 35ms so it's not me. The server just can't keep up. I wonder what's happened to make it get this much worse.

It's usually fine, but then it'll be really bad for like a minute or two. And war horses are even worse - I've clipped under the world multiple times now. It always eventually snaps me back somewhere reasonable at least.

And the minor stutter/hitch after lots of actions still happens. But that's been there since I started playing after The Hobbit movie, guess it's too much work to fix. Pretty sure the UI is locked while it gets a response from the server on those actions which is just a bonehead decision one dev made forever ago, that they all probably hate.

Still love touring middle Earth, but it's the death by a thousand cuts stuff that always makes me take a break after a couple of months. Just get tired of janky experiences.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

xZAOx posted:

The lag is bad and makes me sad. The connection status shows my ping as 35ms so it's not me. The server just can't keep up. I wonder what's happened to make it get this much worse.

It's usually fine, but then it'll be really bad for like a minute or two. And war horses are even worse - I've clipped under the world multiple times now. It always eventually snaps me back somewhere reasonable at least.

And the minor stutter/hitch after lots of actions still happens. But that's been there since I started playing after The Hobbit movie, guess it's too much work to fix. Pretty sure the UI is locked while it gets a response from the server on those actions which is just a bonehead decision one dev made forever ago, that they all probably hate.

Still love touring middle Earth, but it's the death by a thousand cuts stuff that always makes me take a break after a couple of months. Just get tired of janky experiences.

Are you using the 64 bit client? Haven't played through the Mounted Combat areas since that was released but my understanding is that should have fixed a lot of the hitching that the 32 bit client had, you can change it in the launcher options.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, 64 bit client. And this is in more modern content currently, but again, it's always been this way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm also on the 64-bit client and the game was freezing and lagging really bad in the Archet region when I was trying out different classes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Was this on Landroval in the late afternoon to evening in the US? I've noticed some lag during those times, but it falls off outside of primetime.

Of course, "just play at a time that is probably less convenient for you" isn't a particularly helpful response and is treating the symptoms rather than the disease.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hello Sailor posted:

Was this on Landroval in the late afternoon to evening in the US? I've noticed some lag during those times, but it falls off outside of primetime.

Of course, "just play at a time that is probably less convenient for you" isn't a particularly helpful response and is treating the symptoms rather than the disease.

Might have been. That was a week ago. I finished up in Combe and made it down to Staddle today and a few hours ago and things were smooth.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I've had Minas Tirith crash to desktop somewhat often and lag quite a bit(I'm in the Wastes now, mercifully!). I had to turn the graphics quality down while in the city and that helped.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I have this week off - so I've been playing anytime between around 9:30 to midnight central, and the server lag has been a thing at various times in the day.

I remember back when Minas Tirith was new, yeah, the hitching was definitely worse. I don't get hitching when riding around anymore. Just the war horses rubberbanding, combined with server lag, can get really painful and drop me under the world at times.

The hitching I'm talking about it, is the UI locks while performing certain actions, almost certainly because the UI rendering thread is blocked waiting on the server's response. Usually this is stuff like doing the task board things, mainly turning in any quests. There's other things that do it too, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My guess is holiday time off + new expansion = higher player counts than normal and the servers are smoldering a bit.

Hell, throw FFIV's server issues in to the pile too, I've seen a surprising number of people talking about how they're hitting LOTRO while FFIV is unplayable. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some significant cross over between people who play the two games, given that they're both story heavy fantasy MMOs.

It's an older game and chances are they don't have a ton of flex in their server allotment and don't want to sign up for more capacity because they know it will return to the mean by Feb.

Hell, throw onto that general hosting issues. I don't know who they're buying their space from, but AWS has had a few issues in the last couple of weeks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Edit: Wrong thread whoops.

Enjoying Enedwaith, lots of atmosphere in these areas. Plus an mmo staple poop collection quest.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 1, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

bagrada posted:

Edit: Wrong thread whoops.

Enjoying Enedwaith, lots of atmosphere in these areas. Plus an mmo staple poop collection quest.

There's a hidden deed for doing that quest ten times.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Hello Sailor posted:

There's a hidden deed for doing that quest ten times.

Not surprised... I got the stairs and fishing hidden deeds but don't think I'll be going for that one anytime soon. I liked the end of the epic quest here, wasn't sure where they were going with it despite accidentally triggering the next book early. Fun when you get a npc standing ten feet away from himself in town.

