Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Vargo posted:

Comics Kingdom now has an RIP WILBUR section in their store where you can buy Wilbur merch and framed copies of the death strips:

https://shop.comicskingdom.com/collections/rip-wilbur-weston?s=09

lol that someone saw an insane spike in traffic on Mary Worth and figured out that people would genuinely pay money to commemorate Wilber dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

It's actually surprising to me that drunk people falling off cruise ships is not more common than it is.

as I understand it cruise ship passengers spend 90% of their time quarantined in their cabins with COVID or food poisoning

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

csammis posted:

lol that someone saw an insane spike in traffic on Mary Worth and figured out that people would genuinely pay money to commemorate Wilber dying

I really can't wait to explain to my girlfriend WHY I bought a Mary Worth shirt.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

csammis posted:

They're right but you gotta get it done while the iron is hot. A week from now no one is going to buy that shirt.

Probably.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

They're going to blow through a lot of paper if they insist on having a separate page for each question.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

They're right but you gotta get it done while the iron is hot. A week from now no one is going to buy that shirt.

Probably.

I’m starting to believe there’s a chance the shipwrecked Castaway desert island Wilbur story might actually happen. Then he’d be big again a year later when that story comes around and he’s rescued.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m starting to believe there’s a chance the shipwrecked Castaway desert island Wilbur story might actually happen. Then he’d be big again a year later when that story comes around and he’s rescued.
I don't know how they're going to do it or how long it will take, but I am 100% sure we have not seen the last of Wilbur.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao why is it official merch

okay so he's DEFINITELY coming back

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wilbur is going to remain in the strip as a ghost.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
in a crossover with the mystery teens it will be revealed that lem survived and grew up into wilbur

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in a crossover with the mystery teens it will be revealed that lem survived and grew up into wilbur

Impossible, Wilbur very much is not a good laugh once you get to know him.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
First of all, I want to say that I really appreciate the Japanese and Korean translators of this thread.

I really like Uramachi Sakuba, but it hits a pet peeve that I have with Japanese comics, I have seen it in 4 comics already - the crazy skin map one, the Dungeon Meshi, yakuza husband, and this one. Why don't they shut up about the food? "Hmmm it's so tasty" "wow they are just perfect!" who the f*** cares?!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Food's good, op

all the ones you've listed have "the cooking and sharing of food" as a theme wtf do you expect

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

First of all, I want to say that I really appreciate the Japanese and Korean translators of this thread.

I really like Uramachi Sakuba, but it hits a pet peeve that I have with Japanese comics, I have seen it in 4 comics already - the crazy skin map one, the Dungeon Meshi, yakuza husband, and this one. Why don't they shut up about the food? "Hmmm it's so tasty" "wow they are just perfect!" who the f*** cares?!

This has the same energy as a that tumblr post about the guy who keeps walking into gay bars and then getting mad they're full of gay people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

It always makes me a little sad to see how basically any culture except generic western culture celebrates food and the sharing thereof. I wish that'd been my experience growing up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Extremely descriptive inner monologue is also just a huge thing in manga in general, food or not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
can you really call it manga if reading it doesn't make you hungry

I find reading Dungeon Meshi and getting mad about the food love to be the absolutely funniest rock headed thing possible.

STINK1985
Sep 4, 2007
Now that we're on the topic, I really like the way the food in Uramachi Sakaba is drawn. It seems like it'd be tricky to make food look delicious in black & white, but Maruoka nails it. Makes me want to try these dishes lol

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
"Reveling in the joy of cheap but delicious bar food" is definitely one of the central literary themes of Uramachi Sakaba - but that said, this chapter is about these two doofuses:

ChaCha Chako

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Chacha :ohdear:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Food's good, op

all the ones you've listed have "the cooking and sharing of food" as a theme wtf do you expect

Just read a shonen action manga! Nobody in Dragon Ball ever goes on and on about how amazing food is. Especially not these two cool guys!

ah gently caress

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aragones

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

I forgot to say, thanks for posting this!!! I've been reading through Groo and some Mad collections of him here and there the past couple years, it's really great stuff.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Murdstone posted:

It's actually surprising to me that drunk people falling off cruise ships is not more common than it is.

It's pretty common, they just don't publicize it because it'd be bad for business.

Here's a case of a crew disappearance that Disney covered up:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Rebecca_Coriam

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Yes, getting mad about food in Dungeon Meshi is dumb, sorry about that.
I am also aware that food is a central theme in Uramachi, I just find it by far its least interesting aspect.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winklebean

I legitimately have no idea if we're meant to find this guy to be humorous or just the worst person to ever live. It'd be easier if everyone else in Funky wasn't ALSO a wryly-smirking rear end in a top hat exulting in how huge they are in their small pond.
:haw:

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 1/11/02

History will look upon this as your Everett True moment, Darby.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Xbone
Nov 3, 2013

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I knew it felt like I'd seen this joke within the last month:

It's a good gag that works in both panels, but I prefer the bear one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break for a while.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 13, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 22-23, 1990)

Solid visual gag. I approve.

No Blind Alley today

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth in "Ted of Two Worlds"

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 30, 1934)

Peanuts (January 15, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater refuses to share its recipe for smoked Olives. (August 13, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 17-19, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (August 1-3, 1918)

Dok's "It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know" Duck (December 7, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 2-4, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (July 13-15, 1931)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 3, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 1, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 13, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 15, 1936

Mopsy September 22, 1937

Up Front October 26, 1944

Dark Laughter July 15, 1950

So It Seems March 28, 1952

This Joke is Perennial December 26, 1957

Wee Pals April 6, 1966

Dogbert November 1, 1966

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

also I don't know where I was going with this, if anywhere

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Those rock, nice work.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth in "Ted of Two Worlds"

Is the "one word in a year" thing true? Did Ted get mostly-ignored for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff

Colourist!!!! :argh: