Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
We need to see the line orders for your busses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Well I ended up solving the problem by moving more people in to the building. Now with 179 workers some are waiting at the bus stop, but they aren't very many so I wonder if I'm doing something sub optimally. Busses are only managing to get 5-10 workers usually.

The line looked like this

Same orders for the other stop. I didn't know it mattered, but I've set it to only pick up workers now, and also disabled passengers at the stop itself. I suppose maybe the busses were picking them up as passengers and wasting their time, never fulfilling their needs so they never decide to go to work? I'm not noticing an increase in workers waiting yet though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you sure they aren't going to staff the building sites or something? They will literally walk to build the house next door, I think also only a third or so of the workers are actually available at any one time as I think they spend one third of their time trying to fulfil needs and a third of their time at home asleep.

Silly as it sounds you might be well served just looking at the pedestran traffic and seeing where people are going from your building.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The best throughput you can sustain is about 1/3 of the worker population because a workshift is 8 hours and they spend the rest of the 24 hour block off work. It can get worse from there due to lack of kindergartens, and if they are having trouble fulfilling base needs (I think these days condensed into loyalty affecting how willing they are to start a work day), and if their commute is obnoxiously long as these are all things that delay starting a work day.

I.e. coming from one 189 worker pop tenement block, you can expect 63 workers at most at a given instant and likely less. They also trickle out based on their internal timers instead of there being a given shift so. Ex. if your commute route frequency works out to 4 times per 8 worker hours you shouldn't be seeing more than 15 or so workers at the bus stop by the time a bus arrives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basically everyone is surprisingly busy all the time and the actual extractable portion of their labour is quite small, doubly so if you have to transport them somewhere.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Ok 1/3rd being available tracks, 97 workers with 37 jobs around them so no one showed up at that bus stop.

What kind of self imposed cosmonaut rules do you all like with regards to importing immigrants? Needing to resettle almost 200 workers to set up a new self contained population center can pack quite the punch. Also do children age real time, do I need to wait out 5 years on the clock for my 16 year old's to move out and become workers?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Ok 1/3rd being available tracks, 97 workers with 37 jobs around them so no one showed up at that bus stop.

What kind of self imposed cosmonaut rules do you all like with regards to importing immigrants? Needing to resettle almost 200 workers to set up a new self contained population center can pack quite the punch. Also do children age real time, do I need to wait out 5 years on the clock for my 16 year old's to move out and become workers?

I don't recall how fast they actually age, I want to say it's a game month or two per year of their life.

As far as immigration goes, I don't have a problem with paying for immigrants. You'll eventually starve yourself of educated workers into a failure spiral if your first building isn't a university and you don't import college educated workers. Cosmonaut is ultimately about what you're willing to restrain YOURSELF to, especially in regards to things like "the road is 99% done but no one wants to show up for the last 1%" situations.

Also, as useful as it would be, I don't think you can financially afford to go straight to steel, unless you're willing to go heavily into debt (another cosmonaut restraint; I'll take out loans to prevent insolvency at the border but that's it for my current run, and the loans should get repaid as soon as possible). Clothing has been a good "intermediary" industry for my cosmonaut starts; the raw material and the export are both relatively pricy, so you waste little on fuel and new vehicle costs, it employs a relatively small amount of workers, and the pollution cost isn't huge. The revenue from that pays for importing basic goods for your workers and a modest amount of building material to start making more industries.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Allright more bus line problems for me. Now I seem to have an issue with students not making it to university.

Plenty of students wait at the bus stop, but the busses are only picking up 2 at a time when they stop.

I have the busses set to pick up only students who have a basic education, and then drop them off straight at the university. And it looks to me that all of the students waiting at the stop do indeed have a basic education already. What could I be doing wrong?