On to Dunland. Level 73 so I might have to put the turtle stone back on again.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dunland is the only region I ended up liking even less than Rohan.

I wonder which genius developer came up with the idea of giving 9 out of 10 mobs a stun attack.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Moria has a poop quest, that ends with a piece of poop that's a piece of gear. It's still in my bank, heh

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

Dunland is the only region I ended up liking even less than Rohan.

I wonder which genius developer came up with the idea of giving 9 out of 10 mobs a stun attack.

At least Dunland spews out pretty dang decent cosmetic skins via quest gear. I've forced myself through it several times just to collect the dang armor. And also so I could skip a chunk of Rohan.

LOTRO conspiracy theory: Rohan exists to sell valar boosts.

Remember buy any Yule/Curator stuff in the next 24 hours, fellow adventurers.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Well, this is just some bullshit

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8118189#post8118189

quote:

Embers continue to be our cap level currency used to barter for cap level gear.
The only gear in-game that will disenchant into Embers will come from Adventurer's (level cap) Lootboxes.

Unless they radically expand in-game sources for Embers, this basically makes endgame gear Pay2Win.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Holy poo poo. Yeah, am I missing something? The ONLY way to get cap gear, is to get a lootbox, pay on the store to get keys, open it, the DE it to embers?

I mean, I assume you can still loot gear upgrades from bosses directly at least? But still, making the barter / token system P2W only is trash.

On the one hand, I haven't bothered with endgame systems in LOTRO because I've felt they were kind of trash anyways. I just enjoy landscape stuff and easy group content in this game. But even just being labeled P2W is kind of a death blow to old MMOs that are already not very popular.

I've noticed in this round of playing that lootboxes drop *constantly*. Just flooded with them. To the point that I finally just filtered them out. I remember I used to find keys every now and again, and haven't seen any - but maybe those were only from group content, which I've done none of lately.

LOTRO has been on the "sus" side of P2W for a while (mithril to teleport to quest things, buy store stuff to level up LIs, all the essence related stuff on the store), but this is a pretty garbage change. Just a bad look, ya know. Especially for a game that constantly has server lag as it is, even with no other people around.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lum_ posted:

Well, this is just some bullshit

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8118189#post8118189

Unless they radically expand in-game sources for Embers, this basically makes endgame gear Pay2Win.
Was anyone even asking for this? I'd hate for the game to go belly up, but ignoring the community in perpetuity and hitching your wagon to this kinda stuff is a potent combo.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
TBH, a lot of what they're talking about here, they make it sound like they're cracking some major design problem. This is how WoW handled various token currencies for years.

Tokens are bad luck protection, and when the next tier of content comes out, the top end becomes the lower tier. This isn't new at all.

Really the problem here is that crap you buy from the store (basically) is used to give top end gear.

And the figments change just seems like a "gently caress you" to cosmetic collectors. Glad that's not me!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692005-Changes-to-Motes-Ember-Figments/page11&p=8118755#post8118755

quote:

Alright, gonna go ahead and see if I can provide some answers and context on stuff here. I was the big driver of this change, so any frustrations or questions can be (politely) directed at me and I'll do my best to address it. Any successes are the team's. I don't ever really remember to look at my Private Messages, so I encourage you to keep responding to this thread, and I'll continue to read and respond as I'm able.

I've picked out a few consistent concerns and questions I've seen, and resp

Quote Originally Posted by Fureo View Post
From the Announcement we can't tell what are your intentions, for something that sounds rly stupid at first read.
I think it's fair to say we could've done more to indicate our intentions, so let me do so here. There were a few different reasons we wanted to make these changes:

Embers:
- The purpose of Embers was to act as a way to mitigate being unlucky with RNG. However, what it turned into was the fastest and best way to get the gear. We don't want players to run things that aren't the content the gear comes from as their primary way of getting that gear. In looking at why this was happening, the disenchanting of gear from any tier of any group instance was obviously where the bulk of Embers were coming from, in a way that really pushed players to grind to maximize their time. And especially, grind lower tier content to get higher tier gear. So that's why we removed the gear disenchant option to Embers. We'll have more ways to earn Embers when this goes live, and we'll be balancing around how many Embers a player can earn without opening lootboxes, as that's how most players play and we want to make sure you're still able to consistently get the gear you want... but the way we want you to get most of your pieces is by running the content where it drops.

