Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Tony is pretty lousy as a lead announcer on Elevation and sometimes he can be too corny/on the nose with the "Wow, We Are Watching A Great Match Right Now!"-type lines on Dynamite, but he's still a welcome presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I like Tony. I prefer him over JR any day. It's not even that JR is bad. It's more that I really like the Schiavone, Taz, Excalibur dynamic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

I find it difficult to understand how anyone could see skeeavone's time in AEW as anything other than superb. Never have I turned around on someone as fast or as completely as Schiavone on commentary.

He's not doing it in WWE, that's why.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tony reminds me of a dad who tries to get into his sons hobbies to try and connect to him and ends up getting carried away and becoming obsessed about the hobby. It makes me happy.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

He's not doing it in WWE, that's why.

Well, to be fair he became very bad at the end of WCW (who didn't) so I think a lot of people were unsure about him. His MLW work pre-AEW was great and it was the first time I'd heard him since WCW - it sounded like he was just having so much fun calling these young wrestlers' matches.

Aside from TK obviously loving WCW, I wonder if he would have even been considered in AEW if not for that short MLW run reigniting his passion and showing people he could be a great wrestling announcer again?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
schiavone's great. he's obviously enjoying himself and it adds a lot, and i love him getting absolutely vicious towards heels (mainly mjf)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

xbilkis posted:

I think Tony is pretty lousy as a lead announcer on Elevation and sometimes he can be too corny/on the nose with the "Wow, We Are Watching A Great Match Right Now!"-type lines on Dynamite, but he's still a welcome presence

It is a little much sometimes but I think in a lot of cases he's just legitimately marking out and I'd probably do the same thing

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Schiavone was very unhappy at the end of his WCW and was mailing it in, but honestly can you blame him? He had to share a desk with Mark Madden, probably the worst television commentator ever, plus the terrible company management and garbage booking.

I think the combination of Madden and the terrible on screen product for most of late stage WCW tainted a lot of people's recollections of Schiavone so they remembered him as worse than he actually was.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
has Tony even dropped a "This is the greatest night in the history of our sport!" in AEW yet?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Schiavone forever redeemed himself when he was legitimately pleasantly surprised at Excalibur calling the Vader Bomb during a match. "Is that what it's called now, the Vader Bomb? That is really cool :)"

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I mostly like Tony, except when he is cheering for Britt Baker. When he does that, I wish Thunder Rosa or another tough/cool woman would brain him with a steel chair and leave him a bloody mess. The same goes for anyone else cheering for Britt Baker.

But other than that I enjoy his commentary and I think it's fun to hear how excited he gets. He also hates MJF and Don Callis so much that it cracks me up.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Schiavone referenced the Jerry Lynn - Steve Corino feud last week which means at some point he has watched a decent amount of old school ECW which makes him OK in my books.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Saul Goode posted:

Schiavone referenced the Jerry Lynn - Steve Corino feud last week which means at some point he has watched a decent amount of old school ECW which makes him OK in my books.

He was watching the shows for his podcast with Conrad & while I've not checked in on it for ages he definitely dug it.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/Defeft/status/1481252043423637504?t=HqM9aN293rmbe_c3Stg8jA&s=19

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dromal phrenia posted:

I don't remember anyone saying that, and I doubt the tweeter actually saw posts like that, but 100% of the time the answer to "did anyone actually say this stupid poo poo?" is yes.

It's a combination of confirmation bias, and that same clickbait thing from a few years ago where all religious people everywhere were supposedly flipping out over red Starbucks Christmas cups, when it was only like 2 people on Twitter complaining.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Somebody wants Striker to replace Tony?

LOL

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Matt Striker should go home, he's done more than enough

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ganso Bomb posted:

Aside from TK obviously loving WCW, I wonder if he would have even been considered in AEW if not for that short MLW run reigniting his passion and showing people he could be a great wrestling announcer again?

The whole reason he's in AEW is cause Cody loves him ever since he worked with Cody's dad so probably

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

dromal phrenia posted:

I mostly like Tony, except when he is cheering for Britt Baker. When he does that, I wish Thunder Rosa or another tough/cool woman would brain him with a steel chair and leave him a bloody mess. The same goes for anyone else cheering for Britt Baker.