Edit: I tried switching over to have the busses deliver the students to the bus stop near the university instead, which made no difference.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 3, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is one of the obnoxious aspects of how lines quantify people. Once they turn 18(?) they are no longer children, but instead are basic-educated workers. You might be wondering "what happens if your bus stop is for both students AND workers?" and the answer is "lmao"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I have never actually bothered to try and bus people to university or school, I just build schools so everywhere has foot coverage and the university seems to cycle through a shitload of people anyway, I think people move near it if they want an education? Or that might be what dorms are for? Or alternatively you could presumably build a housing block or two that only accepts non-university educated people so they should concentrate there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I have never actually bothered to try and bus people to university or school, I just build schools so everywhere has foot coverage and the university seems to cycle through a shitload of people anyway, I think people move near it if they want an education? Or that might be what dorms are for? Or alternatively you could presumably build a housing block or two that only accepts non-university educated people so they should concentrate there.

It's more relevant when you cannot place a university in every population center. Dorms are nice but you have to be an adult to move there, so if you want children to be college educated from the get go you have to bus/rail/fly/float them in anyway.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Volmarias posted:

This is one of the obnoxious aspects of how lines quantify people. Once they turn 18(?) they are no longer children, but instead are basic-educated workers. You might be wondering "what happens if your bus stop is for both students AND workers?" and the answer is "lmao"
That doesn't seem to be the issue. Examining a bus which just made the stop, it picked up two 18 year old's and a 19 year old. But left behind 15 students, 7 of whom were also either 18 or 19. And the rest under 18. Also I noticed they only picked up the ones with an education level of exactly 1.0. Some of the ones left behind had between 1.25 and 1.42. But some 1.0's were also left behind.

Edit: Okay I'm an idiot. I had a minimum government loyalty of 30% for students at the university :cripes:
Although their loyalty was unknown so technically they should still have gone.

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 3, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Edit: Okay I'm an idiot. I had a minimum government loyalty of 30% for students at the university :cripes:
Although their loyalty was unknown so technically they should still have gone.

Huh, that feels like a bug, since I would have expected the same. I saw the ?? loyalty so I thought it wasn't that either.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

0.8.6.7 was just released on the test branch. Rail distribution offices and crime!
https://steamcommunity.com/app/784150/discussions/6/3193615072224177718/

Also a bunch of other changes apparently
https://steamcommunity.com/app/784150/discussions/6/3193615072224143928/

spckr fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 10, 2022

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
so maps... what are good ones? This game seems pretty low key and browsing the workshop isn't great. Basically, give me some good maps please!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This is my favorite that I’ve seen that’s an island map. It has a “customs area” on the main island and a pre built power plant so you can do a sort of kosmonaut start without having to auto build too much. It’s interesting enough, though mostly fairly open space if you’re willing to spend a little time with the terrain tools.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2616441553

Mind you the “customs area” is a little weird and can’t totally be deleted or moved, if that bugs you at all.

The Passage is by far my favorite map, but it scares a lot of people off. It’s got a lot of really restricting land with limited (easy) resources and that’s definitely challenging, but in some ways I see that as an advantage. You aren’t paralyzed by choice because certain things have to go certain places, really. It’s beautiful, but even still, maybe not a good beginner map.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2349706377

Burachkova is decent. It’s mostly flat, but has some slight challenges to fight with a “theory” behind it that you build from one easy, flat corner to more annoying regions with better resources. It’s hand crafted and looks nice enough, but doesn’t have any extremely “unique” features. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2512383145

I like Morgenrot a lot. It’s not especially notable, but it’s got a nice vibe, lots of space, but enough interesting land to present some challenges. Lots of rivers/water.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2140779329

There’s definitely a lot of other good maps but many are going to come down to what you’re looking for. I generally really dislike “real” height map maps, they’re often kind of a bad “scale,” as are a lot of custom maps. All of these feel like they’re the right amount of “noisy” that you get features that feel scaled more appropriate to your buildings and cities. On the other extreme, there’s some handcrafted maps that go way, way too far in the existing infrastructure and things.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
all the maps always have people crying about few resources... they don't deplete so why is it an issue? Might as well just play a flat map with giant resource blobs painted all over it you babies!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The entire point of the game is building big infrastructure to lug poo poo around, I also do not understand why you would want plentiful resources close together, it gives you no reason to build big things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In my first respectable start I mixed workers and passengers in the busses and now I have to start over