- Embers being barterable into Motes and Figments never made a lot of sense to me, and in discussions with the team and observing player interactions, led to a lot of unintentional consequences we didn't like. Most players were converting into these other currencies because they were hitting the cap so often, and didn't really value them. This is generally ok for Motes - I'll explain why below - but less so for Figments - which I'll also explain below. Removing the ability to losslessly barter these currencies allowed us to feel much more comfortable raising the caps dramatically - of everything besides Figments, which I'll explain below. Breaking apart this relationship meant that we could better tailor rewards to players and give them good amounts of each of those things without having to worry that we were giving them game-breaking amounts, for example, so now we have the opportunity to give you Embers in places where it makes sense you'd care about them, and know that you're going to use them on the cap-level gear.

- The versioning is important for a few reasons:
1. It gives us a lot more flexibility to raise the currency cap, because if something goes wrong in a particular cycle and we give out too many sources of Embers, we can be comfortable that we haven't wrecked progression for Updates to come.
2. Similarly - and the reason the cap existed in the first place - Embers were a currency that only ever increased in value as you kept it. The best times to spend it were either when you were capped out or in the next Update, because the gear in the future would generally be better than the gear in the past. That turned it a completely different thing than we wanted it for. As mentioned above, the goal for Embers is to give you a way to mitigate bad luck, but if spending it is often the wrong move long term, it doesn't feel great no matter what you do with it. Versioning Embers into Motes lets us make it clear what Embers are for and give you lossless value without making you want to hoard it forever.
3. One of the issues we ran into was that in order to properly price new gear, we had to keep moving the price up and up until you basically needed to have Embers capped to spend it. This wasn't exactly a great experience for players. Versioning lets us maintain more consistent pricing, limits how much we need to increase prices as we roll out smaller content updates, and make it such that we can set them more sensibly in general. Even though we're increasing the cap by an order of magnitude, prices won't increase to match.
4. Versioning specifically Motes also lets us re-establish Motes as the catch up currency - more below - and lets us move gear that won't be top-end into Motes at that time, so it'll be even easier for players to catch up.

- We're going to add more sources of Embers. Some of those will be new repeatables, but we can now also do more one-off grants from different sources, such as landscape quests - the Epic, for example - and the Reward Track. One-off grants will generally be bigger than any of the repeatables, but now they'll be valuable and won't feel nearly as bad to get, where before a one-off could've easily overwhelmed your capped amount. Similarly, we won't be just multiplying the pricing by 10x as we did the cap, so you'll still gain value from these.

Motes
- The purpose of Motes was to essentially be a catch up currency, either for yourself or for your alts. You can also use it to get gear that has cosmetics you value. Now that we'll be versioning more consistently, we can do a better job of shifting stuff over to Motes more often so catch up is easier, and it gives us the opportunity to do more consolidation.

- With Motes no longer being barterable, we can also add more catch up things to it, like the Enhancement Runes mentioned in the announcement. This is something I'm personally pretty excited for, as it opens up a lot of great possibilities for improving the pre-cap experience. We're discussing more ways of taking advantage of that, and will have more to announce in the future.

- Motes are going to still be available to disenchant from gear because we want to maintain the Motes sourcing, even when you're doing max content. Motes will be pretty easily and reliable gained from multiple sources.

- Because of all this, we want to make it easier for you to hold onto a lot of Motes, so we've dramatically increased the cap to match. There's also an element of protection here to make sure we don't accidentally overdo it, but we're not versioning Motes to anything else.

Figments
- We're looking at the pricing structure we currently have. Giving the player a bigger cap will make it a bit easier for us to adjust pricing, but we're not planning to double the cap and then double all the costs, there's no value in doing so. We aren't increasing or changing Figments as dramatically because they're still an eternal currency in this model - however many you earn today is as many as you'll have until you spend it. And similar to how Embers are, whenever we add new cosmetics to the barterers, they're available for Figments directly, so your Figments have nominally infinite value. Of course, cosmetics tend to be a bit more subjective than power comparisons, so we expect that most players will get a bit choosier in terms of what cosmetics they prioritize. This is definitely trickiest for players who liked to collect 'em all, but we'll keep an eye on that and see what we can do.

- We're also going to add more sources for Figments, just like are with Embers, again such as with landscape quests and the Reward Track. We'll keep an eye on how acquisition looks for those, as we want to avoid the problems that caused us to make the change for Embers.