The bad takes are coming from inside the thread!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

I like Tony. I prefer him over JR any day. It's not even that JR is bad. It's more that I really like the Schiavone, Taz, Excalibur dynamic.

That’s a better dynamic but JR is much better with Tony, too. He was struggling a bit on those early PPVs.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
My favorite Schiavone moment was when Eddie Kingston was on commentary during Penta/Fenix II. Penta starts tearing Fenix's mask and Tony, heartbroken that these two brothers are brutalizing each other for no reason, just goes "Eddie, what did you do?" Really put over how senseless and tragic the match was, despite it being an amazing spectacle.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Saul Goode posted:

Yeah, that loving ruled and made me smile

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

hell yeah dude just like the hulkster

https://twitter.com/Blade__McG/status/1481234398494089218?s=20

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ok that's the dumbest take of 2022 so far.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/HecBitw/status/1481382646735601667?s=20

I had to dig to find what this was in reference to and I guess the Wendy's and AEW social accounts were doing epic social media guy tweets at each other.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I had to dig to find what this was in reference to and I guess the Wendy's and AEW social accounts were doing epic social media guy tweets at each other.

Probably threw it out after this:

https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1481409030505603072?s=20
https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1481417661250605057?s=20

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Okay I know it's Gareth but the absolute mental gymnastics on display here is astounding. It's basically the same idea except the AEW one is bad because.....????????

Also the idea of comparing Hogan to someone with a "lazy wrestler" gimmick when Kevin Nash is right there, come on people

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's bad because AEW, and this is good because it's NXT 2.0, which is better than 1.0 because that failed to kill AEW. It's very simple.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm sure there were pockets of this on the internet, but it seemed like most people here at least were disappointed he signed with them but completely understood it considering his visa situation? Were people really that bothered?
Even after he spoke about the visa situation, it seemed like lots of people didn't understand why NXT UK was the only realistic possibility for him. The way that USCIS handles wrestler work visas (and the way the INS did previously) prioritized all sorts of awards and titles and kayfabe accomplishments and the like. Almost everything of note that Ben Carter had done up to that point that had gotten him acclaim etc. was while working illegally on a student visa. (I don't remember if he overstayed at all.) WWE having NXT UK allowed him somewhere to land for now. Everyone in his ear told him to take the NXT UK offer and then see where he was at when his deal was up and he could use the NXT UK stuff to help get a U.S. work visa.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gonna post some bizarre fanart to save us from Lareth.

https://twitter.com/FournierCarol1/status/1481464282365759490

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that just rules

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MassRafTer posted:

Gonna post some bizarre fanart to save us from Lareth.

https://twitter.com/FournierCarol1/status/1481464282365759490

Cool but also wha?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
tbf PCO fuckin rules

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I'm so mad at AEW I'm gonna... buy the products of the brands engaging them thus reinforcing the connection between promoting AEW and increased profits??? :psyduck:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean he hates AEW so much he bought second row floor seats to one of their shows so i'm not sure he's fully aware of how money works

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Giving AEW money to own Tony Khan

gottem

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Alaois posted:

I mean he hates AEW so much he bought second row floor seats to one of their shows so i'm not sure he's fully aware of how money works

I thought that was Danny Tejada

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Okay I know it's Gareth but the absolute mental gymnastics on display here is astounding. It's basically the same idea except the AEW one is bad because.....????????

Also the idea of comparing Hogan to someone with a "lazy wrestler" gimmick when Kevin Nash is right there, come on people

Also it shows they don't actually watch OC but just parrot Cornette. When Orange does a fiery comeback, he's as good as any babyface. The one he did in the 3 way title match last year is one the best I've seen in a long time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Also it shows they don't actually watch OC but just parrot Cornette. When Orange does a fiery comeback, he's as good as any babyface. The one he did in the 3 way title match last year is one the best I've seen in a long time.

Him getting super worked up to motivate Statlander when she faced Britt was also a good example of this because it was literally the opposite of his normal personality but it worked so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

Him getting super worked up to motivate Statlander when she faced Britt was also a good example of this because it was literally the opposite of his normal personality but it worked so well.

I'm still bummed that it didn't lead to a Statlander victory. It was such a big moment!