Are there ways to speed up construction . I want to self build everything but it’s like literally … slow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Workers perform all kinds of labour on site, but most construction tasks also go faster with the right machinery. Excavators are usually good for digging/concrete pouring, cranes help with the framing. Add a couple of excavators and especially tower cranes to your depots and make sure they are getting to site (use big flatbeds to move them quickly)

Other than that it does just take a long time, you can throw money at it to speed it up but labour time is expensive.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

all the maps always have people crying about few resources... they don't deplete so why is it an issue? Might as well just play a flat map with giant resource blobs painted all over it you babies!

I think a lot of people brutally misunderstand what the game is trying to do and play it purely like a bizarre city builder without realizing that industry in this game is really the thrust, not a checkbox like a hospital in Cities Skylines or something. They simply want to set and forget that to get to the “real game” of building their city and don’t realize it’s all closely tied in.

Or similarly, they realize it’s tied in but would rather ignore it as much as possible.

Or it’s just purely “number brain” and they dislike not being able to have max number. I’ve seen some people on their discord having trouble trying to staff like, 4 thousand people in multiple steel mills and mines and processing that are all built as closely as possible together. I don’t know why they do this, maybe it’s a challenge or coming from factorio or something.

My ideal resource set up would basically be large swaths of low concentrations that are easy to access and higher concentrations with logistical challenges.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have three construction offices working together

I think actually if there were hundreds of workers and the materials was next door it would be fine

Maybe it’s scaled for endgame production idk

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I think a lot of people brutally misunderstand what the game is trying to do and play it purely like a bizarre city builder without realizing that industry in this game is really the thrust, not a checkbox like a hospital in Cities Skylines or something. They simply want to set and forget that to get to the “real game” of building their city and don’t realize it’s all closely tied in.

Or similarly, they realize it’s tied in but would rather ignore it as much as possible.

Or it’s just purely “number brain” and they dislike not being able to have max number. I’ve seen some people on their discord having trouble trying to staff like, 4 thousand people in multiple steel mills and mines and processing that are all built as closely as possible together. I don’t know why they do this, maybe it’s a challenge or coming from factorio or something.

My ideal resource set up would basically be large swaths of low concentrations that are easy to access and higher concentrations with logistical challenges.

I'm guilty of the latter...latter?

I drop 2 or 3 quarries on a stone area if I can, try and tie them all into some monstrous all-encompassing gravel manufacturing process and then get it out to my settlements from there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would generally say that most of the high end industry buildings are best built as single units, and then expand out from there, so feeding one steel mill is the appropriate level of centralization, as the supporting industries will take a lot of staffing.

Alternatively, you can make a primary producer such as a mine, and then expand out from there. I have built very big complexes around a coal mine for example because lots of thing use it.

I hope with rail distro offices it will be easier to build more distributed industrial sites and then centralize their production at a port or something for export.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

My goal is always to build a selfsustaining country that don't necessarily need to import anything, and then a beautiful city on top of it all. For me this is the game of a 1950's postwar father-of-the-nation trying to force a utopia through concrete and steel and good intentions, who somehow also justifies a need for a secret police spying on everyone.

This game wouldn't be a tenth as good if it wasn't so unstoppably charming. I think that drat music is to blame for a lot of it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
why is gravel the worst? Spending hours trying to sculpt a vertical mountain face to get a mine that doesn't give awful 90 degree cities skylines elevation changes

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I just saw someone has released a map Middle Earth on the workshop. Sometimes it’s not the physical map that makes it good, but the entertainment you can create with it

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

My goal is always to build a selfsustaining country that don't necessarily need to import anything, and then a beautiful city on top of it all. For me this is the game of a 1950's postwar father-of-the-nation trying to force a utopia through concrete and steel and good intentions, who somehow also justifies a need for a secret police spying on everyone.

