Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/JVUa2LD.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Pirates can be brought back around by making contacts and doing missions for them. The exploration missions are the easiest to grab to get them back on side when they come up.

Just make sure to load up on sabots and kinetic ballistics if you're fighting Remnants. They're aggressive but they fold quickly if you can get the numbers and push their flux up.
Personally I also think EMPs like ion cannons are the underappreciated game winners. Your survivability goes up a poo poo ton when your enemy can't field all their guns on you.

Sounds like with the fleet you've got now you'll make easy work until you hit the Radiants which I'm always cautious fighting no matter how far in I am.

Phase ships I load up on alpha strike weapons. Reapers, anti-matter blasters and such. They're extremely vulnerable when they get outnumbered but if they get the drop on an enemy they can delete them effortlessly. Some of them have specials to help other ships, like bringing down shields at key moments or increasing their vulnerability to damage. The zig I put tachyon lances and reapers on.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If you can put an EMP weapon that's got the same range as your main guns it's definitely a good choice, it severely punishes enemies that try and drop shields when they're near max flux so it forces them to make a lot of other mistakes.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I read somewhere that even if you befriend pirates they'll still have the pirate activity they just won't launch raids which is dumb. It becomes even worse when there's multiple high tier pirate bases because you get hit with the -3 stability. I think there's something weird with the pathers and multiple colonies because i had all of the pathers turn to sleepers then a few dissolve. It might have been every one of their bases got destroyed which i find kinda hard to believe haha. Oh the AI inspections don't stop even when you say gently caress off haha they come like clock work giving me really nice XIV ships to salvage.

I tried the zig and while it can be amazing it's no where near the 2 capitals worth of DP--gonna moth ball it and drag it around to trigger the events.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arghy posted:

I read somewhere that even if you befriend pirates they'll still have the pirate activity they just won't launch raids which is dumb. It becomes even worse when there's multiple high tier pirate bases because you get hit with the -3 stability. I think there's something weird with the pathers and multiple colonies because i had all of the pathers turn to sleepers then a few dissolve. It might have been every one of their bases got destroyed which i find kinda hard to believe haha. Oh the AI inspections don't stop even when you say gently caress off haha they come like clock work giving me really nice XIV ships to salvage.

I tried the zig and while it can be amazing it's no where near the 2 capitals worth of DP--gonna moth ball it and drag it around to trigger the events.

I tried being friends with pirates and it blows.

Pirate activity has a stability malus that scales in relation to your relations with the pirates, so you only get -0 to stability at 100% relations. Any drop will take you to -1 or -2.

Meanwhile you give up on all deserter bounties which are the most fun and varied fights imo.

Not worth, just kill them all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Personally, I love the Ziggurat. It's super fun to pilot, and it can solo pretty much anything short of that (mod) Hiigaran superdreadnought. I've taken out paired alpha-core Radiants with it before. Of course, it's intended to be an OP ship, so that makes sense. The EMP wisps are stupid strong as both a disabler and free PD.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

WarpedLichen posted:

Pirate activity has a stability malus that scales in relation to your relations with the pirates, so you only get -0 to stability at 100% relations. Any drop will take you to -1 or -2.

Meanwhile you give up on all deserter bounties which are the most fun and varied fights imo.

In this case, Vayra's or Bounties Expanded is the way to go: bounties are generated with target fleets belonging to non-pirate factions, which both feels slightly more realistic than fighting hordes of multi-capital "deserter" fleets and makes building rep with the pirates a bit more viable if that's the path you choose to take.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm at the point where bounties have jumped to 3+ Cruisers and I'm still fielding 3 Destroyers as my biggest ships. 2 millions in the bank though. Should I look at getting a commission for some good ships, or just try colonising something?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
either one will work, but personally I loving love flying a destroyer/frigate pack so you could just salvage some of those enemy cruisers and fit them with literally whatever + bulkhead/blastdoor combo and use it as a meat shield to distract the enemy. if you're a cycle or so in i would set up a colony simply for the free storage tbh.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm at the point where bounties have jumped to 3+ Cruisers and I'm still fielding 3 Destroyers as my biggest ships. 2 millions in the bank though. Should I look at getting a commission for some good ships, or just try colonising something?