Of course what shines through is Pay2Win.
We can certainly debate this, but I don't think that's what the end result will be. If we find that players can't acquire gear consistently by playing the game, we'll adjust to improve that.

How do you get Embers now? Are the weeklies still working?
Yes, the current other Ember sources will continue to work. And as mentioned above, we'll continue to add Embers in more places.

Also why increase the caps if you can't get it anyway ?!
I mostly explained this above, but caps give us flexibility for pricing while also giving us protection in case we make sourcing that currency too easy. That's why the caps have been low for these currencies until now (and why it remains lower on Figments).

Technically this will also make people run less instances, so a decrease in motivation and endgame... Perfect!
I don't think that's what'll happen, but we'll see how it plays out. Part of the goal with this is to increase the value of running the instances that have the gear you want, and to make that the primary way to get gear. Right now, Embers are the best way to get the gear you want, not playing content.

So far this is: Increase prices for everything, but takeaway normal ways to get ressources.
So this certainly isn't true for Motes, based on what we described. It's less true for Embers, though of course we are removing some of the "normal" - by which I assume you mean "current" - ways of getting them, but as I've said above, we're adding new ones with 32 and beyond. Figments are definitely in the trickiest position here, but we'll be adding new ways to earn them as well. We'll see how that plays out and adjust as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
Well it's nice they're raising some caps - usually it's the other way around though I can't image how you would ever get 100k embers unless they plan to make them ridiculously easy to obtain.
We expect that most players won't hit the Ember cap like they're used to, but that's ok, because we also expect them to more consistently use their Embers as well, which is the goal. We certainly don't plan on making them ridiculously easy to obtain, but we are going to add more ways to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
No mention on how you're supposed to obtain figments with this update (other than the existing pay to open lootboxes).
Figments will still be available from Festivals, and we'll be adding additional sources in 32, such as with the Reward Track. We'll do landscape quests in the future, not sure if any of those will reward Figments in 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloriena View Post
You are saying, that can only disenchant Adventure gear into Embers in the note and I hope you just forgot to tell us that we can still disenchant engame instance loot (violet, teal and gold) into Embers as long as it is the current endgame gear...
No, these'll be disenchantable into Motes, not Embers. Only Adventurer's Gear will disenchant into Embers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hierona View Post
I just hope that embers will be pretty easy to obtain. Like, just from running an instance, and a bosschest gives like 1000 embers or something. That way it will not change much, except that you don't have to destroy gear for it.
Repeatable sources of Embers will be more frequent, but I don't think we'd put that amount on boss chests.

Quote Originally Posted by canyouaddcolour View Post
So...

Embers, Motes, Figments will now only come from:

Weeklies, Festivals, Lootboxes and disenchanting lootbox gear/items.
Plus additional sources we add.

Gear that's bad/useless/outdated (a huge chunk of LOTRO loot by design) will no longer contribute in any small way towards Embers/Motes accrual.
It'll still contribute to Mote accrual, but not Embers.

The caps are getting raised substantially, which probably means that the barter prices for items will be raised substantially.
We'll see some price growth, but Ember prices will probably stabilize at 2-3x of current prices. We'll see how that plays out. Mote prices probably won't change at all. Figment prices are more variable, but we're not talking about a 2x increase there.

This is just.. pretty clearly done with the goal of pushing people further towards Black Steel Keys.
To be clear, that's not the intent. We still want players to get the game and get the gear. But we want y'all to play where that gear drops more, as opposed to farming easy content to get the hard gear after earning the deed.

I'm just tired, man. I enjoy this game largely due to the people I know, and the world/lore being something that feels like an MMO home. That's all getting harder and harder to enjoy with the horrific instance server lag, painful customer service, unfinished group instances and clear design changes intended to further push people towards store for character progression.

I've played FFXIV off and on since ARR (2.0), but always come back to LOTRO as my 'home' game. Getting harder and harder to justify that.
More power to ya. Enjoy your break, we'll be here when you're ready to come back.

I'll try and come back to this thread periodically over the next few days!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Holy poo poo. Yeah, am I missing something? The ONLY way to get cap gear, is to get a lootbox, pay on the store to get keys, open it, the DE it to embers?

