Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yes good! I was satisfied with the colorization options of the mech but I will welcome even more customization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SkyeAuroline posted:

Advanced miner confirmed.

Wonder what exactly advanced miner means.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

I would assume it mines at a higher output rate than standard ones.

I myself am wondering what the proliferator is.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cimber posted:

I would assume it mines at a higher output rate than standard ones.

This would be the boring way to do it. Goddamn I am not a fan at all of mining especially later in the game.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

Maybe an orbital collector but for planets (or whole patches at least).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A planetary miner where you can tell it to mine all nodes of a single type all at once would be incredible.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
but how will I be able to cram 15 miners around a tiny node to juice my output then huh

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Placing miners is by far the most fiddly and boring thing when mass expanding operations. Advanced Miner mod already helps but an official / better version would be nice.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
How do you change the color of your Icarus?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Grevlek posted:

How do you change the color of your Icarus?

In the character menu (where you put fuel into it) there are a bunch of color bars under the mech schematic. The game isn't telling you which bar corresponds with what part of the icarus but each bit is full rgb colorization.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Alctel posted:

lmao why are their news release videos always so loving weird

I mean I'm super into it, it's just funny

i'm glad someone is keeping the 2000s corporate powerpoint aesthetic alive

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’m down for every possible version of what Advanced Miner could mean; I’m running a mod right now which adds mk2 and 3 miners and they just have increasing work areas and per-vein mining rates which is fine.

I’d really like it to be another variant of an IP tower which mines everything in an area and makes it available for normal IP towers to pick up, like orbital collectors do, though, or even a planetary miner. Seems like there’s space to eventually add a planetary option after some intermediate, though.

It would be neat to, say, assemble a station in orbit of a planet in a similar fashion to how a Dyson Sphere is built, by assembling cargo rockets with a different loadout and launching them. Maybe a follow-on stage, to start exploiting the surface, which needs different supplies, delivered by freighter now that there’s a station to receive them, and maybe which requires moving all of the loose surface resources somewhere. You could have, like, a creeping Foundation spread until the world is a perfect gray marble being slowly siphoned of every remaining useful or unique about it, like CentreBrain intended!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

LonsomeSon posted:

I’m down for every possible version of what Advanced Miner could mean; I’m running a mod right now which adds mk2 and 3 miners and they just have increasing work areas and per-vein mining rates which is fine.

Yeah, if the size of the mining area increases enough it becomes possible to make a blueprint of miners from one side the mines the whole patch, barring weird cases like two patches being extremely close to each other and getting caught in the area as well.

Alternately, advanced miners could also be something that builds directly on top of veins, which would make them pretty much indistinguishable from Factorio miners, but why reinvent the wheel :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Devoted an entire hemisphere of a planet to producing 4 green/second (1/4 of which goes right into space warper creation), fed by about 6 different mining complexes in 2 different systems.

Took hours to set up, but I have the full rainbow now. :sparkles:

Next step is to finally finish setting up sulfur ocean mining and replacing every single oil setup on my homeworld except for plastic production with interstellar transport. Fire ice and those purple crystals are a lifesaver.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I kind of wish DSP had infinite deposits, and tech access was based upon meeting thresholds of cubes/second. I don't know, it would just feel far more thematically appropriate to me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think upgrading drones to go out and moon/asteroid mine would be a good thematic infinite source.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

So I ran into a problem where most of my mining outposts were powered by micro-fusion, but I had started off-planeting the super-magnets from my initial manufacturing world to my sphere assembly world 30ly away which resulted in eventually choking off green fuel rods.

Now, I had made as sort of a high-videogames vanity projects an accumulator export world in an outpost system, initially with 20 chargers and like 900mw of wind (it's a wind: now with 50% bonus wind! planet), but never used it except to put down 20 dischargers on the sphere world while setting it up. Since then, partially due to draining stockpiles I had set up on the homeworld, I'd assembled like 35gw of sphere, I set up 5gw of receivers, demolished the discharger plant, and then used the vanity project to restart the thermal arrays on my foundry and home worlds (they import hydrogen to burn, and their sorters needed a minimum amount of power to pick up more hydrogen).