This game wouldn't be a tenth as good if it wasn't so unstoppably charming. I think that drat music is to blame for a lot of it.

There’s a “Sovietwave” YouTube stream that only has a few hours of music but fits pretty well with the same music in the game, which does absolutely own.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

why is gravel the worst? Spending hours trying to sculpt a vertical mountain face to get a mine that doesn't give awful 90 degree cities skylines elevation changes

You don’t need high concentrations of the mine, it takes a LOT to overwhelm even a single gravel processor. It took me having like 50 dump trucks with an endless slate of construction to really have any drought of gravel after a time. If you build a lot of stockpiles to keep building reserves when you aren’t drawing down on it then one processor should be enough for quite awhile. I have generally fed a processor with two mines, but there’s no good formula I can give you as it varies a lot based on the trucks you have, distance from mine to processor, excavators at the mine, etc.

Still, I think it’s very easy to overbuild a lot of things, especially gravel early on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The correct gravel set up, mechanically and aesthetically:

2 stone mines. Carve a decent chunk out of a hill to flat if that's where your stone is. It's a quarry after all
Beside the stone mine, include room for a truck unloader as near as you can to the quarry
So far you have 2 mines and 2 truck unloading stations
Switchback your dirt roads down to the prevailing lowland level
Start with one conveyor shack to combine your 2 unloading stations, hopefully at ground level, if not maybe a nearly level crook on the hill.
With your combined stream, go to 1 or 2 truck loading stations. Maybe 3 if they are necessarily far from the processor for reasons
Build the gravel processor, with road entrance as near as possible to the truck loading stations.

Now buy 2 of the giant mine dump trucks for each mine, and waypoint them to the truck unloaded

If you were able to exactingly place your truck loading stations meter meters away from the processor, buy 3-4 of the giant mine dump trucks. Else buy 6-8 of the normal dump trucks. These waypoint from the truck loaded to the gravel processor.

Boom, an effective, cool looking gravel quarry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My suggestion would generally be to put the quarry as close to the gravel building as possible and try to get some of the big 25 ton tonka trucks to staff them, two or three of those can keep a gravel building operating almost all the time if they're next to it.

Then shift the gravel via conveyor from there into an aggregate storage, after that it's up to you to figure out what you want to do with it because the main issue is transporting the poo poo. Which itself is another good reason to not centralize gravel production, it's often easier to just produce it locally than it is to try and ship piles of it around the place.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The correct aesthetic is the mines high up and dirt road switchbacks, but you absolutely want an endless train of the massive Belorussian dump trucks going back and forth up the entire length. It looks cool!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does but they whinge like hell when they back up because you're not using enough gravel.

Would be nice if we could just add more parking to any structure.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It does but they whinge like hell when they back up because you're not using enough gravel.

Would be nice if we could just add more parking to any structure.

I don’t mind this except when it ends up tying up an entire technical office worth of plows come winter. They need like a special distribution office or to your point, like parking, for the processor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love the winter in this game . It hits hard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don’t mind this except when it ends up tying up an entire technical office worth of plows come winter. They need like a special distribution office or to your point, like parking, for the processor.

Yeah that's the main problem I have, the blocked road fucks up other traffic. That's why I go with one truck per quarry and a small number of quarries.

I would still honestly like it if mines produced gravel/stone as a byproduct and the challenge was literally just getting rid of it. Would fit well I think with the general theme of logistics. Also still want mines with actual underground elements so you can dig horizontal portals at the base of hills.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I have the quarry and gravel mill with conveyors because having the most-used resource in the game be gated behind how fast trucks can unload is dumb as hell. Games takes long enough to play as it is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have been seduced by belt life .

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

In fairness, if someone modded in conveyor belts for every resource, I would probably use them.

Yes this includes workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
People already use the ski-lifts for that. I can't bring myself to do it because ~aesthetics~