There are a limited number of dailies that reward embers but yeah, the vast majority of embers used to come from disenchanting lower level gear. It's a huge deflation in the amount of non-p2w embers in the system unless rewards for dailies go WAY up they won't

"We'll have more ways to earn embers when the change goes live" (stares at the non-functional legendary item interface)

fenix down posted:

Was anyone even asking for this? I'd hate for the game to go belly up, but ignoring the community in perpetuity and hitching your wagon to this kinda stuff is a potent combo.

yeah, this is game-killing. On the other hand, server lag should no longer be an issue!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 12, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I doubt it's game killing, if only because I've seen so many f2p mmos do dumb poo poo and keep trucking for years. Not to say it's not going to piss a bunch of people off, but I've weathered way too many "this is the end, they're going ot have to shut down" tempest in various teacups in others mmos.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

TBH, a lot of what they're talking about here, they make it sound like they're cracking some major design problem. This is how WoW handled various token currencies for years.

Tokens are bad luck protection, and when the next tier of content comes out, the top end becomes the lower tier. This isn't new at all.

Really the problem here is that crap you buy from the store (basically) is used to give top end gear.

And the figments change just seems like a "gently caress you" to cosmetic collectors. Glad that's not me!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692005-Changes-to-Motes-Ember-Figments/page11&p=8118755#post8118755
Thanks, that makes sense. They should have worded it differently to begin with - like saying "the primary source of embers will be endgame content*

*or also lootboxes

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The cash shop was the true endgame all along.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Weeklies will still give embers. So it seems to me this is just about getting a better handle on the pace that people can upgrade their gear using embers, and making sure that it doesn't differ that much between raiders and solo players.

In principle this is a perfectly reasonable thing for an MMO to do. The analogous thing in FFXIV is limiting you to getting 450 capped tombstones a week. It would have been more elegant to do a weekly ember cap but presumably they decided that was too hard to implement.

That being said, gearing in this game has been a flaming trash fire arguably since they introduced essences and certainly since they devalued main stat in favor of secondary stats (because it means that unlike in FFXIV straight ilvl increases aren't near-automatic upgrades). At this point I definitely only play the game for the world design and story.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I told my friend the only real reason to play this is to gently caress around in Middle Earth, and that's only been reinforced with these changes

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1481719474478792705

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

:nice:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I 100% guarantee this change was driven by someone looking at how few people bought lootbox keys

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

I 100% guarantee this change was driven by someone looking at how few people bought lootbox keys

Hah! I dunno man, when I was listing lootboxes for sale, they usually sold pretty steadily (just only for trivial amounts like 40s).

jalapeno_dude posted:

That being said, gearing in this game has been a flaming trash fire arguably since they introduced essences

Hard agree. That's when I started not caring about gear progression in this game. Essences were work to get, and the 'best' way to keep them when upgrading was store crap. Looks like removals can be bought with marks and stuff now though, but not sure if that was always the case.

This does really feel like tossing the baby out with the bathwater, though. Someone got their feelings hurt and took their ball and went home. It needed a few tweaks and I think it would have been fine.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xZAOx posted:

This does really feel like tossing the baby out with the bathwater, though. Someone got their feelings hurt and took their ball and went home. It needed a few tweaks and I think it would have been fine.

A rejection of P2W is a rejection of America. Those who provided negative feedback will have their accounts closed for suspicion of treason.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hello Sailor posted:

A rejection of P2W is a rejection of America. Those who provided negative feedback will have their accounts closed for suspicion of treason.

:911:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I’m afraid I’ve burned out on Treebeard. Progress is glacial, the quest text isn’t worth reading, and the UI can’t handle rapid-fire “turn brain off, grab all quests, do all quests, repeat” of WoW. There also just… doesn’t seem to be all that much to look forward to with the classes I’ve played. Captain and Loremaster seem to have most of their damaging abilities by level 10, and I can’t imagine spending the next 50 levels running back and forth between Hobbits who vomit text while occasionally stopping to collect eight bear asses with the same skills I was using at 10.

I’m on the ropes with this one, which is lovely because the first impression was so good that I put money into it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Have you gotten past the starter zones?

Because I though it really picked up on the back half of book 1. Book 2 (moria) is really good too.

The ballad of Bingo Boffin is also legit really entertaining and one of the better long form side quest chains I can remember in any game, mmo or not.

I also feel zero compunction about skipping bad quests. If a zone is full of people who want bear asses I just sail on by and stick to the main quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Isn't Treebeard one of the reduced-xp servers? Don't play on those.