But while there's 100m iron ore being mined on the assembly world, I had broken the Covenant of the Forge World in order to smelt it on-site and in fact had started requesting Iron Ore from the outposts to there as well; this probably contributed to the death spiral around the super-magnets. A couple of outpost worlds are powered by thermal arrays since they can source hydrogen from an in-system gas giant which I covered in order to get to its Deuterium and are sending iron, but most of them are waiting for more loving green fuel rods since we're getting like 10% of the ore we need (and the assembly world is still requesting it since it takes two capacitor charges to get there and I'm doing damage control).

Fortunately the battery world 1) had manufacturing for new accumulators on-site, including a pathetic amount of on-world iron ore just enough to run 11 assemblers for them, and 2) had been requesting solar panels so I could fill the gaps between the wind turbines (also 9% bonus insolation, despite 50% more wind imply somewhat of a denser than standard atmosphere), if I ever wanted to continue the vanity project, and had about 8,000 in stock.

The resolution is that the battery world now has, and I checked with blueprints, 13,327 solar panels in addition to its 3,800 and change wind turbines, providing an hourly average of 4.56gw of capacity and serving 80 chargers. Green fuel rods on the homeworld are back up to 1200/m and I only needed to convert three outpost planets over to accumulator rather than fusion power before everywhere else started to light up and send shipments again. Both the homeworld and the forge world have 20-discharger setups as backup against future problems, and I've finally wrapped my head around a key fact I should really have considered: accumulators are the only really sustainable method of remote power supply, in that an empty one can go back to the battery world to be charged again and again and again. I posted a long time ago about how it's silly that burning hydrogen fuel rods burns the titanium in them, but deuteron rods do the same loving thing, and what they're burning is alloys and supermagnets. I already had everything ready to go to use dischargers to power outposts but I decided to just go with fusion anyway because "it's easier" lmao.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Rynoto posted:

Placing miners is by far the most fiddly and boring thing when mass expanding operations. Advanced Miner mod already helps but an official / better version would be nice.

I actually looked at and then installed that mod extremely late-game in my last playthrough (after my galactic scale bug got fixed) to alleviate the annoyance with mass-mining-planet setup, and then ended up burning out before really using it.

I assume its usefulness diminishes towards the late game due to high veins utilization levels, but I definitely had it on my must haves for the next playthrough, so I'm curious about the implementation of the vanilla version in the next Patch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pharnakes posted:

I kind of wish DSP had infinite deposits, and tech access was based upon meeting thresholds of cubes/second. I don't know, it would just feel far more thematically appropriate to me.
Aren't deposits effectively infinite with mining upgrades or did they change that?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Khorne posted:

Aren't deposits effectively infinite with mining upgrades or did they change that?
That's there. But it takes so many upgrades to be effectively infinite, and still a lot to be nearly infinite, that you probably don't have any reason to expand once you're nearly infinite unless you want to have 20GB of dyson sphere plans in your save cause you're making a different dickbutt on every type of star.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just hope that once they get combat down the crew works on multiplayer. I realize it's down their list (to the point they didn't think it was needed until the internet devoured their game and cried for the ability to play with friends) after a few other things but I'd love multiplayer DSP.

Oh and of course work on save/data compression for the spheres so I can put a different dickbutt on every type of star.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Pharnakes posted:

It does. There's a setting on making a new game to provide unlimited resources on deposits

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Khorne posted:

Yea, by level 30 you're well into the 'you're getting more resources per extra research level than it costs'.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mmkay posted:

Yea, by level 30 you're well into the 'you're getting more resources per extra research level than it costs'.