In addition to what Larry said, don't be afraid to constantly check the black market to see if there's any worthwhile ships for sale. With two million in your warchest you should be easily able to afford anything neat that pops up there, and while the local authorities might get a bit pissy about your "smuggling" as long as you're not carrying any actual contraband goods it won't amount to much more than a point or two of relationship drop when an officer scans you, which is nothing.

Also cultivate your contacts! It's random, but they can offer ships of their faction type going up to cruisers even without a commission.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I'm doing an Imperium playthrough and I'm kinda stumped on what ship to fly and general fleet doctrine. I'm needing some tips.

What's a good ship for piloting yourself? So far at day 30 I'm running with an Ixion, fun but it looks like a missile saturation boat more than a hunter killer like a Falcon (P) could be, a Sebastos that is my fleet core and I'm flying an Interrex as my flagship, along with a Libritor (it's fun artillery), a Torment (meh) a couple of Invictus frigates (which don't seem really good) and a Decurion gunship.

The Interrex flagship I've been running with SO and twin Plasma Streamers (the big fuckoff flamethrowers from High Tech Expansion), and while it's fun to zip around torching stuff it doesn't do a lot of damage really. How should I build it? The Elite Package looks like a must have but I can't find it anywhere (I only have the starter Armor and Targeting packages).

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 12, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

how does scanning even work, they never seem to catch my dozens of cores

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

like im getting the sneaking suspicion its a % chance based on the AMOUNT of units of contraband vs non-contraband goods

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Excelzior posted:

how does scanning even work, they never seem to catch my dozens of cores

If you have ships with shielded cargo holds (Hounds, Mules, etc.) they will hide illegal cargo for you when you get scanned. Just make sure you don't have more illegal goods than shielded cargo space.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Washin Tong posted:

If you have ships with shielded cargo holds (Hounds, Mules, etc.) they will hide illegal cargo for you when you get scanned. Just make sure you don't have more illegal goods than shielded cargo space.

interesting but I never run those and apparently they at best give a 75% chance to dodge the scan

the wiki says it works like this

e : cant hotlink the wiki, my bad

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 12, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so yeah if youre carrying 2,000 units of ore and 15 alpha cores they are never in a million years going to catch you

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Excelzior posted:

the wiki says it works like this

Wikia blocks hotlinking it looks like.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Manyorcas posted:

Wikia blocks hotlinking it looks like.

ty I keep forgetting

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I've never once had alpha cores caught in a scan.

I HAVE had contraband drugs or heavy arms or whatnot looted from scavenging detected on a regular basis, though. I always assumed that AI cores just didn't count for scans.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My head cannon has always been that even in “storage” alpha cores can just defeat the scans electronically.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

never considered that it was based on ratio of good to bad cargo rather than raw volume of illegal poo poo you're carrying lol. finally a strong case for just loading up on metal all the time

SpaceDrake posted:

I think it's a bit more that, if marines aren't going to be part of boarding and raiding isn't going to be a resource fountain, they kind of need a reason to exist in more than very small numbers in the base game.

They have reasons to exist in Nex, but in vanilla they're now fairly pointless beyond about 50 or so.

my understanding is that giving colonies and boarding another pass is the last big thing on the to-do list before he calls the game finished, it's just in its previous form boarding kinda sucked. either you had the resources to take a ship or you didn't, and the only difference whether that's measured in marines or supplies was with the latter you spend half the time loving around with actuarial horseshit and some latitude to decide how you spend your resources on the fly, and with the former you get some Deep Lore about how space conscripts will universally fight to the last for their right to die on a scorched hunk of scrap drifting millions of miles from any possible help

Fat Samurai posted:

I've never actually gotten a commission, or maybe I did once like seven years ago and forgot about it. If you poke around outside the core the game basically throws free cruisers and capitals at you, I guess it could be worth the hassle if you really specifically want a bunch of Dooms and don't want to DIY a shipyard

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You can still get dinged for just having a lot of cargo I believe.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm always friends with pirates because they and the LP always have the most absolutely hosed to poo poo best markets.

And if you use the Industrial Revolution mod, pirate and lp friendliness gives you stability and population growth when you make the Privateers industry which is THE BEST Industry because who doesn't like pirating other factions.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Brainbread posted:

And if you use the Industrial Revolution mod, pirate and lp friendliness gives you stability and population growth when you make the Privateers industry which is THE BEST Industry because who doesn't like pirating other factions.