Here's a good visualization of that. At level 30 you've halved the effective ore depletion, at level 50 you're down to a quarter, and by level 100 you're down to like 2-3%. There's a point where if you save your rare mineral veins you can effectively just use them forever without depletion because your research will outpace the consumption

Edit: Here's how many veins you'll need to saturate a blue belt at each level, pretty great info to have

Shipon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Shipon posted:

Here's a good visualization of that. At level 30 you've halved the effective ore depletion, at level 50 you're down to a quarter, and by level 100 you're down to like 2-3%. There's a point where if you save your rare mineral veins you can effectively just use them forever without depletion because your research will outpace the consumption

Edit: Here's how many veins you'll need to saturate a blue belt at each level, pretty great info to have

this is good poo poo, thanks for posting

completely unrelated, I stumbled onto some deep dark arts on youtube today - introducing entirely new depths to the term "belt spaghetti":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzsgBYplAHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jux20zfdrU8

half-height belts are only the beginning - here we've got belt heights in increments of 0.25 units, climbing one height unit in exactly one grid square, climbing arbitrarily high in exactly two grid squares by doubling the belt back on itself, straight up vertical belts, belt weaving, avoiding collision detection by moving belts by fractions of a grid square, and loving belt helixes. it's some wacky poo poo and it looks hilarious. boring presenter but very well worth watching to see the belt building interface broken six ways from sunday.

really cool change of pace from just stamping logistics station-fed blueprints all day long. retvrn to spaghetti

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 13, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Those videos are wild! Belt bending indeed!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I'm at the stage of the game where I need to start constructing a Dyson Sphere, and the sheer scale of it is mind-boggling.

Initially my thought was to work out a blueprint for 1 rocket/second from first principals, perfectly balanced so that I can simply plonk one down and make sure it's fed with raw (i.e. minable) resources. Then I looked at the complexity of what I would need to build and thought gently caress that.

Now I'm thinking a different approach: create a blueprint for the production of a full blue belt of each sub component and sub-sub component. Plonk them down, and have rocket production based purely on interstellar logistics, and then whenever there's a shortfall of components I trace back to where the shortfall is coming from, and just lay down another blueprint. For example here's 30 Photon combiners/second.

I'll also make a blueprint for 30 Graphene/second. Then I'll make a blueprint for 30 Solar Sails/second, and that's one of the components for a Dyson Sphere component. If my production ceases or slows because of a lack of Solar Sails I'll take a look as to where the shortage is, and if it's in Photon Combiners then I'll just whack down another blue belt's worth because gently caress manually counting exactly how much input I need.

Thoughts?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

to build my sphere first i built the stuff to make the stuff for the rockets, then i built the rockets, so your plan sounds solid to me

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There are a couple of ways you can approach scaling up, or maybe it's more of a sliding scale. On one end you have your first idea, basically "black boxes" that only take raw materials (or usually metal ingots, glass, diamonds and the like) as inputs and deliver finished outputs. The advantage of this is that you never have to chase bottlenecks around the entire star cluster, all you need to do if things are stalling is add more smelters anywhere you like. The downsides are that transporting raw materials is relatively inefficient, and that some of these black boxes get pretty gigantic. On the other end you have a very modular approach where you build things around single logistics stations; 2-4 ingredients in and one product out. Much easier to build but makes for an almost completely inscrutable system.

I'm trying something slightly different in my current game where I'm basically trying to minimize interplanetary transports. That means a lot of staring at recipes to figure out which components are good/bad to transport and which ones ought to be produced close to each other, and then staring at a big rear end spreadsheet of all planets in the cluster (there's a mod for generating this, it's great) to figure out where to put the production sites. Ask me about compression ratios :v:

For example, here are some rules I've made up for myself:
- never transport graphene - transport fire ice instead, and you'll get some free hydrogen with it in the box
- frame materials should be produced on a planet with spiniform crystals because the major ingredient is carbon nanotubes
- never transport sulfuric acid, put all titanium alloy production on a planet with sulfuric acid oceans instead
- microcrystalline components are a great candidate for transport despite only ever being used in one recipe (processors). this is because of the way the planet generation works; you don't really get many or even any planets that have plenty of all three of iron/copper/silicon
- casimir crystals should be produced on a planet orbiting a fire ice gas giant (free hydrogen and graphene, only need to import titanium crystals)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 13, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I like the idea presented in this guide - ship specific products around and try to minimize the amount of different stuff that's flying around which can be bottlenecked as much as possible. When I first started using towers, I'd put everything on them, gears, red engines, etc. It gets old really fast to figure out what's bottlenecking you and I was only working on a single planet then. Here there are multiple tiers - smelted materials, common intermediates (like CPUs, graphene or green engines) and finished products (science, rockets, etc); it's also quite easy to plop down a tileable factory.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mmkay posted:

I like the idea presented in this guide - ship specific products around and try to minimize the amount of different stuff that's flying around which can be bottlenecked as much as possible. When I first started using towers, I'd put everything on them, gears, red engines, etc. It gets old really fast to figure out what's bottlenecking you and I was only working on a single planet then. Here there are multiple tiers - smelted materials, common intermediates (like CPUs, graphene or green engines) and finished products (science, rockets, etc); it's also quite easy to plop down a tileable factory.

That's pretty cool and really well thought out. There's a lot of things to like about it - I particularly appreciate people who don't just build perfectly straight and symmetrical lines of assemblers all over the place. I'd say it falls very close to the "black box" end of the spectrum, with only the multi-use intermediates being separated into their own black boxes (turbines, processors, titanium alloy).

I have some nitpicky complaints about details though (because of course I do :v:) - specifically, my main beef with it is that by splitting things that way you'll almost inevitably end up shipping around a lot of very low compression materials (e.g. ingots) because of how the planet resource allocation works. For example if you look at the suggested particle broadband build it takes refined oil and graphite as inputs in order to make plastic locally, which kinda makes sense intuitively since once you are mining organic crystals plastic isn't used in any other recipe. However, planets that have oil almost always have a lot of coal too, and refined oil isn't used for anything other than plastic in the late game either, so why ship those products when you can just ship plastic instead with a 3:1 compression ratio? I don't think that makes bottlenecks meaningfully harder to find since - again - plastic isn't used for anything else. I'm also kinda weirded out by the decision to produce deuteron fuel rods locally for the rockets, even though it's at the wrong tier in the system he defines at the top of the guide - it takes such a comical amount of deuterium that the ostensibly tileable blueprint only tiles 3 times before you need to add another belt of deuterium. Builds with that many inputs are also kinda awkward to arrange logistics for.

Staring at this though makes me realize that I had a brainfart and making microcrystalline components modular didn't really gain me anything - assuming you have one planet with iron/copper and another with copper/silicon (as I do) then you can put the processor factory on either one and either ship microcrystalline components one way or iron ingots the other way - it'll be the same transport volume per processor regardless.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you’re having IP bottlenecks you just need to double your number of sending and receiving towers to get more freighters on the job.

I advocate for forge worlds because it puts all of your smelting bottlenecks in one place for simplicity of diagnosis. My current bullshit is become large enough that I might wind up starting another forge world, or leaving the generalist one in place and adding specialized forge worlds to cover new demand; it’s necessarily going to complicate my logistics but the original one is running out of space.

It also allows me to look at cluster-wide theoretical maximum demand and supply numbers, and just plan around capacity for those, as well as centralizing high-power-demand functions into a few very-high-demand locales for ease of fuel supplies.

It’s roughly the same logic as using a single high-insolation world as a central charging and distribution point for pre-sphere accumulators; I know I have say 100 chargers, and each outpost gets 4-8 chargers depending on how dense the mines are, I know I can run a maximum of 25 mining outpost worlds before expanding the accumulator supply (and even then they’re almost never going to be running flat-out, so there’s a little margin).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

LonsomeSon posted:

If you’re having IP bottlenecks you just need to double your number of sending and receiving towers to get more freighters on the job.