I had a big post written up earlier about how Pirate relations are great because of the Privateer base until I remembered it wasn't vanilla. Such a great mod.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've never actually gotten a commission, or maybe I did once like seven years ago and forgot about it. If you poke around outside the core the game basically throws free cruisers and capitals at you, I guess it could be worth the hassle if you really specifically want a bunch of Dooms and don't want to DIY a shipyard

Commissions are money for nothing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But not ships for free, other than in the sense that money is convertable into ships.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Kris xK posted:

I had a big post written up earlier about how Pirate relations are great because of the Privateer base until I remembered it wasn't vanilla. Such a great mod.

I need to restart my Nex run as independent, save up enough cash and just privateer base on every colony before I make them autonomous. I don't need them to earn money I need them to stir up as much poo poo as I can.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Seeing as i'm not installing anything lore wise i'm just gonna install abuncha mods(adjusted sector, IE, objects analysis, S&W, musashi, terraforming and station construction) but has anyone messed with AS? I want to just create a slightly bigger sector not this insane large sector. Anyone got a preset that isn't too far off the original? I want like 50 new systems and turning some of the salvage stuff up.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Arghy posted:

Seeing as i'm not installing anything lore wise i'm just gonna install abuncha mods(adjusted sector, IE, objects analysis, S&W, musashi, terraforming and station construction) but has anyone messed with AS? I want to just create a slightly bigger sector not this insane large sector. Anyone got a preset that isn't too far off the original? I want like 50 new systems and turning some of the salvage stuff up.

If thats all you're looking to do, editing the settings.json in the config folder is your best bet. You'll want to replace

code:
"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":160,
"AdjustedSectorConstellationSize":900,
and

code:
"sectorConstellationRuinsMin":60,
"sectorConstellationRuinsMax":80,
The file is really easy to edit and theres a writeup on the forum post so just poke around.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i was just worried about over doing it but the default setting is actually really good even though it's just 10 new systems but i'd advise looking at your star map to avoid and weird core world overlaps. My first 2 saves had some weird overlaps in the core. I'm loving the space battleships and ships and weapons though i can already see i'm gonna favor the smarter layouts of the new ships vs the vanilla ships janky layouts.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

How does adjusted sector work with hyperspace tunnels? I seem to remember Alex saying they were pulled from a hard-coded pool

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I was so put off by how the guy who tells you about them emphasises that you'll need a good fleet because you're expected to fight the Hegemony's enemies. All it actually did was hammer the gently caress out of my relationships with them, and that's very fixable.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright you def wanna push out the sector size, had to restart multiple times because black holes were eating core systems haha. I increased both sizes by 400 then increased the system count to 15 more systems.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

i just don't personally find spending any extended period dicking around in the core systems very much fun, i only come back to inhabited space when I'm out of gas or out of cargo space, nothing a commission can theoretically offer me is worth being expected to care who's fighting who this week while I'm figuring out which planet I could just barely make it back to

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 13, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
With adjusted sector I have found that simply doubling the sector height (and frequency of everything associated with number of stars) works well.

Distances aren't so crazy, load times not so long, still more stars than it's likely you'll ever explore in a single run.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

i just don't personally find spending any extended period dicking around in the core systems very much fun, i only come back to inhabited space when I'm out of gas or out of cargo space, nothing a commission can theoretically offer me is worth being expected to care who's fighting who this week while I'm figuring out which planet I could just barely make it back to

What if [%FACTION] was also paying you a small fortune every month for the privilege of loving off and completely ignoring the internal affairs of the core worlds?

If you're worried about market accessibility just go with the Persean League since they have outposts everywhere but the southeast corner of the core worlds.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You also get paid for blowing up Remnant ships, because everyone hates the Remnant. There's zero downside to getting a commission.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Commissions don't require you to spend any time in the core at all. They don't require you to do anything at all. It's money for nothing.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My headcannon is that the factions have recognized that the player is the Protagonist of Reality and their 'commission' is just protection money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'd pay some random 60k a month to survey a bunch of planets and clear out the rabble.