I don't, I'm mostly doing things this way to mix it up a bit :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Super Magnetic Rings are the worst. Trying to consolidate them on a single line is enormously fiddly, and they're needed for so much critical stuff.

So I took the time to do it right.

First, I created an ultracompact Turbine line. This bad boy creates 4 turbines/second from raw smeltables (iron up the top, magnets and copper in the top 2 of the cluster of 3 belts down the bottom, output is the very bottom belt)

Of note is that there's technically one more Magnetic Coil assembler than is strictly required for ideal ratios: this is because each can supply 3 motor/turbine assemblers with the required magnetic coils, but all links between assemblers are direct insertion to save space and massive amounts of conveyor belts. The extra Magnetic Coil assembler exists due to the way the various assemblers tessellate. Why 4 turbines/second? Because any more and the iron requirements start to exceed the capacity of a single blue belt.

Then, I extended it. You can run 4 of these quite easily off of a single Interstellar Logistics station. Share one of the Copper outputs (because the Magnetic Coils require less than half a blue belt of copper) and all of a sudden you've got a single output slot on the station for Energetic Graphite. Feed that down and split it, and feed the outputs of the Turbine lines (as well as their Magnet input belts) downwards as well, and you can run exactly 6 Super Magnetic Ring assemblers per line. The outcome? 8 Super Magnetic Rings per second. Output is in the central splitter on the right hand side.

If you wanted to you could loop the output around to the providing station, however I've elected to stock Warpers in all of my Interstellar Logistics stations because I'm pivoting to decentralised production. That said, set up 4 of these bad boys around a single supply station and you've got (just over) a blue belt per second worth of Super Magnetic Rings - providing you can keep them fed.

Have a blueprint string: https://pastebin.com/VFYG2Kby (appears to be pending moderation, but should be available soon, let me know if you want it and are having issues after a while and I'll see where else I can host).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Good poo poo! Turbine builds are fun, there's a bunch of ways to make them interesting with direct injection.

Relatedly, in my quest for ~perfect ratios~ with arbitrary rules against not shipping certain things (like graphene in this case - fire ice is just graphene + hydrogen), I came up with this contraption for making Casimir crystals:

Casimir crystals are of course input limited on hydrogen - the size of the array (or sub-array, or tile, I guess) depends on how many assemblers you can feed from a single belt of hydrogen. It turns out that if you're using tier 3 assemblers with their 1.5x crafting speed bonus you can feed 6.7 assemblers from a single blue belt of hydrogen. This is obviously intolerable - it's not a perfect ratio, and I refuse to use tier 2 assemblers. Fortunately for my sense of aesthetics though it turns out that if you make graphene from fire ice, the extra bit of hydrogen you get from that is exactly the right amount needed to supplement the casimir crystal assemblers, so you end up with a perfectly balanced setup with a 3:4 chemical plant to tier 3 assembler ratio, that can feed 8 assemblers from a single belt of hydrogen input. This setup just tiles it so it takes two full belts of hydrogen as input. I could extend it in the east-west direction by injecting more hydrogen from the sides, too.

This setup uses 127 sorters for 16 assemblers and 12 chemical plants :v: (yes it's an odd number, the setup isn't perfectly symmetrical, get off my lawn).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 14, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Some more vague details on Icarus customization, sphere blueprints, and the "Proliferator" (accelerant). Most notable: looks like geothermal power sources in that last image.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Okay so a proliferator coats items in something which.... makes them get processed faster?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Holy poo poo a Gundam

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ice Fist posted:

Okay so a proliferator coats items in something which.... makes them get processed faster?
Move faster on a conveyor, looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Move faster on a conveyor, looks like.

What’s cool is either or both of these is possible, but if it’s only one of them they have basically opposite effects on the number of machines you’ll be able to feed with a full belt. Cool cool cool